PDA

View Full Version : Steve Poltz of the Rugburns, Tuesday Night, Indy locals want to meet me?

Paintergeek
05-09-05, 09:53 PM
Please leave this in 'Community'. If it gets moved to gatherings, noone willsee it in time. It will only be valid for one day anyway.

One of my favorite artists, Steve Poltz, is playing at a new joint called 'Locals Only' in Indy. I saw steve about a year ago after 9 years of waiting, and it was GREAT.

Steve is most known for his band "The Rugburns", and has a slew of solo albums out since their breakup. He also dated Jewel for some time, and wrote her mega hit 'You were meant for me', and was 'the guy' in her video.

By the way, I hated Jewels version, and yet steves ranks as one of my favorite songs of all time.

I could bring posters with me for anyone who may want to meet up. I shoulda posted this sooner. But it is tuesday night, May 10th, He starts at 9:00, Ill be there much sooner drinkin it up.

Address/number/info is linked below. Even if you dont come to say hey to me or get a poster, Do yourself a favor and go to this show anyway. He's great live.

http://www.localsonlyindy.com/showitem.php?item=6

Spicoli
05-09-05, 10:40 PM
Please leave this in 'Community'. If it gets moved to gatherings, noone willsee it in time. It will only be valid for one day anyway.

One of my favorite artists, Steve Poltz, is playing at a new joint called 'Locals Only' in Indy. I saw steve about a year ago after 9 years of waiting, and it was GREAT.

Steve is most known for his band "The Rugburns", and has a slew of solo albums out since their breakup. He also dated Jewel for some time, and wrote her mega hit 'You were meant for me', and was 'the guy' in her video.

By the way, I hated Jewels version, and yet steves ranks as one of my favorite songs of all time.

I could bring posters with me for anyone who may want to meet up. I shoulda posted this sooner. But it is tuesday night, May 10th, He starts at 9:00, Ill be there much sooner drinkin it up.

Address/number/info is linked below. Even if you dont come to say hey to me or get a poster, Do yourself a favor and go to this show anyway. He's great live.

http://www.localsonlyindy.com/showitem.php?item=6

dood:

that place is about 6 blocks from my house.

who are you? this isn't Corby is it?

Paintergeek
05-09-05, 10:44 PM
dood:

that place is about 6 blocks from my house.

who are you? this isn't Corby is it?

No, But I know corby well. I dont think Corb like Poltz.

Wanna go?

JoeBob
05-09-05, 11:23 PM
Damn... Two plugs for Poltz in one week: http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7101

I first saw The Rugburns about 10 years ago. I just saw him on Saturday, he's touring with Stinky, who is playing a cardboard box.... and is incredible. I promise you, you'll get your money's worth just watching Stinky do his thing on the box.

Spicoli
05-09-05, 11:45 PM
No, But I know corby well. I dont think Corb like Poltz.

Wanna go?

I have to go get some lawyers fed and sauced after work. I may be in, I would have to play by ear. What kid of stuff is the rugburns - never heard of them.

JoeBob
05-09-05, 11:54 PM
There's a fairly good chance that Poltz will be as sauced, if not more sauced than your lawyer friends.

Go http://www.poltz.com and click on "Zounds What Sounds" There's a bunch of MP3s there. His music really covers a wide range. If your lawyer friends are okay with Dick's Automotive, they'll probably be okay with one of his new songs, "Handjob on a Church Bus."

If your ADD is acting up, try some stuff off of "Answering Machine." Those are all songs that were his outgoing message on his answering machine. They're all exactly 45 seconds long - don't like it? Don't worry, its pretty much over already.

Paintergeek
05-10-05, 08:14 AM
I have to go get some lawyers fed and sauced after work. I may be in, I would have to play by ear. What kid of stuff is the rugburns - never heard of them.

The rugburns are great, but arent for everyone. I really cant describe them, cause when I try, My description souns like somethin I wouldnt want to see. The Rugburns are almost totally humorous rock, But the kind where even if the lyrics were different, the song would STILL be catchy as hell. Its not Weird Al type. Try to check out Me and Eddie Vedder, Suburbia, pile on the hangover, or Tommy and Marla for a general idea.

Steves Solo work is far more serious, although he tends to interject long stories inbetween that are hilarious. He albums tend to have some slow moments, especially 'Live at Largo'. But as said, Answering Machine is the first album of its kind, recorded by his friends over the phone cause they knew these songs weret worth losing...Like Sugar Boogers.

But seriously, His version of 'You were meant for me" I think is one of the truest, most honest songs I have ever heard. You can just hear how sincere the lyrics are. And yet the exact same song , done by jewel, I find intolerable.

As you can see, I am a huge fan of both him and the band, and have been for years. I have a picture of he and I at the last show, But I look really weird, and he looks really sloshed, so I wont share it.

Paintergeek
05-10-05, 08:19 AM
Damn... Two plugs for Poltz in one week: http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7101

I first saw The Rugburns about 10 years ago. I just saw him on Saturday, he's touring with Stinky, who is playing a cardboard box.... and is incredible. I promise you, you'll get your money's worth just watching Stinky do his thing on the box.

Wow, saw this thread but didnt click on it. Finally, Someone ELSE who knows steve is awesome. Cant wait for tonight!

The rugburns reunited for a new years eve show...But in San Diego. Doesnt do me much good :(

JoeBob
05-10-05, 10:06 AM
The Steve and Stinky show is closer to a Rugburns sort of show than a solo show. But, to say his solo shows are all sweet singer songwriter stuff isn't quite right. The last two times I saw him solo, he performed at least one song wearing nothing but his boxers and socks. I'd say a picture of Steve not sloshed after a show is more of a rarity than one of him not sloshed.

You're right about Sugar Boogers - definately a keeper.

Paintergeek
05-10-05, 07:08 PM
Just a quick bump. Afterliostening to an ol rugburns CD on the way home, I am even more excited. Really good stuff.

Ill be there tonight, maybe 7:30 or 8:00. Ill have my sideburns low and goatee long, wearing a gray work shirt............

Spicoli
05-10-05, 09:30 PM
Just a quick bump. Afterliostening to an ol rugburns CD on the way home, I am even more excited. Really good stuff.

Ill be there tonight, maybe 7:30 or 8:00. Ill have my sideburns low and goatee long, wearing a gray work shirt............

Ziggy called. I think its game on.

he went to get ice cream, lets see if he calls back.

Spicoli
05-10-05, 10:10 PM
Ziggy called. I think its game on.

he went to get ice cream, lets see if he calls back.

[blog]

Ziggy out. Me in.

[//blog]

nrc
05-10-05, 10:19 PM
[blog]

Ziggy out. Me in.

[//blog]

Of course. Ziggy's got ice cream.

Paintergeek
05-11-05, 08:22 AM
Not sure if you made it out or not. I was there. It was a BLAST. the guy is just an amazing storyteller and songwriter. Went 3 1/2 hours, the after-show CD was 3 CD's. Got to shootin the breeze with Stinky when I got my CD's signed, and next thing you know were at another bar knockin out some shots. :) Very tired today.................

[blog]

Ziggy out. Me in.

[//blog]

Spicoli
05-11-05, 10:23 AM
Not sure if you made it out or not. I was there. It was a BLAST. the guy is just an amazing storyteller and songwriter. Went 3 1/2 hours, the after-show CD was 3 CD's. Got to shootin the breeze with Stinky when I got my CD's signed, and next thing you know were at another bar knockin out some shots. :) Very tired today.................

Never made it. Ran into my neighbor and we had to take a safety meeting at his place. :cool:

Glad you had fun.