PDA

View Full Version : Penske to field Porsche ALMS effort

extramundane
04-15-05, 10:16 AM
Didn't see that one (http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?NewsID=932) coming...

FTG
04-15-05, 10:31 AM
But I thought only Grand Am was able to attract new teams.

RusH
04-15-05, 10:36 AM
Good back-up plan Roger :D

Michaelhatesfans
04-15-05, 10:36 AM
I've heard rumors about a Porsche prototype, but certainly not with Penske. I guess the boys in Poole were getting bored staring at a crapwagon that they couldn't modify.

Andrew Longman
04-15-05, 10:46 AM
Toyota rumored to be leaving...

Chip rumored to be closing his IRL team and beefing up his Grand Am effort...

RP starting an ALMS team...

LBGP may not swtich to the IRL after all...

hmmmm

DjDrOmusic
04-15-05, 11:30 AM
Well, well...Roger has found his chair...so I guess the music will stop after that "justanumberraceforAmericanshorttrackstarsthatisthe cornerstoneoftheAllOvalLeaguthatsuddenlyneedsstree tracesandengineleaseswithforeigndriverstosurvive!" Does this mean that the Great Memorial Day Tradition will soon be an ALMS event????? :saywhat:

chop456
04-15-05, 11:34 AM
This rules on so many levels. :laugh:

DagoFast
04-15-05, 11:38 AM
I'm quite surprised that he picked ALMS. That can't make his ISC buddies happy. Unless they are counting on 'ol Rog to F it up real good, kinda like he did CART.

Maybe he just misses real racing with real race cars. But I doubt it.

Am I the only one wishing the old fooker would just hurry up and die? :mad:

chop456
04-15-05, 11:43 AM
^ That's pretty stupid.

Hmmm. Marlboro's leaving. Chip has Toyota's Grand Am money. What's a billionaire to do?

I think we can all see where this is leading. :thumbup:

JoeBob
04-15-05, 11:52 AM
Hmmm... Marlboro is gone after 2006. Toyota probably gone after 2006 (if not sooner).

Sounds like Roger found himself a plan B that keeps everyone in Reading and Poole employed.

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 11:52 AM
:thumbup:, assuming Penske wont be the only one who gets a competitive Porsche LMP.

I wonder if Doc Austin has been put on suicide watch yet? :laugh:

lone_groover
04-15-05, 11:54 AM
You people are missing the bigger picture here.

WHAT WILL BECOME OF SAM!!!!!!

:cry:

Spicoli
04-15-05, 11:57 AM
You people are missing the bigger picture here.

WHAT WILL BECOME OF SAM!!!!!!

:cry:

Hwe is meeting with Sarah tonite to discuss. :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
04-15-05, 12:08 PM
Porche to supply IRL with engines after 2006. You heard it here first!!

NismoZ
04-15-05, 12:08 PM
Sam? Maybe Rog will do a 1 car team and expand for the 500. Helio has to be salivating at the prospect of being a "Factory" Porsche driver on REAL race tracks! I will follow this with great interest!

JLMannin
04-15-05, 12:36 PM
Looks like we have found a cure for Indyitis - dumbed down chassis and engines and restrictive chassis development rules. Either that, or Roger has caught roadraceitis :D

extramundane
04-15-05, 12:47 PM
:thumbup:, assuming Penske wont be the only one who gets a competitive Porsche LMP.

They'll be the only one to have one period for 2005. There are conflicting reports on whether the full-blown customer program begins next year or 2007. Speculation has the Porsche factory effort (and Penske too?) moving to P1 once the customer program launches.

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 12:55 PM
They'll be the only one to have one period for 2005. There are conflicting reports on whether the full-blown customer program begins next year or 2007. Speculation has the Porsche factory effort (and Penske too?) moving to P1 once the customer program launches.

I'm assuming you meant 2006, not 2005?

I read somewhere (don't remember where now) that this car is like the new Lola in that it will be able to be used in both LMP1 and LMP2.

I agree, it would pretty much be stupid to expect Porsche and Penske to limit themselves to LMP2 since they'd be more suitable in LMP1. I just hope they don't end up chasing everyone out of P2.

Racing Truth
04-15-05, 01:09 PM
Good back-up plan Roger :D

Indeed. :thumbup: Glad to see Porsche back at such a level.

extramundane
04-15-05, 01:23 PM
Porche to supply IRL with engines after 2006. You heard it here first!!

They've already started:

Since it's be stated "Roger always has a chair." I wonder if the new IRL engine announcement might have something to do with it. Like maybe he heard something.

"Like maybe he heard something."

extramundane
04-15-05, 01:33 PM
I'm assuming you meant 2006, not 2005?

The cars are set to debut at Petit Le Mans this year, though they may essentially be treating PLM and Laguna Seca '05 as the first 2 events of 2006.

I read somewhere (don't remember where now) that this car is like the new Lola in that it will be able to be used in both LMP1 and LMP2.

There's been speculation to that effect, but even the Lola hasn't been run in P1 trim (in public anyway), so they may be waiting to see how that works (Intersport should have a P1-spec B05/40 by the end of the year).

I agree, it would pretty much be stupid to expect Porsche and Penske to limit themselves to LMP2 since they'd be more suitable in LMP1. I just hope they don't end up chasing everyone out of P2.

I think right now they're comfortable treating the P2 program like the GT3RSR program. I don't see Porsche letting Penske walk all over the likes of Alex Job and Petersen/White Lightning for the sake of P2 glory. P1, on the other hand...

FCYTravis
04-15-05, 02:55 PM
Great news! :thumbup:

BTW Nismo, why the hell would they put Helio in a seat? He's mediocrity at its best right now after driving in circles for a few years. Porsche has a huge lineup of young drivers that would be a much better fit than Castro-never.

eiregosod
04-15-05, 03:17 PM
I'm quite surprised that he picked ALMS. That can't make his ISC buddies happy. Unless they are counting on 'ol Rog to F it up real good, kinda like he did CART.

Maybe he just misses real racing with real race cars. But I doubt it.

Am I the only one wishing the old fooker would just hurry up and die? :mad:

I was wondering the exact same thing. Though he did run porsches in the old Can/AM . He's fully in the ISC fold, therefore doesnt need to drop a few pennies into the GrandAm hat to gain entry.

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 03:25 PM
Unless you believe the Mark C. propaganda, I can't think of any reason why the Frances would "hate" ALMS. Hell, they run at Mosport this year in Grand-Am Cup, that has to mean something.

Two different series, with two different objectives. Assuming that ALMS can ever make this factory thing work, both series should be doing just fine, so this is not like CART/IRL at all.

Spicoli
04-15-05, 03:31 PM
Isn't this all coming together so nicely.

NismoZ
04-15-05, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see that "huge" line-up of young drivers test alongside Helio. Be fun to see.

rjohnson999
04-15-05, 10:50 PM
IIRC, United Auto Group has been light in Porsche franchises. This smells like a mutual back scratching deal. Penske legitimizes the race car program and gets a couple of Porsche franchises to add to the UAG portfolio. Porsche, for the cost of a development program they need to do anyway, gets a couple more well run outlets in the U.S. and an opportunity to work the next generation on its mystique plus, sell some race cars that customers will actually want to buy.

Rogue Leader
04-16-05, 12:10 AM
all i can say is :eek:

jcollins28
04-16-05, 04:22 AM
He is also buying out the partner's in his Tin Top program;

Penske buying out Rusty and Miller? Roger Penske is buying out the 48% share of Penske South that is owned by Rusty Wallace and his long-time business manager Don Miller.(Winston Salem Journal)(4-16-2005)

chop456
04-16-05, 05:08 AM

Penske buying out Rusty and Miller? Roger Penske is buying out the 48% share of Penske South that is owned by Rusty Wallace and his long-time business manager Don Miller.(Winston Salem Journal)(4-16-2005)

Maybe those guys said they have no interest in being associated with Toyota(?)

Skater_36
04-16-05, 09:46 AM
Penske will probably bring Hornish along to nascar running Toyotas.

Penske to sportscar racing in the ALMS with Porsche is very interesting.

Accipiter
04-16-05, 10:42 AM

He just wants to stop hearing Rusty telling him to fire Newman all the time. :laugh:

Peter Venkman
04-16-05, 05:39 PM
IIRC, United Auto Group has been light in Porsche franchises. This smells like a mutual back scratching deal. Penske legitimizes the race car program and gets a couple of Porsche franchises to add to the UAG portfolio. Porsche, for the cost of a development program they need to do anyway, gets a couple more well run outlets in the U.S. and an opportunity to work the next generation on its mystique plus, sell some race cars that customers will actually want to buy.

Eight ain't enough?

Penske has had a close association with Porsche for many, many years.

rjohnson999
04-16-05, 08:35 PM
Maybe not. At some point, given the limited number of dealers, Porsche has to be worried about one company gaining virtual retail control of the product in the U.S. They tried to eliminate dealers in the U.S. altogether over a dozen years ago.

Maybe eight is the magic number/limit. Maybe there are some dealers wanting to sell out and Porsche is finding it difficult to reconcile it's principles against some of the few possible buyers. Once you face that kind of problem, the principle of limiting the number of franchises one company can hold begins to look like the lesser of two evils.

Eight ain't enough?

Penske has had a close association with Porsche for many, many years.

SurfaceUnits
05-01-05, 10:25 AM
Penske Throwing in With the Enemy?
Written by: Robin Miller Indianapolis, Ind. – 4/30/2005

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/16577/

Derrick Walker isn't one of them.

"I'd be surprised if the IRL were a fit for them (Porsche) at this time," said Walker, who ran Porsche's CART effort following Al Holbert's death and also competed in the 1989 Indy 500 with the German manufacturer.
"I still talk to those people on a regular basis and I think they're getting serious about sports cars again."

RTKar
05-01-05, 11:18 AM
Maybe those guys said they have no interest in being associated with Toyota(?)

Did a quick Google check...Wallace sells both Toyota's & Honda's :saywhat: