PDA

View Full Version : My Music Rant - With Teeth

Paintergeek
05-08-05, 10:52 AM
Since there have been a few music thread lately that I have chosen to belittle, I figured I would post my own.

Im groovin on the new Nine Inch Nails CD 'With Teeth'. I have long awaited this album, since the 2CD 'the fragile' was a bit of a let down. It has a few good track, but not worthy of 2 CD's at all. This new one didnt catch me as excellent right away, but after a couple days, I am finding it has a long steady flow to it, the way most Trent Reznor albums do. It can melt from the last song back to the first and often time, it was so seamless, you dont even realise it. But I am diggin on it, and would give it a 3.5 out of 5 right now.

The thing is, I have been SO let down by new albums in the last couple of years, Its nice to look forward to one that delivered. Just Some 'new album' let downs by bands I like of late are :

Green Day - American Idiot
Black Label Society - Mafia
Mudvayne - Lost and Found
Beastie Boys - To the 5 boroughs
the Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives
The Cure - The Cure
Cake - Pressure Chief
The Mr T Experience - Yesterday Rules
Ozzy - Prince of Darkness Box
Rammstein - Reise Reise
The Rev. Horton Heat - Revival!
The Vines - Winning Days.

ALL were highly anticipated, and save for maybe a song per album, All let me down.

Im as big a green day fan as youll find. I have loved every album start to finish, even though many think they are lame. But this album, which is getting HUGE air play and acclaim, I think is awful. American Idiot is the only tolerable song on it, and its just that...Tolerable.. It is killing me that "Boulevard" and "Holiday" are getting so much air time. The album is pathetic for them, and of course, the public embraces it! DOH! :shakehead

The few albums of late that DID impress were Guttermouth "Eat Your Face" (after a couple of turd albums), Me First and the Gimme Gimmes "Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah" (A live album), and Becks "Guero".

Albums on the horizon I anticipate is the new System of a Down and White Stripes, and Weezer. I hope they dont all let me down too. The last System album was a pathetic and embarrassing follow up to Toxicity.

Ok. There is my music rant............Tear me apart now, Im sure none of this would compare to the new Blur ;)

Spicoli
05-08-05, 11:32 AM
you're right - they all suck. Except for The Cure.

Night Train
05-08-05, 02:50 PM
I'm waiting for the new Dropkick Murphys CD in June.

Paintergeek
05-08-05, 03:08 PM
I'm waiting for the new Dropkick Murphys CD in June.

I have "The Gangs All Here", but didnt think it was too hot. Havent heard anything else from them.

Flogging Molly has a new one out....Wonder if thats worth hearin'.

Ankf00
05-08-05, 03:30 PM
the new weezer's alright, better than maladroit, about on par with green, the single is a crock of **** though... and as for the hives and vines, well that's what you get for listening to them :gomer: :D

WickerBill
05-08-05, 04:28 PM
Completely disagree with your assessment of American Idiot... AI is one of the weaker tracks IMO, and Broken Dreams is ... well... one of those "good song ruined by heavy rotation" deals. "Jesus of Suburbia" is epic, and I really enjoy "Whatshername" and "...September Ends".

No, it's not "Dookie" -- not supposed to be. The boys are 10 years older and have made a contiguous album for the first time ever. It's somewhat political, leans solidly left, and the fact I still enjoy it should say "something" to you. ;)

"Within a Mile of Home" by Flogging Molly is good stuff, but not anything earth-shattering. I bought it about a week ago.

WB

Ankf00
05-08-05, 04:29 PM
Emeritus has AI pegged. :thumbup:

Paintergeek
05-08-05, 05:26 PM
Completely disagree with your assessment of American Idiot... AI is one of the weaker tracks IMO, and Broken Dreams is ... well... one of those "good song ruined by heavy rotation" deals. "Jesus of Suburbia" is epic, and I really enjoy "Whatshername" and "...September Ends".

No, it's not "Dookie" -- not supposed to be. The boys are 10 years older and have made a contiguous album for the first time ever. It's somewhat political, leans solidly left, and the fact I still enjoy it should say "something" to you. ;)

"Within a Mile of Home" by Flogging Molly is good stuff, but not anything earth-shattering. I bought it about a week ago.

WB

I guess that the whole deal with opinions. :) I think AI is the worst album, and only poor album, they have ever put out. "jesus" is stupidly long, would have been better if it were 4 individual songs about 2:30 long. Same with 'Homecoming'. I was stunned that I didnt like it right out of the gate, and listened to it for about 10 days solid and it just never caught on. I then put it up, Waited about a month, and tried again. Not happnin'......

I think 'Warning!' was a top-notch album, start to finish, and yet it was panned by critics and got almost zero airplay.

coolhand
05-08-05, 05:43 PM
All this "pop" music has been a letdown.

thats why i have turned to Country Music. it is all consistently good quality. they actually make good albums full of good songs rather then two or three good ones for radio and then a bunch of crap to fill the album out.

SteveH
05-08-05, 06:38 PM
you're right - they all suck. Except for The Cure.

Cure = Nancy Boy music :laugh:

DaveL
05-08-05, 07:03 PM
A couple of weeks ago I went into my favorite sub sandwich joint to get me a turkey breast club. The kid behind the counter was about 16-17 years old. Peter Frampton was playing on the radio. I asked him he liked 30 year old music. He said he liked Peter Frampton, but The Who was his favorite band and Quadrophenia was his favorite album (it's also mine). Led Zepplin and The Doors were a close second and third for his favorite groups.

As for today's stuff, he said it's crap compared the above bands.

I can assure all of you that he is not the first teen to express this and embrace the classics.

However, if you're looking for something new and good, check out People Behave Like Ballads by Rebecca Martin.

Who is Rebecca Martin you ask? Get the CD and you'll find out :)

Spicoli
05-08-05, 07:40 PM
Cure = Nancy Boy music :laugh:

Yep, tons of smart folks at the last Def Lepperd show. :gomer:

do you even OWN a CD player, old man? ;)

Sean O'Gorman
05-08-05, 08:22 PM

thats why i have turned to Country Music. it is all consistently good quality. they actually make good albums full of good songs rather then two or three good ones for radio and then a bunch of crap to fill the album out.

You are joking, right?

Country music was great when it was guys like Johnny Cash. Nowadays all this Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, etc stuff is nothing but pop music.

coolhand
05-08-05, 08:32 PM
You are joking, right?

Country music was great when it was guys like Johnny Cash. Nowadays all this Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, etc stuff is nothing but pop music.

Tim mcgraw ad the handful of others is pop like nowadays. but Tim consistently puts out good music.

Tk is not really pop, he still has some good classic stuff and rock influenced things.

I am a fan of his stuff in the 90s as i am now.

I kinda like the new outlaw movment with Big & Rich and Montgomery Gentry.

George Strait is still great

Paintergeek
05-08-05, 10:06 PM

Bwaaaaaaaaha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! Holy crap!!! Are you serious, or just tryin to get us all riled up? Country the last 10 years has turned into pop rock top 40 music. Shania twain is as much country as Britney Spears. Thats too funny.

Admittedly, Rock music is in a slump right now, and all this cookie-cutter crap like nickelback is driving the genre down the toilet quick. But to say that country is the answer is pretty rough. And yes, I do like some country, just not anything done in the last 15 or more years. Actually, make that 25.

racer2c
05-08-05, 10:26 PM
the new Aimee Mann came out this week. It's all I listen to. I just listen and listen and listen and then I listen some more. She's fantabulous.

Debating flavor of the month music was never my thing.

DaveL
05-08-05, 10:31 PM
the new Aimee Mann came out this week. It's all I listen to. I just listen and listen and listen and then I listen some more. She's fantabulous.

I love Aimee Mann. Bachelor #2 was brilliant. Take a bunch of the pop princesses and Aimee Mann's little toe still has 100 times more talent.

Dirty Sanchez
05-08-05, 11:09 PM
rock is not in a slump... but your listening habits are.

I wish I had 4 hands so I could give this thread 4 thumbs down :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

Opposite Lock
05-08-05, 11:15 PM
So how was that Mastadon show, Debi Downer? :gomer:

SteveH
05-09-05, 12:13 AM
I love Aimee Mann. Bachelor #2 was brilliant. Take a bunch of the pop princesses and Aimee Mann's little toe still has 100 times more talent.

Aimee Mann's husband's brother was married to what pop star? :D

Michaelhatesfans
05-09-05, 12:19 AM
I had Kerplunk on the other day. Totally underrated. Hell, "Dominated Love Slave" alone is worth the price of the album. :cool:

chop456
05-09-05, 01:19 AM
Aimee Mann's husband's brother was married to what pop star? :D

The chick with one name and no talent that's not Cher, Anastasia or Shakira? :D

Ankf00
05-09-05, 03:12 AM
Tim mcgraw ad the handful of others is pop like nowadays. but Tim consistently puts out good music.

Tk is not really pop, he still has some good classic stuff and rock influenced things.

I am a fan of his stuff in the 90s as i am now.

I kinda like the new outlaw movment with Big & Rich and Montgomery Gentry.

George Strait is still great

you've got no ****ing idea what country music is

I made better music freshman year of colllege with my ol' 6 string takamine than nashville can pump out :rofl: :laugh:

do yourself a favor and go buy Ryan Adams or Great Divide and then come back here telling ppl what "country music" is supposed to be :rofl:

Ankf00
05-09-05, 03:15 AM

thats why i have turned to Country Music.

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

Ankf00
05-09-05, 03:19 AM
I guess that the whole deal with opinions. :) I think AI is the worst album, and only poor album, they have ever put out. "jesus" is stupidly long, would have been better if it were 4 individual songs about 2:30 long. Same with 'Homecoming'. I was stunned that I didnt like it right out of the gate, and listened to it for about 10 days solid and it just never caught on. I then put it up, Waited about a month, and tried again. Not happnin'......

I think 'Warning!' was a top-notch album, start to finish, and yet it was panned by critics and got almost zero airplay.

that's the beauty of suburbia, it's not for the ADD generation, it's an actual anthem with substance... 2:30 jams may be your thing, but to me its refreshing seeing pieces that arent tailored for those with 2 syllable vocabularies and 3 word sentences...

you know... like country legends toby kieth and reba and other geniuses from okiehoma :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

coolhand
05-09-05, 03:25 AM
you've got no ****ing idea what country music is

I made better music freshman year of colllege with my ol' 6 string takamine than nashville can pump out :rofl: :laugh:

do yourself a favor and go buy Ryan Adams or Great Divide and then come back here telling ppl what "country music" is supposed to be :rofl:

hey i listen to all the old stuff (Cash, haggert, jennings, nelson, Williams etc.) , but times have changed buddy. Whether you like it or not the stuff put out today is called "Country Music". if you call it by some other name thats would be new to me.

There is good music that comes out of whatever Genre you call it. :shakehead

coolhand
05-09-05, 03:26 AM
:rofl: :laugh:
comming form a nancy boy who wears a lavender shirt :gomer:

Ankf00
05-09-05, 03:27 AM
hey i listen to all the old stuff (Cash, haggert, jennings, nelson, Williams etc.) , but times have changed buddy. Whether you like it or not the stuff put out today is called "Country Music". if you call it by some other name thats would be new to me.

There is good music that comes out of whatever Genre you call it. :shakehead

i can call the turds that plop out of my ass monet's but that doesnt make them french masterpieces, and dont you ever compare merle and waylon and george jones to the **** you're trying to call respectable "country music"

it's called pop ****, not country, get it straight.

and yes, there is some fantastic country music coming out, but no, it doesnt come from nasvhille.

it doesnt come with a 5 piece band staring at the backside of me

coolhand
05-09-05, 03:52 AM
i can call the turds that plop out of my ass monet's but that doesnt make them french masterpieces, and dont you ever compare merle and waylon and george jones to the **** you're trying to call respectable "country music"

it's called pop ****, not country, get it straight.

and yes, there is some fantastic country music coming out, but no, it doesnt come from nasvhille.

it doesnt come with a 5 piece band staring at the backside of me

sure ank,
thats fine, but sorry for following the mainstream definition

you are from Texas i assume.

you must be a old school Pat Green, cory morrw etc type fan......right?

(I saw Pat in concert when he rolled into town, about 300 people there

Paintergeek
05-09-05, 08:17 AM
that's the beauty of suburbia, it's not for the ADD generation, it's an actual anthem with substance... 2:30 jams may be your thing, but to me its refreshing seeing pieces that arent tailored for those with 2 syllable vocabularies and 3 word sentences...

....But the problem is, It isnt a 10 minute anthem....it IS 2:30 jams, put end to end. The songs are individual, unfinished songs That dont melt into eachother to form a long anthem. To me (again, just my opinion), But to me it sounds like 4 or 5 songs that they had lying around unfinished, they were stuck end to end, and called one song.

I dunno, Typical me, Not liking exactly what everyone else like. This new album is like every mustang built from 65 to 04...........I just dont get it, yet everyone has one.

originally posted by crapus: rock is not in a slump... but your listening habits are.

I wish I had 4 hands so I could give this thread 4 thumbs down

So you must be in the nickelback/breaking benjamin era of turd rock, eh? I listen to alot of different stuff. Some is mainstream hit-rock, sure. But bands like staind and nickel back that are supposed to be this heavy, dark, crunchy rock is just embarrassing to my music. Same with anything Bizkit/saliva/kidrock/papa roach genre.

Oh well, Its music. Well all agree to always disagree. I just wanted to rant.

nrc
05-09-05, 08:28 AM

Or just another kid brimming with the omniscience of youth.

Ankf00
05-09-05, 08:36 AM
sure ank,
thats fine, but sorry for following the mainstream definition

you are from Texas i assume.

(I saw Pat in concert when he rolled into town, about 300 people there

Pat's for fratboys and Cory's a cokehead now... :shakehead:

Or just another kid brimming with the omniscience of youth.
not as much that as the Full Moon Pale Rye last night :D :gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
05-09-05, 09:43 AM
So you must be in the nickelback/breaking benjamin era of turd rock, eh? I listen to alot of different stuff. Some is mainstream hit-rock, sure. But bands like staind and nickel back that are supposed to be this heavy, dark, crunchy rock is just embarrassing to my music. Same with anything Bizkit/saliva/kidrock/papa roach genre. nickelback?! good god, man... you have me pegged for this shite? :saywhat:

do you listen to anything that isn't verse-chorus-verse-chorus-blah-blah-image-chorus-verse-lame?

Spicoli
05-09-05, 09:57 AM
nickelback?! good god, man... you have me pegged for this shite? :saywhat:

do you listen to anything that isn't verse-chorus-verse-chorus-blah-blah-image-chorus-verse-lame?

NKOTB :gomer:

Rob
05-09-05, 12:10 PM
Rock radio blows. It's gotten so bad that my local "new rock" station plays Bob Marley, The Shins' "New Slang" (so wimpy it makes Simon & Garfunkel sound like Slayer), and some ultra-annoying song where they repeat the line "Right about now, funk soul brother" about 50,000 times. Pass me my CDs, please.

Spicoli
05-09-05, 12:42 PM
"Right about now, funk soul brother" about 50,000 times. Pass me my CDs, please.

FatBoy Slim. The Rockafeller Skank

Intro
Dj: wbcn who’s this?
Brad: hey this is brad (this is brad this is)
Dj: now uh who’s your favorite artist, who
Do you want to hear?
Brad: well m my favorite artist right now is
Fatboy slim, that guy kicks ass.
Dj: how tremendous is fatboy slim?
Brad: the band of the 90’s, if you want to call
It a band because it’s a one man name.
Dj: wow...fatboy, and you want to hear that
New fatboy song?
Brad: absolutely.
Dj: which one?
Brad: the um funk soul brother check it out.
Dj: sing it, I don’t know which one.
Brad: right about now, the funk soul brother
Check it out now, the funk soul brother.

Right about now
The funk soul brother, check it out now
The funk soul brother, right about now
’bout now
’bout now
’bout now

Right about now
The funk soul brother

Right about now
The funk soul brother

Right about now

Right about now
’bout now
’bout now
’bout now
’bout now
’bout now
’bout now
’bout now

Right about now
The funk soul brother, right...about...now
Funk soul brother, right about now
The funk soul brother

Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now
’bout now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About now
About
Right about now

Right about now
The funk soul brother

yeah, not one of his better compositions. :D

extramundane
05-09-05, 01:00 PM

What does Ryan Adams have to do with country music? Unless by "country music" you meant "overhyped, under-talented pretty boys who occasionally write a decent song but whose egos write checks their chops can't cash."

Sean O'Gorman
05-09-05, 01:18 PM
Bryan Adams?

chop456
05-09-05, 01:35 PM
What does Ryan Adams have to do with country music?

Bryan Adams?

Still Cracks Me Up (http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2002/10/1709.cfm) :laugh:

Spicoli
05-09-05, 02:32 PM
The Buzzcocks.

Ankf00
05-09-05, 03:51 PM
Ryan != Bryan :gomer:

Night Train
05-09-05, 04:07 PM
I have "The Gangs All Here", but didnt think it was too hot. Havent heard anything else from them.

I think their (the Murphys) CDs after "The Gang's All Here" have each been better than the last. I really like the "Live on St. Patrick's Day", but the most recent CD, "Blackout" is, IMHO, the best one so far.

I bought the Flogging Molly CD before this one and it was ok.

Sean O'Gorman
05-09-05, 04:56 PM
Still Cracks Me Up (http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2002/10/1709.cfm) :laugh:

I was waiting for that, thanks Chop. :D

Ankf00
05-09-05, 04:59 PM
:rofl:

Coner Oberst had a drunk rant in Fort Worth during a performance this winter... apparently all Texans do is hunt indians and praise W... not quite the thing you want to tell a stadium full of Texan type people :D

skaven
05-09-05, 07:21 PM
:rofl:

Hey Chief :D

Agree with the majority that "new" country is pop-rock mass consumption crap (whereas Johnny Cash, et al were the real deal), but wanted to ask you, chief, if you are familiar with the "Meat Purveyors?" I understand they are from Austin. The two songs I've heard are great bluegrassy dirges with female vocals about drinking tall boys.

Lemme know... thanks Chief ! ! !

Ankf00
05-09-05, 07:29 PM
I never got off my fat lazy butt to see them but a few of my buddies like their live show

skaven
05-09-05, 07:34 PM
Thanks chief. :)

RTKar
05-09-05, 08:18 PM

Flogging Molly...picked up where the Pogues left off. They're always worth hearing.

http://www.shitenonions.com/

Another slick Alt Countryish band to check out is, "Donna the Buffalo"

http://www.donnathebuffalo.com/

WickerBill
05-11-05, 12:10 PM
Hey PG, if you *really* want to hear random songs pieced together as you claim "suburbia" is, listen to "Fingertips 1-15" by They Might Be Giants. :)

Please pass the milk please.

What's that blue thing doing here?