PDA

View Full Version : CBS not Speed this week

dando
04-17-05, 11:39 PM
Cripes. This is one of the weeks that CBS is carrying F1 tape-delayed. :( Tune in @ 1pm EST to catch the race broadcast. :thumdown:

-Kevin

JohnHKart
04-18-05, 12:53 AM
Oh great....here we go back to 2002 again with ABC.....Sucks!

John

gjc2
04-18-05, 07:40 AM
Isn't the race going to be live a 7:00AM? If not that really stinks.

George

Jervis Tetch 1
04-18-05, 10:10 AM
I just hope it won't be heavily edited. Who are the announcers? Surely not Economaki.

RusH
04-18-05, 10:35 AM
I just hope it won't be heavily edited. Who are the announcers? Surely not Economaki.

I`m hoping for DW and Jimmy Spenser :gomer:

TedN
04-18-05, 12:25 PM
Since the NASCAR race from Phoenix next weekend is on Saturday night, maybe CBS figured they would get a bigger audience for F1 by broadcasting in daytime prime time. Luckily for us Canucks, TSN will continue to carry the live ITV feed.

Speaking of CBS, anyone else notice that although this network showed the ALMS race live yesterday, the leadoff story on their auto racing webpage was THIS (http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/)

Ted

:shakehead

eiregosod
04-18-05, 03:05 PM
Live on two broadcasters, so whenone goes to commercial, can flip stations and keep in touch without interruptions. also get practice/quals, with analysis from gary Anderson :thumbup:

oddlycalm
04-18-05, 03:23 PM
Cripes. This is one of the weeks that CBS is carrying F1 tape-delayed. :( Tune in @ 1pm EST to catch the race broadcast. :thumdown: It sucks. Prepare for pre-emtions, idiotic commentary and missing large chunks of the race just on the off chance that there are a half-million people out there that don't know what they are watching, but are too lazy to change channels. :shakehead

oc

cameraman
04-18-05, 06:17 PM
San Marino GP on Speed broadcast schedule.

Friday 8AM eastern San Marino practice live
Friday 2PM eastern San Marino practice repeat
Friday 8:30 PM eastern Inside Grand Prix-San Marino
Friday 9PM eastern San Marino practice repeat

Saturday 7AM eastern San Marino Qualifying session 1 live
Saturday 1:30PM eastern San Marino Qualifying session 1 repeat
Saturday 12:30PM eastern Inside Grand Prix-San Marino repeat

Sunday 2AM eastern San Marino Practice repeat
Sunday 3AM eastern San Marino Qualifying session 1 repeat
Sunday 4:30AM Inside Grand Prix-San Marino repeat
Sunday 12:00PM San Marino Qualifying session 2 SDD

Friday April 29 midnight eastern San Marino Race rebroadcast

Beevis
04-18-05, 06:25 PM
Speaking of CBS, anyone else notice that although this network showed the ALMS race live yesterday, the leadoff story on their auto racing webpage was THIS (http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/)

Ted

:shakeheadDepender. . is that you in disguise? The Texas race was the most important race of the weekend, why wouldn't it lead the Web coverage? (Please don't answer with any of that "partner" crap or we will KNOW you're Depender.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-19-05, 04:28 PM
I still have the classic 1986 Detroit Grand Prix when it was done live.

Economaki asked race winner Ayrton Senna about a flat tire during the race and how it affected him.

Senna's classic response: "Oh that flat tire. ***** up everything!"

One of those great moments in television. :laugh:

oddlycalm
04-20-05, 06:56 PM
Economaki asked race winner Ayrton Senna about a flat tire during the race and how it affected him. Almost as funny as the decision to send Econamaki to cover an F1 race. :D

oc

Napoleon
04-24-05, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know why its on CBS?

Is TG buying time on a network to promote F1 and by extention his F1 race?

The Doctor
04-24-05, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know why its on CBS?

Is TG buying time on a network to promote F1 and by extention his F1 race?

It's Bernie and this new promotion group (who's name I've forgotten) exercising their clause in the Speed contract to put races on network TV if they can get networks to air the races. Trying to draw in a bigger audience.

oddlycalm
04-24-05, 10:26 AM
Potentially the race of the year, and we have to wait around for hours to see how badly the cretins at CBS and their idiot affiliates will mangle the broadcast. :thumdown:

oc

dando
04-24-05, 02:40 PM
Not awful, but definitely not up the Speed's standards. No reporter in the paddock, and pre-race part was definitely lacking. :thumdown:

-Kevin

trish
04-24-05, 02:45 PM
I thought they did a great job.

Dr. Corkski
04-24-05, 02:47 PM
I would rather hear David Hobbs babble on in French than to hear a single word out of DD's mouth. :thumdown:

Rogue Leader
04-24-05, 02:49 PM
IMO Not bad at all, while Sheheens pronunciations kinda suck, it was still pretty good.

Also this was possibly the best race to have on network TV, I mean if theres ever a time to increase awareness of racng outside of NASCAR, having possibly the most exciting finish in recent memory definutely helped.

ALso curious that of the 4 Network races here in the US... none of them are the USGP?!?!

cameraman
04-24-05, 03:06 PM
That was very well done. They fit it to the broadcast window very well.

The commentary was designed for people who are new to F1, they were covering basic F1 details trying to build an audience. It was too basic for those of us who have watched Speed for years but by network standards there really are not that many of us.

eiregosod
04-24-05, 03:06 PM
Stupidity award for TV broadcast cockup goes to ITV. For taking an ad break with 3 laps to go!

(thier offciial line for not having their required number of breaks was due to the fact they didnt want to put a break in midrace with all the action going on)

dando
04-24-05, 03:07 PM
ALso curious that of the 4 Network races here in the US... none of them are the USGP?!?!

As in sell more tix. :shakehead

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
04-24-05, 03:12 PM
The only beef I had was with Daly speculating on the power of the engines as if it was fact. "The Renault is the second most powerful engine, the Ferrari third" etc.

Anteater
04-24-05, 03:44 PM
To my surprise, I enjoyed the broadcast, except when they took the afore-mentioned ad break near the end. And when Ralph did the golf update, my husband and I shouted in unison "WE DON'T CARE!!!!!!"

Racing Truth
04-24-05, 04:22 PM
I would rather hear David Hobbs babble on in French than to hear a single word out of DD's mouth. :thumdown:

"Hold on to your hollyhocks!" :gomer:

Oh, and I think we all know how to access the "Auto Racing" section of CBSSportsline after Ralph told us five times.

But not bad, overall.

NismoZ
04-24-05, 05:49 PM
I echo some of your arguments on both sides of the TV issue, but it is the RACE I applaud. I was one of many who had become quite bored with F-1 in recent years, wondering when someone would beat Ferrari, and, wonder of wonders, I found myself pulling for Schumacher to do what seemed impossible (ultimately it was, I guess) but I'll certainly be watching F-1 in Spain. Now THAT'S a change, and I'd guess I'm not the only one. RACING in F-!! Who's idea was this, anyway? :)

eiregosod
04-24-05, 06:11 PM

Oh, and I think we all know how to access the "Auto Racing" section of CBSSportsline after Ralph told us five times.

But not bad, overall.

is Hold Onto Your Hollyhocks the equivalent of Boogity Boogity Boogity? ;)

The Spanish GP will be mental! 100k supporters for Alonso,

oddlycalm
04-24-05, 08:38 PM
Could have been a lot worse, but it could have been a lot better. DD at least knew what was going on, even if he is hard to listen to for a whole race.

Shaheen clearly didn't know what was going on, and his contribution mostly amounted to blurting out blatantly obvious or inconsequential details as well as the inevitable network filler. Did anyone else feel that Shaheen appeared to have started out calling the race, and during the opening laps when it was obvious he couldn't manage it they had DD took over? They could have brought in Rick Benjamin and gotten the same blank stares and long silences I imagine. I'm not anti-Ralph, but I was left wondering what he was there for.

oc

JohnHKart
04-25-05, 06:12 AM

But not bad, overall.

Ah the beauty of watching racing on DVD Harddrive, I never heard that. With all racing, Nascar included I fastforward till all that crap washes off the screen, (ads, promotions for stuff like that, Coke driver bs, etc) then I know we're back to the race broadcast.

John

JohnHKart
04-25-05, 06:15 AM
Could have been a lot worse, but it could have been a lot better. DD at least knew what was going on, even if he is hard to listen to for a whole race.

Shaheen clearly didn't know what was going on, and his contribution mostly amounted to blurting out blatantly obvious or inconsequential details as well as the inevitable network filler. Did anyone else feel that Shaheen appeared to have started out calling the race, and during the opening laps when it was obvious he couldn't manage it they had DD took over? They could have brought in Rick Benjamin and gotten the same blank stares and long silences I imagine. I'm not anti-Ralph, but I was left wondering what he was there for.

oc

I didn't notice what you mention and thought he was ok.....but I don't miss him at all on the WRC broadcasts. Shaheen really has no place in calling any kind of Eurosport. Stick him back on Nascar as I'm sure he knows every crewmember on all 43 cars.

John