PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Paul Tracy 1/18 die cast

cameraman
04-22-05, 07:14 PM
Is this a new model?

It is the 2003 Australian Grand Prix paint job with all the signatures.

Is it a Lola?

Link to Champ Car Store (http://www.speedgear.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=3713&category=0&SMID=14&SID=3&SCID=207&CID=160)

RichK
04-22-05, 07:21 PM

Sean O'Gorman
04-22-05, 07:31 PM
Looks like another Reynard.

theunions
04-22-05, 10:07 PM
It most certainly is, and it actually came out right around the time the 1:1 scale non-Reynard was on track. Unlike the generic Forsythe speedway Lolas Action made earlier in the year, there is no Carp version.

cameraman
04-23-05, 02:44 AM
Okay explain these 1:18 models to me.

http://homepage.mac.com/datkinso/.Pictures/tracy speed.jpg
This is sold as a 2003 Paul Tracy.
Is that the speedway set up for the Fontana race that never happened?
Did Tracy ever drive with the red leaf on the car???
Is that a Lola or a Reynard? I can't tell from that tiny picture.

http://homepage.mac.com/datkinso/.Pictures/Tracy lap.jpg
Also marketed as Paul Tracy's 2003 car but in reality it is a 2002 Reynard???

http://homepage.mac.com/datkinso/.Pictures/Bourdais.jpg
This is the exact same Reynard as above with a different paint job???

:saywhat:

Dr. Corkski
04-23-05, 04:13 AM
As explained in the other thread already: There never was a 2002-spec Lola mould ever made. The only 2002-spec Lolas are conversions of existing die-casts of the 2001 Lola mould. To be honest it's pretty not to notice that they haven't made any 2002-spec moulds.

There simply isn't enough of a market for Action to justify making a new mould. The only reason these 2000/2001-spec moulds with the newer liveries exist is because companies like Toronto Motorsports and Speedgear commissioned them.

The Tracy 2003 car with the maple leaf on the sidepod is the 2001-spec small speedway Lola mould (same one as the Kenny Brack shell car) with the the livery that was rumored to be used at Fontucky. That car was released along with the Carpentier and Fernandez versions.

The Tracy 2003 lastlap.ca car is the 2000-spec Reynard (same one as the da Matta Pioneer and Franchitti Team Green showcars). As Earl mentioned there was no Carpentier version of this car. The 2004 Bourdais McD car is from the same exact mould.

So if you want an accurate diecast of a car 2002 and after, you have to either convert one yourself or pay someone to do the work for you.

chop456
04-23-05, 05:28 AM
Mould?

What are you, Canehdian?

Dr. Corkski
04-23-05, 06:18 AM
Mould?

What are you, Canehdian?Just gettin prepared for them Iowa winters. :D

Paintergeek
04-23-05, 08:37 AM
Just gettin prepared for them Iowa winters. :D

Ive always spelled it mould, just like cars have mouldings. Thats how its spelled in auto catalogs. Mold is gross, Mould isnt :)

RTKar
04-23-05, 09:28 AM
Mould?

What are you, Canehdian?

Bob Mould....is he Canadian?

By the way, Reynard or Lola...who cares, either way it's nice to have some recent diecast. Picked up the Bourdais one a couple weeks ago...very slick...it has a little Lola sticker on the front....bought the Tracy issue before that.... Me thinks you folks are too fussy ;)

theunions
04-23-05, 02:27 PM

They did run that basic paint scheme (I can't tell if "It's Your World" is on the rear wing or not) at Brands and Lausitz, but unfortunately CART mandated road course wings for the latter.

The really screwed up thing with that diecast is that it (and the LastLap.ca non-Lola) both come with O.Z. wheels, even though Forsythe has used BBS forever, and it's not like Action didn't have a BBS mold available...

theunions
04-23-05, 02:29 PM
By the way, Reynard or Lola...who cares...me thinks you folks are too fussy ;)

Trust me, I care, and I am EXTREMELY fussy.

I'm still ticked off nobody's modeled a Lola in 1/25 scale since I was in high school.

Sean O'Gorman
04-23-05, 03:58 PM
Trust me, I care, and I am EXTREMELY fussy.

I'm still ticked off nobody's modeled a Lola in 1/25 scale since I was in high school.

Whoa, I thought you were like 50 or something. :saywhat:

theunions
04-23-05, 04:26 PM
Whoa, I thought you were like 50 or something. :saywhat:

In terms of calendar years, nowhere close, but these days I often physically and otherwise feel much older than 50... :cry:

My college years were spent trying to kitbash the AMT T-8800's into T-9000's and beyond, using sheet styrene and little else, and hand-drawing all my non-stock, non-aftermarket decals with a technical pen...with mixed results.

cameraman
04-23-05, 07:34 PM
I just have issues with ad copy like this:

THIS IS AN EXACT REPLICA OF THE CAR DRIVEN BY PAUL TRACY AT THE 2003 AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX. CAR FEATURES A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO THE FANS LOGO AND PAINT SCHEME. THIS IS ALSO THE CAR THAT PAUL CLINCHED THE TITLE WITH.

Exact replica?? It isn't even the right builder muchless the right year.

:flame:

Warlock!
04-23-05, 08:15 PM
I just have issues with ad copy like this:

THIS IS AN EXACT REPLICA OF THE CAR DRIVEN BY PAUL TRACY AT THE 2003 AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX. CAR FEATURES A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO THE FANS LOGO AND PAINT SCHEME. THIS IS ALSO THE CAR THAT PAUL CLINCHED THE TITLE WITH.
Yup... that's what got me. They had no pics of the car right before it was released, and they came out with that advertisement. I jumped on it thinking it was gonna be an '03 Lola. When it showed up I was pretty f****in pissed.

It was damn sharp tho, so I kept it. Speedgear got some hate mail from me.

coolhand
04-23-05, 08:24 PM

Is that a Lola or a Reynard? I can't tell from that tiny picture.

It looks like a lola nose with a reynard engine cover and i dont reconize those side pods from anything in recent years. :saywhat:

theunions
04-23-05, 11:45 PM
Speedgear got some hate mail from me.

Did they respond?

Customer service has been pretty good from my experience, but I've only had to complain about poorly packed shipments that arrived smashed, not something that was simply not made as advertised.