PDA

View Full Version : normally aspirated IRL cars a monotonous, painful roar

SurfaceUnits
05-11-05, 12:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the normally aspirated IRL cars are too loud? It's not too bad at Indy as the cars get spread out and the bleachers cut down on the sound. However, at the shorter tracks, like Pikes Peak and Phoenix, the sound becomes a monotonous, painful roar, even with ear plugs.

Curt Cave-in: I agree with you. The current Indy-car engines are too loud. A sound expert would tell you it's the pitch of the engines. Whatever it is, I wish it was a little sweeter on the ears. :cry:

RacinM3
05-11-05, 12:37 PM
haha....that's what happens when you don't have TURBOS to control some of the noise. F1 cars are also painfully loud, but at least the exhaust note is more "musical".

NASCAR cars/trucks are similarly painful and monotonous. I remember a few years back when CART was at CA Speedway, the NASCAR trucks were there. Watching from pit lane was even worse from the stands, because the exhausts exited out the drivers side.

oddlycalm
05-11-05, 12:45 PM
Worst sounding racing cars of all time. Loud and totally annoying. All unmuffled NA engines are loud, but in over 40yrs of attending races I've never come across anything as unpleasant sounding as a Crapwagon at full flatulence.

oc

Brickman
05-11-05, 12:52 PM
The 4.0 was ear splitting. Louder than a Cup car. The 3.5 was better, 3.5 with different degree of crank better still... Even the 3.5 with Toyota and Honda power was ok. But the 3.0 pushed the levels back up.

They have yet to get the engine right. IMHO

pchall
05-11-05, 12:57 PM
The sound of IRL cars is still too loud and all wrong as of 2004 Kentucky in my book. Of course, the crapwagon pilots say the "pitch" of their rubberbands is much better than before, but idiots like MA etc. don't know the difference between pitch and timbre...

A bee-farter is a bee-farter no matter what the year spec ....

Methanolandbrats
05-11-05, 01:08 PM
They have yet to get the engine right. IMHOThey have yet to get anything right.

Wheel-Nut
05-11-05, 02:41 PM
Harleys sound like crap too.

Easy
05-11-05, 02:45 PM
The irl 3.0's are bad but not as painful as the M3 GTR V8 that ran in ALMS. All four of those bastards nose to tail for 3 hours. That made me want to go home and cry like a little girl.

Michaelhatesfans
05-11-05, 02:51 PM
I've never actually heard an IRL car. Live or televised.

Sean O'Gorman
05-11-05, 04:36 PM
The irl 3.0's are bad but not as painful as the M3 GTR V8 that ran in ALMS. All four of those bastards nose to tail for 3 hours. That made me want to go home and cry like a little girl.

You must be a little girl then, those cars sounded awesome. ;)

Anyway, you are all a bunch of whiners, aside from the 4.0L IRL engines (which I never heard), I've never heard an unpleasant race car. Its just the looks of the IRL cars that get the :thumdown:

devilmaster
05-11-05, 04:41 PM
You must be a little girl then, those cars sounded awesome. ;)

Anyway, you are all a bunch of whiners, aside from the 4.0L IRL engines (which I never heard), I've never heard an unpleasant race car. Its just the looks of the IRL cars that get the :thumdown:

The only thing thats worse than an irl engine (that i've heard) is the IPS engines at full speed and rev-limiting down about 3/4 of IMS's front straight.

Michaelhatesfans
05-11-05, 04:55 PM
You obviously missed the IMSA RX-7's of the 80's, then. :eek: When I eventually end up with a hearing aid, I'm going to blame them!

Steve99
05-11-05, 06:16 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the normally aspirated IRL cars are too loud? It's not too bad at Indy as the cars get spread out and the bleachers cut down on the sound. However, at the shorter tracks, like Pikes Peak and Phoenix, the sound becomes a monotonous, painful roar, even with ear plugs.

Curt Cave-in: I agree with you. The current Indy-car engines are too loud. A sound expert would tell you it's the pitch of the engines. Whatever it is, I wish it was a little sweeter on the ears. :cry:
When I first started reading this I was wondering why SurfaceUnits was going to so many earl races.

coolhand
05-11-05, 07:35 PM
The only thing thats worse than an irl engine (that i've heard) is the IPS engines at full speed and rev-limiting down about 3/4 of IMS's front straight.
i have not thought about that. That would be annoying to hear an engine top out for that long of a period, especially with the limiter.

Paintergeek
05-11-05, 09:39 PM
Ive said this since the firsdt NA IRL engine ran. Its the continued nascarification of the IRL..............

Methanolandbrats
05-11-05, 09:46 PM
You obviously missed the IMSA RX-7's of the 80's, then. :eek: When I eventually end up with a hearing aid, I'm going to blame them!Yup, the GTP Mazda coming headed for turn 5 at Road America was absolutly f'n painful. That was with earplugs. I dreaded that bitch going by. :D

oddlycalm
05-11-05, 10:45 PM
The irl 3.0's are bad but not as painful as the M3 GTR V8 that ran in ALMS. All four of those bastards nose to tail for 3 hours. I didn't mind them at speed, but I was next to one when it fired up in the paddock and even with earplugs it was loud. When revved off idle it sounded like it could de-bark a tree at 20 paces.

The Corvettes were actually quite a bit louder on the track though, and were regularly exceeding 130db that year. That my friends is loud. To put it in perspective, a 30-06 rifle shot is 130db.

Loud doesn't necessarily equal annoying though. As pchall posted, there is pitch, timbre and amplititude. Loud is only about amplitude.

oc

devilmaster
05-11-05, 11:32 PM
i have not thought about that. That would be annoying to hear an engine top out for that long of a period, especially with the limiter.

I was there for one day, a quick stopover on my way to St. Louis for a baseball weekend.

Paid 5 dollars to FTG to get in(too much, IMO) but Cam and I heckled TG twice, and a few others down pit row..... :)

It was IPS quals and twirl practice that day. And i'm not exaggerating bout the junior cars rev-limiting down the front stretch.....

pchall
05-11-05, 11:37 PM

Its not the pitch, its the timbre!

<--- used to be a sound expert, but the band broke up :(

B3RACER1a
05-11-05, 11:40 PM
Pitch would be the frequency, where timbre would be the 'quality'? right?

SurfaceUnits
05-12-05, 12:04 AM
When I first started reading this I was wondering why SurfaceUnits was going to so many earl races.I only go on Fridays to laugh at mikey when neither of his fans show up. "Look at this empty place mikey, pathetic. They should shut this abortion for a racing league down immediately." "Hey mikey, you know who the only people who like earl are? The grounds keepers, because there's nothing to clean up when nobody shows up." :shakehead

Michaelhatesfans
05-12-05, 12:41 AM
Yup, the GTP Mazda coming headed for turn 5 at Road America was absolutly f'n painful. That was with earplugs. I dreaded that bitch going by. :D
By the time Mazda got their GTP program going, I was already deaf from these little bastards,

http://jl.aichholzer.free.fr/Mazda/Voitures/rx7gtu.jpg

coolhand
05-12-05, 01:00 AM
LOL^^^ :laugh:

Lizzerd
05-12-05, 01:01 AM
I was there for one day, a quick stopover on my way to St. Louis for a baseball weekend.

Paid 5 dollars to FTG to get in(too much, IMO) but Cam and I heckled TG twice, and a few others down pit row..... :)

It was IPS quals and twirl practice that day. And i'm not exaggerating bout the junior cars rev-limiting down the front stretch.....

Yeah, I was there with 'ya too. The next day or two you posted a "I have seen the light" thread.

Wheel-Nut
05-12-05, 09:32 AM

Oh NO!! Not another music thread!! :gomer:

Easy
05-12-05, 09:55 AM
Loud doesn't necessarily equal annoying though. As pchall posted, there is pitch, timbre and amplititude. Loud is only about amplitude.

oc

It wasn't the db level of those V8 M3's it was the way the sound hit my ears. The vette's have a lower pitch that doesn't bother me at all but the M3's had a high pitch that made me involuntarily jam my fingers halfway to my brain. It was also my fourth straight day of being at the track from 7:30 on so that may have contributed to my intolerance for noise.

devilmaster
05-12-05, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I was there with 'ya too. The next day or two you posted a "I have seen the light" thread.

'mmmm.... thats good satire' ;)

pchall
05-12-05, 12:12 PM

But they at least have the excuse of using a venerable ancient design.

pchall
05-12-05, 12:19 PM

Right -- the overtones and the envelope of the note (changes in amplitude over time) make up the "timbre," which allows us to distinguishe between musical instruments and, in this case, Cosworth XFEs and Crapmotors.

cameraman
05-12-05, 12:19 PM

Even more stupid are the bikes that try to copy the Harley's racket.