PDA

View Full Version : Road trip to Milwaukee in my future?

Napoleon
04-27-05, 12:17 PM
Who all is going to the Milwaukee race this year?

I have started to think about maybe making that race this year as a weekend get away. Maybe take Friday off, and leave work Thursday night and drive half way there (to around South Bend or Elkart Indiana and finishing the trip on Friday. The trip is going to be around 8 hours in each direction.

How easy is it to find a place to stay? Any other suggestions for someone who has driven through Milwaukee 6 times to and from RA, and once to pick up a race car I had bought in South Milwaukee but doesn’t know squat about the town or anything surrounding the event?

Maybe after the race I could go to Madison and see my favorite radio show on Sunday in person.

http://www.notmuch.com/

If the Brewers are in town maybe catch a game Saturday night?

Napoleon
04-27-05, 02:04 PM
PS - When I scanned the Milwaukee Miles web site I notice they had an IRL race last year. How did that stack up to the Champcar race in action and attendance (didn't see either last year).

Tim
04-27-05, 02:24 PM
Less action but about 6-7k more people than champcar.

Napoleon
04-27-05, 04:57 PM

Yikes! That is too bad.

FRANKY
04-27-05, 06:04 PM

Comparing the numbers:

Qualifying CCWS 181.150 Vs 169.338
Average Speed CCWS 129.859 Vs 128.272
Lead Changes CCWS 0 Vs 8 IRL
Cars on Lead Lap CCWS 3 Vs 7 IRL
Fewer Caution Flags CCWS 46 Laps Vs 39 Laps IRL
Cars DNF Equal

Al Czervik
04-27-05, 07:57 PM
Who all is going to the Milwaukee race this year?

I have started to think about maybe making that race this year as a weekend get away. Maybe take Friday off, and leave work Thursday night and drive half way there (to around South Bend or Elkart Indiana and finishing the trip on Friday. The trip is going to be around 8 hours in each direction.

How easy is it to find a place to stay? Any other suggestions for someone who has driven through Milwaukee 6 times to and from RA, and once to pick up a race car I had bought in South Milwaukee but doesn’t know squat about the town or anything surrounding the event?

Maybe after the race I could go to Madison and see my favorite radio show on Sunday in person.

http://www.notmuch.com/

If the Brewers are in town maybe catch a game Saturday night?

If you're looking for a rider (or a driver, for that matter) from South Bend, drop me a PM :thumbup:

RHR_Fan
04-27-05, 10:13 PM
Brewers aren't in town that weekend.

~Nicole

Hurry Downs
04-27-05, 10:29 PM
PS - When I scanned the Milwaukee Miles web site I notice they had an IRL race last year. How did that stack up to the Champcar race in action and attendance (didn't see either last year).

Napolean,

There is a post over at Champweb "need help in Millwaukee" The TV production Co is looking for volunteers to help w/ spotting. Here is a brief discription of the duties.

"We cover everything on the track, all practice ,qualifying, and races for the
weekend. Your job as a spotter, is to be located at one area, most probably
with a cameraman, looking for crashes, spins, passes, races within the race.
This information is relayed by radio to the head spotter in the production
truck. Please understand that this is a voluntary position(lunch and
accreditation included)."

To me it sounded like a blast, I was all ready to commit when the date of the race came up. DOOOOH!
Our second child is due June 10th... There is always next year

Jervis Tetch 1
04-28-05, 09:19 AM
Brewers aren't in town that weekend.

~Nicole :( ...and I love baseball...oh well, I'll still be in town for the race. :)

Fitti Fan
04-28-05, 10:50 AM
The Mr. and I will be there to celebrate our one-year anniversary!! We stayed at a hotel in Brookfield. Pretty quick from there to the track.

TrueBrit
04-28-05, 10:53 AM
:( ...and I love baseball...oh well, I'll still be in town for the race. :)

Really?

Hmmm..might have to make the trek northward from Chicago then....!