PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote

rabbit
04-19-05, 10:55 PM
linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=bm-texasobservations041705&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

"Bourdais is the best I've ever seen in an IROC car. The best."

-- Dave Marcis, NASCAR veteran and long-time IROC test driver/setup guy Better than Dale Earnhardt? Mark Martin? Al Unser Jr.? Heck, Eddie Cheever?!?

That's a pretty impressive statement.

:thumbup:

nrc
04-19-05, 11:06 PM
And then this from the gomer columnist, "I predict Bourdais will be racing stock cars within two years."

devilmaster
04-19-05, 11:18 PM
OC members should chip in and buy Seabass a set of wingtips as a congrats for those comments from Marcis.....

fourrunner
04-19-05, 11:21 PM
OC members should chip in and buy Seabass a set of wingtips as a congrats for those comments from Marcis.....

The Black & White ones would be cool ! ;)

devilmaster
04-19-05, 11:23 PM
The Black & White ones would be cool ! ;)

Red and Yellow aka Mcdonalds colours. ;)

Ziggy
04-20-05, 12:32 PM
It's like having the captain of the valdez say

"he's a pretty good ship captain"

WGAF?

G.
04-20-05, 12:39 PM
Friday night's TMS crowd just might have been the biggest ever to witness Bourdais win a race in the United States. Huh? How many were there?

skaven
04-20-05, 03:44 PM
The local paper never once mentioned "Champcar." They talked about how he was an open-wheeler, but didn't mention the series. It did mention FindyCar while talking about Gaylio. :mad:

There's a lot of work to be done.

Congrats Seabass ! ! !

Jervis Tetch 1
04-20-05, 06:54 PM
Nice words.

oddlycalm
04-20-05, 08:43 PM
And then this from the gomer columnist, "I predict Bourdais will be racing stock cars within two years." You suppose we should make a note to remind him of his prediction two years from now... ;)

oc

JLMannin
04-20-05, 09:15 PM
It's like having the captain of the valdez say

"he's a pretty good ship captain"

WGAF?

Well, IGAF. Marcis did a lot of testing for Richard Childress Racing when Dale Sr. was driving. I, for one, respect his opinion.

Wheel-Nut
04-21-05, 09:51 AM
Well, IGAF. Marcis did a lot of testing for Richard Childress Racing when Dale Sr. was driving. I, for one, respect his opinion.

Yep, Dave is Old School. He knows what he's saying.

Turn7
04-21-05, 10:12 AM
WGAF?

More folks than don't.

Dave Marcus may have not been the best NASCAR driver to ever grace the lineup. However, he is a storied character. That type of thing is what has propelled NASCAR into the mainstream of America. Silly things like him wearing wingtips as driving shoes and the ever present Goodyear lid, Richard Petty with that damned sqaushed chicken gracing his cowboy hat, Kale Yarbourough and Morgan Shepard always swapping paint, nicknames like Fireball, ect. That all captured the attention of a ever increasing audience and was the foundation for Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Dale Earnhardt, Ricky Rudd and Darrel Waltrip to pound it home and take NASCAR not only out of the South but, on the crusp of going international in popularity. All of it was carefully orchestrated by the Frances to perfection while the inheritor floundered around and picked a fight with the wrong group. If he would of spent as much energy and money fighting the NASCAR revolution as he has internal squablling with open wheel team owners, the Indy 500 may still be the premier race in the US and not the Daytona 500.

I digress, Champ Car needs a Dave Marcus or two that journalists take note of when they speak.

Ziggy
04-21-05, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the schooling on Dave Marcus

I see him about four times a year. I will let him know he has a fan club @offcamber. Im sure he will get a kick out of it!

Epic stuff, driving those led sleds. "could eye git a half round a wedge"

Turn7
04-21-05, 10:36 AM
I can't say I am a fan, what I am trying to say is that making a recognizable character from a midpack to backmarker driver is what has propelled NASCAR way past all other forms of racing in the States.

Think about it, if Shiggy Hatori would of stated the same thing about a up and coming driver, who would of bothered to quote him in a article?

That is the point I am trying to make.

Sean O'Gorman
04-21-05, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the schooling on Dave Marcus

I see him about four times a year. I will let him know he has a fan club @offcamber. Im sure he will get a kick out of it!

Epic stuff, driving those led sleds. "could eye git a half round a wedge"

I'm assuming then that you'll never criticize a driver's skills because you don't have any racing experience?

Ziggy
04-21-05, 11:31 AM
No, it's Dave Marcus. A stock car driver, and not a very good one at that. Now if Niki Lauda said something, or Mario Andretti or anybody with the credentials to back it up, then it would have some weight.

but it's Dave Marcus, talking about an IROC event

that about does it

Im getting a kick of these guys I have seen post for years, the same guys who are of the mindset that IROC is crap (which I share) now going gaga over ONE victory by an Openwheel guy, a Champcar Openwheel guy to boot, and all the sudden IROC is relevent. :rolleyes: He's been compared to Rick Mears, and now were getting glowing reviews from no less a barometer than Dave Marcus, which somehow relates to confirmation of a talent.

If you need Dave Marcus to tell you Sebastian Bourdais has talent, you need to follow WWF.

That about cover it for you SeanO?

PS - I have raced, but dont bore the membership of this message board with my epic struggles. I didn't go full blown gymakahnna like yourself mind you, my cars and bikes actually were not street legal. :D

chop456
04-21-05, 11:33 AM
Ow. :rofl:

Turn7
04-21-05, 11:50 AM
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Mess with Ziggy and get chopped off at your knees.

Methanolandbrats
04-21-05, 11:54 AM
I didn't go full blown gymakahnna like yourself mind you ROFL that's the funniest thing in a long time :thumbup:

racer2c
04-21-05, 12:18 PM
No, it's Dave Marcus. A stock car driver, and not a very good one at that. Now if Niki Lauda said something, or Mario Andretti or anybody with the credentials to back it up, then it would have some weight.

that about does it

Im getting a kick of these guys I have seen post for years, the same guys who are of the mindset that IROC is crap (which I share) now going gaga over ONE victory by an Openwheel guy, a Champcar Openwheel guy to boot, and all the sudden IROC is relevent. :rolleyes: He's been compared to Rick Mears, and now were getting glowing reviews from no less a barometer than Dave Marcus, which somehow relates to confirmation of a talent.

If you need Dave Marcus to tell you Sebastian Bourdais has talent, you need to follow WWF.

PS - I have raced, but dont bore the membership of this message board with my epic struggles. I didn't go full blown gymakahnna like yourself mind you, my cars and bikes actually were not street legal. :D

I couldn't agree more.

Andrew Longman
04-21-05, 12:32 PM
The remarkable thing about Dave Marcus was that he raced as long as he did with his own team and almost no budget. he and his wife scraped it together week after week, year after year. He certainly wasn't Lauda in terms race talent, but he certainly would have done better with better funding. At very least he showed great talent in the "financial ingenuitity" department.

And he was a Yankee in a Southerner's sport and universally liked and respected, which also is remarkable in many ways.

Anyway, he said something nice about SeaBass. We happen to agree with a NASCAR driver. Neither happens that often. We should enjoy it, but not go crazy.

Andrew Longman
04-21-05, 12:32 PM
Mysterious double post :confused:

rabbit
04-21-05, 12:33 PM
I don't need Dave Marcis to tell me SeaBass is a talented and versatile driver. I knew that a long time ago. But I do think it is relevent when a former driver who has raced against and worked with some of the best in history from a variety of disciplines makes such a strong statement. IROC still sucks. But I think the hope is that Sebastien's performance and the reviews he has received will make him and the series more legitimate and more recognizable to the American public.

Sean O'Gorman
04-21-05, 12:49 PM

that about does it

Yeah, you know how much that Niki Lauda knows about modern IROC... :rolleyes:

I never said anything about Dave Marcis' credibility or Bourdais' talent in this thread because I didn't think the quote was any sort of big deal because those of us who have been watching Champ Car since '03 already know how good he can be. But I also didn't tear down Dave Marcis for no apparent reason other than to hate on NASCAR, because I know how much time Marcis spends working with IROC and he should know who is good and who isn't when it comes to those cars.

But go ahead and keep mocking me for autocrossing, it doesn't bug me at all because it is simply something I do for fun. I know better than to think it would mean anything if I had the money to road race, I mean just look at how much that Peter Cunningham, Randy Pobst, Jeff Altenberg, Hurley Haywood, Peter Gregg, etc etc sucked when they went from autocross to road racing.

Racing Truth
04-21-05, 12:55 PM
All of which begs one question: Did Dave Marcis wizz in your cereal this morning? :gomer:

No, he's not a legend, but he's been working on IROC for many years now, and he's been around for awhile, so he should have some clue what he's talking abut.

Ziggy
04-21-05, 12:57 PM
Tales from the ladder system

by SeanO

mueber
04-21-05, 01:14 PM
I don't need Dave Marcis to tell me SeaBass is a talented and versatile driver. I knew that a long time ago. But I do think it is relevent when a former driver who has raced against and worked with some of the best in history from a variety of disciplines makes such a strong statement. IROC still sucks. But I think the hope is that Sebastien's performance and the reviews he has received will make him and the series more legitimate and more recognizable to the American public.

Skater_36
04-21-05, 02:35 PM

that about does it

Concise and to the point on all issues. :thumbup:

Joelski
04-21-05, 07:27 PM

that about does it

All Kermy did was get away before some necktard slopehead could "nudge: him. That victory is cool, but it means squat-ola because the fraternity will not let a non-member, much less a furriner upstage them. Driving, building, and officiating, it's all about the cheat for the neck boys and they don't take too kindly to getting beat. Don't look for it to happen again soon unless Sebs gets the pole and stays way ahead without lapping any of those jackwads...

Make sense? Neckfarce is wrastlin' for gearheads.

SteveH
04-21-05, 07:49 PM

DaveL
04-21-05, 07:59 PM
Dave Marcis does not have to apologize for his resume. He was a very good driver who usually drove cars with pocket change for sponsorship. When he drove good cars like the K&K Dodge he won races. If Seebass get's the kind of endorsement he did from Marcis, it means something.

JT265
04-21-05, 08:11 PM
Tales from the ladder system

by SeanO

Who's playing SeanO in the film version?

Sean O'Gorman
04-21-05, 08:21 PM
The guy who plays Mr. Bean

Ankf00
04-21-05, 09:05 PM
can ben affleck play Tony George?

I'd really love to bash TG in the face with a ball bat then... I'd be killing two birds with one bat :D

Spicoli
04-21-05, 09:11 PM
Dear Sean:

go get laid.

Gary
04-21-05, 09:20 PM
http://img98.echo.cx/img98/2504/boring8wb.jpg

Paintergeek
04-21-05, 09:40 PM

Now THAT should be a bumper sticker...........

racer2c
04-21-05, 10:59 PM

Ankf00
04-22-05, 01:56 AM
anyone wanna get me that for xmas? :)

JLMannin
04-22-05, 01:07 PM
Dave Marcis does not have to apologize for his resume. He was a very good driver who usually drove cars with pocket change for sponsorship. When he drove good cars like the K&K Dodge he won races. If Seebass get's the kind of endorsement he did from Marcis, it means something.

Thank you for noticing that there are other ways to assess talent than by just looking at the number of wins.

racer2c
04-22-05, 01:42 PM
Thank you for noticing that there are other ways to assess talent than by just looking at the number of wins.

So why are there so many JV haters around here? He's won a bunch and still gets labled 'Worst Driver Ever". :confused: :shakehead

Racing Truth
04-22-05, 02:25 PM
So why are there so many JV haters around here? He's won a bunch and still gets labled 'Worst Driver Ever". :confused: :shakehead

Let's see:

Schooled by teammates every weekend? Check.

Not winning anything of note after the '97 WDC? Check.

Grossly overpayed? Check.

It's one thing to be the leading driver on an inferior team. JV's been on inferior teams alright. Too bad he hasn't been much of a leader.

No, he's not "Worst Driver Ever." He might just have the "Biggest Ego Ever."

racer2c
04-22-05, 02:28 PM
Let's see:

Schooled by teammates every weekend? Check.

Not winning anything of note after the '97 WDC? Check.

Grossly overpayed? Check.

It's one thing to be the leading driver on an inferior team. JV's been on inferior teams alright. Too bad he hasn't been much of a leader.

No, he's not "Worst Driver Ever." He might just have the "Biggest Ego Ever."

Ah, it's the ego that is hated. If I had a dollar for every oversized ego race car driver I've met, I'd be rich.

anait
04-22-05, 02:28 PM
anyone wanna get me that for xmas? :)

It's already available as a T-shirt:

http://www.bustedtees.com/product.php?name=boringnascar

( :rofl: This racing-unrelated one's hilarious, too... http://www.bustedtees.com/product.php?name=secondamendment )

Racing Truth
04-22-05, 03:52 PM
Ah, it's the ego that is hated. If I had a dollar for every oversized ego race car driver I've met, I'd be rich.

Schumi has a big ego, but few, except a certain British ex-pat ;) , hate on his ability. He has reason to have an ego. JV doesn't.

Since '97, he is the most overrated commodity in motorsports.

DagoFast
04-22-05, 05:02 PM
But go ahead and keep mocking me. I mean just look at how much that Hurley Haywood and me sucked when we were autocrossing.

There. All fixed. :laugh:

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Sean O'Gorman
04-22-05, 05:27 PM
Ouch. :(