PDA

View Full Version : RA prepares for the next 50 years

pchall
05-03-05, 07:55 AM
link (http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpress/news/archive/biz_20832472.shtml)

Road America... plans to install newer, upscale Kohler Co. bathrooms, Bruggenthies said.

“We thought why don’t we put in some of the really cool stuff that Kohler does,” Bruggenthies said. “We’re in the process of working with a designer on how we can incorporate the higher-end products and put it in our general public bathrooms. The spectators are going to be blown away when they come in and see some of these painted sinks and stuff. I think it’s really going to be cool.”

:rolleyes: No other comment is necessary.

Napoleon
05-03-05, 08:16 AM
Of course not only is Kohler located around the corner from RA, but it is a sponser and in general a road racing supporter (in the SCCA they actually sponsered a car for years-I recall them advertising in Mid-Ohio programs also).

So I assume this is kind of a subtle product placement type deal where the track gets the stuff for free or at cost and notes that it is Kohler product.

RTKar
05-03-05, 08:19 AM
To hell with sponsoring bathrooms, sponsor the damn Champcar race!

Andrew Longman
05-03-05, 08:26 AM
I've been there twice and greatly enjoyed myself. I even found the bathroom in the family campground to be quite nice. But if they think that bathrooms and a museum are going to bring 'em in, the board is clueless.

Today a track like RA needs to adopt a business model similar to VIR. They operate year round. The bring in economical races, but mostly operate as a corporate hospitality and conference facility along with a driving school. Its more of a destination for weekend road warriors and corporate executives. Apparently its working well enough that the owner is building a similar facility in South Jersey.

RA may not be under development pressure and given where it is it may never, but it is not going to pay the bills letting people race ATVs. It is close enough to Milwaukee and Chicago to attract corporate types.

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-05, 09:09 AM
You mean those metal tubes that lead to a whole in the ground WEREN'T Kohler???

KLang
05-03-05, 09:48 AM
the board is clueless.

:thumbup:

I don't care what the bathroom facilities are like if I'm not going to be there. And I won't be visiting if ChampCar isn't there.

OT. The Kohler showroom in Kohler is pretty cool.

Wheel-Nut
05-03-05, 09:52 AM
Kohler - I always thought that was how someone from Minnesot-er ordered a cola!!

GOFAST1
05-03-05, 07:45 PM
Fix the track and allow CHAMPCAR to come back and I would be perfectly happy to piss in the trees and bushes.

Methanolandbrats
05-03-05, 09:11 PM
Today a track like RA needs to adopt a business model similar to VIR. They operate year round. The bring in economical races, but mostly operate as a corporate hospitality and conference facility along with a driving school. Its more of a destination for weekend road warriors and corporate executives. Apparently its working well enough that the owner is building a similar facility in South Jersey.
They run when there is'nt snow on the track
http://www.roadamerica.com/2005/races_clubs.htm These dates are in addition to the professional weekends. They make plenty of money. Champcar should have lowered the sanction fee so both groups could absorb a small loss and build for the future. And I don't want to hear that "profitable" ******** when Champcar rented that s***** little oval in Vegas.

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-05, 09:19 PM
http://www.roadamerica.com/2005/races_clubs.htm These dates are in addition to the professional weekends. They make plenty of money. Champcar should have lowered the sanction fee so both groups could absorb a small loss and build for the future. And I don't want to hear that "profitable" ******** when Champcar rented that s***** little oval in Vegas.

:thumbup:

Don't forget that they will likely take a loss at least the first year or two in San Jose...

FRANKY
05-03-05, 10:07 PM
Fix the track and allow CHAMPCAR to come back and I would be perfectly happy to piss in the trees and bushes.

What's wrong with the track?

Methanolandbrats
05-03-05, 10:12 PM
What's wrong with the track?Nothing.

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-05, 10:28 PM
What's wrong with the track?

There aren't Champ Cars running there this year.

Methanolandbrats
05-03-05, 10:29 PM
There aren't Champ Cars running there this year. :thumbup:

dando
05-03-05, 10:56 PM
Nothing.
Well, aside from some drainage issues as I recall from a few years ago.

-Kevin

oddlycalm
05-03-05, 11:41 PM
:OT. The Kohler showroom in Kohler is pretty cool. I thought so too until they kicked me out and called the cops. It's not like there were any signs saying "for display only." :D

I've got nothing to say about RA until Champcars race there again. Oh, and I agree regarding Las Vegas and San Jose. If they have money to burn on that crap, they can afford to be at RA. Better yet, KK and JF should buy the place. Champcar, Cosworth and the best natural terrain roadcourse in North America would be a nice combination. That's where the USGP should be run.

oc

Lizzerd
05-03-05, 11:54 PM

-Kevin

That wasn't a drainage issue. It was a monsoon issue. :D

That's when I found out that my tent wasn't really waterproof, too. Ugh...

dando
05-04-05, 12:00 AM
That wasn't a drainage issue. It was a monsoon issue.

Well, rumor was that Noah was building an ark nearby. ;)

Biggest mistake I evar made was not making a trip up to RA while my mom lived in Madison. :cry: :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
05-04-05, 12:25 PM
Well, rumor was that Noah was building an ark nearby. ;)

Biggest mistake I evar made was not making a trip up to RA while my mom lived in Madison. :cry: :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin CCWS will be back, you'll get another chance. The fans love the place, the drivers love the place...it will be worked out.

mueber
05-04-05, 12:26 PM
Both Road America and Mid-Ohio have selected strategies of thinking small.

It’s too bad, but given the lack of interest by spectators in Champ Car at both facilities over the last few years, they can’t be faulted. But I miss the events and wish Champ Car, Mid-Ohio and Road America could work something out that is profitable for all of them.

TKGAngel
05-04-05, 04:47 PM
Speaking of RA, this was on jayski now

Busch crashes into ambulance at Road America: During a mid-morning track test session at Road America [4 mile road course, Elkhart Lake, WI], #97-Kurt Busch drove through a tire barrier and hit an ambulance. Although two ambulance personnel were taken to the hospital for minor injuries, Bush was not hurt in the accident. According to Busch, a loose brake fitting caused break failure as he went into turn five. The incident is under review by the Road America Safety Team.

skaven
05-04-05, 11:46 PM
Road America had a $7 million museum designed in 2001, Bruggenthies said.

I'm too lazy to look. But was that the same year that Heitzler designed the CART amusement park/ museum/ race course that was to be the new HQ in Vegas? :shakehead

cart7
05-05-05, 04:50 AM

-Kevin

Maybe the Kohlers will take care of that. ;)

Seriously, WTF? You're really reaching when you're whoopin it up with press releases for new bathroom fixtures. I guess the benchmark was set years ago when IMS replaced the infield wooden troughs with stainless steel ones. Visionary. :saywhat:

oddlycalm
05-05-05, 01:37 PM
You're really reaching when you're whoopin it up with press releases for new bathroom fixtures. You're missing the point. This is a shrewd marketing plan to broaden the customer base to non-race fans by creating a destination bathroom venue. Bruggenthies expects to attract legions of guys, like himself, with the Sunday paper under their arm that will buy a ticket just to be able to go in there and spend the entire day. :D

oc

Dirty Sanchez
05-05-05, 01:51 PM
http://www.roadamerica.com/2005/races_clubs.htm These dates are in addition to the professional weekends. They make plenty of money. Champcar should have lowered the sanction fee so both groups could absorb a small loss and build for the future. And I don't want to hear that "profitable" ******** when Champcar rented that s***** little oval in Vegas.damn straight :thumbup:

btw, he said "s*****" :laugh:

eiregosod
05-05-05, 05:10 PM
I believe the historics/vintage weekend at RA made RA the most money, that including a champcar weekend