PDA

View Full Version : Oh not again

Pages : 1 [2]

stroker
04-20-05, 11:57 AM
Getting back to the Tobacco legislation--how much is that based on the success or failure of the EU to ratify? If the EU goes down the schitter, then what, if anything, happens to all these regulations?

nrc
04-20-05, 12:05 PM
Getting back to the Tobacco legislation--how much is that based on the success or failure of the EU to ratify? If the EU goes down the schitter, then what, if anything, happens to all these regulations?

It's not connected at all. The regulations impacting sponsorship in the U.S. are based on a settlement between the States and tobacco manufacturers.

Spicoli
04-20-05, 12:28 PM
It's not connected at all. The regulations impacting sponsorship in the U.S. are based on a settlement between the States and tobacco manufacturers.

Big settlement with a collective group of Attorney's General. The penalties paid by the tobacco companies are supposed to go to:

1. Education on "don;t start smoking"

2. State healthcare to pay for the dumb****s who kept smoking and now have to be cared for with state funds.

I quit almost 2 years ago. one of the hardest things I ever did. Haven;t picked one - not one - up. Screw those tobacco companies. They sell a deadly, extremely addictiove product. But screw the governement even more - they want to regulate, so they can tax. just like gambling - "don;t do it", but if you do "we want a piece of the action".

Lies, lots of lies.

Sean O'Gorman
04-20-05, 03:35 PM
I quit almost 2 years ago. one of the hardest things I ever did. Haven;t picked one - not one - up. Screw those tobacco companies. They sell a deadly, extremely addictiove product. But screw the governement even more - they want to regulate, so they can tax. just like gambling - "don;t do it", but if you do "we want a piece of the action".

Lies, lots of lies.

Glad to see that quitting smoking hasn't made you an irritable person like it did with most quitters. :D

skaven
04-20-05, 03:41 PM
Glad to see that quitting smoking hasn't made you an irritable person like it did with most quitters. :D

That's funny. :D

By the way, when did you quit smoking? ;)

Newtpal
04-20-05, 03:49 PM
But screw the governement even more - they want to regulate, so they can tax. just like gambling - "don;t do it", but if you do "we want a piece of the action".

Lies, lots of lies.

Exactly. The government has sold taxation of tobacco using two arguments:
- a way to pay for state supported health care for people who have smoked
- an incentive to get people to stop smoking

but it has turned into a painless way for the government to bring in more money. No matter what the tax is on tobacco, people won't quit smoking, making their second argument just plain stupid. Then, they've used the taxes to pay for things not even related to smoking such as stadiums, education, etc. that if all of a sudden everyone stopped smoking, the state and city/county governments would be in a world of hurt. The government and the tobacco companies are both evil bastards here.

As for gambling, here in Ohio the politicians are against gambling but we have a state-run lottery. How moronic is that? But thats ok because the money goes to the schools... yeah right.

Sean O'Gorman
04-20-05, 03:50 PM
That's funny. :D

By the way, when did you quit smoking? ;)

Never started, maybe that is my problem. :D

Spicoli
04-20-05, 04:23 PM

**** you. I'm just a hater by nature. :gomer:

Rocketdoc
04-20-05, 05:25 PM
"Get everyone together and find someone who has a long-time vested interest in the health of AOWR and wouldn't mind running the series."

Teddy Mayer
Mario (I know, not gonna happen)
Greg Penske (Roger's right hand man and a known quantiity/quality)
Roger Penske (A swan song; a graceful exit from car ownership, and it ain't gonna happen)
Ziggy
Me

TorontoWorker
04-20-05, 09:53 PM

You are correct that the sponsorship issues such as what Roger has to deal with do pre-date the goals of the WHO.

However, since this US settlement was signed, which was basicly a plea agreement in effect - things have changed on a Global scale. The ROTW (including the EU) will go it alone without the USA if it comes down to it. We don't live in the same world we did 20 years ago.

I don't think a non tobacco, multi-national company, based in the US wants to have the images of their companies logo's suddenly knocked off the airwaves worldwide - because a tobacco company two stalls down pitlane could give a **** about hooking kids on smoking. As we see in NASCAR which has for the most part kicked the habit - new sponsors who would never be in their series because of tobacco have joined them and more then made up for the impact of tobacco leaving.

mueber
04-21-05, 08:45 AM
"Get everyone together and find someone who has a long-time vested interest in the health of AOWR and wouldn't mind running the series."

Teddy Mayer
Mario (I know, not gonna happen)
Greg Penske (Roger's right hand man and a known quantiity/quality)
Roger Penske (A swan song; a graceful exit from car ownership, and it ain't gonna happen)
Ziggy
Me

I vote for Ziggy. The Penske's proved a long time ago that they don't give a rat's behind about the long term health of anything but their wallets.

trauma1
04-21-05, 03:40 PM
:rofl: i vote for KK and GF who have a vested interest and love of racing, FRP and his marlboro men only care about the $$$$$$$$$$, anyone who had earl ties goes home, 2 spicoli for ceo, i want free beer, topless gridgirls.