PDA

View Full Version : US Cycling in a tailspin? Lance retires, Tyler Banned.

RacinM3
04-19-05, 09:43 AM
I sort of figured Tyler Hamilton would be chosen as the logical "next" one. Now, with his 2 year ban for blood doping (I love the criteria - there are "strong signs of possible manipulation" - I'm glad the US justice system needs more than that to convict!), it appears that won't be the case.

It's good to see Lance retiring at the top, with so many people who hang on too long. Looks like after the '05 TdF, Armstrong will take on a mentoring role. Question is, who will he mentor?

IlliniRacer
04-19-05, 12:21 PM
It's good to see Lance retiring at the top, with so many people who hang on too long. Looks like after the '05 TdF, Armstrong will take on a mentoring role. Question is, who will he mentor?

While Azevedo or Beltran would make sense, I can't help but think that Discovery is going to want an American in the lead.

I'm still holding out hope that Landis comes back. Do you know what his contract status is with Phonak? Not that that has ever stopped a jump before though. If it isn't Floyd, maybe they'll use Leipheimmer or Julich as a stop gap.

Joe in LA
04-19-05, 06:49 PM
While Azevedo or Beltran would make sense, I can't help but think that Discovery is going to want an American in the lead.

I'm still holding out hope that Landis comes back. Do you know what his contract status is with Phonak? Not that that has ever stopped a jump before though. If it isn't Floyd, maybe they'll use Leipheimmer or Julich as a stop gap.

Julich seems a bit old to be the new hope. Leipheimmer might make it, but hasn't really looked the part. Is Landis a tour challenger?

Ankf00
04-19-05, 07:44 PM
I sort of figured Tyler Hamilton would be chosen as the logical "next" one. Now, with his 2 year ban for blood doping (I love the criteria - there are "strong signs of possible manipulation" - I'm glad the US justice system needs more than that to convict!), it appears that won't be the case.

Phonak had 3 doping cases involving EPO in one year. Coincidence? In January, both Phonak's manager and directeur sportif were canned with Phonak's CEO saying the new mgr would "guide it to a more sure future, crowned by success and based on ethical values."

Hamilton wasn't railroaded and he didnt just fail one test...