PDA

View Full Version : If Toyota wants to walk away after 05...

Andrew Longman
04-15-05, 03:33 PM
... but their contract runs to 06, how does that work?

By "walking away" does that mean they stop having any factory teams and covering massive driver salaries, but continue to make an engine available to anyone who will pay for it and meet their obligation to buy ad time for IRL broadcasts?

Or do they just buy out the contract?

Like any of us would actually know, but I'm looking for your typical internet fueled conjecture ;)

redmist
04-15-05, 03:57 PM
without seeing the contract who knows? could be as simple as ,(lack of ) performance clauses written into it.

JoeBob
04-15-05, 04:02 PM
They could just fulfill their minimum obligations.

If you'd like Toyota engines, you can have the same package Foyt is getting.

FTG
04-15-05, 04:20 PM
There's no way in hell that they are contractually obligated to keep pouring the yen in and subsidize teams.

Spicoli
04-15-05, 04:23 PM
Look at Chebby this year and you'll get an idea. ;)

nrc
04-15-05, 05:05 PM
I guess the question is, what kind of contracts do Toyota have with their race teams? They might be willing to go lame duck if they're only obligated to one or two small teams but would they be willing to have a half dozen Toyotas getting thrashed by Honda every weekend?

Is the rumor of Ganassi leaving based on the scenario of no engines, having to purchase engines, or just not getting as much Yen from Toyota as he's used to?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few months. I'm very hopeful that T&H will come to their senses and bail, but I'm also wary of the ferocity of their rivalry and the possibility that they're just trying to out-smart each other in their negotiations with Tony George.

Spicoli
04-15-05, 05:11 PM
I guess the question is, what kind of contracts do Toyota have with their race teams? They might be willing to go lame duck if they're only obligated to one or two small teams but would they be willing to have a half dozen Toyotas getting thrashed by Honda every weekend?

Is the rumor of Ganassi leaving based on the scenario of no engines, having to purchase engines, or just not getting as much Yen from Toyota as he's used to?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few months. I'm very hopeful that T&H will come to their senses and bail, but I'm also wary of the ferocity of their rivalry and the possibility that they're just trying to out-smart each other in their negotiations with Tony George.

No dood - they are GONE. Kirby knew EXACTLY what he was saying, and intended to say it. There's been NO rebuttal, and its the biggest news in the IRL since Sarah :gomer: Fisher.

Tony got no motors no mo.

Yoda and Honda pay 90-95% of all the teams budgets. Do you really think 7-11 is paying anything? F NO. They are the caterer to Honda factories around the globe: B2B. Target? **** - they don't even go to the races anymore. And so on. The names on the side pods don't amount to ****.

Now FTG can prop these teams up and run 20 cars if he wants, no biggie (and that is the danger, EARL won't collapse) But H & Y will leave if and when they want and there are so many damn "outs" in any of those contracts.....they could walk today - today, and there's nothing you could do.

nrc
04-15-05, 05:13 PM
Do you really think 7-11 is paying anything?
Free Big Gulps for the crew? :D

Spicoli
04-15-05, 05:14 PM
7-11: Free ticket outlet! :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 06:24 PM
One problem we could see is that even if Toyota can drop the support of all its teams, wouldn't they still need to meet the "promotional requirements" that the IRL has of its engine manufacturers?

cart7
04-15-05, 06:29 PM
One problem we could see is that even if Toyota can drop the support of all its teams, wouldn't they still need to meet the "promotional requirements" that the IRL has of its engine manufacturers?

I saw this scenario played out over on TF, Toyota merely buys TV promo time in the cheapest, crappiest slots available.

Andrew Longman
04-15-05, 06:49 PM
I saw this scenario played out over on TF, Toyota merely buys TV promo time in the cheapest, crappiest slots available.

Actually I think they are obligated to buy time during IRL telecasts. Oops, I guess that's the same thing.

Spicoli
04-15-05, 07:04 PM
Actually I think they are obligated to buy time during IRL telecasts. Oops, I guess that's the same thing.

Mr. Longman makes a funny. :rofl:

FRANKY
04-15-05, 07:40 PM
No dood - they are GONE. Kirby knew EXACTLY what he was saying, and intended to say it. There's been NO rebuttal, and its the biggest news in the IRL since Sarah :gomer: Fisher.

Tony got no motors no mo.

Yoda and Honda pay 90-95% of all the teams budgets. Do you really think 7-11 is paying anything? F NO. They are the caterer to Honda factories around the globe: B2B. Target? **** - they don't even go to the races anymore. And so on. The names on the side pods don't amount to ****.

Now FTG can prop these teams up and run 20 cars if he wants, no biggie (and that is the danger, EARL won't collapse) But H & Y will leave if and when they want and there are so many damn "outs" in any of those contracts.....they could walk today - today, and there's nothing you could do.

Let's be a little realistic about this.

If Jack Arute was sitting around wirh a couple of Lemmings and said that Ford was leaving after just one more year because that's all they signed up for would we take it as gospel?

Would Ford reply?

Even Speed Channel pulled the story, I'm not saying who will stay and who will go, but I sure don't expect Toyota or Honda or anybody else to repond to some Champ Car round table BSing on Champ Car . com.

They would be fools to reply.

cart7
04-15-05, 07:48 PM

That'll take a sales job won't it? We're Toyota, we think your league sucks, we can't wait to get out, we're only advertising here cause we have to, please buy our cars and trucks. Off to Nascar now, see ya. :gomer:

Spicoli
04-15-05, 07:52 PM
Let's be a little realistic about this.

If Jack Arute was sitting around wirh a couple of Lemmings and said that Ford was leaving after just one more year because that's all they signed up for would we take it as gospel?

Would Ford reply?

Even Speed Channel pulled the story, I'm not saying who will stay and who will go, but I sure don't expect Toyota or Honda or anybody else to repond to some Champ Car round table BSing on Champ Car . com.

They would be fools to reply.

Wake up Franky.

This is the biggest news going around Indy this week.

And its true.

FRANKY
04-15-05, 08:57 PM
Wake up Franky.

And its true.

Yawn

Yea I'm a little late. I didn't make it to the story before it was pulled.

Like I said, it would be nice to see it in print. It's not that I don't believe that it could happen, just give it some ink if it deserves it.

Too much to ask? Even a mention on Windbag works to an extent.

Spicoli
04-15-05, 09:21 PM
Yawn

Like I said, it would be nice to see it in print. It's not that I don't believe that it could happen, just give it some ink if it deserves it.

"knock knock"

"who's there?"

Gordon Kirby. :cry:

redmist
04-16-05, 04:39 AM
Yawn

franky says relax.

SurfaceUnits
04-16-05, 10:22 AM
Tony got no motors no mo.Back when yous were all giddy about the Kosworth purchase yous may have missed the news that the IRL purchased a controlling interest in Edward's Engines and Transmissions. The gomer are set for life. AJ can once again see afternoons under the shade tree, tuning quatro's roadster. :gomer:

Joelski
04-16-05, 01:31 PM

Is shat a bad word? :gomer: THat was funney!!

stroker
04-16-05, 04:22 PM
Wake up Franky.

And its true.

And Mr. Spicoli called this about 6 months ago, IIRC...

What a stud.

:)

rabbit
04-16-05, 04:30 PM
.1RL engine problems solved, 33 no longer just a number! (http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=361&cgrfnbr=592)

lone_groover
04-16-05, 09:11 PM
franky says relax.

:D :thumbup:

FRANKY
04-16-05, 10:09 PM
franky says relax.

And we all know why. Prognostication when it comes to this stuff isn't a science. A number of times it has looked like the IRL was wavering, it looked like cracks in the damn were opening up. Just as you think they'll get it, they could walk away with Long Beach and some new 2007 specs that make sense. Not saying it will or won't happen, just don't count the doilies until they are knitted.

SteveH
04-16-05, 10:24 PM
And we all know why. Prognostication when it comes to this stuff isn't a science. A number of times it has looked like the IRL was wavering, it looked like cracks in the damn were opening up. Just as you think they'll get it, they could walk away with Long Beach and some new 2007 specs that make sense. Not saying it will or won't happen, just don't count the doilies until they are knitted.

Actually the specs probably don't have much to do with whether they stick or not. Its what they get in return. Right now, that's empty stands and low TV ratings. Why would they want to invest into new technology to get basically nothing in return?

JT265
04-16-05, 10:28 PM
Actually the specs probably don't have much to do with whether they stick or not. Its what they get in return. Right now, that's empty stands and low TV ratings. Why would they want to invest into new technology to get basically nothing in return?

I posed this question to the head of IMS by email, and predictably, his answer was........

I don't know

:D

FRANKY
04-17-05, 12:18 AM

It may, it may not.

That could be true with every series but NASCAR. I don't think sponsors get anything out close to what they invest in. It's evident by the the lack of sponors for Champ Car and the IRL.

I don't think any of them should bother unless open wheel was under one roof, and thats because the pendulum keeps swinging back and forth. First CART had all the manufacturers and money, and then they lost them, then the IRL did, and they couldn't accomplish anything even with them.

Now 2007 specs will change the face of the IRL, and possibly Champ Car depending if Honda or Toyota decides to get badged as the spec motor of choice, unseating Ford. Not likely that Cosworth wants to get in a spending war with Honda, for the same reason you mention above.

It will be interesting to see what Toyota, Chevrolet and Honda does. What TG values the most between the three. Maybe TG will pull a rabbit out of the hat

http://www.videodrome.org/reviews/pics/rocky_&_bullwinkle1.jpg

Or maybe he will only do that as well as Bullwinkle. Rest assured by June 1st we should know a heck of a lot more.

trauma1
04-18-05, 09:04 AM
"It will be interesting to see what Toyota, Chevrolet and Honda does. What TG values the most between the three. Maybe TG will pull a rabbit out of the hat"

FTG is screwed IMO they will try to go to a production POS, that will wiegh a ton, down in HP and the crapwagons will look even worse, FTG will only pull crap from his hat, everything he touches goes to **** he's a moron. the yen is leaving chevy gone

pchall
04-18-05, 10:54 AM
They could just fulfill their minimum obligations.

If you'd like Toyota engines, you can have the same package Foyt is getting.

JoeBob sees the most likely scenario.

Brickman
04-18-05, 11:12 AM
JoeBob sees the most likely scenario.

Well yea. He uses both sides of his brain time and time again. Toyota isn't likely to walk on their contract. But I'm not sure the difference between Ganassi's Toyotas and Foyts. But there is a difference between the drivers.

trauma1
04-18-05, 11:20 AM
bet spicola's right look at the hand writing with yoda testing a neckcar, and no one from yooda has denied this, and honda is quiet also, something up people and it's not good for FTG :rofl: