PDA

View Full Version : Check out this wicked hail we got today!

Paintergeek
04-22-05, 09:32 PM
About 4:30 today here in Greenwood, IN, We got POUNDED by hail for about 10 minutes, and about 4 of it was these BIG mutha's! These were actually semi-melted already (as seen by my wet hand) They were just under golf-ball sized as they fell, and they fell HARD! Loud as hell on the house, and watchin them bounce of my car. LuckilyMy car doesnt have any damage (was 80% under a car port)< but some neighbors Neon got smoked. The yard and streets were COVERED in them, like someone opened a huge box of styrofoam balls. Also took some video of it, which I havent watched yet, but is probably amazingly loud. Now that its done and nothing was damaged, its really cool to think of!

http://www.fordfalcons.com/other/images3/hail1.jpg

nrc
04-22-05, 09:39 PM
Ouch. We had a watch this morning that warned of the possibility of large hail. I was cringing at the thought of the RX8 getting pelted. Fortunately nothing made it this far.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-22-05, 10:32 PM
Any tornadoes about? Hail sometimes precede them.

WickerBill
04-22-05, 11:01 PM
The hail was nuts here as well (maybe 5 minutes N of Greenwood). During the hardest part of it, the hail was hitting the grass and bouncing a good 12-14 inches back up. Looked like it was coming from the sky and the earth.

TravelGal
04-23-05, 01:57 AM
That really is wicked. I remember hearing reports of gigantic hail in Australia a few years ago. A few months later I was in Sydney and saw that most of the cars had dented tops and some still had cracked windshields. Glad you survived better that that!

Spicoli
04-23-05, 08:08 AM
thanks for blogging

:gomer:

Paintergeek
04-23-05, 08:28 AM
Yeah, It was doing the 'bounce up' here too. The puddles (which was essentially the whole street/yard) was splashing up so much it looked like the streets were boiling. I just sat and watched it nail my car and was like "great, the first time i my life I have a car I care about (bought 5 months ago) and this happens". Luckily, 2 of my 3 vintage steel were in a garage, the third is at work, and i havent seen it yet (did speedway get hit?). Either way, it was insane. Biggest I had ever seen was a potato sized chunk, but it was only 2 of those among milions of pea-sized.

There were tornado warnings, but no major touchdowns that im aware of. Somehow, We didnt even lose power.

rabbit
04-23-05, 09:34 AM
We're supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. :saywhat::thumdown:

dando
04-23-05, 11:00 AM
We're supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. :saywhat::thumdown:
1-2" in central Ohiya (or Florida of the north as it was referred to on FARK this week :gomer: ). Last night one of the wx geeks on TeeVee forecasted 6-12" up by y'all. In any case, this is as l8 as I can remember an accumulating snow.

-Kevin

pchall
04-23-05, 11:15 AM
That makes me remember one of the summers I spent taking care of friends pets and house just south of Liberty, IN. In addition to the green skies and tornadoes, really big hail was almost always a party feature event. Good thing I always opened the disused barns and urged folks to park there when the weather was going to be nasty. Of course, there was Wally who left his Supra out a couple of times and had a tree limb drop on it both times.

ps: I suppose it was a really stupid thing to have parties where while grilling and drinking the feature event was watching the tornadoes cruise across the lower land a few miles away.

pps: grad school was fun! :)

Dvdb
04-23-05, 01:48 PM
I was wondering what would take one to Liberty, Indiana. Used to ride out there from MU during summer school sessions. Not much going on out there other than twister watching.