PDA

View Full Version : How to keep LB

DjDrOmusic
04-18-05, 05:43 PM
I floated this idea over at CW and it's been getting some positive reaction. My idea is to give Long Beach and Dover the one thing that TG can't, Memorial Day Weekend! Make the premiere street event in this country, and Champ Car's marquis event, the biggest Open Wheel race in the World, on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend,. With the damage done to the 500 by TG, it would be possible, plus if God decided to hit the speedway with another tornado or frogs or locusts, Long Beach would run, rain or shine! :)

Hard Driver
04-18-05, 05:53 PM
:thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
04-18-05, 05:55 PM
Uhh, stick to being a DJ.

Dr. Corkski
04-18-05, 06:03 PM
April is just a month. :gomer:

oddlycalm
04-18-05, 06:15 PM
My idea is to give Long Beach and Dover the one thing that TG can't, Memorial Day Weekend! Good tactictal thinking, but you're assuming that they haven't thought of it. It's always a good idea to muddy the water for the competition in any negotiation, particularly when it doesn't cost you anything. Considering Kalkovan's track record I'd be stunned if this has been overlooked.

While I seriously doubt the LBGP organizers would want the date change, it would be silly not to play that card.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
04-18-05, 06:34 PM
What does Long Beach gain from running the same day as Indy?

cameraman
04-18-05, 06:49 PM

Not a blessed thing.

nrc
04-18-05, 06:53 PM
I think if Long Beach wanted to run on Memorial Day weekend then they'd be there by now.

jonovision_man
04-19-05, 04:39 PM

Irrelevance?

:p

jono

RacinM3
04-19-05, 04:44 PM
Too many options in So Cal. The "average casual fan" (a comment that describes, oh, about 90% of the Long Beach crowd) is off doing other things Memorial Day weekend. And it ain't in their living rooms, watching the Earl 500.

FRANKY
04-19-05, 05:00 PM
Too many options in So Cal. The "average casual fan" (a comment that describes, oh, about 90% of the Long Beach crowd) is off doing other things Memorial Day weekend. And it ain't in their living rooms, watching the Earl 500.

I agree, attendance would drop from the locals. My family has Memorial Day traditions, picinics, etc. Honey I'm going to a race rather than a family thing just won't float.

People need to get over the feeling of needing to compete with the 500 that weekend, just compete against the other dates, or race Monday.

DjDrOmusic
04-20-05, 02:41 PM
Sorry, just thought I would throw it out there, didn't mean to rile the masses.

skaven
04-20-05, 03:39 PM

I don't think its such a bad idea. In fact, I liked it. :)

Even if it isn't at Long Beach, I think CC should be racing somewhere on that weekend - Sat. night race or a Monday road race that could be run in the wet if need be. Or even a race at Lausitzring that would be shown in the morning before the fie hunnert and caca cola.

The weekend pullout section in the USA Today should include CC.

DagoFast
04-20-05, 03:40 PM
Hey doc, I like your idea!

But then again, I'm not one of those people who STILL buy findy tickets every year. Of course most say, "I never use 'em" Or "I Won't go while the .1rl is there". Like THAT's keeping Ftg awake at night...not.

I say if LB or ANY track wants a memorial day race, Champ Car should be there. With bells on.

And I like the idea of a big race on the west coast, while the east coast has theirs...in Charlotte.

DagoFast
04-20-05, 03:46 PM

Gosh, I dunno, why do they have the Rose bowl and the Orange bowl, and the Cotton bowl all on the same day? Maybe New Years day is just another day to play football on. Nothing special.

peelo
04-25-05, 01:46 PM
Great idea because May is really nice here in LB but can't do it because of the City's second biggest event:

http://www.longbeachpride.com/

Fio1
04-25-05, 01:59 PM
How to keep Long Beach? The Long Beach GP Organization should have a clause saying that overweight individuals would have to pay more for tickets. That would keep the Indiana masses (no pun intended, well maybe) away from Long Beach GP. BTW, we serve King Taco at Long Beach not tenderloins on a stick.... :p

sundaydriver2
04-25-05, 03:28 PM
The only thing the LBGPA should do is move the event one week later. The masters is killing the ratings.

devilmaster
04-25-05, 04:02 PM

Doc, do not apologise for offering up an idea......

Just because people make moronic comments like SeanO's up there, does not mean you should not offer ideas.

Your question brings up a few interesting points....

Which race would survive in a one on one battle? Would it be better to move an established race into the 6 week gap than trying to build a new race in there?

I'd rather listen to a good debate as to the whys and why nots, instead of no ideas being brought up because of stupid comments from self-glorified valet drivers....

fourrunner
04-25-05, 04:19 PM
Great idea because May is really nice here in LB but can't do it because of the City's second biggest event:

http://www.longbeachpride.com/

peelo .... Shhhhh .... Tony George has been keeping that quiet so he doesn't lose 1/2 the field on Memorial Day!

Dr. Corkski
04-25-05, 04:33 PM
Which race would survive in a one on one battle? Would it be better to move an established race into the 6 week gap than trying to build a new race in there?The NASCAR race would be the big winner. O'Gorman said it poorly but he's right. Champ Car doesn't need to fix what isn't broken.

formulaben
04-25-05, 05:50 PM
I'm not so opposed to the idea, but one thing is for sure: OWRS needs to fill this ridiculous gap in April-May. 2 races in 2 months?! Is it really that hard to schedule some racing during that time period? And as for racing on Memorial Day Weekend (not necessarily Sunday; Sat nite or Monday) I don't see why OWRS is sitting there holding their dick :gomer: when EVERYONE ELSE IS OUT RACING. What the hell are they thinking?! :mad:

Sean O'Gorman
04-25-05, 06:55 PM

Just because people make moronic comments like SeanO's up there, does not mean you should not offer ideas.

Which race would survive in a one on one battle? Would it be better to move an established race into the 6 week gap than trying to build a new race in there?

I'd rather listen to a good debate as to the whys and why nots, instead of no ideas being brought up because of stupid comments from self-glorified valet drivers....

So "What does Long Beach gain from running the same day as Indy?" was a stupid comment that does nothing to stimulate conversation? :shakehead

cameraman
04-25-05, 07:28 PM
What the hell are they thinking?! :mad:

They are thinking that they do not have a race to put in the gap that won't lose them a few million dollars.

Long Beach is a tradition at that date and moving it will have a very good chance of killing it. Putting it on Memorial Day weekend would be idiotic, the locals are at the beach or otherwise off enjoying themselves. You would not be competing with Indy you would be competing with every event, park, beach and hill in California on a long warm weekend.

Champ Car will probably put the Argentina date in the gap or any other warm location they can come up with that is sponsored and won't lose them a small fortune.

Dr. Corkski
04-25-05, 07:32 PM

I'd rather listen to a good debate as to the whys and why nots, instead of no ideas being brought up because of stupid comments from self-glorified valet drivers....Please tell how that is any different that what O'Gorman posted.

nrc
04-25-05, 08:38 PM
So "What does Long Beach gain from running the same day as Indy?" was a stupid comment that does nothing to stimulate conversation? :shakehead

Do you consider "Uhh, stick to being a DJ." an intelligent comment that stimulates conversation? I don't and for the life of me I don't know why we left it up.

Ankf00
04-25-05, 09:03 PM
Do you consider "Uhh, stick to being a DJ." an intelligent comment that stimulates conversation? I don't and for the life of me I don't know why we left it up.

I think that's what passes for intelligent convo in MR2 circles :gomer:

we need a race vs. Indy, but I don't think it should be LB, LB vs some ****ty race of theirs brings more glory to LB... and if we just run opposite Indy, we take away any momentum they can gather from our drivers or teams going over...

JT265
04-25-05, 09:10 PM
I think that's what passes for intelligent convo in MR2 circles :gomer:

we need a race vs. Indy, but I don't think it should be LB, LB vs some ****ty race of theirs brings more glory to LB... and if we just run opposite Indy, we take away any momentum they can gather from our drivers or teams going over...

Point #1. :rofl: He really out-O'Gorman'd himself, didn't he?

Point #2. Good point. ;)

Ankf00
04-25-05, 09:15 PM
Point #1. :rofl: He really out-O'Gorman'd himself, didn't he?

just when you think the bar's been raised higher than it ever will be again, ala DiMaggio, *BAM* It hits ya right in the teeth. ;)

Andrew Longman
04-25-05, 09:18 PM

Think about how much sense that statement would have made in 1996 and how much it does now. Wow.

And leave SeanO alone. I like him and he's doing enough damage to himself as it is.

devilmaster
04-26-05, 01:11 AM
Please tell how that is any different that what O'Gorman posted.

It isn't.

Re-read my post again. My post was to Jerry (aka DJDrO), and telling him not to apologise and the reasons why he shouldn't have to.

Nowhere in my post does it say, or attempt to say: 'Hey sean, you shouldn't say that.'

DjDrOmusic
04-26-05, 07:49 PM
Please everybody, I didn't mean to start an argument. Not every idea is a good one, I just offered what I felt was the one thing TG couldn't counter, not that he could counter the fact that attendance will suffer if his traveling band of garbage takes the date.

Sean O'Gorman
04-26-05, 08:18 PM
Ok, my first reply might've been a bit harsh, but I didn't see where there is any value in moving the LBGP to Memorial Day weekend other than to please a few hundred hardcore TG haters.

devilmaster
04-26-05, 08:24 PM
Please everybody, I didn't mean to start an argument.

Jerry, you didn't start an argument.

JT265
04-26-05, 08:45 PM
Not every idea is a good one,

Truer words were never spoken. For example.....

"Hey MA!!!!! How 'bout we free up 1/2 a billion?!?!?!? We can start our own series, our own cars, short trackers and control the sanctity of the speedway!!!! We can get rid of those CART leaches, and the world will revere us!!!! It will be HUGE!!!!!!" ;)

fourrunner
04-26-05, 09:09 PM
Truer words were never spoken. For example.....

"Hey MA!!!!! How 'bout we free up 1/2 a billion?!?!?!? We can start our own series, our own cars, short trackers and control the sanctity of the speedway!!!! We can get rid of those CART leaches, and the world will revere us!!!! It will be HUGE!!!!!!" ;)

Of course waited to ask that question till after the Fifth of Johnny Walker ! ;)

Rocketdoc
04-27-05, 07:45 PM
Ok, my first reply might've been a bit harsh, but I didn't see where there is any value in moving the LBGP to Memorial Day weekend other than to please a few hundred hardcore TG haters.

Sean,

A few hundred?

Why do you think the hatred and disgust for George has been carried this far? Most of the people on this and most other Champ Car sites used to love the Indy 500. I wish I still could.

The Champ Car fan base seems to hate Tony George with a passion that approaches how the last generation of Jews feel about Hitler.

Now I'm not saying that that is the best comparison, nor am I making "light" of the acts of that satanic creature. And that goes for Hitler too.

Look, Tony George's ego brought on this mess, and now it's coming around to hit him in the arse.

He started it, and he's responsible for all of the hatred that has been generated to date.

Personally, having gone to the first US 500, and enjoying myself with over 104,000 other people who decided the IRL 500 was a shame, I think that eventually, Champ Car should indeed place a good, Hallmark" type of race, opposite the IRL 500.

DagoFast
04-27-05, 10:40 PM
Sean,

A few hundred?

Why do you think the hatred and disgust for George has been carried this far? Most of the people on this and most other Champ Car sites used to love the Indy 500. I wish I still could.

The Champ Car fan base seems to hate Tony George with a passion that approaches how the last generation of Jews feel about Hitler.

Now I'm not saying that that is the best comparison, nor am I making "light" of the acts of that satanic creature. And that goes for Hitler too.

Look, Tony George's ego brought on this mess, and now it's coming around to hit him in the arse.

He started it, and he's responsible for all of the hatred that has been generated to date.

Personally, having gone to the first US 500, and enjoying myself with over 104,000 other people who decided the IRL 500 was a shame, I think that eventually, Champ Car should indeed place a good, Hallmark" type of race, opposite the IRL 500.

Amen.

formulaben
04-28-05, 01:51 AM
I'm still so disappointed that there is no U.S. 500, or at least something to compete with the Indy 497.5.