PDA

View Full Version : Toyota to Busch in '06.

racer2c
05-03-05, 10:07 PM
Oh, I just can't wait for the IRL pull out announcement from Toyota after Indy!

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/16640/)

dando
05-03-05, 10:29 PM
:cool:

The silence after the 'revelations' about Toyo and Fonda @ LBGP is still deafening. :thumbup:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
05-04-05, 12:10 AM
The amusing thing to me is that it's a two edged sword that is going to blow a big hole in the EARL and screw with NASCAR at the same time. What is a bit surprising to me is that we aren't seeing formal announcements about Honda yet. We will.

When you combine the natural xenophobia of the NASCAR crowd and combine that with a couple aggressive Japanese companies sucking up teams, favorite drivers and stirring the pot with regard to future equipment regulations, it's like a moonshiner's still just waiting to blow sky high. You know it's gonna happen eventually, it's just a matter of when and where. :D

oc

rabbit
05-04-05, 09:19 AM
Oh, I just can't wait for the IRL pull out announcement from Toyota after Indy!

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/16640/)
I wonder if that will be before or after the Porsche to .1RL announcement. :confused: :gomer:

DagoFast
05-04-05, 11:46 AM
Some people have been whispering it's not gonna be a CCW OR a .1rl event, but maybe a Busch race. Does today's announcment by Toyo make anyone think "Huumm"?

Andrew Longman
05-04-05, 12:24 PM
I don't know that I would make too much about a Red Neck backlash against Toyota. Toyota makes a lot of Tundras and Camreys. Somebody must buy them and I've seen more than a few in NASCAR Country. That said, my brother in law will never be one of them. He won't even buy IKEA furniture because its from Sweden.

But so what if they do hate them. Its no worse than the Chevy fans rooting against the Ford guys. And Toyota has been clever to align themselves with benign fan favorite guys like the Waltrips. They're bound to create fans among those not so xenophobic. And they've moved slowly to allow fans and NASCAR officials both to get used to the idea.

The bigger issue, as the article hinted, will be in the garage. Chrysler isn't really even in NASCAR. Funding, IIRC, comes from their dealer network. I think they get minimal engineering help from corporate. I think at Ford and Chevy too the emphasis on NASCAR is more a marketing exercise than engineering project.

When Toyota shows up, that will change. As fast as the France rule makers try to limit the engineering component, Toyota will likely raise the bar. It will get very expensive for DC/F/C very quickly

cameraman
05-04-05, 12:29 PM
That said, my brother in law will never be one of them. He won't even buy IKEA furniture because its from Sweden.

I bet he shops at Walmart all the time...

extramundane
05-04-05, 12:58 PM
I don't know that I would make too much about a Red Neck backlash against Toyota. Toyota makes a lot of Tundras and Camreys. Somebody must buy them and I've seen more than a few in NASCAR Country. That said, my brother in law will never be one of them. He won't even buy IKEA furniture because its from Sweden.

I used to take my NASCAR-fan father to the crashfests at Martinsville, because he liked it. A couple years ago, a Japanese driver whose name escapes me ran a few races. He was resoundly booed at driver intros, and the rednecks around me were shouting things like "goddamn Jap!", "Remember Hiroshima? That ain't nothing compared to what you're gonna get today!"

I'm sure those same folks aren't terribly enthused by a Japanese manufacturer competing.

Brickman
05-04-05, 01:18 PM
I used to take my NASCAR-fan father to the crashfests at Martinsville, because he liked it. A couple years ago, a Japanese driver whose name escapes me ran a few races. He was resoundly booed at driver intros, and the rednecks around me were shouting things like "goddamn Jap!", "Remember Hiroshima? That ain't nothing compared to what you're gonna get today!"

I'm sure those same folks aren't terribly enthused by a Japanese manufacturer competing.

Like we even care what those morons would think.

We all know that NASCAR is going to have to keep Toyota on a tight leash, it's the next generation engine that they could come out of the box and dominate quickly.

I'm not so sure it's even a "redneck" backlash, I have seen anti Toyota sentiment at California tracks. Besides... they only need to buy Dale Jr. and they would effectively muzzle the ignorant.

devilmaster
05-04-05, 01:19 PM

Thats why the lead spokesman for toyota will always be Darrell Waltrip. I haven't heard much blowback from the tundra commercials featuring him....

That anti-toyota bias hasn't really materialized, and if it hasn't by now, its probably not going to.

Yoda ain't no dummies. They'll ensure that their vehicles are marketed properly enough to avoid the foreign backlash.

Andrew Longman
05-04-05, 04:15 PM

I hear you. My brother in law is a NASCAR fan. But there are fewer and fewer people, especially under the age of 40, that remember Hiroshima or Pearl Harbor (not that that's a good thing).

But I also think there is a difference between a Japanese driver and a Japanese make. Put DW in a Toyota and few people will be calling him a traitor. And if he wins they'll just try to forget the make of his truck.

The driver, BTW, was Fukuyama (an unfortunate name that brings up unmentionable references to your mama), and I have no idea what he thought he was doing in NASCAR.

Sean O'Gorman
05-04-05, 04:36 PM

Which will make it all the more funny when Toyota becomes successful in NASCAR. :laugh:

theunions
05-04-05, 05:22 PM
But there are fewer and fewer people, especially under the age of 40, that remember Hiroshima or Pearl Harbor (not that that's a good thing).

Jimmy Spencer does. And as everyone knows, Jimmy Spencer never forgets. :gomer:

I may or may not have mentioned this here before...but in the winter of '04, I received a phone call asking me to participate in a "media poll" dealing with the similarities and differences between open wheel and stock car racing in America. Eventually the questions became more specific and more geared towards NASCAR (and sponsor/manufacturer ROI therein). It soon became evident that the questions were coming from Toyota, trying to figure out how best to deal with the NASCAR fan base using their new Craftsman Truck program.

I made it abundantly clear that Spencer wasn't the only one by far in NASCAR-land thinking the way he does about the Japanese, and it would be an incredibly stupid decision on their part to put an underqualified Japanese driver as a Toyota-funded seat-warmer into one of their trucks, as they'd routinely done previously in both CART and IRL. With the hiring of Shiggy this year, they proved that they didn't really value my opinion...

...which they already did by not listening to me when I told them their money would be infinitely better spent in open wheel in general, and returning to Champ Car specifically.

coolhand
05-04-05, 07:32 PM
there is a difference in putting a crap japanses driver in ther series in a toyota versus putting a good driver in a toyota.

The fans will tlel the difference. I dont think people will get as upset with toyota cars out there versus a bunch of toyota cars out their filled with a bunch of shiggy's. If toyota comming means that their favorit drivers get forced out then you will see a backlash.

Were you all happy with crap japanese drivers in CART? i was not, and NASCAR fans sure wont. :thumdown:

oddlycalm
05-04-05, 07:51 PM
I don't know that I would make too much about a Red Neck backlash against Toyota.
- snip -
The bigger issue, as the article hinted, will be in the garage. Chrysler isn't really even in NASCAR. Funding, IIRC, comes from their dealer network. I think they get minimal engineering help from corporate. I think at Ford and Chevy too the emphasis on NASCAR is more a marketing exercise than engineering project. It's not this issue or that issue, it's all of the issues combined. There is no doubt in my mind that Toyota and Honda will fundamentally destabilize NASCAR.

Ask yourself what would happen if GM and Ford got tired of taking a public drubbing week after week and pull out, something we've seen both do more than once. :laugh: While it's obviously premature to speculate on specifics, we have all seen the effects of these companies showing up and spending megabucks against competitors that aren't.

oc

coolhand
05-04-05, 07:57 PM
The Japanese scoarched earth policy, they have raped two series already now they are going after a big dog. It will be interesting. i think that NASCAR is is wise and strong enough though to handle it. they dont need toyota and honda for starts and that gives them power.

Spicoli
05-04-05, 10:09 PM
i told all you hard of hearing dumbschits this months ago.

:rolleyes:

duh. i already started a thread on this.

nrc
05-04-05, 11:40 PM
i told all you hard of hearing dumbschits this months ago.

:rolleyes:

duh. i already started a thread on this.

Welcome to last year.

eiregosod
05-05-05, 01:25 AM
wasnt there a hoax radio clip where these guys ring up some redneck about Black drivers in nascar, the response they got was much more animated :laugh:

as for Toyota going to Busch

from todays sporting news:

"Dan Davis, director of Ford Racing technology, says that the 2006 Ford for the Nextel Cup Series currently is on schedule for the July 1 submission date. Engineers are close to completing the car and will take it to Atlanta for a trial run to make sure the Ford can reach minimum speed and to the wind tunnel before turning it over to NASCAR for approval. NASCAR keeps the car but returns the engine and other pieces. > Despite General Motors' quarterly loss of $ 1.1 billion, the largest deficit since the first quarter of 1992, the newly appointed director of GM racing, Mark Kent, will defend the racing program to stockholders and is optimistic that Chevrolet will be able to compete with Toyota when Toyota enters Cup, which is expected in 2007. Insiders expect Toyota's technology to make it a strong contender immediately. > Crew chief Jimmy Elledge is giving his driver, Casey Mears, every opportunity to prove his worth despite rumors that Mears, who's 26th in points, could be replaced next year. "All indications are we're going to run (with Ganassi Racing)," says Mears, 27. "All the feedback that I get is they're happy with what I'm doing and happy with the improvements that we've got.""

Andrew Longman
05-05-05, 07:03 AM
It's not this issue or that issue, it's all of the issues combined. There is no doubt in my mind that Toyota and Honda will fundamentally destabilize NASCAR.

Ask yourself what would happen if GM and Ford got tired of taking a public drubbing week after week and pull out, something we've seen both do more than once. :laugh: While it's obviously premature to speculate on specifics, we have all seen the effects of these companies showing up and spending megabucks against competitors that aren't.

oc

OC, as usual you made my point better than I did. Ford, Chevy and DC are already complaining about the costs of NASCAR, and their investment is largely marketing cost. NASCAR rules makers ensure that they all get about the same wins regardless of engineering. There was a small revolt last year that didn't go anywhere, but they are American car makers and they all are very cost sensitive.

But Toyota and Honda will no doubt bump up budgets, and suck up talent and that won't sit well in Detroit. DC left nascar for, what, 20 years? GM is down to one nameplate. It is not a given they will spend anything to stay in Cup.

Warlock!
05-05-05, 09:00 AM
Great to finally hear.

Warlock!
05-05-05, 10:13 AM
Sorry... Being lazy and not wanting to try to sift thru the NASCAR website for results, How has Toyota done in the trucks so far? Anyone have a grasp on them boyz?

Spicoli
05-05-05, 10:49 AM
Welcome to last year.

ouch.

how you like dating an undergrad?

:runs:

Sean O'Gorman
05-05-05, 11:26 AM
Sorry... Being lazy and not wanting to try to sift thru the NASCAR website for results, How has Toyota done in the trucks so far? Anyone have a grasp on them boyz?

So far they've done about average. I think 5th, 8th, and 9th in points are all Toyota drivers but they haven't won any of the 5 races this year. Keep in mind, they don't exactly have the greatest driver lineup. Last year they had only one driver in the top 10 in points, and 4 wins.

So basically, what is the big deal here? They are about on par with the rest of the field, why are guys like Roush up in arms over their presence?