PDA

View Full Version : Chris Pook on WindTunnel - Tonite

devilmaster
02-28-03, 08:37 PM
Tonight, Chris Pook is the special guest on Dave Despain's wind tunnel, a live call in/email talk show.

It starts at 11:30 Eastern tonight.

I'm planning to watch and be in chat. You're all free to join me. Really ya are. You have my permission. Just tell your husband/wives and livers to hold off for a little bit, you have something to do. Its ok. Hey, if I can get MightySurfClan to apologise on this board, anything is possible. ;)

See ya tonite, eh!

Steve

Railbird
02-28-03, 09:16 PM
thanks for the heads up

setting my VCR as we speak. Despain is the best

lateralus42
02-28-03, 11:49 PM
I sent in a couple of questions, but I think the NASCAR quals might delay the program.

DaveL
03-01-03, 02:18 AM
It was a radio show about nothing. I've seen "Seinfeld" episodes that were about something than this. Because CART is a public company, Pook can't talk about anything in any detail and didn't. If you wanted the answer to a question about CART and its future, you weren't going to get on this porgram.

For those who missed it, I can assure that you didn't miss a thing. Don't worry about it.

Lizzerd
03-01-03, 12:58 PM
He said one thing that really bugged me. When a caller asked him if Road America was on the chopping block, he said something along the lines that CART has some issues with the track and he hopes that CART will be racing at RA this year. I hope he meant to say next year.

Napoleon
03-01-03, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
He said one thing that really bugged me. When a caller asked him if Road America was on the chopping block, he said something along the lines that CART has some issues with the track and he hopes that CART will be racing at RA this year. I hope he meant to say next year.

Remember the lawsuit that was filed was over RA running the race this year.

nrc
03-02-03, 12:31 AM
Unfortunately the disagreement appears to be on whether or not RA is going to pay the balance of what they owe from last and what they've promised to pay in advance for this year. That's why this year's race may be at risk. I was initially worried that CART might be stirring this up themselves. But now from everything we've seen it appears that Road America is out of line.

Napoleon
03-02-03, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by DaveL
For those who missed it, I can assure that you didn't miss a thing. Don't worry about it.

Good because I screwed up taping it.

Warlock!
03-02-03, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
Other than a babbling old man... you think with the amount of intelligence he has, he'd figure out when to just shut the hellup!

Winter Warlock!

rabbit
03-03-03, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
Other than a babbling old man... you think with the amount of intelligence he has, he'd figure out when to just shut the hellup!

Winter Warlock! With all the technical problems they were having with the interview, i.e. the five-second delay, it's no surprise. I doubt he could even hear Despain. Doing a live satelite tv interview is hard. You often have no monitor to see your interviewer and if the audio connection is haywire, you're on your own.

nrc
03-03-03, 01:06 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I think technical problems left Chris at less than his best.

Like I said, I think the show could be good once they get an hour. I'm sure Despain will stir folks up some, but I enjoy his comments even when I don't agree with them. Tonight on SpeedNews he commented that if you're not aware of the IRL's laundry list of faults you can find them on any CART internet forum. :)

One thing I thought was pretty funny on the show was Pook's furious backpedalling when Despain called him on his TV remarks from the Portland town meeting. At the town meeting Pook commented that they inherited the Speed package, left out all the positive stuff he normally says about SPEED and simply said that they need to have more network presence and that they're working on that.

From his response to Despain it sounded like he had already been called on it and had to sooth some bruised feelings. He said that he had talked about the good points about the SPEED package but that those comments were dropped out. I think he must have been thinking of comments prior to or after the event because I didn't notice any gaps in the event itself.

WWpantz
03-03-03, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Good because I screwed up taping it.

You probably did fine, but the Cracker Barrel checkers tournament ran long and I only hit about 3 mins of the show on my (usually) airtight PVR. I followed up and caught it the next day.

I really felt for the two of them as they tried to communicate like Gulf War correspondents. Truly, Dave and Chris deserved a one-hour in-studio program, face-to-face. I firmly believe the bugs will get worked out and it's going to be a show to be reckoned with.

I only wish they hadn't wasted the maiden voyage on softballs to CHEEP.

racer2c
03-04-03, 11:08 AM
My perception of what Pook was saying (without actually saying it) is this; BE is buying CART and it will happen by the end of March. He didn't deny it, he just said he couldn't talk about it.

oddlycalm
03-04-03, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by nrc
From his response to Despain it sounded like he had already been called on it and had to sooth some bruised feelings. He said that he had talked about the good points about the SPEED package but that those comments were dropped out. I think he must have been thinking of comments prior to or after the event because I didn't notice any gaps in the event itself.

You've got it right. I was surprised at that point in the discussion that he didn't say anything positive about Speed. It was so glaring an ommision that Scottie jumped in with his comments contrasting the ABC and Speed coverage, and finished by say that ABC's coverage of the post race was 'bull****e', which amused all present. I was a bit sorry to hear Pook's response, as while more CBS races might be good for CART, I appreciate that the Speed Channel doesn't ever preempt the race for golf or telethons.

I also agree that we can safely assume that he's gotten a call from someone at Speed, and had to patch things up.