PDA

View Full Version : Teen suspected of arranging car theft

spinner26
04-21-05, 03:54 PM
First off what is a 17 yr old doing with an M3? :rolleyes:

The teen allegedly worked out a deal with accomplices to steal his white 2002 BMW M3. :shakehead :saywhat:

He was arrested at his workplace Tuesday night, Chiu said. :rofl:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002248139_bmw21e.html

extramundane
04-21-05, 04:18 PM

One of the kids at the private school where I work drives a brand new 745i. Not that I'm bitter.

Don Quixote
04-21-05, 04:23 PM
The kid says he wanted to collect insurance money, to upgrade to a more expensive car. Question: would the insurance company pay him more than he could get selling it to a third party? Also, this implies that he, a 17 year old, owned the M3 free and clear. No drug money there, I'm sure. :saywhat:

Paintergeek
04-22-05, 09:44 PM
I dont want to sound like an old fogey who blames things on Videos and Music, But today, Rap music and rap videos make it seem like everyone has a nice, new, expensive car that has also been painted, tv's and nav added, big rims, big stereo etc. They also have a bigger white-youth following than anything. So it seems like 17 year old kids think a 2002 beamer is 'old' now, cause it isnt a 2004/5 escalade like X-zibit.

Back in the 70's, it was all cadillac. Now, it has to be rolls royces, beamers, hummers, and the BIG money caddy's like escalades. Seems like most people under 21 or so would rather live at home with mom and dad and spend every cent on their car. Call me crazy, but at 17, All I wanted to do was move out. (even thought my home set-up wasnt that bad). But I moved out with nothing but my 66 falcon (this was in 94 when I was 19) which wasnt even running. I lived in one bedroom of a friends trailer for $50 a month, but it was OUT of the parents house. Different strokes I suppose.......

The kid says he wanted to collect insurance money, to upgrade to a more expensive car. Question: would the insurance company pay him more than he could get selling it to a third party? Also, this implies that he, a 17 year old, owned the M3 free and clear. No drug money there, I'm sure. :saywhat:

Michaelhatesfans
04-23-05, 12:30 AM
I dont want to sound like an old fogey who blames things on Videos and Music, But today, Rap music and rap videos make it seem like everyone has a nice, new, expensive car that has also been painted...
Well, to be fair, I thought that everyone under twenty had powerful, expensive, heavily modified cars when I saw American Graffitti. :cool:

Paintergeek
04-23-05, 08:33 AM
Well, to be fair, I thought that everyone under twenty had powerful, expensive, heavily modified cars when I saw American Graffitti. :cool:

Point taken.....I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same :) I know videos have always had girlsd and cars, but 98% of video today have TONS of cars, all half mil cars +. Ah well, What do I care. Im 30 and uncool anyway.....Ill stick with my fleet of wagons.

nrc
04-23-05, 12:41 PM
If anything American Graffiti illustrates how things have changed. I don't recall a film about a bunch of kids who's mom and dad bought them a brand new Cadillac. The nice cars were older models that someone put a lot of work into. In those days if you were driving a new car it was almost certainly your parents'.

These days our culture is afflicted with affluenza. We're jonesin' for that next hit of materialism and the self-worth we think comes with it. Two working parents run themselves ragged so they can they can keep up with the Jones. Then they give their kids all this "stuff" so that they don't understand the value of work. But at least it soothes the guilt of being an absentee parent.

Now that I think of it, maybe we shouldn't make so much fun of the ricers. At least a lot of them have bought cheap cars and put time and effort into them. That beats bugging mommy and daddy to buy you a Lexus.

oddlycalm
04-23-05, 04:49 PM
Now that I think of it, maybe we shouldn't make so much fun of the ricers. At least a lot of them have bought cheap cars and put time and effort into them. That beats bugging mommy and daddy to buy you a Lexus. Yup, and that's why serious marketing people are so fixated on the imort tuner crowd. It represents a viable market now and a better one later while the kids waiting for someone to do it for them represent a fantasy now and potential losers later. Kids that haven't woken up to the competitive realities of the global economy by the time they are driving probably don't stand much of a chance. It used to be that a college degree pretty much guaranteed you a job, but not anymore.

oc

Wabbit
04-25-05, 12:48 PM

The teen allegedly worked out a deal with accomplices to steal his white 2002 BMW M3. :shakehead :saywhat:

He was arrested at his workplace Tuesday night, Chiu said. :rofl:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002248139_bmw21e.html

Probably the brat kid of some MSFT millionaire. Another more money than brains story.