PDA

View Full Version : Austin City Limits Music Festival

Ankf00
04-17-05, 10:09 PM
Black Crowes just announced :cool:

plus Oasis, Coldplay, Jet, The Thermals, and Ditty Bops :cool:

this year's going to be all kinds of kick ass.

lone_groover
04-17-05, 10:18 PM
HA HA.....Black Crowes.

Thanks to these idjets, those retards AEROSMITH are only second crappiest ROLLING STONES imitators out there turning out bad guano.

:thumdown:

chop456
04-18-05, 01:28 AM
The Black Crowes were the worst live show I've ever seen - bar none.

Paintergeek
04-18-05, 08:27 AM
musical preference aside, I think its hard to say that a band thats been around for as long as aerosmith has is a 'rolling stones rip-off' band. Welome to 40 years later, dude. Maybe the frist few years, there were stones rip-offs out there, But I think aerosmith has been doing this long enough to not be a rip-off of ANYONE. So When was the stones last #1?? Oh./.....Start me up, in like, 81? Yeah, If I were in a band, Id be ripping THEM off, right? ;)

If you ask me, The stone, Smith, and crows can ALL board a plane to nowhere and never come back and it wouldnt hurt my feelings any. And in first class on the way down, Id really like Creed,(or any member from them), Evenascence, and nickelback.

Ankf00
04-18-05, 07:32 PM

I know someone who's never seen Weezer. :gomer:

Ankf00
05-04-05, 10:10 PM
ALL YOUR JAMS ARE BELONG TO ME!

BEHOLD, THE AUSTIN CITY LIMITS FESTIVAL LINEUP :cool:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000910833

Coldplay, Wilco, Widespread Panic, Oasis, the Black Crowes, Jimmy Cliff, Death Cab For Cutie, the Allman Brothers Band and Franz Ferdinand lead the lineup for the fourth Austin City Limits Music Festival, which will be announced tomorrow (May 5). The event will be held Sept. 23-25 in the city's Zilker Park.

More than 130 bands are confirmed for the festival's eight stages, including Lyle Lovett, Lucinda Williams, John Prine, the Arcade Fire, Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Buddy Guy, Jet, Dierks Bentley, Gov't Mule, the Black Keys, Sleater-Kinney, Doves, Keane and Robert Earl Keen.

I pwn. http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/smokin.gif

SteveH
05-04-05, 11:08 PM
Hey, be careful who you're dissing. Aren't the Crowes playing at Carb Day? :gomer:

racer2c
05-04-05, 11:14 PM
Oasis is still together? :rolleyes:

Ankf00
05-04-05, 11:18 PM
Oasis is still together? :rolleyes:
hater. :gomer:

doves, arcade fire, decemberists, thermals, franz, kasabian, walkmen, secret machines, sleater-kinney, kasabian, BLOC ****ING PARTY, deathcab, wilco, the futureheads, the fiery furnaces, robert randolph, and ditty bops will rock your pants off :gomer:

and they got zykos, soundteam, south austin jug band, SPOON and other kick ass local acts :cool:

racer2c
05-04-05, 11:22 PM
hater. :gomer:

The drummer and bass player should replace the 'brothers' with the Gallager brothers. You know, the guys that smash watermelons.

The funny thing is, in '97 when my band was still doing the club circuit, we played a half dozen or so Oasis songs. Heck, I thought they were the next Beatles. I drink a lot. :)

Ankf00
05-04-05, 11:25 PM
come to Austin and drink all day in the park for 3 straight days while you roast in the sun ;) oh ya, and jam out :)

the guy who owns/runs that whole austin city limits festival actually owns a couple of TOP NOTCH clubs here in dallas, been spending 'bout half my time down there since I came here, all the kick ass acts come through here when they're going through Austin too... (everyone ignores houston :saywhat: ), and this may/june/july are packed with dates, but back to the point.. the same dude through his company is doing the same style festival in chicago, so you midwesterners are gonna have a kick ass 3 day fest with badass acts and local flavor of your own next year :cool:

racer2c
05-04-05, 11:29 PM
hater. :saywhat:

doves, arcade fire, decemberists, thermals, spoon, kasabian, walkmen, secret machines, sleater-kinney, kasabian, BLOC ****ING PARTY, deathcab, wilco, the futureheads, the fiery furnaces, robert randolph, and ditty bops will rock your pants off :gomer:

and they got zykos, soundteam, south austin jug band, and other kick ass local acts :cool:

Wilco = good.

There was a time when I was playing in a band, living in New Orleans, that we would take trips over to Austin. It was intimidating, you had to be good, no, strike that, you had to be great, to play in Austin. That was many, many years ago. I still prefer Austin country to any other type of country. One of the few country artists that I truly respect is Kelly Willis. I think she epitomizes the Austin country sound and she never compromised that for the flashy Nashville crap which hurt her career. She could have been huge.

Ankf00
05-04-05, 11:41 PM
Nashville sucks so many of them in and turns em into jokes :flame:
@$@#$#@!$#%$#@^#@%@!#$

good that she stayed away :)

Ryan Adams dude, COLD ROSES, alt-country... such a ****ing good double disc set...

wish ACLFest was bringing in Ryan Adams and Eels, oh well, Doves and Arcade Fire will have to do :D

cart7
05-05-05, 05:18 AM
Coldplay, Wilco, Widespread Panic, Oasis, the Black Crowes, Jimmy Cliff, Death Cab For Cutie, the Allman Brothers Band and Franz Ferdinand lead the lineup for the fourth Austin City Limits Music Festival, which will be announced tomorrow (May 5). The event will be held Sept. 23-25 in the city's Zilker Park.

In 10 years or less, half these guys will have their own dinner theatre in Branson. Yayyyyyy. :p

Ankf00
05-05-05, 08:03 AM
so? they're gonna be rocking Zilker Park next year :p

extramundane
05-05-05, 12:49 PM
doves, arcade fire, decemberists, thermals, franz, kasabian, walkmen, secret machines, sleater-kinney, kasabian, BLOC ****ING PARTY, deathcab, wilco, the futureheads, the fiery furnaces, robert randolph, and ditty bops will rock your pants off :gomer:

I saw the Fiery Furnaces about 2 years ago, before they "hit"- worst live performance I've ever seen in my life (well, by anyone who wasn't Cat Power). Whoever let them open for Crooked Fingers and Spoon should have been shot.

KaBoom21
05-05-05, 02:37 PM
Holy motherload, Batman!

The complete lineup is as follows:

Coldplay
Widespread Panic
Oasis
The Black Crowes
The Allman Brothers
Wilco
Lyle Lovett
Lucinda Williams
John Prine
The Arcade Fire
Robert Randolph & the Family Band
Jimmy Cliff
Buddy Guy
Jet
Dierks Bentley
Death Cab For Cutie
Bob Mould
Built To Spill
Bloc Party
Steve Earle and the Dukes
Franz Ferdinand
Gov't Mule
Sleater-Kinney
Kasabian
Zap Mama
Robert Earl Keen
Keane
Tortoise
Doves
The Black Keys
Mike Gordon and Leo Kottke
The Walkmen
Jason Mraz
Rilo Kiley
Spoon
Secret Machines
The Decemberists
The Bravery
Eisley
Blue October
Grupo Fantasma
Kermit Ruffins
The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Bettye Lavette
Rev. Dan Willis & the All Nations Choir
Ricardo Lemvo & Makina Loca
Ruthie Foster
deSoL
The Frames
Mates of State
Mindy Smith
Martin Sexton
The Fiery Furnaces
Federico Aubele
Mouse On Mars
The Futureheads
Kathleen Edwards
Asleep at the Wheel
M83
Tegan and Sara
Mike Doughty
Split Lip Rayfield
Rachael Yamagata
Bobby Bare Jr.
Mofro
Ditty Bops
The New Amsterdams
Ambulance Ltd.
Slightly Stoopid
Dios Malos
Brave Combo
Aqualung
Dave Alvin
Marc Broussard
Bruce Robison
Missy Higgins
Nine Black Alps
Kevin Fowler
Grady
Willy Mason
The Weary Boys
Wayne Hancock
Rick Trevino
Zykos
Soundteam
The Asylum Street Spankers
Pong
Oliver Future
The Real Heroes
Bukka Allen
Hairy Apes
The Lost Trailers
The Gospel Stars
Donna the Buffalo
The Shields Of Faith
Star Kid's Yoga
The Jones Family Singers
South Austin Jug Band
The Lighthouse Singers
Casey McPherson
Kacy Crowley
Tristen Prettyman
The Massacoustics
Joe McDermott
Sara Hickman
The Imagination Movers
Free Sol
Inara George
KJAE
Austin Hartley-Leonard
Maneja Beto
Austin Collins Band
The Biscuit Brothers
Naturally 7
Patrick Davis Band
November
Kelly Hunt
Thievery Corporation
Kate York

Ankf00
05-05-05, 08:13 PM
tix are $95 for 3 days and Austin's got pretty cheap hotels and pretty good public transit access to the park, plus it's right across the river from downtown...

:cool:

skaven
05-05-05, 08:45 PM
There are some bands in there I'd like to add to my spreadsheet of live shows. :thumbup:

Three days of "fairground food" is hard to stomach though. Better hope they have a Falafal Stand. :gomer:

Ankf00
05-05-05, 09:30 PM
d00d, austin f00d pwnz, the local restaurants set up shop at the 'grounds... plus you're a quick walk from some famous Austin joints on that side of the river too, so fear not. the local beer and local food is flowing all weekend long :cool:

and I lied apparently, the ACLFest organizer actually bought lollapalooza and had it going at Chicago THIS year...

Ankf00
09-26-05, 10:55 PM
I saw the Fiery Furnaces about 2 years ago, before they "hit"- worst live performance I've ever seen in my life (well, by anyone who wasn't Cat Power). Whoever let them open for Crooked Fingers and Spoon should have been shot.

Fiery Furnaces kicked total and complete ass. As did Buddy Guy (best of runner up, it's funny how he can rock harder than all these performers 30 years his junior... the man owns the stage), Robert Randolph (will he ever have a bad show?), Arcade Fire (best of festival), Decemberists, Wilco, Kaiser Chiefs, Lucinda Williams, Bloc Party, What Made Milwaukee Famous, Kate Earl (ok, so it's b/c she's cute), Tristan Prettyman (alright, so the same applies again, tell me you wouldn't want this http://aclfest.com/Images/Gallery/4/Tristan_PrettymanDSC_4711a.jpg), Black Keys, The Walkmen, Grupo Fantasma, Built to Spill, Doves, M83 (who knew frogs could rock?), Keane, St.James, and Rilo Kiley... even coldplay was great, and I don't think they're that great; live however, Chris Martin's like Bono on stage, just kickin gass, plus he thinks Arcade Fire are the best around, which makes him smart ;)

Jet blew goats, not unexpected mind you, but Oasis was even worse which was a surprise, Franz was boring as all hell, as were Allman bro's and Steve Earl...

Kathleen Edwards' wussy canuckistani ass cancelled though, hurricanes schmurricanes.

Three days of "fairground food" is hard to stomach though. Better hope they have a Falafal Stand.
nope, had gyros though. whoever invited starbucks to set up shop with the rest of the Austin eats at Zillker Park ought to be shot though...

108 degrees on Sunday, w00t. 11 hours of unending sunlight... and all the dust and dirt in the air anyone would ever want to breath, I think I'm going to stay sick for the next week while the lungs try to ooze out 5 pounds of austin dirt...

dando
09-27-05, 10:51 PM
even coldplay was great, and I don't think they're that great; live however, Chris Martin's like Bono on stage, just kickin gass
:Chills: Teemu told me basically the same thing about Coldplay this evening.....r u part Finnish? :gomer: :D

-Kevin

devilmaster
09-27-05, 11:03 PM
After a quick scan of the list:

John Prine
Steve Earle
Robert Earl Keen
Dave Alvin

That'd be my must see

Ankf00
09-27-05, 11:08 PM
After a quick scan of the list:

John Prine
Steve Earle
Robert Earl Keen
Dave Alvin

That'd be my must see

-Prine was pretty funny and pretty good, caught part of his act.
-Steve Earl left much to be desired unfortunately, Kate Earl's another matter ;)
-REK I passed up for Lucinda Williams b/c he's Texas country and as such plays around here all the time, Lucinda did not disappoint, especially considering it was Friday afternoon.
-Haven't heard Alvin....

no I'm not part Finnish, I am pro-Finnish/Indian offspring though :D

IlliniRacer
09-27-05, 11:30 PM

2nd worst for me - I had the misfortune of watching Soul Asylum stumble (literally) through 45 mins of complete drunken rubbish.

Wilco = good.
Amen to that! I've seen them at least a dozen times and they never dissappointed. Nearly flunked out of school doing too many road trips to Columbia, Ames, Carbondale and such watching Tweedy and Farrar do their stuff. When I wasn't traversing the Midwest to see Uncle Tupelo, I was usually in a drunken stuper at Mabel's in Champaign listening to Jay Bennet in Titanic Love Affair.

plus Oasis, Coldplay, Jet, The Thermals, and Ditty Bops
"Know how I knew you were gay? You like Coldplay. "

chop456
09-28-05, 01:59 AM
"Know how I knew you were gay? You like Coldplay. "

:laugh:

Ankf00
09-28-05, 02:15 AM
meh, say what you want, like I said I'm not a big fan of theirs, but their show is pretty damn solid.

but not as solid as Tristan...
http://www.wma.com/tristan_prettyman/imgs/tristan_prettyman_main.jpg

:D

TKGAngel
09-28-05, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=Ankf00]

nope, had gyros though. whoever invited starbucks to set up shop with the rest of the Austin eats at Zillker Park ought to be shot though...

QUOTE]

Ank, I seriously think Starbucks owns the world. At the Taste of Buffalo, they were the only "chain" restaurant to have a presence amongst the local restaurants. They were even at the Cleveland race handing out free samples (which I admit I was not complaining about an iced coffee on a 90 degree day).

Sounds like you had a good time and had some great music to boot. Thanks for the report.

Elmo T
09-28-05, 09:29 AM
A new favorite in our house, though we've yet to hear her live...

http://www.alt-tickets.co.uk/bands/missy_big.gif

Cam
09-28-05, 10:26 AM
A new favorite in our house, though we've yet to hear her live...

http://www.alt-tickets.co.uk/bands/missy_big.gif

Finally the Aussie sensation is breaking thru here! w00t! Great voice on this girl! :thumbup:

rosawendel
09-28-05, 10:27 AM
Ryan Adams dude, COLD ROSES, alt-country... such a ****ing good double disc set...

personal opinion (your opinion may vary): prolific as the man is, i'm just not a fan of his latest... seems to be embracing the country side of the fence of late. i liked him better when he was straddling the fence more; dabbling from hither to yon. i've heard he has (yet another) album coming out... come back, ryan, come back.

looking forward to the wilco, and the spoon. good to see bob mould and m. doughty are still kicking around.

fave m. doughty moment from days of yore: playing at the euclid tavern. end of the show, the crowd calls for "freebird". m. doughty stops the show. "look, people. we had an understanding: you don't say 'freebird', and we don't say 'hello cleveland'. you got it?"

what, no pete yorn? what a weak lineup. :p

Ankf00
09-28-05, 11:16 AM
he's from carolina, country is what happens :p Jacksonville City Nights is a return to his original style from heartbreaker so you probably won't like it... he'll have a third album released before the year's out, the man oozes music apparently.

and, c'mon, Peter Yorn is soooooooooooo 2001 :gomer: :D

rosawendel
09-28-05, 12:04 PM
i like heartbreaker.
any album that begins with an argument about morrissey can't be that bad.