PDA

View Full Version : For those in or near or who just know a lot about the Washington D.C area...

rabbit
05-10-05, 05:56 PM
I will be working in our nation's capital for 11 weeks this summer, from May 24-Aug 6. What I want to know is, what race tracks are nearby in case I need to get a quick fix some weekend? Dirt tracks, club courses, anything. I'm willing to drive a couple hours, but not much more than that since I'll have to rent a car to go.

Any suggestions or other advice about living in the D.C. area is appreciated.

nissan gtp
05-10-05, 06:49 PM
rabbit, I'm 50 miles from DC, and unless you're a nascar fan :gomer: it's a long drive.

all the museums, etc, you could possibly want, mostly free

DC has decent nite-life, music, etc

www.930.com << great place
www.blackcatdc.com << a leetle bit rought around the edges
www.wolf-trap.org << high-end outdoor stuff
www.merriweathermusic.com << lots of stuff, another outdoor (w/ some covered)
www.nissanpavilion.com << big shows, great name :D

racing:
Richmond, cabs and the earl (and iroc) :p 2 hours
Summit Point WVa, club racing and driving days ??3 hours
VIR, real races, bikes is probably the hot ticket, but 6 hrs or so
Watking Glenn, 'bout 8 hours plus/minus. Historic GP in Sept is good
Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, you know where those are
Budds Creek MD, motocross bikes and such

there's a nice go-carting joint out near Dulles

PS, nice timing BTW, the weather sucks ass that time of year. traffic sucks all the time.

extramundane
05-10-05, 07:25 PM
www.930.com << great place
www.blackcatdc.com << a leetle bit rought around the edges
www.wolf-trap.org << high-end outdoor stuff
www.merriweathermusic.com << lots of stuff, another outdoor (w/ some covered)
www.nissanpavilion.com << big shows, great name :D

I disagree slightly:

930 = overpriced & overfilled.
Black Cat = best rock venue in DC.
Wolf Trap = PBS ;)
Merriweather Post = they haven't torn that thing down yet?
Nissan Pavillion = screw Clear Channel

And be sure to hit up The Brickskeller (http://www.thebrickskeller.com/) and try at least 1 each of their over 1000 beers.

racing:
Richmond, cabs and the earl (and iroc) :p 2 hours

It ain't worth it.

nissan gtp
05-10-05, 07:59 PM
And be sure to hit up The Brickskeller (http://www.thebrickskeller.com/) and try at least 1 each of their over 1000 beers.

start at one end and work your way down :thumbup:

Elmo T
05-10-05, 08:19 PM
Try looking at Williams Grove Speedway in PA. About a 2 hour ride I guess.

Williams Grove Speedway (http://www.williamsgrove.com/)

racer2c
05-10-05, 11:11 PM
D.C. sux. Don't go.

rabbit
05-11-05, 01:31 AM
D.C. sux. Don't go.
It's only temporary. I'm working on an internship at the DC Office of the Attorney General. I can fly DC to C-bus round trip for $108, so I'll probably come home on a couple weekends. My wife and daughter are going to have to stay here while I'm gone. :(

rabbit
05-11-05, 01:33 AM
Try looking at Williams Grove Speedway in PA. About a 2 hour ride I guess.

Williams Grove Speedway (http://www.williamsgrove.com/)I found that one earlier; looks pretty good. :thumbup:

Napoleon
05-11-05, 10:52 AM
D.C. sux. Don't go.

Huh? Its more or less tied with Toronto as my favorate city.

Rabbit drop me a line on what the internship is about. Still in newspapers?

I have never made the Summit Point to DC trip but it can not be all that far (1 hour or so?)

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

They actually have a small group of spectators show up and watch things like club races and all.

extramundane
05-11-05, 01:25 PM
I have never made the Summit Point to DC trip but it can not be all that far (1 hour or so?)

It's ~70 miles from DC proper, which means driving time can be anywhere from about an hour to Get-Me-Out-Of-This-Car-Before-I-Kill-Someone, depending on how cooperative and charitable your fellow DC-area motorists are on that particular day. A local club racer told me that it's often quicker to get there from here (~160 miles) than from DC.

devilmaster
05-11-05, 01:42 PM
They actually have a small group of spectators show up and watch things like club races and all.

Are they called jinxes too? ;) :D

racer2c
05-11-05, 02:42 PM
Huh? Its more or less tied with Toronto as my favorate city.

Rabbit drop me a line on what the internship is about. Still in newspapers?

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

From someone who grew up in the DC 'burbs, and lived within an hour of the city for the last 35 years...where do I begin?

Once you grow tired of the Smithsonian, which is possible, and you've seen the monuments, which doesn't take long, you went to the National Treasury to see money being made, leaves you with nothing to see but the ghettos and the Zoo. The nightclub scene is all but nonexistent and the clubs left in Georgetown (a shadow of it's former self) are yuppie single clubs that the American/Georgetown U kids strut around comparing BMW's. The 9:30 Club is a warehouse in Northwest that no one goes to unless it's a band that isn't playing at the Birchmere in Fairfax, the ingress/egress is abysmal (and watch your back and your girls purse when walking from your car.) DC roads are the worst outside NY, and to this day, I still manage to get lost after all these years, thanks Lafayette!
I'd take Shockoe Bottom and Shockoe Slip in Richmond over DC any day.
As for racing, DC is the most non racing city there ever was. Buds Creek is famous for its drag racing. Drag racing fans are an interesting lot.
Food...Miles and miles and miles of Applebees and Ruby Tuesdays in the 'burbs ("brass and ferns" we call them). There's a great Mongolian BBQ in the center of China Town. Most restaurants are hidden away for the bureaucrats to enjoy; you have to 'know' the good ones.
Every time I visit a different city, I always think “wow, this is so much better than DC.”
I just went down to St.Pete last weekend for dinner and a Devil Rays game, thought the same thing then.
DC is funny...the people who live there...don't go there.

extramundane
05-11-05, 02:53 PM
I'd take Shockoe Bottom and Shockoe Slip in Richmond over DC any day.

A year ago maybe, but it's been rough going in the Bottom since Tropical Storm Gaston blasted us last August. Things are almost back to normal, but the 2 cornerstone restaurant/nightspots are still closed with months of repairs yet.

Car-B-Q
05-14-05, 10:32 PM
DC roads are the worst outside NY, and to this day, I still manage to get lost after all these years, thanks Lafayette!You're not the only one to get lost on these freaking roads. And I think it was L'Enfant who ****ed up all the roads in the city.

As for racing, DC is the most non racing city there ever was. Buds Creek is famous for its drag racing. Drag racing fans are an interesting lot.Capitol Raceway is a whole lot closer to DC than going all the way down to Budds Creek (although its closer for NissanGTP).

Food...Miles and miles and miles of Applebees and Ruby Tuesdays in the 'burbs ("brass and ferns" we call them). There's a great Mongolian BBQ in the center of China Town. Most restaurants are hidden away for the bureaucrats to enjoy; you have to 'know' the good ones.You forgot to mention the thousands of street vendors with overpriced food. :D

Only other thing I would add is if you are staying in the city, use Metro as much as possible. Not only do the roads suck, but parking can be a beyatch.

Methanolandbrats
05-14-05, 10:54 PM
I went to a cool beer bar across the street from a dock which loaded large ships. I think it was near Georgetown. I got too wasted to remember the name or any details, but it was very nice :thumbup: DC is a fun place to visit. I also crashed into a tree in the George Washington National Forest when I cooked the brakes in my GTI. It was a good trip. :D

rabbit
05-17-05, 08:33 AM
Rabbit drop me a line on what the internship is about.En route. (Sorry for the delay.)

G.
05-17-05, 11:57 AM
I was never happier to leave a city than when DC was in the rearview. I actually sighed with relief.

And yes, I have been to Detroit. :D

( I really dug the driving tour of Gettysburg. Starts out really slow ["oh, look! Here's the left flank of the Union 2nd Virginia RifleCorps!] and builds and builds and builds. But I'm a geek.)

KLang
05-17-05, 12:53 PM
I was never happier to leave a city than when DC was in the rearview. I actually sighed with relief.

I felt the same way when we left the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area.

I spent a week in DC years ago while attending an IBM class. I could have probably spent a month just going through the various Smithsonian museums.

racer2c
05-17-05, 01:27 PM
I felt the same way when we left the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area.

I spent a week in DC years ago while attending an IBM class. I could have probably spent a month just going through the various Smithsonian museums.

The museums do rock.

coolhand
05-19-05, 04:12 PM
I just got back from spending 5 days in DC. First time that i did not do all the tourist stuff and i really loved it.

the best parts of DC are in the NW area, around connectcut and K streets all the way over to Georgetown. Lots of young people their this time of year. I was surprised about how clean it all was.

Very pleasent city (but the roads do suck, the metro was great as always.)

oddlycalm
05-19-05, 04:47 PM
Wasn't it Mark Twain that said about DC (among many less polite things) that it was a combination of Southern efficiency and Northern charm? ;)

oc

Gnam
05-19-05, 05:46 PM
Only been there a few times. If you are in the Capitol Hill area on a Friday or Saturday night check out Kelly's Irish Times on F St. NW. near Union Station. Drinking and drunkenly singing upstairs, dance club downstairs.

Ruth's Chris Steak House in Arlington, VA is good. Pricey, but if the DOJ is paying who cares?

coolhand
05-19-05, 06:45 PM
Ruth's Chris Steak House in Arlington, VA is good. Pricey, but if the DOJ is paying who cares?

We tried out the "Capital Grill" on Penn ave. Same concept as Ruth Chris, pricy and big portions

rabbit
05-19-05, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone. Well it turns out that the DC OAG deal fell through, but I had another offer from the Children's Rights Council that I have accepted. I leave for D.C. Tuesday morning and return Aug. 6. Anyway, It's going to be an interesting experience, I'm sure.

(Nappy, did you get my email?)

rabbit
05-19-05, 07:47 PM
Thanks for blogging.

:gomer:

Napoleon
05-20-05, 04:56 AM
(Nappy, did you get my email?)

yep, just been busy this week.