PDA

View Full Version : MIPS Gives us Something to Hang Around For after F1 Quals

Chitowncartfreak
04-20-05, 01:44 PM
The Liberty Challenge!!

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/16346/

The Liberty Challenge will take place on Saturday, June 18 at 5:45 p.m. EDT as part of the United States Grand Prix weekend.

“We couldn’t be happier,” said Roger Bailey, executive director of the Menards Infiniti Pro Series. “We expect an enthusiastic crowd at the track that afternoon for Formula 1 qualifying, and we look forward to putting on a good show for them.”

Here's a news flash - there won't be anyone left at the Speedway at 5:45 PM on Saturday of F1 weekend. And those who remain will probably not be alert.

RichK
04-20-05, 01:56 PM
I'm sure the F1 bosses will be in the hot pits with contracts ready to sign.

Wheel-Nut
04-20-05, 02:04 PM
Do they really want to "showcase" the IPS cars after F1 qualifying?

Spicoli
04-20-05, 02:56 PM
slippy slippy, drunk drunk, time go home catch plane.

:gomer:

SteveH
04-20-05, 03:13 PM
We expect an enthusiastic crowd

More like a knowledgable crowd, which should be of some concern to him. About the best he could wish for is a drunk crowd, one without chicken buckets.

CHAMPCARS4EVER
04-20-05, 03:45 PM
MIPS at F1 weekend? Way to ruin a perfectly good weekend of racing.

I'll be running for the exit after the Supercup race.

Napoleon
04-20-05, 04:56 PM
About the best he could wish for is a drunk crowd, one without chicken buckets.

But what about all the empty wine glasses and cutting boards for cheese that are sure to end up on the track.

RichK
04-20-05, 05:13 PM
But what about all the empty wine glasses and cutting boards for cheese that are sure to end up on the track.

:laugh:

oddlycalm
04-20-05, 06:41 PM
An IPS race during an F1 weekend is illustrates just how disconnected from reality the IMS management is. :shakehead

If I made similar decisions, I would build beautiful custom home with 5 elaborate bathrooms, then install an outhouse in the front yard and wave to the neighbors every morning when using it. :gomer:

oc

Jervis Tetch 1
04-20-05, 07:00 PM
If anything Bernie and company should be getting a very good laugh. :laugh:

I know I will :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
04-20-05, 07:50 PM
"And Andretti is slowing on the front stretch?" :rofl:

Railbird
04-20-05, 08:42 PM
It's Roger freakin' Bailey, WTF did you expect?

Will Marco get the Special Ed package?

DagoFast
04-20-05, 09:04 PM
Will Marco get the Special Ed package?

Short of toeknee tucking him in at night, with a kiss on the forehead, yep.

Do you think Ron Dennis will be begging to sign him up?

Wheel-Nut
04-21-05, 09:47 AM
Short of toeknee tucking him in at night, with a kiss on the forehead, yep.

Do you think Ron Dennis will be begging to sign him up?

If Marco is smart he will skip the earl and take a Minardi seat.

Car-B-Q
04-21-05, 10:25 AM
F1 is running clockwise on the road course (assume the FBMW and Porsche are also) and MIPS is running CCW on the oval (according to the 40 laps/100 mile distance listed).

According to this article (http://www.usgpindy.com/news/story.php?story_id=1934), there's a lot of prep to convert from one to the other.

[quote]
Thursday, September 18, 2003
A common question posed to Indianapolis Motor Speedway employees is, “What do you do when there aren’t events taking place at the track?”

The truth be told, a great deal of planning and preparation goes into playing host to three of the world’s largest sporting events. When one race is over, it’s time to not only think about the next event but think about next year, too.

For the Speedway’s Facilities department, preparation for the next event never ceases.

While the task of maintaining the Speedway is a year-round process, preparing the facility for the United States Grand Prix represents the greatest challenge of the year for the Speedway’s Facilities personnel.

Converting the Indianapolis Motor Speedway from its historic configuration as a 2.5-mile oval to a 2.605-mile road course seems like a relatively simple task, given that both tracks are, essentially, in place 365 days per year. Just move a couple barriers to open one track and close the other, and you’re ready to go, right?

Hardly.

Thanks to tasks that range from moving 7.5-ton barriers to placing proper menu signage in the media center, preparations for the United States Grand Prix are detailed and daunting.

Consider the following tasks:

At the outset of road course preparation, crews must remove the temporary walls and catch fencing on the inside of the oval’s Turn 2 and Turn 4, where the road course enters and exits the oval portion of the track, respectively. Heavy machinery is required to move the walls as each section weighs 15,000 pounds.
Tire barriers are installed along the road course Turn 12, where it enters the IMS oval, and signboards and safety barriers are installed at road course Turn 1.
Several roads in the infield must be closed with concrete barriers and tire barriers to create the infield backstretch of the road course, and 13-foot tall catch fencing must be erected.
The Speedway’s oval-track flag stand is removed, and the overhead gantry that holds the starting lights 20 feet over the track surface is erected at the start/finish line.
To bring the outside pit wall up to Formula One standards, a heavy, 10-inch tall steel wall is erected on top of the existing concrete wall for the entire distance of pit lane.
More than 1,000 feet of catch fencing must be removed from along the inside of the oval pit lane, while another 1,000 feet of fencing must be added along the outside of the Formula One pit lane to shield the teams from any potential accidents and debris along the main straightaway.
[b]The striping on the road course is different than the oval because the traffic is going a different direction, so crews have to black out the striping on the oval and install new striping that would indicate the alignment of the road course.[/b
The starting grid for the Formula One cars must be repainted.
More than 2,000 feet of fencing is put in place to close off the Paddock Club, television compound and other secure areas.
All of the pit-side Gasoline Alley suites and the Legends Row building – located directly behind the suites – must be emptied so Formula One teams can move in their equipment.
Temporary signage, specified by Formula One to keep the paddock in similar form to all other events around the world, must be erected.[quote]

pchall
04-21-05, 10:25 AM
If Marco is smart he will skip the earl and take a Minardi seat.

Mikey the Whiner would never shell out US$8 mil of his hard earned Honda bucks to buy his kid a Minardi season.

Wheel-Nut
04-21-05, 10:30 AM
^^^ What if Grandpa kicked in a few million $$? Or maybe kicked the whiner son in the ssa!!?

FCYTravis
04-21-05, 01:41 PM
Car-B-Q, MIPS will run the road course with Formula One. 25 laps, 65 miles or about 100 kilometers.

DaveL
04-21-05, 07:57 PM
MIPS on the road course? I can see it now, Jon Herb's qualifying time listed as "By Tuesday".

rabbit
04-21-05, 09:30 PM
MIPS on the road course? I can see it now, Jon Herb's qualifying time listed as "By Tuesday".
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Chitowncartfreak
04-22-05, 12:17 AM

Classic!!! :thumbup:

cameraman
04-22-05, 01:32 AM
Car-B-Q, MIPS will run the road course with Formula One. 25 laps, 65 miles or about 100 kilometers.

Okay, the folks in the stands watch the F1 race. A few stay around for the MIPS race. They get to watch a quarter speed version of the F1 race they just watched??? They are going to compare & contrast F1 and MIPS races? That's silly.

Ankf00
04-22-05, 02:03 AM

got any Camembert, baguettes and Bourdeax? :)

Jervis Tetch 1
04-22-05, 09:58 AM
Post of the year so far. :thumbup:

Spicoli
04-22-05, 10:55 AM
I'm gonna be sure not to pace myself during the F1 race so I can catch the "Cars & Stars of MIPS"

:gomer: :gomer: x 10000000.

trauma1
04-22-05, 11:25 AM
i wonder if more than 6 pos ips cars even finish the race :rofl:

extramundane
04-22-05, 12:38 PM
i wonder if more than 6 pos ips cars even finish the race :rofl:

For that matter, will more than 6 cars start?

trauma1
04-22-05, 12:43 PM
for that matter who really gives a **** :rofl: bet that marco gets the call :D