PDA

View Full Version : I bumped into a Champ Car Fan at a red light (not literally)

Chitowncartfreak
04-16-05, 10:18 PM
I have to pass along this story - it made my day. I'm coming home from the gym in my Chevy Silverado, driving around the beautiful (whatever) Chicago suburb of Buffalo Grove. I'm wearing my 2001 Sigma T-shirt and listening to my Sounds of Champ Car Test Sessions CD at a rather loud volume. As I'm sitting at the red light, I hear someone to my left yell out, "Champ Car!" I look and see a black car decked out with one of the old Fed Ex CART stickers. The driver is giving me a big thumbs up for my choice of CD. I gave a thumbs up in return. Would have liked to have had a Champ Car discussion, but the light changed. So if the person who made my day is a fellow OC'er, thanks for making my day. :thumbup:

RTKar
04-16-05, 11:19 PM
Wasn't me but a few weeks ago I ran into a guy who was wearing a Champcar jacket at Bass Pro Shop. Naturally I struck up a conversation. It's always cool to see another fan.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-16-05, 11:23 PM
I've got one of those Sigma shirts. Couldn't have been me though as I live in LA and haven't been to Chicago since the 2002 race.

Is Buffalo Grove a northwest suburb? Anywhere near Barrington? My grandparents used to live in Barrington.

Chitowncartfreak
04-17-05, 11:13 AM
I've got one of those Sigma shirts. Couldn't have been me though as I live in LA and haven't been to Chicago since the 2002 race.

Is Buffalo Grove a northwest suburb? Anywhere near Barrington? My grandparents used to live in Barrington.

Technically, it's a northern suburb. It's in the vicinity of Wheeling and Deerfield - just to the west of I-94 between Lake Cook and Half Day roads.

rocket
04-17-05, 12:49 PM
I have to pass along this story - it made my day. I'm coming home from the gym in my Chevy Silverado, driving around the beautiful (whatever) Chicago suburb of Buffalo Grove. I'm wearing my 2001 Sigma T-shirt and listening to my Sounds of Champ Car Test Sessions CD at a rather loud volume. As I'm sitting at the red light, I hear someone to my left yell out, "Champ Car!" I look and see a black car decked out with one of the old Fed Ex CART stickers. The driver is giving me a big thumbs up for my choice of CD. I gave a thumbs up in return. Would have liked to have had a Champ Car discussion, but the light changed. So if the person who made my day is a fellow OC'er, thanks for making my day. :thumbup:

That was erock, (pretty sure anyway) he was on his way to meet me for dinner and beers then checking out Sin City. He told me the story when he showed up. Also got a nice rundown of the LBGP activities, discussed locking down the travel plans for Toronto this year.

devilmaster
04-17-05, 01:33 PM
I have only one question in all of this......

Why wasn't there any racing out of the pits when the green came out? :confused:

Ankf00
04-17-05, 01:53 PM

this is why I like Steve, he's perceptive :)

Chitowncartfreak
04-17-05, 02:00 PM

Would have been nice, but he turned left - I went straight.

Dirty Sanchez
04-17-05, 03:09 PM
there are quite a few of us in and around chicago :thumbup:

dude in my hood drives an old 528 bimmer with "Senna 94" plates and champ car stickers on the window. seen the car at Road America a few times. not anymore I guess :rolleyes:

RaceChic
04-17-05, 03:17 PM
That was erock, < SNIP> discussed locking down the travel plans for Toronto this year.

Bring it. :thumbup:

:D

Opposite Lock
04-17-05, 03:18 PM
I saw a runner in a Senna shirt last week while biking the lakefront path around McCormick Place. :thumbup:

And IIRC from last year at Road America, erock's sticker collection has one something to the effect of "If you can read this, you're too smart to be an IRL fan". :rofl: :thumbup:

NismoZ
04-17-05, 05:21 PM
My NW Suburb story took place at a Chevy dealership, 2 seasons ago...heard a couple of guys talking ChampCar so I just HAD to weigh in. Guy 1 was wearing a very fine Sigma jacket and talking about "HIS" team! :eek: I remember even talking about trying to stage a race at DuPage County Airport! :D Ahhh, poor, Sigma, wherefore art thou?

rocket
04-17-05, 05:44 PM
My NW Suburb story took place at a Chevy dealership, 2 seasons ago...heard a couple of guys talking ChampCar so I just HAD to weigh in. Guy 1 was wearing a very fine Sigma jacket and talking about "HIS" team! :eek: I remember even talking about trying to stage a race at DuPage County Airport! :D Ahhh, poor, Sigma, wherefore art thou?

The DuPage airport race is a pipedream (unfortunately) It would be cool though if it could ever be put together. Itss only about 15 min. from me, and Diamonds would be perfect for post track activities. BYOB... :saywhat:

Lizzerd
04-17-05, 06:14 PM
Living in Enemy Territory, I see a lot of irl stickers on cars. I often times feel like ramming them when I'm driving my ChampCar/CART-sticker-laden "Moby".

Some of you know "Moby".

Railbird
04-17-05, 08:25 PM
My Crapalier with it's tasteful ChampCar sticker in the window has drawn the occasional reaction here in Indy.

Just like online, I just smile, flip 'em off and drive away.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-17-05, 11:17 PM
I still have my F1 Fans plates (since 1988). And my old Marllboro Gerhard Berger sticker and a CART sticker that was a duplicate from Oriol Servia's Sigma car.

A good friend gave that to me and it's prominently on my bumper as a reminder of the great old days.

RTKar
04-18-05, 12:15 AM
...also, had a guy start chatting F1 with me at Border's when I was wearing a Minardi team shirt :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
04-18-05, 10:08 AM
...also, had a guy start chatting F1 with me at Border's when I was wearing a Minardi team shirt :thumbup:Now that's a true fan!

I met a guy, who later became a very good friend of mine when he was wearing a Brabham (Parmalat) sweatshirt from 1983. He was stunned I knew who they were and we chatted about F1, exchanged numbers and would take turns watching the races at each others place with various other F1 fans he and I knew.

Pretty soon there got to be about a dozen of us getting together at 5 a.m. watching races and then going to breakfast. When the race was in Detroit and Phoenix, we'd all get together and go to the event. Great days. It all ended when he moved back to Kansas and the other guys and girls got married and did their own thing.

I yearn for those days once in a while.

Andrew Longman
04-18-05, 11:48 AM
I was listening to my Sounds of Champ Car Test Sessions CD at a rather loud volume. :

I have an "Exhaust Notes" CD of Champcar. I had to stop listening to it in the car because I found it messed up my shift points and I otherwise was driving like an idiot. Oh well :gomer:

Warlock!
04-18-05, 12:14 PM
I was having DirecTV probs recently so they sent out a service guy. He pulls up in the DirecTV van and walks to the house. I have to keep my big dog from knocking him over with love. Dude has a mullet, cheesey multicolored mirrored shades (cheesier than mine, anyhow ;) ), and a mustache off a 13 year old. We check the upstairs TV. He turns it on and it had some NASCRAP s**** on Speed... he says, "God I'm sick of NASCAR". I had him pegged for a Lil' E fan :D

We go down in the basement to check out another TV when he passes my bar. I have a 7' long display case for my diecasts built into the bar. He stops and stares... "Whoa! An open wheel fan?" he says. I say "Yeah... 'cept for the IRL". He names every car/driver and year they drove it in the display. We sat and bulls****ted for 20 min about racing, before I decided he better get my frickin' DSS fixed.

Nice to fine reasonable folks out there...

pchall
04-18-05, 01:48 PM
I think you bumped into FTG and he enjoyed it. Afterall, he is clearly the biggest fan of Champcars right now -- since he wants to own it and has his checkbook instead of his middlefinger out of his pocket -- but he is still the :gomer: loser in this deal.