PDA

View Full Version : Bad news race fans...

Pages : 1 [2]

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-26-05, 11:24 PM
Your family will be in my thoughts. He was a great person and a lot of fun.

He will be sadly missed.

Al Czervik
04-26-05, 11:34 PM
Nothing new to add. Prayers and condolences to friends and family.
'bird, you will be missed.

Suzuki
04-27-05, 12:38 AM
So sorry to hear about this, my prayers go out to his family, he sounded like a great guy.

RaceCat
04-27-05, 01:14 AM
I'm shocked to read this new. I'm so very sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you Nick, and your entire family, and especially your Mom. 'bird' will be missed so much here. His were the post I looked forward to reading. His were the posts that I always learned from.

I had the pleasure of meeting John in Fontana many years ago. He was so happy just being at the track. Now he can go to any race he wants to, and I'm sure he will.

RaceCat

BZSetshot
04-27-05, 12:07 PM
Don't post here often but definitely read everything that goes on. Even as a newbie to all this racing stuff, I can see that we have lost a great member. Wish I could have met him...

Thoughts and Prayers to you and your family Nick.

Andrew Longman
04-27-05, 12:12 PM
Years back, when I first found 7G, Railbird was perhaps the first person I took note of. I also remember he had some very nice things to say about my first post.

I always repected him and knew I was wrong when he said so.

Thoughts are with the family

Godspeed

Drop the flag

formulaben
04-27-05, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry I never had the chance to meet the 'ol Bird. He will be missed. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers...

ANAYA YATES
04-27-05, 01:46 PM
I was so suprised to see Railbird at Long Beach this year. Had no clue he was coming.....anD there he was, freinds et al, sitting right in front of me in Grandstand 19. How nice it was to see him one last time.

To the Gaughan family, I think John would have liked this:

"Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out laughing and shouting: “Holy Cow, what a ride!"

That's the way I look at life.

Sincerely,
ANAYA YATES

peelo
04-27-05, 03:05 PM
I remember when Railbird and Raceweekend (7G) came out here, ALL THE WAY FROM INDIANA, and it was just so cool that they were here. The other SoCal locals are posting that they met John at Fontana but I could've sworn I met him at LB in 2002 or 03, over at the WCFC meeting.

Over the years I kept saying to myself, I'm going back there, to M-O or RA, and I'm going to camp and play flipcup with those guys. And I never did.

Then when Winston (or was it Manic) told me Bird was here at LB again this year, I thought, "Oh wow, I should head over there and say hi!" But I was pulled in this direction and that, and then the weekend ended.

Now I live with regret. Dang, dang, dang.

May God's perfect, unconditional love give comfort and peace to you and your whole family, Nick.

Best,
Peelo (formerly Lovebug)

Audi_A4
04-27-05, 06:14 PM
RIP Railbird! Race On

Twisty Bits
04-27-05, 11:08 PM
I dug up a photo of my first encounter with Railbird. It was a 7G gathering in my home town, Windsor, 2001. We were at Don Cherry's and Ryan Hunter-Reay was there, Nicholas Minassian didn't show as he was fired that day.

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/7096/ssafe1zh.jpg

anait
04-28-05, 12:13 AM
Can we get a L-R roll call? :) 'bird on the left, RHR, familiar faces from previous photos...dm, you're not in there sans facial hair, are ya??

devilmaster
04-28-05, 12:15 AM
I dug up a photo of my first encounter with Railbird. It was a 7G gathering in my home town, Windsor, 2001. We were at Don Cherry's and Ryan Hunter-Reay was there, Nicholas Minassian didn't show as he was fired that day.

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/7096/ssafe1zh.jpg

Man, I miss Cherry's. We went there every Monday for wings for about 5 years.... knew all the staff and such. It went to a hell in a handbasket quick...

And nope, I am not in there. That was before I figgered out that forum thingy....

anait
04-28-05, 12:39 AM
Didn't think so. Checked your navy pics for comparison. :D

Napoleon
04-28-05, 07:12 AM
Today's Obit on John is a little more complete then yesterdays.

http://www2.indystar.com/cgi-bin/obituaries/index.php?action=show&id=40115

pkvracing12
04-29-05, 12:22 AM
never got to meet you bird but i enjoyed your post. RIP and fly free bird

ilferrari
04-29-05, 09:00 AM
Wow, I'm really sad to hear this. I never met Railbird but I have read his input for years on this and 7th gear forums and he was always a great contributor and race fan. His last post was on the F1 forum:

Congrats to JV, good to see the lad score a point but I believe his were still the slower laptimes on the team.

Alonso's performances have been great, at the start of the season I looked for the occasional spectacular flash while Fisi shaded him in the points with experience and racecraft. I was wrong, the way he responded Sunday to what would have to be pressure of the highest order in motorsports today was amazing.

Classy race fan. My sympathies to his family and close freinds.

meadors
04-29-05, 10:35 PM
I just found out. I am very sorry for your loss.

Paintergeek
04-29-05, 10:37 PM
John, I will not be attending the services as im just done with that for now. Those things tear me up for awhile, especially if its open casket. But I know that if there is such thing as life after death, Then you;ll still be checking these forums. So in leiu of attending, I simply say :

"it was cool meeting you at the 7G meetings. Had a good time, and when we share a smile and a glance at gas stations and such fromt time to time. I Always forgot your name those times, but I knew who you were, and you did I. Its time like these you regret losing touch with people. But Ill make an effort to hook up with the local indy crew the next time they plan a get together, and im sure we will all share a toast in your name. Drop the Flag, railbird. Drop the Flag. "

JoeBob
04-26-06, 03:07 PM
It hardly seems like a year ago...

:(

pfc_m_drake
04-26-06, 03:12 PM
No it doesn't. :(

Miss you, Railbird.

devilmaster
04-26-06, 03:22 PM
Ya know, I would have loved to hear his take on how this merger thing is going down....

Cam
04-26-06, 03:36 PM
Ya know, I would have loved to hear his take on how this merger thing is going down....

Yeah I am sure there would have been some pretty well thought out dialogue that would have pretty much shut up certain insider and igloo dwelling types. :cry:

Will lift a couple of cold ones in his honor tonight. :(

devilmaster
04-26-06, 03:50 PM
Will lift a couple of cold ones in his honor tonight. :(

Ditto.

dando
04-26-06, 04:22 PM
I had just looked this up last week when Bruce passed. :(

:raises beer:

Drop the flag!

-Kevin

Lizzerd
04-26-06, 05:17 PM

I'm sure he is keeping an eye on it.

I considered John a friend. We didn't speak day to day or even month to month, but we did meet several times "away from the track" that I will forever cherish.

This probabaly belongs in the chat/story thread: Road America, 2004, my tickets were at will call at Gate 4(?), turn 3. I get out of my truck, and what is the first thing I see? Railbird sitting in his golf cart, feet propped up on the dash, with a Miller in hand. I went over and said howdy before I even got my ticket. And his reply was typical... "heyyyy race fan!"

Stu
04-26-06, 05:51 PM
never expected this type of thread with the title "bad news race fans"

bad news indeed. :(

last year on one of the cleveland indians forums, we lost Rick, a friend who was one of the best fans any had known. very polite, very respectful, very knowledgable.

from what i have read from his posting and comments here, railbird was the same way.

the thread on the indians forum is still bumped with stories about Rick and what he would think about the Tribe today. Won't surprise me to see this thread go the same route.

cartman
04-27-06, 10:12 AM

Awful awful news indeed. Railbird will be very missed. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family Nick. Godspeed John.

Cam
04-27-06, 10:47 AM
I should have posted this (http://www2.indystar.com/cgi-bin/memoriams/index.php?action=show&id=231&category=memoriam) yesterday.