PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for fixing things FTG, part 481

Spicoli
05-09-05, 11:31 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050509/NEWS01/505090419/1006/NEWS01

Stores, bars pine for 500's glory days
Business owners near the track are hopeful the race will regain prominence and the crowds will pick up.

By Theodore Kim
theodore.kim@indystar.com

Less than a mile west of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a shop that sells model racing cars.

Such a store might once have drawn crowds of eager souvenir shoppers on opening day. The annual event marks the start of practices and pageantry at the track, launching the build-up for the 500-Mile Race on Memorial Day weekend.

But the drone of speeding cars Sunday, this year's opening day, generated little business or enthusiasm. Instead, Randy Blackledge, the 54-year-old manager of Indy Slots West, worked alone stocking boxes in the back of the store and smoking cigarettes.

The past decade or so has brought tough times to the businesses that subsist in the track's shadow. Though the race itself still draws throngs of fans, the mobs that once filled the track during qualifying and practice days -- critical to many businesses here -- have diminished. A few stores and eateries have closed as a result.

Blackledge clings to a hope shared by many shopkeepers here -- for a return to glory of the race that has defined this city for generations, and for the wave of new business that resurgence might bring.

Race officials have made a host of changes this year in a bid to recapture fans and boost TV ratings. Those include starting the race later, moving the popular Carb Day to Friday and allowing cars more chances to qualify.

Yet as another May of racing begins without the crowds, color and cachet of years gone by, Blackledge is among those whose expectations have hardened into a somber acknowledgement.

"Racing here will never be as big as it was," Blackledge said.

Some bars and restaurants have moved away from relying on the 500, turning instead to newer events at the track, such as NASCAR's Brickyard race.

The trouble began, of course, in 1996 when open-wheel racing broke into two confederacies: the Indy Racing League and Championship Auto Racing Teams. That split sent the 500-Mile Race, its television ratings and its status into a sharp decline.

As the sport suffered, so did track attendance -- especially at the pre-race qualifying and other events that helped anchor many businesses.

Dan Laycock and Wayne Leary, both racing buffs and regulars at Blackledge's shop, reminisced Sunday about old times at the track. They remembered, not too long ago, when masses turned out for practice and qualifying days. Opening day at the track always drew large crowds whose vibrancy spilled onto the nearby streets and neighboring shops and bars.

Before, those opening day crowds might be measured in the hundreds of thousands. Now, they are in the thousands.

"There were always cheers back then. You could always hear cheers from outside the track," said Laycock, 55. "Hey, Wayne, you hear any cheers today?"

"Nope," replied Leary, 66, a former race car driver. "I haven't heard anything but noise."

A mile to the east of the track on 16th Street, Nancie Cloe sits on a stool at an empty bar just after midday. She owns The Short Chute, named after the ends of the track's squared-off oval.

Race Day still brings crowds, though the celebratory pre-race atmosphere of the Indy 500 has faded. Cloe and others said that mood of revelry was once symbolized by the so-called "Snake Pit," a wild section of the track infield that, on race day, might be described as Mardi Gras North.

The night before the race, 16th Street would often be awash in party-goers and pedestrians. Along with the Snake Pit, that tradition has been tamed.

"We do try to keep the old traditions, but you're never going to have the Snake Pit again," said Cloe, whose business these days relies on year-round customers from the neighborhood.

Even so, Cloe and others are hopeful they will make it through the downturn. The race's prestige is rising again and the masses show signs of returning.

A block or so away on 16th Street at a long-time bar and restaurant called Mike's, owner Paul Brown stood on a ladder painting his storefront. His chosen paint colors are familiar in these parts -- black and white checkerboard.

"You're not going to go right back up to where you were," said Brown, 40. "It may take five years. It might take 10 years. But that doesn't mean you stop trying."

:gomer:

thganks for the visions, you sack of ****.

RichK
05-09-05, 11:39 AM
I'm in Indiana right now - this is the first May I've been here since the early 90s. I can't believe the difference! Nobody cares anymore....I knew that, of course, but it's different seeing the apathy in person.

At Bloomington Speedway Friday night (which was packed), it was a sea of NASCAR hats....

Spicoli
05-09-05, 11:41 AM
I'm in Indiana right now - this is the first May I've been here since the early 90s. I can't believe the difference! Nobody cares anymore....I knew that, of course, but it's different seeing the apathy in person.

At Bloomington Speedway Friday night (which was packed), it was a sea of NASCAR hats....

you're starting to understand just how ****ed up it is around here anymore.

G.
05-09-05, 11:54 AM
Local store owners should sue FTG. It would just be an annoyance suit, but WTF. Annoy him.

The trouble began, of course, in 1996 when open-wheel racing broke into two confederacies: the Indy Racing League and Championship Auto Racing Teams. That split sent the 500-Mile Race, its television ratings and its status into a sharp decline.

racer2c
05-09-05, 12:06 PM
___king Tony looks down upon his kingdom and proclaims all things great. He silences the gathering crowd with his words "Once you had but one, I have given you three. Go, and make haste in preparations to your inns and taverns, for a great spectacle is upon us. Soon the new successor to the great race will assume its new role."

coolhand
05-09-05, 02:17 PM
Look at all the people there
http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/build_photo.php?photo_id=15778&size=med

KLang
05-09-05, 02:37 PM

Ick. Even at a distance those cars are ugly.

FanofMario
05-09-05, 02:57 PM
http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/build_photo.php?photo_id=15778&size=med

The great journalist model, The Spindy Star, estimated 2,000 people in attendance. What a joke!

With Lord Tony's continued changes in tradition I see even a bigger disconnect by the locals. Thanks for being such a great caretaker of tradition TonY! :rolleyes:

BTW, what in the hell did they do to that new pave job? Looks like the whole top layer was diamond cut.

coolhand
05-09-05, 03:02 PM
they had to diamond cut the whole things because it was too slick :gomer:

slick as snot on a doornob

eiregosod
05-09-05, 03:16 PM
look at the repav9ng job at the track! or is it just the weepers :gomer:

Spicoli
05-09-05, 03:24 PM
look at the repav9ng job at the track! or is it just the weepers :gomer:

Sod is on the juice again! ;)

eiregosod
05-09-05, 03:26 PM
I've had 2nd thoughts.

the repaving has left lines on the tracks. These lines indicate subtly the 'racing line' (ie where not to place your car while being lapped :p: ) to the no talent drivers who litter the margins of the EARL and IPS.

The EARL, a high speed racing series anyone can drive in. The ultimate reality TV sport. "YOU can do this!"

oddlycalm
05-09-05, 04:48 PM
Why futz around. Just say TG made the biggest blunder in the history of the state of Indiana, and that everyone else got hosed as a result. What else is there to say?

Lets be honest. IMS would have had a challenging time keeping national and international focus on the event over the last decade even if nothing had changed. The month long activities are simply an anachronism that nobody can afford. The problem isn't whether to move Carb Day to Friday, the problem is that it's 2005 and these jackasses still have a carb day. The cars haven't had carbs for well over 50yrs, so it might just be time to put that buggy whip to rest...

News flash gomers, these days 500 mile races are routinely accomplished without anything more than a couple Friday practice sessions for preparation. Instead of freshening up an anachronistic event to preserve at least part of the "month of May" tradition, the IMS made a left turn and formed the EARL thereby amplifying their problems by a factor of 10.

That anyone could have arrived at the conclusion that support series equipment and no name drivers was the answer remains one of biggest blunders of modern times, and that's what the article should have said.

oc

TorontoWorker
05-09-05, 05:03 PM
Gee, everyone has just caught up to what people around here have known for 10 years. Is there a rip in the space/time continuum over Indy or is it just me? :rofl:

nrc
05-09-05, 05:06 PM
The race's prestige is rising again and the masses show signs of returning.
If there are any masses returning in Indy they're the kind that require a biopsy.

Ankf00
05-09-05, 05:11 PM
and the masses show signs of returning.

now that's a not a nice thing to call ganassi :gomer:

JT265
05-09-05, 06:42 PM
now that's a not a nice thing to call ganassi :gomer:

Just consider it "tough love" for Fat (____i____)i

Andrew Longman
05-09-05, 06:50 PM
Masses aside...

A month long build-up was something that teams grumbled about more than ten years ago. And yes, other pressures and changes within the racing world, Indy community, and society as a whole would have made it hard to sustain "what Indy was".

But look at another model to the Southeast and you can see how in Daytona they string our speedweeks leading up to the D500, or in Charlotte how The Winston (or whatever they now call it) leads to the World (or whatever they call it) 600. Build up is good and has worked well for NASCAR just as it used to for Indy. TG just wasn't very clever or responsive when the reasons for stringing Indy out were no longer valid or compelling.

What if most month of May was filled with support races intended to highlight those in the ladder series and other racing series. What if the BY400 was on May 15? In 1993, Nascar probably would have been happy about that. The idea is to coopt your competition before you have to compete with them. Cripes, run the F1 race the week after that? Wrap qualifying around those races and drivers will feel both pressure and convenience to stick around a week or two to "truly run the double (or triple)". Compared to Speedweeks in Feb in FL when there is no other racing, the series are relatively obscure (except Cup), and the weather sucks everywhere else, this would be huge. The whole world (not just Indy)would be focused on Indy for the entire month.

Of course, in 1993 this might have been possible. F1 and Cup were not nearly what they are now. And there couldn't have been a split that exiled the top drivers and half the fans.

In know, just internet fantasy.

eiregosod
05-09-05, 06:57 PM
Just as well TG created the BY400 7 the USGP, I would hate to think what would become of IMS if it were solely depending on the Indy 500.

fourrunner
05-09-05, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to figure how the Races prestige is rising and the MASSES show signs of returning ... !

coolhand
05-09-05, 06:58 PM
The Bus shootout opens speedweek a week before daytona. thats a lead up race

Andrew Longman
05-09-05, 07:32 PM
The Bus shootout opens speedweek a week before daytona. thats a lead up race

See http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/files/36073.pdf#xml=http://search.americaneagle.com/daytonainternationalspeedway/index.asp?cmd=pdfhits&DocId=475&Index=F%3a%5cdtSearch%5cdaytonainternationalspeedw ay&HitCount=54&hits=e6+e7+117+1b5+240+26e+26f+97d+980+c14+c3f+c81 +d07+e37+e39+ec1+ec3+f77+14ce+162f+1654+1671+1692+ 17f0+17ff+180e+181e+1828+1836+1846+1855+1866+1876+ 1888+1898+18aa+18bc+18cd+18de+194d+19aa+19ac+19d8+ 19da+1c0e+1c10+1d13+1d7b+1d7c+20ff+2420+24ec+253c+ 258f+&hc=1407&req=2005+schedule

Rolex testing starts 7 Jan and other testing keeps Daytona in the news all through January. Then the Rolex is on the 5-6 Feb and Speedweeks start on the 12th with the shootout. There is a 1 or 2 weeks of racing leading up to the 500 depending on how you count and 4-5 weeks total of events keeping in the news. And all at a time when there is nothing else going on in racing. Much of the country is stuck inside watching TV.

I'd venture to guess that from 1915 to 1970+most of what went on in May in Indy was also before the real racing began at local tracks around the country.

Spicoli
05-09-05, 07:37 PM
Masses aside...

A month long build-up was something that teams grumbled about more than ten years ago. And yes, other pressures and changes within the racing world, Indy community, and society as a whole would have made it hard to sustain "what Indy was".

But look at another model to the Southeast and you can see how in Daytona they string our speedweeks leading up to the D500, or in Charlotte how The Winston (or whatever they now call it) leads to the World (or whatever they call it) 600. Build up is good and has worked well for NASCAR just as it used to for Indy. TG just wasn't very clever or responsive when the reasons for stringing Indy out were no longer valid or compelling.

What if most month of May was filled with support races intended to highlight those in the ladder series and other racing series. What if the BY400 was on May 15? In 1993, Nascar probably would have been happy about that. The idea is to coopt your competition before you have to compete with them. Cripes, run the F1 race the week after that? Wrap qualifying around those races and drivers will feel both pressure and convenience to stick around a week or two to "truly run the double (or triple)". Compared to Speedweeks in Feb in FL when there is no other racing, the series are relatively obscure (except Cup), and the weather sucks everywhere else, this would be huge. The whole world (not just Indy)would be focused on Indy for the entire month.

Of course, in 1993 this might have been possible. F1 and Cup were not nearly what they are now. And there couldn't have been a split that exiled the top drivers and half the fans.

In know, just internet fantasy.

Yup. FTG and IMS could have OWNED the month of May around the world. FTG coulda had an American F1 team, a Neck team, a ChampCar team, even a coupla draggers, and been the richest SOB in racing.

but then the guy is a ****ing idiot.

SurfaceUnits
05-09-05, 09:23 PM
Hey, there's nothing wrong with indy. Hell, a gomer says he saw some empty seats during the telecast of the Spanish G.P. No problem at indy, but I bet Bernie isn't getting much sleep these days. :shakehead

dando
05-09-05, 10:08 PM
Based on RM's piece late last month, which detailed where large blocks of available seats exists, the author of this tripe obviously has no clue. Or perhaps has had a Kool Aid enema.... :gomer:

-Kevin

Spicoli
05-09-05, 10:43 PM
http://home.cfl.rr.com/ocalacomputers/ymca.swf

:D

racer2c
05-09-05, 10:56 PM

:thumbup: :) Funny.

dando
05-09-05, 11:11 PM
http://www.ds62.com/racinps/infodirector.jpg

:gomer:

-Kevin

Jervis Tetch 1
05-09-05, 11:18 PM
Eleven years ago the place would have been packed. Now it's a mere shell of itself.

FTG forever.

What a dick. :shakehead

Opposite Lock
05-09-05, 11:20 PM

It's been a while - I still love that one!

(Mods: can we keep it this time? Please?) :D

Winston Wolfe
05-09-05, 11:24 PM
Why futz around. Just say TG made the biggest blunder in the history of the state of Indiana, and that everyone else got hosed as a result. What else is there to say?

Lets be honest. IMS would have had a challenging time keeping national and international focus on the event over the last decade even if nothing had changed. The month long activities are simply an anachronism that nobody can afford. The problem isn't whether to move Carb Day to Friday, the problem is that it's 2005 and these jackasses still have a carb day. The cars haven't had carbs for well over 50yrs, so it might just be time to put that buggy whip to rest...

News flash gomers, these days 500 mile races are routinely accomplished without anything more than a couple Friday practice sessions for preparation. Instead of freshening up an anachronistic event to preserve at least part of the "month of May" tradition, the IMS made a left turn and formed the EARL thereby amplifying their problems by a factor of 10.

That anyone could have arrived at the conclusion that support series equipment and no name drivers was the answer remains one of biggest blunders of modern times, and that's what the article should have said.

oc

oc - Ding, Ding, Ding - we have a winnah !

nice summary of the current events as it relates to the Earl, the .1rl, FTG and the Gomerville Fi' hunnert....

Go to the head of the class. You get an "A" for the day !!! :thumbup:

dando
05-09-05, 11:32 PM

Ah, so THAT'S the (in)famous YMCA bit.....

:cool: :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

nrc
05-10-05, 12:44 AM

Okay.