PDA

View Full Version : Tracy to NASCAR rumor

rabbit
05-03-05, 04:42 PM
Found this article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050428.wxwhracing28/BNStory/specialMegawheels/) on cart.com . About halfway down is this nugget:

One thing seems certain: no matter who wins the fight over Long Beach, Champ Car driver Paul Tracy probably will not be back in 2006. Sources close to the 37-year-old insist that he's already decided to jump to NASCAR in 2006 and continues an active search for the right deal.

Tracy's loss would be another tough pill for the series. The West Hill, Ont., native was one of Champ Car's biggest supporters even as it spiralled into receivership and turned down a NASCAR offer two years ago in a welcome show of loyalty to the series.

His decision to leave seems to be fuelled by two things: he's not sure a favourable contract will be coming from a Champ Car team when his current deal expires at the end of the season and NASCAR continues to make noise about a Canadian stop in 2006.

While other tracks such as Mosport International Raceway have been touted as candidates for a race, the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal is the country's only suitable venue. Although Montreal race promoter Normand Legault is only allowed two race weekends annually, bringing NASCAR to the city would simply require a change in the city bylaws.

Since it would also be a terrible mistake to bet against Legault's powers of persuasion, look for Tracy's Canadian NASCAR debut on the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve some time in the near future.

SurfaceUnits
05-03-05, 05:23 PM
PT's Mom said it's not true

racer2c
05-03-05, 05:30 PM
Keep in mind, Paul has been very candid in saying that when his days in a Champ Car areover, he would love to race in NASCAR. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Tin tops are a way for an aging open wheel driver to stay in a car way past what they can in open wheel, make big bucks, and in the case of Nextel Cup, become a household name.

Wheel-Nut
05-03-05, 05:34 PM
Let me be the first FPT :rofl:

nrc
05-03-05, 05:51 PM
Tracy's contract is coming up. He wants to get paid. He doesn't want to go to the IRL. Where else is he going to look to keep Gerry honest on his next contract?

Winston Wolfe
05-03-05, 05:53 PM
Them thar Neckcar fellas will greet this former OW champ with the same open arms and driving style they have been known to extend to the other who have crossed over.
Scott Pruett, Fittipaldi the Lesser, and most recently, Michel Jourdain, Jr.

IIRC - Scotty actually got the pole at a race or two, and was promptly greeted with a gentle push up into the outside wall on T1 at one track.

I wouldnt begrudge PT in any way, shape, or form. I think he has been an outstanding spokesperson for CCWS since it re-org'd from CART, and if he has to make a check to pay for that new bride of his, then so be it , and more power to him (and more CA$H, as well)

Wheel-Nut
05-03-05, 06:09 PM
Maybe he should ask Jimmy how his (JV) business arrangement works.

cart7
05-03-05, 06:29 PM
IIRC, the other article I saw on this had Paul openly wondering if it won't be a requirement to bring money to the table to get any CCWS seat if things don't get any better sponsor-wise. The guys just feathering his nest the way I see it. His best days are behind him, might as well slide, bump 'n rub his way gracefully into retirement then go begging to CCWS bosses for a paying gig.

theunions
05-03-05, 06:51 PM
Maybe he should ask Jimmy how his (JV) business arrangement works.

And how come JV's Busch Series career lasted a grand total of two races. By choice.

FTG
05-03-05, 07:24 PM
PT will shove back. Might end up paying all his salary in fines year one, but he'll get respect.

Gnam
05-03-05, 07:39 PM
PT will shove back. Might end up paying all his salary in fines year one, but he'll get respect.
"Cause his money comes in heaps, and the kids love him in the streets." ;)

They'd probably just lump him in with Jeff Gordon as a driver they love to hate.

Wheel-Nut
05-03-05, 08:25 PM
And how come JV's Busch Series career lasted a grand total of two races. By choice.

What's that got to do with his involvment with PKV?

FRANKY
05-03-05, 10:12 PM
I think Jimmy quickly realized that tin tops weren't for him. I'm sure Paul could get a PKT arrangement.

I just wonder if a Canadian firm would step up and sponsor Paul in Cup?

theunions
05-04-05, 02:09 AM
What's that got to do with his involvment with PKV?

If he decided to stick with Busch (and ultimately switch full-time) in order to prolong his overall career, as he originally cited as his motivation, there never would've been a PKV.

TorontoWorker
05-04-05, 07:54 PM
Forget Montreal for NASCAR. (The locals couldn't give a crap about them anyway...)

The earthmovers and cement trucks are booked all around Durham Region for spring 06... ;)

TorontoWorker
05-06-05, 09:17 AM
Forget Montreal for NASCAR. (The locals couldn't give a crap about them anyway...)

The earthmovers and cement trucks are booked all around Durham Region for spring 06... ;)

Further...

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2005/05/05/1026729-sun.html

NismoZ
05-06-05, 10:05 AM
At Milwaukee on Wednesday Jimmy Vasser siad PT "is as good as gone" for next year.

Sean O'Gorman
05-06-05, 11:19 AM
Maybe PT just feels there is no more challenge anymore? Like it or not, NASCAR is going to be very difficult for PT, and I'm sure he'll enjoy the challenge.

rabbit
05-06-05, 11:20 AM
Maybe PT just feels there is no more challenge anymore? Like it or not, NASCAR is going to be very difficult for PT, and I'm sure he'll enjoy the challenge.Yeah, cause racing wheel to wheel w/ SeaBass is a piece of cake. :rolleyes: ;)

Sean O'Gorman
05-06-05, 12:35 PM
I'm not saying NASCAR is going to be easier or harder than racing up front in Champ Car, just a different challenge. Sometimes different is diffuclt, and thus more rewarding to do well. He beat Bourdais in '03, if he beats him again its nothing new, and if he doesn't beat him its just a sign hes slipping as a Champ Car driver.

Like I said, maybe it is just an issue of wanting to move on.

Methanolandbrats
05-06-05, 12:42 PM
He likes to run into stuff, he'll love NASCAR. Bet he gets into a pit lane fistfight before mid-season. :thumbup:

Gnam
05-06-05, 12:51 PM
Like I said, maybe it is just an issue of wanting to move on.
Yeah, and maybe he's just got something in his eye.

http://img97.echo.cx/img97/5913/crazyeyesdollar3lk.jpg

2DB
05-06-05, 12:58 PM
If this is more than a rumor then has any team been mentioned in regards to wanting his services?

Kelvis

redmist
05-06-05, 01:37 PM
If this is more than a rumor then has any team been mentioned in regards to wanting his services?

Kelvis

childress has been mentioned for the last 5 or 6 years.

FTG
05-06-05, 03:20 PM
It's not money, it's reflexes. He's getting too old for openwheel.

Old3Fan
05-08-05, 08:21 PM
It's not money, it's reflexes. He's getting too old for openwheel.

Yeah, really old. He took the pole at Long Beach :shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
05-08-05, 08:25 PM
I heard you don't need quick reflexes in NASCAR too, an 800 hp 3400 lb stock car on narrow, hard, Goodyears practically drives itself.

extramundane
05-08-05, 10:21 PM
I heard you don't need quick reflexes in NASCAR too, an 800 hp 3400 lb stock car on narrow, hard, Goodyears practically drives itself.

Hey, if overweight men closer to 60 than 30 can do it...

racer2c
05-08-05, 10:31 PM

Well, considering the semi truck size steering wheel and four turns lock to lock, your sarcasm rings true. Or were you being facetious?

JT265
05-08-05, 10:56 PM
Well, considering the semi truck size steering wheel and four turns lock to lock, your sarcasm rings true. Or were you being facetious?

Neither. He out- O'Gorman'ed himself again. You just have to consider that folks like Jimmy Spencer and Dave Marcis are twice the athletes of anyone in road racing to see the truth in Sean's O'Gorman, you understand.

coolhand
05-08-05, 11:02 PM
Jimmy Spencer rocks

JT265
05-08-05, 11:04 PM
Jimmy Spencer rocks

'specially when he falls down.

:D

Sean O'Gorman
05-09-05, 09:56 AM
So when was the last time that Jimmy Spencer or Dave Marcis won a race? There is a difference between driving a race car, and driving it competitively.

JT - :rofl:

TKGAngel
05-09-05, 12:19 PM
Jayski is reporting this morning that PT is one of the potential contenders to replace Rusty Wallace in the #2 Miller car.

I'm not sure about this one, since everyone and their grandmother has been linked to this ride at some point, and didn't PT burn his bridges with Penske?

JT265
05-09-05, 01:11 PM
Jayski is reporting this morning that PT is one of the potential contenders to replace Rusty Wallace in the #2 Miller car.

I'm not sure about this one, since everyone and their grandmother has been linked to this ride at some point, and didn't PT burn his bridges with Penske?

Guaranteed that ain't never gonna happen. I doubt Paul would pi$$ on Pimpski if he was on fire.

anait
05-09-05, 01:21 PM
JT, I really need to win that online auction...I shore don't want no dang ol' Cup car ride-along... :gomer: :laugh:

JT265
05-09-05, 01:28 PM
JT, I really need to win that online auction...I shore don't want no dang ol' Cup car ride-along... :gomer: :laugh:

I'll put a good word in for ya, okay?

:D

ChampCar#3
05-09-05, 01:43 PM
and didn't PT burn his bridges with Penske?

I think that Pimske burn his bridges to PT?.....It's Pimske (if rumours are true) that want PT to drive for him.....AGAIN AGAIN AND AGAIN !

Who would work for someone that fired you twice........oh yeah....Billy Martin!

anait
05-09-05, 01:43 PM
/continued thread hijack/

JT: "Ladies and gentlemen of the Molson Indy Festival Foundation...please consider the lowest bid for the Paul Tracy two-seater ride... 'cause she's a desperate housewife..." :p

/end thread hijack, I promise! :cool: /