PDA

View Full Version : Article about Gil

cart7
05-03-05, 08:28 PM
Pretty good read Linkie (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=rpm&id=2047867)

Interesting exerpt:

De Ferran's new job is a 180-degree reversal from the Indy Racing League television commentary work he has been doing since retiring from the cockpit following the 2003 season. But in truth, Gil was always somewhat uncomfortable about his association with the IRL, where he was taken for the final two years of his driving career after CART founder Penske made the controversial switch to Tony George's series.

nrc
05-03-05, 09:17 PM
I guess someone needs to get The Partner in line. :)

FRANKY
05-03-05, 10:09 PM
Pretty good read Linkie (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=rpm&id=2047867)

Interesting exerpt:

De Ferran's new job is a 180-degree reversal from the Indy Racing League television commentary work he has been doing since retiring from the cockpit following the 2003 season. But in truth, Gil was always somewhat uncomfortable about his association with the IRL, where he was taken for the final two years of his driving career after CART founder Penske made the controversial switch to Tony George's series.

Yea but I doubt you'll find Gil being quoted.

Lizzerd
05-03-05, 11:49 PM
Gil is a class act. I'm mildly surprised that the author had any viable knowledge of Gill being uncomfortable in irl. It just doesn't seem like him to complain, to anybody. That's also why I never said FGF when he went twirling. It was his loyalty to FRP that took him there.

CART T. Katz
05-04-05, 12:41 AM
i said it over there

i never though that gdf went there willingly. when his contract was up, i don't think that anyone in CART could find a place for him or gdf couldn't find someone to make a place for him, so he went to the only place where he could guarantee a seat and that was back to penske. and while he was there, gil never said a bad word about championship auto racing teams. not ever. if he could get back to CART, i am most definitely sure he would have been back. and if he wants to get back involved with champcars, i would welcome him back with open arms as would the rest of the fanbase.

tllips
05-04-05, 08:51 AM
i said it over there

i never though that gdf went there willingly. when his contract was up, i don't think that anyone in CART could find a place for him or gdf couldn't find someone to make a place for him, so he went to the only place where he could guarantee a seat and that was back to penske. and while he was there, gil never said a bad word about championship auto racing teams. not ever. if he could get back to CART, i am most definitely sure he would have been back. and if he wants to get back involved with champcars, i would welcome him back with open arms as would the rest of the fanbase.

Agreed, whole heartedly! Gil is a class act!!!!! :thumbup:

lone_groover
05-04-05, 09:05 AM
Nevertheless, the man took the money and went with the people that wanted to kill ChampCar.

Gil WAS/IS/WILL BE a rich S.O.B., and he went for the money.

Doesn't exactly peg the ol' class meter, in my book.

:thumdown:

Insomniac
05-04-05, 09:17 AM
i said it over there

Most definitely. There is a small number of guys who went to the IRL that behaved professionally. I certainly respected and understood his decision to re-sign with Penske and he was one of the few people I begrudged for it. Class act all the way.

Insomniac
05-04-05, 09:24 AM
Nevertheless, the man took the money and went with the people that wanted to kill ChampCar.

What option would you choose?

1. Re-sign with Penske in May for 3 guaranteed years.
2. Wait until November-December and hope to get a ride in CART.

mueber
05-04-05, 09:26 AM
Both Honda and Penske have been deceitful and hypocritical as regards IRL/CART, so you’ll forgive me for not suggesting Gil, who does/did business with both, for sainthood.

lone_groover
05-04-05, 09:35 AM
I don't have money or fame. So maybe I'm not the guy to ask about integrity and love of the game.

I wouldn't sell out.

FRANKY
05-04-05, 12:09 PM
I don't have money or fame. So maybe I'm not the guy to ask about integrity and love of the game.

I wouldn't sell out.

Instead of getting CART's top drivers.

Gil De Ferran
Helio Castroneves
Scott Dixon
Adrian Fernandez
Bryan Herta
Dario Franchitti
Tony Kanaan
Darren Manning

Toyota and Honda would have picked up other talent while these guys picked up unemployment checks. Same goes for the owners, no manufacturers, no green flag.

Barron, Memo, and a host of IRL drivers would have had yen for the first time.

KLang
05-04-05, 12:15 PM
This article is going over big with the gomeratti. :laugh:

As far as I know Gil has never bad-mouthed CART or ChampCar so he's still OK in my book.

skaven
05-04-05, 10:57 PM

Yeah. But didn't Penske tell everyone that there was only going to be one series in X number of months? Maybe Gil believed him... and then sold out. :gomer:

But just because you are the lesser of two evils, doesn't mean you have class.

Our society is keen to applaud restraint. Whenever an athlete doesn't hit a fan we applaud him. Whenever a CART defector/ backstabber/ plunderer doesn't badmouth CART, we tend to applaud them. Rare as they are. Grrrr... :mad:

Insomniac
05-05-05, 08:47 AM

I wouldn't sell out.

I guess we don't see eye-to-eye on this one. I just couldn't imagine saying no to a guaranteed job and then just hoping it worked out 7 months later. Especially the state CART was in at the time. We also all know that agents check out the waters while their clients are under contract, so he had a good idea of his prospects in trying ot return to CART. Turns out, Gil was right. The next year, more teams jumped ship, more "name" drivers jumped ship and more ride buyers were in CART. Gil would've ended up sitting out, or at another team in the IRL.

oddlycalm
05-05-05, 12:53 PM
Quite an interesting time for de Ferran to land at BAR. The three race ban, retroactive to Imola, is not exactly the point where anyone would want to start a new job I would think.

oc

Gnam
05-05-05, 01:15 PM
http://img112.echo.cx/img112/2340/66694cx.jpg

What?! Cheating? Oh, c'mon man, I just got here. Huck Fonda!

http://img112.echo.cx/img112/5809/irlnashgil2sz.jpg

Thank you, thank you. Welcome to the Grand Opening of Sparta's Super Walmart/Hair care/Tire Center. We're Gil and the Wall-bangers, and we'll be your entertainment for the next 15 minutes.

CART T. Katz
05-06-05, 11:54 PM
Thank you, thank you. Welcome to the Grand Opening of Sparta's Super Walmart/Hair care/Tire Center. We're Gil and the Wall-bangers, and we'll be your entertainment for the next 15 minutes.

wow. i never realized that gallatin co. was that important to the state economy to deserve such a large supercenter. and such quality entertainment too! maybe we can get them to play at the new arena downtownERRRRRRRRRRRRRRat the fairgrounds when they build that arena after they build the bridge. :gomer:

man, i thought that teh derby and louisville was the state's economic engine. shows what some dumbass kentucky boy nowes then, eh? :gomer: