PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Decks

Napoleon
04-19-05, 09:44 AM
OK, I generally respect the opinions and knowledge of this crowd so I will throw this question out for some help from you all.

I had a deck added to my house in September or October of last year and have yet to seal it or stain it or anything. All I know about decks is how to sit on one with a cold one.

Any recommendations as to what to do to it and what are the best products?

Turn7
04-19-05, 09:59 AM
Is the deck viewable from underneath?

If not, just fill up a garden sprayer with your preference of stain color, pump it up then spray it all over the deck.

Let it dry and continue with your sitting around not doing nothing.

racer2c
04-19-05, 10:21 AM
A good freind of mine who power washes as a side biz did my deck last summer. Here's some tips he gave.

Make sure the deck is extremely dry.
Make sure there is no rain in the forecast for a few days after you seal it.
Stain/seal the next year from the first seal, after that you can go three years in between.
Stain and sealant are two different things. If you want to stain it, make sure you get a stain/sealant combo.
If you know someone with a powerwasher, they can spray it in about 30 minutes for a large deck. they need to know how to feather when sealing though or you will end up with heavy spots every few feet.

Spicoli
04-19-05, 11:17 AM
Be careful with the powerwasher. You deck is new, and unless you have had an elephant pooping on it all winter, there's no need to powerwash. You can tear up wood real quick by powerwashing the wrong way.

Get a "Broom" attachment to your hose. Scrub it down with that. Use a deck cleraner solution (you have to scrub it down to get all the treatment off the wood). Let it dry. Get a hand pump sprayer http://www.roundup.com/media/images/productGuide-GUI/Equipment/2RUSS.jpg and then spray the stain/sealer on it.

If your wood is treated right, you may want to even wait another year. Treated lumber won;t take a sealer/stain unless its scrubbed down.

And make sure you drink beer while doing this.

racer2c
04-19-05, 11:33 AM
Be careful with the powerwasher. You deck is new, and unless you have had an elephant pooping on it all winter, there's no need to powerwash. You can tear up wood real quick by powerwashing the wrong way.

And make sure you drink beer while doing this.

I was talking about using the powerwasher as a sprayer, not actualy powerwashing it.

anait
04-19-05, 11:33 AM
:saywhat: A hand sprayer. That's genius. Why the heck didn't we think of that... :cool:

anait
04-19-05, 11:35 AM
[thread hijack] I really really really want a power washer. I promise I won't wreck anything with it. I just want to play with a power washer. Our neighbour has a power washer, I was coveting it the other day while he was washing his house...[/thread hijack]

Spicoli
04-19-05, 11:37 AM
I was talking about using the powerwasher as a sprayer, not actualy powerwashing it.

NO NO NO!

Cripes almighty - do NOT do that. 2500-4000 PSI for an applicator? :saywhat:

you ever mess with a powerwasher?

No No NO....use the handsprayer. 20 bucks tops.

a great FREE reseource for all this is your local Sherwin-Williams store - guys know their ****.

G.
04-19-05, 11:42 AM
I was talking about using the powerwasher as a sprayer, not actualy powerwashing it.Huh? My PW needs to have a garden hose attached to it. It sprays WATER. You can add a solution (soap) to the siphon pick up, but you don't put anything oil-based in it. Bottom line, you cannot stain/seal with my PW. Even with water-based stains, you are gonna get a WHOLE lot more H20 through the thing than you get stain. I know there are some (non-homeowner type) power sprayers that do this stuff, but not any WASHER that I know of.

Power washers are dangerous, to self and property. You should see what happens when you get water (or paint, for the industrial-type stuff) injected into your hand. The medical solution seems worse than the injury.

anait
04-19-05, 11:46 AM
Power washers are dangerous, to self and property.

Aren't there models with less PSI, safe for washing things like vinyl siding and stone decks? The little ones I've seen people use at home don't look unmanageable...sure, you don't aim them at one spot for long, or at your family...

racer2c
04-19-05, 11:53 AM
Huh? My PW needs to have a garden hose attached to it. It sprays WATER. You can add a solution (soap) to the siphon pick up, but you don't put anything oil-based in it. Bottom line, you cannot stain/seal with my PW. Even with water-based stains, you are gonna get a WHOLE lot more H20 through the thing than you get stain. I know there are some (non-homeowner type) power sprayers that do this stuff, but not any WASHER that I know of.

Power washers are dangerous, to self and property. You should see what happens when you get water (or paint, for the industrial-type stuff) injected into your hand. The medical solution seems worse than the injury.

Yeah, the 'home' units won't spray. My friend uses a commercial unit that can handle oil based sealers at low volume (controled by different nozzle tips).
Like I said, a powerwasher can spay a deck in 30 minutes. Rolling it or using a bug sprayer will take all day.

G.
04-19-05, 11:55 AM
Aren't there models with less PSI, safe for washing things like vinyl siding and stone decks? The little ones I've seen people use at home don't look unmanageable...sure, you don't aim them at one spot for long, or at your family...Sure, they are safe, but they all can cause severe injury and property damage. Lemme give you an :o example. Washing my car. Soap in a bucket for siphoning. My PW has a high pressure and low pressure setting (on the wand). I use low pressure for the soap. In order to get any distance for soap-spitting, you need to turn the nozzle to the "pencil" setting when you're in low. When you return to the high-pressure setting for rinsing, be sure that you change the nozzle back to "fan" setting! Took the plastic "paint" right off the bumper.

I don't expect to make that mistake again. :o

racer2c
04-19-05, 11:56 AM
NO NO NO!

Cripes almighty - do NOT do that. 2500-4000 PSI for an applicator? :saywhat:

you ever mess with a powerwasher?

No No NO....use the handsprayer. 20 bucks tops.

a great FREE reseource for all this is your local Sherwin-Williams store - guys know their ****.

I was referring to hiring someone who is experienced in doing such things, like my friend, who powerwashes/seals hundreds of decks a year. Note to self: use more detail. :gomer:

anait
04-19-05, 12:11 PM
Lemme give you an :o example.

:D Thanks for the warning. What doesn't kill us makes for good stories.

Napoleon
04-19-05, 12:21 PM
The deck is not viewable from below. It sits fairly close to the ground and in fact even a child could not crawl under it. It is also very clean with the exception of one minor stain on some stairs.

The contractor said wait something like 6 months before I seal it (which it has been) but I wondered with the low light, heat and precipitation of winter whether it would leach the treatment out.

I am planning a party at my house in late June and wondered if I should seal it before then.

I am inclined to lean against staining, because the house is white and I certainly do not want a dark deck, but a picnic table I have which I seal yearly with Thompson water seal does not look so hot after 5 or 6 years so I wondered if maybe even a light stain maybe preferable. Or that maybe the Thompson water seal sucked. At least the deck is not in a real shady area so moss should not be a concern.

Oh and the beer thing, why didn’t I think of that.

Spicoli
04-19-05, 12:26 PM
Yeah, the 'home' units won't spray. My friend uses a commercial unit that can handle oil based sealers at low volume (controled by different nozzle tips).
Like I said, a powerwasher can spay a deck in 30 minutes. Rolling it or using a bug sprayer will take all day.

whatever.

rolling or spraying, unless you have a 2000 SF deck, should take you about 2-3 hours.

racer2c
04-19-05, 12:28 PM
whatever.

rolling or spraying, unless you have a 2000 SF deck, should take you about 2-3 hours.

yeah, whatever. Powerwasher hater. ;) :D

Spicoli
04-19-05, 12:28 PM
Sure, they are safe, but they all can cause severe injury and property damage. Lemme give you an :o example. Washing my car. Soap in a bucket for siphoning. My PW has a high pressure and low pressure setting (on the wand). I use low pressure for the soap. In order to get any distance for soap-spitting, you need to turn the nozzle to the "pencil" setting when you're in low. When you return to the high-pressure setting for rinsing, be sure that you change the nozzle back to "fan" setting! Took the plastic "paint" right off the bumper.

I don't expect to make that mistake again. :o

bingo - more people hurt themselves with misusing powerwashers than any other rental tool combined.

it will tear your skin off.

and p.s: eletric power washers are for mommies. :gomer:

devilmaster
04-19-05, 12:34 PM
[thread hijack] I really really really want a power washer. I promise I won't wreck anything with it. I just want to play with a power washer. Our neighbour has a power washer, I was coveting it the other day while he was washing his house...[/thread hijack]

Well, do what your post says, and hijack it. (no, not the guy - the washer)

unless of couse you want to hijack the neighbour....

devilmaster
04-19-05, 12:36 PM
Back on topic....

Ya know nappy, you could just invite us forum members over to help you do your deck..... :D

anait
04-19-05, 12:38 PM
Well, do what your post says, and hijack it. (no, not the guy - the washer)

unless of couse you want to hijack the neighbour....

:p

Yeah, I may just ask to borrow it for a test run...this mommy likes to play with power tools she can handle. :D

Hey, I could probably get some sort of sprayer attachement for mr anait's air compressor, couldn't I?

CARTNUT
04-19-05, 12:41 PM
Had you used composite deck material (http://www.weatherbest.com), you wouldn't have to worry about staining/sealing. And it's good for the environment because it's made from reclaimed lumbermill sawdust and old recycled grocery bags and pallet wrap.

And anait could use her neighbors pressure washer on it at up to 1500psi without damage!

'NUT :gomer:

Spicoli
04-19-05, 12:41 PM
yeah, whatever. Powerwasher hater. ;) :D

Look - people asked a Q, people got an answer. And as usual, my answer is always right

(see- Yoda desertion of IRL) ;)

I do not hate powerwashers. I hate dumb people (not directed to you)

devilmaster
04-19-05, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I may just ask to borrow it for a test run...this mommy likes to play with power tools she can handle. :D

Hey, I could probably get some sort of sprayer attachement for mr anait's air compressor, couldn't I?

Must.....
Bite......
Tongue......

;)

anait
04-19-05, 12:55 PM
Had you used composite deck material (http://www.weatherbest.com), you wouldn't have to worry about staining/sealing. And it's good for the environment because it's made from reclaimed lumbermill sawdust and old recycled grocery bags and pallet wrap.

And anait could use her neighbors pressure washer on it at up to 1500psi without damage!

'NUT :gomer:

We used composite lattice on our decks; replaced the wooden lattice on the old deck, but couldn't afford to build the whole new deck of composite, so used it just for the lattice. (I actually wanted a stretched cable setup for both. :D )

When we build our new house (someday), we'll definitely plan to build any decks out of that material, or whatever long-term stuff they invent by then. We've re-stained our old deck only once since moving into this house...and didn't get around to sealing it. It's a mess. Maybe I can bump it to the top of the honey-do list... ;)

anait
04-19-05, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I may just ask to borrow it for a test run...this mommy likes to play with power tools she can handle.

Must.....
Bite......
Tongue......

;)

What? Air compressors have too much pressure? I'm so naive sometimes... ;)

Spicoli
04-19-05, 12:58 PM
i prefer concrete.

its hard and needs no mainenance. :gomer:

now THAT is pressurewashing territory.

Spicoli
04-19-05, 01:01 PM
and here's another helpful hint - before i go to lunch and eat some ribs :finger:

Sherwin Williams has this new "House cleaner" solution - $12.99, and I sprayed and rinsed my ENTIRE house (biggie 5000k sf) and my barn and my grill, and my tracor. **** - I cleaned everything, stuff works like a charm - gets rid of moss, mold, dirt, grass clipping, and its non-toxic and safe for the environment.

Best new product i bought in a LONG time... :thumbup:

House is old school white aluminum siding, and looks brand stickin new now.

G.
04-19-05, 01:03 PM
bingo - more people hurt themselves with misusing powerwashers than any other rental tool combined.

it will tear your skin off.

Earlier this year, I saw what happens when you get hit with a high pressure sprayer (note to racer2c - sprayer, not washer :gomer: ) on snopes. You will get a little pinprick in your finger, a little swelling. What the docs do next is, um, ugh. Think flay. They open up your whole hand, and pretty much leave it that way for a few months.

In the interest of safety, here's a link. Note that these were done with professional, super-high power sprayers. THIS IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!!!!!! Hell, it's not even for the strong of stomache. http://www.cmki.org/LMHS/Chapters/13i-Injection.htm

The site is a medical training site, not anything, um, "rotten". You have been warned.

Needless to say, my kids will never be outside again when I fire up the PW.

Napoleon
04-19-05, 01:04 PM
Ya know nappy, you could just invite us forum members over to help you do your deck..... :D

If I did that I am liable to wreck it while you are there!

;)

racer2c
04-19-05, 01:05 PM
Earlier this year, I saw what happens when you get hit with a high pressure sprayer (note to racer2c - sprayer, not washer :gomer: ) on snopes. You will get a little pinprick in your finger, a little swelling. What the docs do next is, um, ugh. Think flay. They open up your whole hand, and pretty much leave it that way for a few months.

In the interest of safety, here's a link. Note that these were done with professional, super-high power sprayers. THIS IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!!!!!! Hell, it's not even for the strong of stomache. http://www.cmki.org/LMHS/Chapters/13i-Injection.htm

The site is a medical training site, not anything, um, "rotten". You have been warned.

Needless to say, my kids will never be outside again when I fire up the PW.

Whatever. I don't even own a 'sprayer'. I got a buddy, like I said multiple times. Note to self: type slower, maybe people will read.:gomer:

devilmaster
04-19-05, 01:20 PM
If I did that I am liable to wreck it while you are there!

;)

Oh sure, bring THAT up. ;) :D

But it shows you that i'll drive hours for a few minutes of crashing action :p

Sean O'Gorman
04-19-05, 03:20 PM
I am planning a party at my house in late June and wondered if I should seal it before then.

My invitation hasn't shown up yet.

Also I heard that JV highly recommends using a powerwasher. :D

oddlycalm
04-19-05, 04:06 PM
I was talking about using the powerwasher as a sprayer, not actualy powerwashing it. Sure you're not talking about an airless paint sprayer? We've got an airless pump and have used it to do the decks a couple time each. As long as you mask everything off with 24"-30" paper it works fine, and you can do a large deck very quickly. I always had someone to back-roll the deck after spraying it to work the stain into the wood well.

oc

Spicoli
04-19-05, 04:17 PM
Sure you're not talking about an airless paint sprayer? We've got an airless pump and have used it to do the decks a couple time each. As long as you mask everything off with 24"-30" paper it works fine, and you can do a large deck very quickly. I always had someone to back-roll the deck after spraying it to work the stain into the wood well.

oc

bingo.

dudes talking about an airless paint sprayer : :rolleyes: NOT a powerwasher.

http://web.mawebcenters.com/drentals/images/384X397AIRLESSPAINTSPRAYER.jpg

biggie Diff.

Airlesses are a whole different animal, and if you are using sealer/stain, be prepared to have to buy a new airless once you **** this one up. :D Because you will. They are tricky, and chances are you will make a biggie mess and your wife will kick your a$$. You will hate her and you will end up with stain all over your house, and your wife will divorce you.

and don;t buy that ****ing "Wagner power painter" crap either.

Just roll the damn thing, you lazy, sensless wussie. And don;t forget the beer. :gomer:

Napoleon
04-19-05, 04:49 PM
My invitation hasn't shown up yet.

Actually the party will be (fingers crossed) when my brother and wife have their first child (and my first and sure to be last nephew/neice) so its not exactly going to be a wild affair.

But if I have a racing related party you will get one.

racer2c
04-19-05, 05:10 PM
bingo.

dudes talking about an airless paint sprayer : NOT a powerwasher.

http://web.mawebcenters.com/drentals/images/384X397AIRLESSPAINTSPRAYER.jpg

biggie Diff.

Airlesses are a whole different animal, and if you are using sealer/stain, be prepared to have to buy a new airless once you **** this one up. :D Because you will. They are tricky, and chances are you will make a biggie mess and your wife will kick your a$$. You will hate her and you will end up with stain all over your house, and your wife will divorce you.

and don;t buy that ****ing "Wagner power painter" crap either.

Just roll the damn thing, you lazy, sensless wussie. And don;t forget the beer.

Hold the bingo Grandma, it wasn't an airless paintsprayer. Do airless paint sprayers have ten horsepower Honda engines? :gomer:

He power washed and sealed my deck with the same unit. I'll give him a ring and ask what the exact model is for you uninformed.

:gomer:

Spicoli
04-19-05, 05:13 PM
Hold the bingo Grandma, it wasn't an airless paintsprayer. Do airless paint sprayers have ten horsepower Honda engines? :gomer:

He power washed and sealed my deck with the same unit. I'll give him a ring and ask what the exact model is for you uninformed.

:gomer:

1. Yes, yes they do.

2. Your friend showed you his "unit"? :saywhat:

Napoleon
05-31-05, 01:11 PM
Well I am about ready to seal my deck in the next week.

A few weeks ago on a nationally syndicated radio call in show that discusses home improvement the host mentioned a deck sealing product (which advertises on his show) that allegedly last, and is guaranteed, 7 years, unlike the stuff you usually get at Home Depot or Lowes (it is 7 years because that is how long the guy who owns the company has had it on his test subject and it is still working). So I do an internet search and to my total amazement the manufacturer is within a few minute bicycle ride from my house. The owner of the company was likewise amazed when I called to order from him and when he asked where I was from I answered “well, right around the corner”.

So today I went and talked to the owner of the company, bought some of his product and will see if it really does last that much longer then the other products that are available.

The companys name is One Time Wood and web site is the same name, onetimewood.com.

devilmaster
05-31-05, 01:37 PM
The companys name is One Time Wood and web site is the same name, onetimewood.com.

Why Pfizer didn't pick up that website name, i'll never know.....

Anyways, good luck with the stuff nappy. Still waiting for the invite to help celebrate the new deck ;)

anait
05-31-05, 03:11 PM

Why Pfizer didn't pick up that website name, i'll never know.....

Well, think a sec... 'one time'?? Ever?? For good?? :thumdown: :p Not gonna cut it.