PDA

View Full Version : Victory In Europe.

devilmaster
05-08-05, 09:16 PM
http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/MOLsite/londonsvoices/veday/images/mirror_08051945.jpg

http://www.yesnet.yk.ca/schools/wes/webquests_themes/remembrance_images/images/poppy%203_gif.jpg

dando
05-08-05, 09:29 PM
Aye! The greatest generation indeed. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Lizzerd
05-09-05, 12:49 AM
Aye! The greatest generation indeed. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Ditto.

Most people under 70 years old (and yes, I am one) have no idea what the '40's were like in the US, and likely Canada too. Gas and food rationing, War Bonds, Rosie the Riveter, no copper or certain other metals to be found, shortages and recycling of rubber, no Indy 500 for three years... All the while, the recruiting offices were packed. Probably thousands of kids lied about their age to try and enlist. When the soldiers came home, they didn't wear their service on their sleeve, either. I had an uncle earn a Bronze Star in the Phillipines, but I never knew what for. He never talked about it. I never new that another uncle was a WWII vet until he died and there was a VFW bugler there to play Taps at his funeral.

Greatest Generation, indeed! :thumbup: :thumbup:

coolhand
05-09-05, 01:10 AM
God Bless America :thumbup:

chop456
05-09-05, 01:12 AM
:thumbup:

Ankf00
05-09-05, 03:31 AM
the final generation that packed a pair :thumbup:

dando
05-09-05, 09:58 PM
Ditto.

Most people under 70 years old (and yes, I am one) have no idea what the '40's were like in the US, and likely Canada too. Gas and food rationing, War Bonds, Rosie the Riveter, no copper or certain other metals to be found, shortages and recycling of rubber, no Indy 500 for three years... All the while, the recruiting offices were packed. Probably thousands of kids lied about their age to try and enlist. When the soldiers came home, they didn't wear their service on their sleeve, either. I had an uncle earn a Bronze Star in the Phillipines, but I never knew what for. He never talked about it. I never new that another uncle was a WWII vet until he died and there was a VFW bugler there to play Taps at his funeral.

Greatest Generation, indeed! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yup. My grandfather is the same way. He NEVER talks about the war or his experiences there (altho I know he was involved in The Bulge), and no one from the family ever asks. That's just the way it is. They accepted it as their duty, and came back to build this country and much of its greatest afterwards. (I won't go into a rant on how we've gone astray since) I am forever thankful for those that served in any capacity through WWII, including those stateside that accepted the shortages and overcame them through hard work and determination. :thumbup:

-Kevin

RTKar
05-09-05, 10:05 PM
Seven Great Uncles in the service during the war, six of them overseas in the conflict and one on his way to Hawaii in '45 for the invasion that never happened, the invasion of Japan. It's a generation that deserves to never be forgotten.

Night Train
05-09-05, 11:01 PM
--

Jervis Tetch 1
05-09-05, 11:36 PM
Greatest generation ever :thumbup:

Warlock!
05-10-05, 07:23 AM
Indeed.

Cam
05-10-05, 07:33 AM
I agree.... However the generation that bred them also deserves a lot of credit!

Night Train
05-10-05, 10:20 AM

No doubt. So much was asked. Even more was delivered.

G.
05-10-05, 01:25 PM
One gramp was a sailor, saw kama kazi's and some battles. Lots of stories, but he was on a support ship. He would talk about it.

Other gramp was a combat engineer, the guys that go in to give the Marines a place to land. One time he told me about (I forget the island name) watching 20,000 women (Japanese) throwing their kids off of the cliff, then jumping after them. They feared the Americans that much. (they were piled so high that many survived. They had a soft place to land.)

His reaction when telling the story (after I buggedandbugged him to tell me some war stories) said all that I needed to know. Don't ask anymore.

Ollie, Ed, RIP soldiers. :(

Let's not forget the great fighters that began the war under the football field in Chicago, then moved out to Los Alamos. They did a pretty bangup job too.

(I know, VE day, not VJ day, but dammit, it's the greatest generation!)