PDA

View Full Version : Brute Cosworth power: 20k revs

The Doctor
04-21-05, 01:06 PM
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14635.html

Now that's impressive. :thumbup:

Cosworth Racing says that it regularly runs its 2,4-litre V8 development engine for next year at 20,000rpm, while the current V10 is running to 19,000rpm. While this does not necessarily mean that the new engines will produce more horsepower than the current 3-litre V10s it will mean that power outputs will not be anywhere near as small as the regulations are designed to make them.

In part this is due to the fact that the crankshaft of the new engines are shorter than those being used at the moment and that means that they have less problems with torsional twisting.

The cost of development of the new 2.4-litre V8s has been huge.

chop456
04-21-05, 01:18 PM
"The cost of development of the new 2.4-litre V8s has been huge."

Impossible. :rolleyes:

pchall
04-21-05, 03:06 PM
So much for Max's and Bernie's desire for some cost containment.

BTW, what if the plan to help amortize the development costs of this unit includes a smaller displacement version with a turbo on it? ;)

Al Czervik
04-21-05, 04:58 PM
20k rpm on a V-8 = each spark plug (assuming one per cylinder) is firing almost 21 times per second. :jawdrop:

Spicoli
04-21-05, 05:29 PM
20k rpm on a V-8 = each spark plug (assuming one per cylinder) is firing almost 21 times per second. :jawdrop:

No **** mang.

You all see that video of the Arrows car on the stand about blowing? Wonder what the revs were on that thing once the pipes turned orange glow.

:wow:

eiregosod
04-21-05, 07:33 PM
each cylinder is the same size in the V10 and v8 configuration.

Mike Kellner
04-21-05, 07:55 PM
As was said upthread, a V8 has a shorter crank, which means it is more robust and can take more revs. There will also be 20% less friction, and a smaller, lighter engine. So, total power may go down, but the overall performance of a new car engineered around the new motor may be the same, or even higher.

In other words, one more slowdown that didn't.

I am of the opinion that cubic money is what makes a car go fast, and with 25% more money to spend on each cylinder, the cars will be just as fast. The only way to slow down F1 is to reduce the amount of money they spend on the cars. How to do that? I have no idea. It didn't work in baseball.

mk

oddlycalm
04-23-05, 04:08 PM
In other words, one more slowdown that didn't. As well as yet another brilliant cost containment effort. I've always wondered how rule making bodies can talk about radical equipment changes and cost containment in the same breath without someone just standing up and calling them out for their BS and fantasy.

oc

stroker
04-26-05, 10:34 PM
As was said upthread, a V8 has a shorter crank, which means it is more robust and can take more revs. There will also be 20% less friction, and a smaller, lighter engine. So, total power may go down, but the overall performance of a new car engineered around the new motor may be the same, or even higher.

I am of the opinion that cubic money is what makes a car go fast, and with 25% more money to spend on each cylinder, the cars will be just as fast. The only way to slow down F1 is to reduce the amount of money they spend on the cars. How to do that? I have no idea. It didn't work in baseball.

mk

Use a $100,000 claim rule and open the series up to privateers. That'll bring the frikkin price down.

:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
04-26-05, 10:40 PM
Use a $100,000 claim rule and open the series up to privateers. That'll bring the frikkin price down.

:thumbup: Ya, but then a two liter Pinto might win a GP.

stroker
04-27-05, 11:35 AM
Ya, but then a two liter Pinto might win a GP.

Paint it red and put a prancing pony on it. Half the fans won't know the difference.

Dirty Sanchez
04-29-05, 10:37 AM

mkspec tire is the answer, imo.

I don't get the engine formula change at all (from a safety perspective)... but I still think it will be cool to see who builds the best unit (still very "F1")

pchall
05-02-05, 10:14 PM
Paint it red and put a prancing pony on it. Half the fans won't know the difference.

That would make a cool Ferrari Grand Sham entry. :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
05-03-05, 10:17 AM
Minardi to continue with Cosworth

Minardi say they have been impressed with the new Cosworth
Minardi will continue using Cosworth engines in Formula One after signing an extension to their contract for 2006, with an option for 2007.

Minardi agreed the deal after being impressed by Cosworth's new engine when they ran it for the first time at the San Marino Grand Prix last month.

It means Minardi will continue to use a three-litre V10 engine next year while the sport switches to 2.4-litre V8s.

The larger engines are to be limited so they do not outperform the new ones.

Minardi owner Paul Stoddart said: "We can't praise highly enough the engine's power, driveability and reliability.

"In terms of engine supply, this is definitely the right way for us to go."

Stoddart's decision represents a boost for Cosworth, which was hit by Red Bull's announcement in San Marino that they were ditching the British company for a new deal with Ferrari in 2006.

Stoddart said he had no doubts about demonstrating "our belief in Cosworth by entering into this contractual arrangement at an early stage of the new season".

Cosworth managing director Tim Routsis said: "It is pleasing for our company, which is now an independent engine manufacturer, to continue to support one of the last true independent teams on the Formula One grid."

pchall
05-03-05, 12:55 PM
Cosworth still needs a decent team to run the 2.4l V8. They gain nothing but a bit of cash flow with Minardi and the rev-limited V10 deal.

ps: Stoddart et al are idiots for building a new chassis for the V10 in 2005. They should have limped along with the old crap this season before building new crap for 2006.

ferrarigod
05-05-05, 01:56 PM
Wait wait wait. I thought new, out of the blue rules, decreased the cost of competition.

Well color me confused

STUPID FIA :thumdown:

BAN MAX :thumbup:

Awesome Kosworth :)

ferrarigod
05-07-05, 07:19 PM
Today the Speed boys commented on the BAR running up to 22000. Wow. It has more in common with a motorbike. Geez. Anywho, didn't see that posted, imagine what Ferrari and BMW are doing if Kozzy and Fonda are over 20 grand. :eek: