Napoleon
04-23-05, 09:22 AM
New Coke debuted.

Michaelhatesfans
04-23-05, 11:19 AM
Ye gods... I feel old.

pchall
04-23-05, 11:25 AM
I never even bought a can. FnewCoke like Tony G [the Nasal Septum Reconstruction Poster Child]. But then, when in need of a pop sugar fix, I looked for ginger ale or root beer. I'm an old fart since forever.

ps: why isn't Moxie™ in vending machines? :( And WTF is there a 'diet' Moxie™?

pps: this post could almost be a 'Railbird Challenge'... does Indiana have a similar product conforming to IRL specs? :p

link (http://www.mainegoodies.com/food/Moxie/index.htm)

RusH
04-23-05, 12:03 PM
Is it still around? because the "classic" bit is sure taking a long time to fade away!

Sean O'Gorman
04-23-05, 01:09 PM
How bad was New Coke anyway?

JoeBob
04-23-05, 01:12 PM
How bad was New Coke anyway?

It tasted almost identical to Pepsi.

RTKar
04-23-05, 01:14 PM

Hey, I'm a Pepsi guy. I don't remember it tasting like Pepsi.

JoeBob
04-23-05, 01:18 PM
Hey, I'm a Pepsi guy. I don't remember it tasting like Pepsi.

It was very similar. Here's an interesting article on the fiasco: http://www.ajc.com/news/content/business/0405/23bizcoke.html

nrc
04-23-05, 01:18 PM
Although "New Coke" is synonmous with "marketing disaster" the subsequent creation of "Coke Classic" revived the entire Coke brand which had pretty much gone flat (ahem).

Saw a story about the guy who came up with the "New Coke" idea. He says that Coke wanted him to revive the brand and the formula was the only thing they'd let him change. He plays coy on the question of whether it was all just a ploy to begin with. I think it was the world's second dumbest move followed by some dumb luck. We should have been so lucky.

RusH
04-23-05, 01:20 PM
But it definately lost it`s unique flavor, could have been RC cola for all we know.

one biggest marketing blunders of all time, wonder if the people who thought that up gave themselves a raise?

dando
04-23-05, 02:05 PM
Here's an article I found on FARK about New Coke and other marketing fiascos (CrystaL Pepsi, Miller Clear Beer...). Like the article title sez, "It seemed like a good idea @ the time."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7209828

-Kevin

Ankf00
04-23-05, 02:07 PM
I like crystal pepsi, F the haters :gomer:

and didn't Coke begin using fructose after they re-debuted "classic" ? I thought that was the impetus for the New Coke to those who believe in conspiracies

Sean O'Gorman
04-23-05, 02:15 PM
Here's an article I found on FARK about New Coke and other marketing fiascos (CrystaL Pepsi, Miller Clear Beer...). Like the article title sez, "It seemed like a good idea @ the time."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7209828

-Kevin

Miller Clear Beer? Didn't they just rename it to High Life Light? :laugh:

trish
04-23-05, 02:22 PM
I was 13. That stuff was disgusting! A can full of fizz.

Classic Apex
04-23-05, 02:23 PM
:Grosse Pointe Blank Mode on:

20 YEARS!!! 20!!! TWEEEEEENTY!!! 20 YEARS!!! 20!!!!!!

:Grosse Pointe Blank Mode off:

dando
04-23-05, 02:23 PM

And you prolly drink Zima, 2, ya dork. :gomer:

-Kevin

RusH
04-23-05, 02:37 PM
And you prolly drink Zima, 2, ya dork. :gomer:

-Kevin

and listens to Van Halen

Sean O'Gorman
04-23-05, 04:05 PM
http://www.culturefreak.com/images/MillerClearBeer.jpg

:saywhat:

oddlycalm
04-23-05, 04:35 PM
All just a marketing sideshow. Now if they had gone back to using natural flavors and cocaine just like they used in the early 20th century, that would have been real news.

oc

dando
04-23-05, 05:03 PM
All just a marketing sideshow. Now if they had gone back to using natural flavors and cocaine just like they used in the early 20th century, that would have been real news.

oc
Sideshow?!? :rolleyes: They took their flagship brand and #1 brand in the market and replaced it with a farked up replacement. :thumdown: T'was a colossal fark up that will be a case study in stupid marketing/business decisions for years to come.

-Kevin

WickerBill
04-23-05, 05:04 PM
...except that their market share rose considerably for a good chunk of time when they reintroduced the real Coke.

dando
04-23-05, 05:13 PM
...except that their market share rose considerably for a good chunk of time when they reintroduced the real Coke.
IMHO, a beneficial byproduct of KO's stupidity. Read the article I linked to in a previous post. This was NOT and intended consequence of introducing New Coke.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
04-23-05, 05:32 PM
From the sounds of it, it was a publicity stunt if you ask me. If it wasn't, I'd imagine they would've produced both varieties of Coke.

dando
04-23-05, 05:53 PM
From the sounds of it, it was a publicity stunt if you ask me. If it wasn't, I'd imagine they would've produced both varieties of Coke.
OK, grasshopper. Let's review:

The company, already two years into taste tests and research, was working with the secrecy of a military operation.

On July 11, Coca-Cola yanked New Coke from store shelves. “We did not understand the deep emotions of so many of our customers for Coca-Cola,” said company President Donald R. Keough.

Sam Craig, professor of marketing and international business at the Stern School of Business at New York University, pointed to what he and other industry observers have long considered a fatal mistake on Coca-Cola's part. “They didn't ask the critical question of Coke users: Do you want a new Coke? By failing to ask that critical question, they had to backpedal very quickly.”

A stunt would not likely involve years of research, nor would it take ~3 mos. to pull the stunt from the shelves. Remember, this was a replacement product, not a new brand/flavor like Coke w/lime.

Back to school, SOG....

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
04-23-05, 06:49 PM
How do you know they didn't make up that secret research? Do you know anyone who taste tested New Coke? Do you know anyone who worked at Coke?

Just because the president of a company says something doesn't mean its true. Hell, just look at Tony George.

Paintergeek
04-23-05, 07:02 PM
But it definately lost it`s unique flavor, could have been RC cola for all we know.

I will not tolerate RC bashing. I have always wondered why Crown and Coke became the 'big' drink combo instead of crown-n-crown. I mean, Crown Royal with Royal Crown, Or a RCCR, or who knows? The name possibilities are endless really. Like a 7&7, only browner...:)

Sean O'Gorman
04-23-05, 07:42 PM
I will not tolerate RC bashing. I have always wondered why Crown and Coke became the 'big' drink combo instead of crown-n-crown. I mean, Crown Royal with Royal Crown, Or a RCCR, or who knows? The name possibilities are endless really. Like a 7&7, only browner...:)

Maybe it is because no one outside of Indiana drinks RC?

Paintergeek
04-23-05, 08:03 PM

I really dont think RC is an indy based drink. I have left the state before you know!

dando
04-23-05, 08:11 PM
I really dont think RC is an indy based drink. I have left the state before you know!
It's available here in Ohiya, 2. Used to drink that and Orange Crush, or whatever was on sale in returnable bottles, while growing up in the 70s. Prolly a beverage primarily marketed in the midwest.

-Kevin

dando
04-23-05, 08:14 PM
How do you know they didn't make up that secret research? Do you know anyone who taste tested New Coke? Do you know anyone who worked at Coke?

Just because the president of a company says something doesn't mean its true. Hell, just look at Tony George.
I neglected to mention that the New Coke fiasco actually was used a case study while I was going to OSU in the 80s. There is far more info available out there about this not being a marketing ploy, but major fark up.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
04-23-05, 08:24 PM
I neglected to mention that the New Coke fiasco actually was used a case study while I was going to OSU in the 80s. There is far more info available out there about this not being a marketing ploy, but major fark up.

-Kevin

Sure, leave all that stuff out so I look like a moron! :p

Anteater
04-23-05, 09:38 PM
I remember New Coke; it was awful. Flat and boring.

dando
04-23-05, 10:08 PM
Sure, leave all that stuff out so I look like a moron! :p
I thought the article was self-explanatory.....forgot my audience included you and Ank. :p

Seriously, think about it....would you think it prudent to pull a 'marketing' stunt with a global brand like Coca~Cola?

-Kevin

Paintergeek
04-23-05, 10:23 PM
FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Napoleon
04-24-05, 08:10 AM

Actually they did, if I recall correctly, for a while. The new coke they marketed as Coke and the old Coke they marketed as Classic Coke.

In the 80's I recall a strike at bottlers in Ohio that led to RC being the replacement during the strike. Honestly I liked it better then Coke or Pepsi.

oddlycalm
04-24-05, 10:15 AM
Sideshow?!? :rolleyes: They took their flagship brand and #1 brand in the market and replaced it with a farked up replacement. :thumdown: T'was a colossal fark up that will be a case study in stupid marketing/business decisions for years to come. Sorry Kevin, guess I should have put a winkie after sideshow so it was clear my tongue was firmly in cheek. :laugh:

It's way hard for me to take the whole episode seriously. How do we make the case that it was a disaster when the stock price increased 35.5% during 1985 and went on to hit a new high in 1986 on huge volume, profits were at record levels and nobody in management or research got fired? Both Goizueta and Keough received huge bonuses that year and public praise from the BOD and compensation committee. After all, while there was a certain level of risk in making the change, it's not like they tossed out the old recipe. Reversing course was always only a decision away. When the panic buying of old coke and the comical hoarding ensued, with the attendent media saturation, it was more effective than any advertising campaign could have possibly been in focusing the public on this institution of brown sugar water, and when Coke Classic was brought back, sales took off like wildfire ending the erosion of Coke's market share, the very reason for all the research in the first place.

Looking back with 20yrs hindsight, it may have been a been a case of KO management falling down the stairs and landing on their feet, but it would have been the largest and most successful guerilla marketing strategy in the history of business had it all been done intentionally, which is precisely why there are large numbers of people that have always felt it was intentional. Some folks don't believe anyone could be that lucky. :D

oc

JohnHKart
04-25-05, 06:04 AM

I agree....one of the best examples of the old cliche "don't fix it if it isn't broke." I'm drinking right now Pepsi, and am a Pepsi guy all the way but coke is fine sometimes too, especially diet coke while dining out.

John

rosawendel
04-25-05, 08:02 AM

i remember snapple being introduced originally as clear sodas of different flavors.

RTKar
04-25-05, 08:21 AM

The "New Coke".....just wondering , did tg ever work for coke? ;)

WickerBill
04-25-05, 10:44 AM
No, he just used the family fortune on it.

Sorry, you set it up, I had to knock it down.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-25-05, 10:45 AM
Royal Crown is available here in Southern California at either the Pavilion or Target stores. I prefer that over Coke or Pepsi.

Turn7
04-25-05, 11:00 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...RC cola. Good stuff. It is stocked in the vending machine on the floor I work on.

When I get a soda, I get a RC.

Wheel-Nut
04-25-05, 11:07 AM
RC and a Moonpie!

Turn7
04-25-05, 11:12 AM
RC and a Moonpie!

Yup. Used to get them all the time when I was a kid. Bananna flavor, I didn't care for the chocolate ones.

http://www.moonpie.com/images/coke_pie.gif

eiregosod
04-25-05, 02:01 PM
Now if they had gone back to using natural flavors and cocaine just like they used in the early 20th century, that would have been real news.

oc

I wish they'd do that :D

I remember cherry coke, it tasted the same though one had to take a big gulp of the stuff to taste the cherry :saywhat:

The worst Coke marketing disaster, was re-bottling tap water , adding something to make it fizzy and selling it as sparkling spring water.

RacinM3
04-25-05, 05:03 PM
lol...those "New Coke" guys wouldn't have even made it past week 2 on "The Apprentice".....

anait
04-25-05, 05:30 PM
Speaking of clear - I picked up three pkgs of Invisible Kool-Aid last week, watermelon-kiwi flavour. I don't care how gimmicky it is, I think it's a great way to reduce the number of stained clothes from the inevitable spills!! :D

trish
04-25-05, 05:31 PM
Was new coke Cherry Coke or did that come later?

JoeBob
04-25-05, 05:58 PM
Wyler's has had a clear Watermelon kool-aid type beverage for years. The best part of it was when somebody would mistake it for water.

Spicoli
04-25-05, 06:00 PM
damn you people must be bored.

eiregosod
04-25-05, 07:13 PM
Speaking of clear - I picked up three pkgs of Invisible Kool-Aid last week, watermelon-kiwi flavour. I don't care how gimmicky it is, I think it's a great way to reduce the number of stained clothes from the inevitable spills!! :D

makes the cyanide that bit easier to see ;)