PDA

View Full Version : Bad news race fans...

Pages : [1] 2

Nick51
04-26-05, 06:14 AM
To all who knew Railbird,

My dad, John Gaughan, (Railbird) passed away this morning of a heartattack. He went in his sleep. Please keep my mom in your prayers.

'Bird loved his family, racing, and his dogs and would not want us to be sad but rather go to the next race and drink a cold beer for him!

"Drop the flag"

Nick

Ankf00
04-26-05, 06:53 AM
wow, I'm sorry... :eek: :(

chop456
04-26-05, 06:56 AM
My God. I don't know what to say.

John was a hell of a guy, and you'll never find a kinder or more knowledgeable race fan.

Though I've only been able to hang out with him a few times, I count him as a friend and consider myself very lucky to have known him.

I'm truly at a loss for words.

God speed, John.

:(

Ziggy
04-26-05, 07:00 AM
Im devestated

A great friend, father and husband......

Ziggy

RTKar
04-26-05, 07:14 AM
I'm so sorry. This makes me very sad. John and I chatted last year at the USAC event in Milwaukee. The times I saw him at the track, he was always smiling I had invited him out for a couple beers but he had to head back to Indy. I had looked forward to our next meeting. I enjoyed his company however briefly it was, chatting racing both here and at the track. I'm so very,very sorry for your loss. You have my thoughts and prayers.

Rick

...After I read about bird's passing this morning, I couldn't think about anything else all day at work.... how I was looking forward to seeing him at Milwaukee in turn three sipping a beer with a bunch of race fans, chatting racing with any and all, hopefully meeting up with him at Ziggy's before the USGP like last year so I could learn a few things and get a good laugh or two. I didn't know him well but I know I'll miss him. The racing season just isn't going to be the same.

mapguy
04-26-05, 07:23 AM
I am truly sorry Nick. John was a great guy. A great sense of humor and a wealth of racing knowledge.

I will keep your Mom and you in my prayers.

This forum will not be the same without 'bird.

sadams
04-26-05, 07:29 AM
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Kiwifan
04-26-05, 07:38 AM
That's so sad. So so sad. Man, I don't know what to say to you. Although I never met 'bird I classed him as my racing friend. I will miss him so much.... :cry:

My thoghts are with you and everyone who knew him.

Russell.

TRDfan
04-26-05, 07:40 AM
I met Bird a couple years ago at RA. Just one meeting but he made quite an impression.

Nick, my thoughts are with you and your mother. I'm sure your father will be toasted to many times during this race season.

Opposite Lock
04-26-05, 08:04 AM
I looked forward to meeting him someday. Always enjoyed his posting.

Sorry for your loss, Nick, but thanks for passing along the information.

Warlock!
04-26-05, 08:05 AM
'Bird... would not want us to be sad but rather go to the next race and drink a cold beer for him!

"Drop the flag"

Nick
Nick... so sorry, man. Your pop was one of the dudes I most looked forward to seeing on race weekends. Thoughts and prayers to you and your mom.

We'll raise beers for him, that's for damn sure.

"Drop the flag"...

RIP, John.

Paintergeek
04-26-05, 08:09 AM
I first met Railbird at one of the ol 7G gettogethers. I would occasionally run into him at gas stations on the west side.

Johns last post was at 7:57 last night in the F1 forum, and nicks post was at 5:14 a.m. How quickly it can all go away.

IM terribly sorry to hear this news, and am very thankful for you taking the time to let us know. It shows how much of a fan he was, that one of your first instincts at 5:00 in the morning on the day of his passing, was to come let his 'second family' know. You are in our thoughts an prayers, as well as the Mrs. :(

Turn7
04-26-05, 08:15 AM
You have my deepest sympathies and my families prayers.

God bless you and your family during this time of mourning.

tllips
04-26-05, 08:16 AM
I've never met Railbird, but I felt a little bit connected as we share the same birthday.

I also always enjoyed his insights on these forums.

My prayers are with you...

Ratattack
04-26-05, 08:17 AM
Though I don't post much here, I always enjoyed 'birds posts. He knew racing, thats for sure.

Thoughts and prayers to you and the family, Nick. As 'Lock said, Glasses and Cans will raise all year, I am sure...

Cam
04-26-05, 08:23 AM
I am lost for words. Godspeed John.

I had hoped for many more great times together.

Rest In Peace my good friend. :(

cart7
04-26-05, 08:35 AM
I'm speechless. One of the internet forum racefans I really wanted to meet. Prayers to you and your family. :(

lone_groover
04-26-05, 08:35 AM
Never met him. But I always looked forward to reading his concise, witty and always carefully considered opinions. His insights were informed by a tremendous knowledge and an obvious passion for the sport that made us all better, more thoughtful racefans.

My thoughts are with his family.

He was a very intelligent man.

Spicoli
04-26-05, 08:50 AM
Complete Bummer. Holy ****ing ****.

Not much to say, but best to you and your family.

John went to races.

JT265
04-26-05, 08:54 AM
Nick... so sorry, man. Your pop was one of the dudes I most looked forward to seeing on race weekends. Thoughts and prayers to you and your mom.

We'll raise beers for him, that's for damn sure.

"Drop the flag"...

RIP, John.

Like Matty said. Thoughts and prayers for all Nick, and anything we can do let us know okay?

Drop the flag :(

RusH
04-26-05, 08:54 AM
RIP :(

The Doctor
04-26-05, 08:56 AM
Thoughts and prayers for the family. I'd come to enjoy 'Bird's posts here on OC -- full of knowledge and humor. He'll be missed.

Hot Rod Otis
04-26-05, 08:56 AM
I never met 'bird but I felt like he was a friend. I always looked forward to seeing his posts. To me, the greatest compliment I could get on a forum was having Railbird give me props for a good post. I'll miss him.

God speed John. :(

Dirty Sanchez
04-26-05, 09:02 AM
'Bird will be missed... that's for sure. Best of luck to you and your family, Nick.

IlliniRacer
04-26-05, 09:08 AM
John's signature line on another forum was "Living well is the best revenge."

After only meeting him a few times, I know he did just that. My thoughts and prayers are with his family today.

"Drop the flag"

nrc
04-26-05, 09:08 AM
I am just crushed. :(

John was a great guy, and a great racing fan. It was always a pleasure having him around here and I always enjoyed seeing him at the races. He was never shy about his opinions on racing but he never let the negatives spoil his fun or his enjoyment of the sport.

A while back John sent us some nice feedback about the OC forums. I kept that message because I'm proud that OC was a forum where John liked to hang out. I told him that as far as we were concerned, he was a good litmus test. If a fan like him was happy hanging out here, then we must be doing something right.

I'm proud to have known him and happy to tend the virtual bar room where he could raise a glass and share a rumor from time to time. We will miss his knowledge, his humor and his spirit, and we will always honor his memory.

"Drop the flag."

Sean O'Gorman
04-26-05, 09:15 AM
R.I.P. to the man who was unquestionably the #1 race fan on this site.

You have my thoughts and prayers.

-Sean O'

calculus_entropy
04-26-05, 09:18 AM
WOW!

Sad news. Godspeed, John.

Rob
04-26-05, 09:21 AM
What a shock. A huge loss to our family as well as to his own. We'll miss you, John.

Joelski
04-26-05, 09:22 AM
Having never met 'bird, he was derinitely on my list of people to look out for. I rather enjoyed his posts here, and other places, contibuting to the knowledge of the newer fans, and "rubbin'" the ones that should know better. ;) My first impression of him through his writing was "What an elitist prick!", but, after getting the low-down from serval folks out and about that know him well, I drew the conclusion that he's just like the rest of us (elitist pricks :D). Godspeed, Wilbur. :(

RaceGrrl
04-26-05, 09:35 AM
I am in denial. I just cannot accept that he's gone. :( :( :(

Nick, my prayers are with you and your family. John was a great guy and I always enjoyed talking to him, but mostly I enjoyed listening to him.

"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."

Jack London

Railbird was a man who used his time. He will be sorely missed.

fourrunner
04-26-05, 09:45 AM
I am totally bummed

This Forum has lost one of the best members it could have

I never met John but in all the years I've been posting ... he was one of the best, and we'd occasionally PM about the absurdities of the day ...

We had a little PM chat a couple weeks ago, and my sign off was that I hoped I'd meet him someday at the track !

It sucks that that won't happen

This place is going to be a little empty without him !

Nick ... I'm sorry for your loss, and my best to your Mom!

fourrunner

Natty
04-26-05, 09:45 AM
this sucks at the highest level. our thoughts are with you, nick.

the ol' bird meant a lot to us. :sucks:

pfc_m_drake
04-26-05, 09:47 AM
I am absolutely lost for words. While I never met him, you could tell that he was a class act...and a true race fan through and through. I will miss him very very much.

anait
04-26-05, 09:48 AM

Nick, I am so sorry. I will be praying for you and your mom.

I hadn't met 'bird yet...but loved reading his posts and occasionally talking in chat.

Godspeed to John. Maybe he's found Greg, and the two of them are deep in ChampCar discussion...

WickerBill
04-26-05, 09:56 AM
Nick, God bless your family. Thank you *so much* for sharing with us, and allowing us to grieve with you.

WB

rosawendel
04-26-05, 10:02 AM
i appreciated his insight. godspeed.
my best to your family.

BobN
04-26-05, 10:11 AM
Nick, I never met your dad, but did enjoy his posts. He obviously loved the sport and his knowledge and enthusiasm were a plus to fans and the sport itself.

The best to you and your family.

Winston Wolfe
04-26-05, 10:29 AM
Nick,

I had the chance to meet you and your Dad back in the good old days of CART at Fontana... and he struck me as a really cool Dad, and definitely one that could also be a great friend as you get older.

I am blown away that he is gone, and am very sad for your loss....

Someone else said it earlier in the post, but it was always great when you got some props from 'bird, and made a decent contribution to the board. That is what he did....

Best to you and your family. Godspeed. :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
04-26-05, 10:35 AM
I met him once when I was working in the biz. Very good guy. I as others hear will miss him. Prayers.

Michaelhatesfans
04-26-05, 10:41 AM
It's going to be strange not having him around. Definitely a big part of the racing landscape, and hard to believe that he's gone. :(

All the best, Nick.

devilmaster
04-26-05, 10:44 AM

Damnit. I was lucky to have a chance to meet him and shake his hand once.

Prayers and condolences to you and your family Nick....

Steve

http://www.pccruisers.com/ale-monterey.jpg

l to r - Railbird, Lizzerd, Spicoli, Cam

JoeBob
04-26-05, 10:58 AM
Wow.

I'm at a loss for words. To put it simply, he was the best.

The racing will go on, the discussions will go on, but it won't be the same without him.

Drop the flag.

Padre
04-26-05, 11:02 AM
I'm very sad to hear this. Peace to the family.

Wheel-Nut
04-26-05, 11:02 AM
Drop the Flag

Ozarkian
04-26-05, 11:16 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. Although I didn't have the pleasure of meeting your father, I always looked forward to his knowledgeable and insightful posts. May the memories of the good times your shared provide comfort to you and your family.

DagoFast
04-26-05, 11:17 AM
Godspeed ,bird.

Chitowncartfreak
04-26-05, 11:19 AM
Very sorry to hear this news. My thoughts are with the family. :(

rabbit
04-26-05, 11:26 AM
I opened this thread with absolutely no clue what was about to hit me. I am stunned. What a loss.

Once, I think it was back on 7G, someone started a thread about who was the forum member you respected most. Without a doubt, for me, that man was Railbird. I met him on a couple occasions and, as previously stated, when he gave you a compliment on a post, it meant something. This forum was greatly richened by his presence. I can only imagine his impact on the people closest to him.

A couple years ago, when The Lima News did its racing season preview, I suggested the headline "Drop The Flag." I sent a screen shot of the cover to Railbird and got a real nice reply. I'm glad now that I saved a copy of the file.

http://raceweather.homestead.com/files/sports.jpg

Nick, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. John Gaughan will be greatly missed. :(

skidmarks
04-26-05, 11:35 AM
Sad news, bummed.

He was a cool guy.

racer2c
04-26-05, 11:42 AM
For once I'm at a loss of words. This is incredibly sad news and my thoughts and prayers go out to John's family.
I never had the pleasure of meeting John but always enjoyed his blunt, 'to the point' writings on the boards over the years. John could say more in one sentance than I could with pages of babble.

I will miss him greatly, he was the best.

Drop the flag.

Ferdman
04-26-05, 11:46 AM
My condolences to you and your family.

FTG
04-26-05, 11:51 AM
For once, we can all agree with everyone at Track Forum. Railbird will be missed.

mexican
04-26-05, 11:54 AM
wow... for sure one of the members (if not THE) I looked up to the most on the racing forums.

terrible news, my thoughts are with your family

G.
04-26-05, 12:06 PM
Damn.

Nick, Mrs. 'Bird, I am included in that club that wanted to meet the 'Bird, but never had a chance. This club is large, and was influenced by the man greatly.

I am sorry for your loss. Godspeed, 'Bird.

"Drop the Flag."

G.

Brickman
04-26-05, 12:13 PM
God Bless and Godspeed... Bird will be missed.

RichK
04-26-05, 12:16 PM
His wisdom and love of racing affected a lot of us. John always brought me back to the reality with this witty, concise posts. He will be missed!

Nick, thank you very much for letting us know.

Mike Kellner
04-26-05, 12:32 PM
I met him once, just to say hello and shake hands at Milwaukee. He seemed like a great guy. I loved his posts. He was one of the classiest and most knowledgeable posters here and at the other forums I frequented over the years.

My condolances go out to his family and friends. We are all poorer with his passing.

Mike

Napoleon
04-26-05, 12:52 PM
I don't know what to say, this was the last thread I checked out when I logged in today to check what was going on, and almost didn't click on it.

My deepest sympathies to Nick and his mom and 'birds wife Sue and the rest of your family. He was truely a first class person and one of the highlights of any race weekend was running into John, ussually with Nick, and shooting the s--t and having some beers with him. It truely made an enjoyable weekend even better. Reading his posts gave me as many laughs as watching a well written, quality sitcom. Your dad really had a gift I wish I had.

Nick, I hope you keep up with the racing and I hope we all get to see you in the future.

Racing Truth
04-26-05, 12:59 PM
:( Wow. Just wow. :( RIP 'bird. You will be missed.

oddlycalm
04-26-05, 01:07 PM
Nick, thanks for sharing your loss with us. It's hard to overstate how much 'bird will be missed. His wit and wisdom were always on target, and his passion for the sport came through loud and clear.

Drop the flag! :thumbup:

oc

Don Quixote
04-26-05, 01:10 PM
:( Very sad. To say he will be missed is a huge understatement.

RacinM3
04-26-05, 01:13 PM
Very sorry to hear. Condolences to you, Nick, and your family. :(

KLang
04-26-05, 01:17 PM
My condolences to 'birds family and friends. I will miss his contributions to our community.

Chief
04-26-05, 01:30 PM
It's with such sadness and a heavy heart that I acknowledge 'bird's passing.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Railbird, (who set me straight on many occassions) whose opinions and insight I will always respect and admire. RIP good friend. :(

I send my condolences and sympathies to his family and friends. Godspeed Railbird.

muskoka fan
04-26-05, 01:46 PM
very very sad to hear this...thoughts & condolences :(

FCYTravis
04-26-05, 02:00 PM
My God. Words can't express how I'm feeling right now. 'Bird was a race fan's race fan... :( :( :( I missed meeting him by just a few minutes last year... We'll meet in a better place.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Nick. Open-wheel forums just won't be the same without him.

Vaya con dios, Railbird.

Tim
04-26-05, 02:09 PM
RIP Bird. Always fun to chat with at the track.

B3RACER1a
04-26-05, 02:15 PM
My thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

TravelGal
04-26-05, 02:26 PM
Nick, when you get to read these posts, I hope you get even a small bit of how much we all will miss your dad. We can't even imagine the loss you all must be feeling. Love and prayers on to you, your mom, and your family as well.

In Long Beach this year, I decided I just *had* to meet Railbird. An internet icon. I looked for him everywhere I went. People kept saying, yeah, he's here but he's not HERE at the moment. How I wish I could have just once had the chance to thank him for his immeasurable presence here and on 7G.

I still consider myself a newbie, having only been a fan for "only" 10 years, so I'm still looking to gain insights and wisdom about the sport. Whenever I saw a post by Railbird, I knew THAT was one I could believe and learn from. RIP Railbird.

Drop the flag.

dando
04-26-05, 02:56 PM
Wow. I'm crushed. :cry: The place just ain't gonna be the same w/o 'bird's insight.

Condolences to your family, Nick.

RIP, 'bird. Drop the flag.

-Kevin

racermike
04-26-05, 03:02 PM
Godspeed Bird ... the forums, and this world, will never be the same without you!

I got to meet John while at Indy 500 in 2001, and it was a joy to talk with him about our mutual love for motorsports, and its history.

If there were a time that I would give up the racing forums for good, today would be the day, as it wont be the same without Bird posting his thoughts everyday.

He will truly be missed among the racing community, and was a true friend to everyone he had contact with.

Dr. Corkski
04-26-05, 03:10 PM

RIP 'Bird.

Skater_36
04-26-05, 03:23 PM
As many others have stated, this forum as well as several other spots on the internet will not be the same without his postings.

Sad day

FRANKY
04-26-05, 03:33 PM
Nick, when you get to read these posts, I hope you get even a small bit of how much we all will miss your dad. We can't even imagine the loss you all must be feeling. Love and prayers on to you, your mom, and your family as well.

In Long Beach this year, I decided I just *had* to meet Railbird. An internet icon. I looked for him everywhere I went. People kept saying, yeah, he's here but he's not HERE at the moment. How I wish I could have just once had the chance to thank him for his immeasurable presence here and on 7G.

I still consider myself a newbie, having only been a fan for "only" 10 years, so I'm still looking to gain insights and wisdom about the sport. Whenever I saw a post by Railbird, I knew THAT was one I could believe and learn from. RIP Railbird.

Drop the flag.

I'll just agree with your caring words of wisdom. He will be greatly missed.

Hard Driver
04-26-05, 03:49 PM
He will be missed by so many that never even got to meet him, including myself. One of the best fans racing will ever have and seemed like a genuinely great guy. :(

So sorry to hear. I will drink a beer in his honor at the next race I go to.

Lizzerd
04-26-05, 03:53 PM
Man, I am shocked. I considered John a friend of mine, and I will miss him terribly.

He always had a smile on his face, he made fun of, but was liked by, the lemmings, he forgot more about racing than many of us will ever know.

RIP Railbird.

TrueBrit
04-26-05, 04:01 PM
Wow!! I am gob-smacked... :eek:

My sincerest condolences....

He was a true race-fan and I shall miss his anecdotes....

Wally
04-26-05, 04:06 PM
Nick I am so sorry for your loss. Sad day....

nissan gtp
04-26-05, 04:51 PM
what terrible and shocking news

RIP John

rocket
04-26-05, 04:53 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss Nick.

John's family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

He was one of the good guys, I'm glad I had the chance to meet him on several occasions.

trish
04-26-05, 05:48 PM
To all who knew Railbird,

My dad, John Gaughan, (Railbird) passed away this morning of a heartattack. He went in his sleep. Please keep my mom in your prayers.

'Bird loved his family, racing, and his dogs and would not want us to be sad but rather go to the next race and drink a cold beer for him!

"Drop the flag"

Nick
Please except my condolences to you and your family. :(

Rocketdoc
04-26-05, 06:38 PM
Godspeed Railbird.

You will be missed.

Jag_Warrior
04-26-05, 06:40 PM
I'm shocked and saddened. I saw the other thread about Railbird memories and figured something was up - then clicked this one. :(

I never met him, but in the subculture of racing message boards, the gentleman was a respected legend of a fan.

My sincerest condolences, and I wish his family nothing but brighter days.

Twisty Bits
04-26-05, 06:56 PM
I'll never forget Railbird, he was one of my first internet race pals. A race weekend was never complete without a chat with Railbird. It's gonna be very difficult to stop looking for him on race weekends. I know he'll be there. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family. Truly a class act.

TKGAngel
04-26-05, 06:58 PM
Wow. My thoughts and prayers go out to Railbird and his family.

Anteater
04-26-05, 07:08 PM
Stunned and saddened to hear the news--my thoughts and prayers are with Nick and Sue. :(

Linda
04-26-05, 07:12 PM
Nick so sorry about your news.
As you know your Dad loved racing but he also was a good Dad and husband.
He will be missed and remembered in my prayers as will your Mom and you.
Take Care again sorry to hear this.
Linda

Robstar
04-26-05, 07:32 PM
RIP 'Bird...

DjDrOmusic
04-26-05, 07:38 PM
WOW, I just found out, I met 'bird at the very first WD gathering, and was taken by his kindness and friendliness. My families prayers are with you and your Mom. :(

Ankf00
04-26-05, 07:55 PM
this was quite the shocker at 5 in the morn on the way to work, there's a fair amount of bluehairs around here I've been looking forward to meeting in the next couple of years as I get my **** together and start heading to more races, 'bird was definitely one of them. in complete contrast to myself, he knew what he was talking about. and again, in complete contrast to myself, he didn't ramble and rant, he could sum up his point and end any argument or discussion with just a single line... :(

Ankf00
04-26-05, 07:58 PM
http://www.pccruisers.com/ale-monterey.jpg

l to r - Railbird, Lizzerd, Spicoli, Cam

what I always loved about that pic other than 4 crotchety old men ;) he's sippin on high life :)

Hardpoint
04-26-05, 08:06 PM
Shocked.

Nick, I will never forget playing flip-cup with you and your dad at M-O a few years back. I only met him a handfull of times, but he certainly held my respect. He will be missed.

Sean O'Gorman
04-26-05, 08:16 PM
what I always loved about that pic other than 4 crotchety old men ;) he's sippin on high life :)

Heh, I remember making a joke about that when that pic was posted. His reply:

Let me know when you get old enough to sample the product then I'll explain to you the finer details of "old man beer" and duct tape.

:rofl:

L1P1
04-26-05, 08:19 PM
Ten years. It's hard to believe. Ten years I've been reading and posting on these boards. In all this time two people have really stood out as the premier posters, elder statesmen, and voices of reason (not to mention great humor). John (although I only now know his real name) was one of those.

Godspeed 'bird.

skaven
04-26-05, 08:27 PM
This is about the worst possible news I could ever find on this forum. Railbird was a great thinker who knew his racing and could communicate his knowledge to the rest of us... his posts had a clarity that helped explain many things.

Nick, we share your pain, he was like a father to many of us.

Rogue Leader
04-26-05, 08:41 PM
Wow... my condolences... the board will never be the same without him :(

RHR_Fan
04-26-05, 09:00 PM
My sympathies go to you and your family.

~Nicole

race chica
04-26-05, 09:23 PM
God speed, John. My thoughts go out to the family.

Night Train
04-26-05, 10:25 PM
Man, what can you say.....

Rest assured, I'll be hoistin' one for ya on the 22nd.

Godspeed, 'Bird.