PDA

View Full Version : SeaBass on CCWS/IRL

rabbit
05-10-05, 04:08 PM
David Phillips column (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/16790/)

Like virtually everyone involved in the sport, they know the time is long since past to start on the long and tremendously complicated path of re-unifying American open-wheel racing. How that can and will be achieved is as unclear as ever, of course, but the fact that growing numbers of the rank and file, as well as the movers and shakers, in both series recognize the need to end the madness is not only a start, it’s a necessary start.

Why even one who has only been involved in American open-wheel racing for a little more than two years – and who was all of 16 years old in 1995 –can grasp that fundamental fact.

“What a blast it would be to have 45 drivers trying to qualify for Indy,” he said. “I’m one of the guys who thinks it would be better to have one series. So it’s very important now to stop the controversy between Champ Car and the IRL. Now we just have to find a way to make it happen.”

The speaker? Sebastien Bourdais. 2004 Champ Car World Series Champion, 2005 Indianapolis 500 rookie and one of a growing number of people who recognize the time has come to return a modicum of sanity to American open-wheel racing.

devilmaster
05-10-05, 04:25 PM
one of a growing number of people who recognize the time has come to return a modicum of sanity to American open-wheel racing.

Hey david, no one argues that there should be one series. Its the who what when where why and how around it.

Oh yeah, and its all one idiot's fault. Thanks tony, ya jackass.

pchall
05-10-05, 04:47 PM
I'd like to see one series as well. But Tony has to just be a track owner.

Gnam
05-10-05, 05:08 PM
Isn't there a way to "promote" FTG to some meaningless position with an important sounding title where he'd have a big office but no real power or responsibility? We could send him on World Tours to scout out new venues, like Baghdad or Iran.

Spicoli
05-10-05, 05:43 PM
at first it was Tony 100%

now the latest is FTG 60%.

Now CCWS's guy is calling for unity.

FTG's teams are gonna drop like flies.

FTG - not one single solitary PEEP outta 16th & Jonestown about new regs and motors. Why? They have none.

KK gots lotsa motors.

KK's got LBGP and Canada and Mexico.

Time for a 50-50.

Put 2 & 2 together.

but scratch all that ****, this is OW / NA people.

NEVER gonna happen. Or will it?

devilmaster
05-10-05, 05:49 PM
Isn't there a way to "promote" FTG

If by 'promote' you mean kick him in the nuts with a frozen mukluk, i'm all for it. :)

indyfan31
05-10-05, 07:07 PM
28 cars on the track today. Bump Day should be sumpin' else this year.

nrc
05-10-05, 08:13 PM
Bump Day should be sumpin' else this year.

Which one? :rolleyes:

Spicoli
05-10-05, 09:31 PM
Which one? :rolleyes:

:rofl:

IlliniRacer
05-10-05, 09:54 PM
28 cars on the track today. Bump Day should be sumpin' else this year.

Yep. Can't wait for Schecter, Special Ed, et. al. to start bumpin into the walls.

oddlycalm
05-10-05, 10:00 PM
NEVER gonna happen. Or will it? Probably inevitable at some point. Nice for the drivers and folks that are interested in the i497. Personally, I'd like nothing to do with that insect or his supporters.

oc

racer2c
05-10-05, 11:14 PM

FTG - not one single solitary PEEP outta 16th & Jonestown about new regs and motors. Why? They have none.

KK gots lotsa motors.

Time for a 50-50.

Put 2 & 2 together.

You are like the Dali Lama of American open wheel racing. :gomer:

Skater_36
05-11-05, 09:57 AM

KK gots lotsa motors.

Time for a 50-50.

Put 2 & 2 together.

Personally I don't think TG deserves 50%. IMO, giving TG 50% would be like rewarding him for all of the damage he has done. At most he should have around 30% and even that seem's like too much.

Anyone with any common sense realizes that one series is the way to go, the problem is the guy with no common sense, or maybe it's just an inflated ego, is in the way.

IlliniRacer
05-11-05, 10:24 AM

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

mueber
05-11-05, 01:27 PM
Anyone with any common sense realizes that one series is the way to go, the problem is the guy with no common sense, or maybe it's just an inflated ego, is in the way.

Tony George is not the problem. He's just a childish jerk. The Gomerville 500 being the only thing on the schedule the public, and fair number of racing fans, care about is the problem.

Grow a strong series, and Boy George, or whoever runs Gomerville, becomes irrelavent. Rather than wasting time on unification, invest time in the series.

formulaben
05-11-05, 02:14 PM
Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.
Still funny after all these years. :rofl:
Carl Spackler in all his glory. (http://www.carlspackler.com/sounds/017.wav)

sundaydriver2
05-11-05, 04:27 PM
Tony George is not the problem. He's just a childish jerk. The Gomerville 500 being the only thing on the schedule the public, and fair number of racing fans, care about is the problem.

Grow a strong series, and Boy George, or whoever runs Gomerville, becomes irrelavent. Rather than wasting time on unification, invest time in the series.

Ding, ding, ding.

We have a winner.

SFB should be in charge of NOTHING. Well, maybe he could fetch coffee for KK on that stupid Segway he rides around on. :rolleyes:

Racing Truth
05-11-05, 07:47 PM

:laugh:

Or is he? :D

coolhand
05-11-05, 07:52 PM
I reason i would go for unification is that it gives Champ Car its identity back and the unified series will not have the perenial car count problems.

The series then could move on towards improving the product, marketing, and making ther series grow sponsoship, and TV ratingwise. The im attendance fans will still be there.

JohnnyQ
05-11-05, 09:54 PM
Still funny after all these years. :rofl:
Carl Spackler in all his glory. (http://www.carlspackler.com/sounds/017.wav)

So I got that going for me. Which is nice. Caddy shack is the *****

Chief
05-11-05, 10:33 PM
FTG can own as many teams as he wants, his own stupid track too and nothing more.

That ******* hasn't done a thing for this sport since he took control of the speedway. He should do the right thing....desolve the IRL and step away from the sport into a self imposed exile for at least as long as he f****ed the sport up for, around 15 years would do it.

SurfaceUnits
05-12-05, 12:13 AM
Froggie doesn't know what indy nolonger means. :shakehead