PDA

View Full Version : How do you get cork off a wall??

anait
05-03-05, 10:38 AM
No, not Cork the poster, but old cork tile remnants. I've tried scraping with a trowel and with my fingernails, and washing. Today I'll try sanding it off. Mr anait suggested using our power sander...although overkill comes to mind... :D

Off to Google. Anybody here have any hints?

G.
05-03-05, 10:48 AM
Putting cork on the wall is an evil, evil thing.

I removed it from a wall in the old house (it was really just thick wallpaper). Scrape what you can and try using wallpaper removal solution. Depending on what it was glued on with, the wallpaper removal stuff works pretty well.

When all was removed, then I took the belt sander to the wall. There was some glue spots that were not going to come off without a fight. I fought. Hard.

Prepare to become an expert at skim-coating. There will be spackle work to do. Basically the whole wall.

rosawendel
05-03-05, 10:59 AM
is the original wall finished in plaster or drywall? plaster could be worth saving, if it's in good enough condition. if the originall wall is drywall, well, all i can say is that occasionally, there comes a time when it's just best to yank the puppy down and start anew....

Michaelhatesfans
05-03-05, 11:00 AM
Man, at first glance I thought you were asking how to get a cork out of a wall... I was thinking that it was a bit early to be hitting the champagne, but I'm not one to judge.
:cool:

anait
05-03-05, 11:48 AM
It's on drywall, a small section in our bedroom - less than 4'x2'. It's behind/above where I have my computer desk. I've had a painting hanging in front to hide it. It has crossed my mind to paint around the offending section and just put the painting back up. :D

I won't tackle replacing the drywall, but I am a decent hand with drywall compound. I of course should have repaired ALL the walls before starting to paint, but hey, I was desperate to get some colour on the walls. :o :gomer: Hopefully I'll be completely done before mr anait returns from his trip. Well, all done except for the chair rail and baseboards...and hanging a new curtain rod and shade...and painting a headboard on the wall...

G.
05-03-05, 11:53 AM
Move the 'puter and all accessories, sw, etc. It's gonna get messy.

Rob
05-03-05, 12:07 PM
Have you tried soaking the cork? I had a friend who couldn't get it off, so his girlfriend came over and soaked it for him. Problem solved.

*snicker*

Warlock!
05-03-05, 12:19 PM
Have you tried soaking the cork? I had a friend who couldn't get it off, so his girlfriend came over and soaked it for him. Problem solved.
Or you can buy a special type of vaccuum cleaner... don't remember the name of it... try Googling "Cork Sucker"...

anait
05-03-05, 01:32 PM
^^^ Oh, you two are so cute... :p

cart7
05-03-05, 02:21 PM
In the future, I'd suggest changing positions periodically so he's not hitting the same place on the wall everytime. ;)

What were we talking about?
:mind wandering:

SteveH
05-03-05, 02:26 PM
Changing positions?

Can't imagine why that would be a problem......

http://www.corkscrew.com/images/fixed_med120.jpg

How many positions can you use a cork screw in any way?

:lame:

JT265
05-03-05, 02:53 PM
Changing positions?

Can't imagine why that would be a problem......

http://www.corkscrew.com/images/fixed_med120.jpg

How many positions can you use a cork screw in any way?

:lame:

The key is to get the model with reversible threads. The the sky's the limit.

:laugh:

cart7
05-03-05, 03:40 PM
...and painting a headboard on the wall...

Hmmm.. interesting. I might add if you feel like adding a touch of whimsy to the bedroom, Martha Stewart has some wonderful handcuff stencils you could add to that headboard. It's part of her latest prison collection. :laugh:

dando
05-03-05, 07:18 PM
I believe Spicoli would suggest using a power washer. ;)

-Kevin

oddlycalm
05-03-05, 11:11 PM
If the cork was glued up on drywall that was primed and painted it should peel off unless someone got creative on the adhesive. I've had wallpaper that was applied to bare drywall, and it's exactly what G. described. Scrape it off as well as possible with a big putty knife, then skim coat and sand the entire area. After that, prime with an oil primer and cut out and re-plaster any areas that bubble up. :thumdown: :( Bummer.

oc

Ankf00
05-03-05, 11:17 PM
easy, you bring by a fatty lasagna, that should get cork's attention right quick :gomer:

well that or a Michael Schumacher Real Doll ;)

anait
05-03-05, 11:32 PM
K, since our power sander is currently off the premises, I have been persistent with the fingernails today...and most of the mess has been scratched off. I feel like I'm in a prison or something, etching off the days... The wall was primed and painted; not much damage from the cork tile adhesive, except where I got a little crazy earlier with the trowel. :o

Re the headboard: I was planning on painting all the walls in overlapping rectangles based on the Fibonacci sequence, in very similar colours so as to not induce flashbacks...the headboard wall in blues and greens, the other three walls in taupes...but one remark from mr anait (which he insists was NOT meant in a negative way :D ) about 'Partridge Family walls' nixed that idea. But if I do paint a headboard, it will be using those rectangles. :cool:

anait
05-10-05, 04:48 PM
Update for diehard reno followers: I followed up the glue scraping with a good coat of plaster, and sanded it smooth today...well, as smooth as I could. Just primed it, and I must say it's very nice to see a nice white wall again. So - painting nearly done, and hopefully this evening I will check out the price of a sheet of mdf for the chair rail details. :thumbup:

nrc
05-10-05, 08:24 PM
...but one remark from mr anait (which he insists was NOT meant in a negative way :D ) about 'Partridge Family walls' nixed that idea. But if I do paint a headboard, it will be using those rectangles. :cool:

Heh. It's very "Partridge Family". But in a good sorta way. :laugh:

oddlycalm
05-11-05, 11:57 AM
overlapping rectangles based on the Fibonacci sequence, in very similar colours so as to not induce flashbacks... :laugh: :D :rofl:

Outstanding... that one nearly sailed by me as I was scanning your progress. That made my day. :thumbup:

oc

anait
05-12-05, 10:32 AM
Checked out mdf last night. For the chair rail, could go with 3/8" mdf - anything thicker sticking out from the wall at pillow level seems a bit dangerous. :D Alternatively, I could get 54' of pre-primed molding/baseboard/window casing, if I could find a completely square-edged, flat, groove-free style...

But, to save cutting fees and installation work, I think instead I will get out the T-square and a pencil, and paint my own lines. We have a laser level, but I hate trying to draw lines or line up painters' tape with the stupid thing...the edge of the line, top or bottom, is never clear enough for my liking.