View Full Version : Another Clueless Article Bashing CART

sundaydriver
02-28-03, 04:20 PM
Here's the "story":

Indy Racing Series zooms by CART

By Richard Biebrich
Staff writer
Posted February 27 2003

IRL or CART? That decision has been before the open-wheel racing fan in North America since 1996, when Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Tony George formed the all-oval based Indy Racing League.

Seven years later, when the gentlemen and lady start their engines for Sunday's Toyota Indy 300 at the Homestead-Miami Speedway, they also begin the IRL's first season since the split as the dominant open-wheel series.

Starting with Marlboro Penske in 2002, more teams have made the jump from CART to IRL, bringing names such as Andretti, Franchitti, Brack and Rahal with them. Engine manufacturers have made the switch, with Toyota and Honda joining the series as engine providers this season.

And the people have voted with their wallets -- series attendance and TV ratings are up.

"The 2002 season showed a 17 percent increase on ABC and a 31 percent increase on ESPN compared to 2001," said Ken Ungar, senior vice president for the series' business affairs, during a recent teleconference. "Attendance grew 9 percent from 2001 to 2002, with some of our tracks experiencing significant growth."

With so much attention focusing on the series, the 2003 season is shaping up to be its most important since its first.

The series, which started with only two engine suppliers in Infiniti and Oldsmobile, now has three in Toyota, Honda and Chevrolet.

Most importantly of all, it has the Indianapolis 500.

Like the Kentucky Derby is to horse racing, the Indy 500 is to open-wheel, oval track racing. When CART did have the names and the manufacturers, the one thing it didn't have was the mystique of the Indy 500. Sure, it raced all over the United States, and in Japan and Australia, but the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is to the open-wheel fan what the Daytona International Speedway is to the stock-car fan. Holy ground.

It didn't matter if an Andretti wasn't racing there. It was still Indy.

"The Indy Racing League was founded to build an oval-racing series around the heritage of the Indianapolis 500," said series founder and CEO, Tony George.

That formula, combined with taking some of the high-priced technology out of the cars to make the series more affordable, has resulted in wheel-to-wheel, highly competitive racing that looks to be even more competitive this season.

"You look at the teams and the level of professionalism in each team and the drivers, I think it is going to be a really competitive year, along with I think it is going to be a fun year," said Michael Andretti, competing as an owner/driver in the IRL this season. "I think the cars are going to be fun to drive, and I think there is going to be a lot of passing and a lot of side-by-side racing, and I just think it is going to be a banner year for IndyCar [Series] racing."

It better, as there are no more excuses. The series, which didn't have many of the big names in motor sports, now has those names.

Coming over from CART with Andretti are Dario Franchitti and Tony Kanaan, who will drive for the Andretti/Green team. Kenny Brack, a series champion in 1998 with A.J. Foyt, will drive for Bobby Rahal. Chip Ganassi, whose team won consecutive CART titles from 1996-1999, brings sponsor Target over the fence. After winning the IRL's stepladder Infiniti Pro Series in 2002, A.J. Foyt IV will drive for his grandfather and will try to add an Indy 500 win of his own to A.J.'s four.

"We've made significant progress in growing the Indy Racing League," George said. "I think it's good for motor sports when we can show positive signs, especially in challenging times, of growth."

Growth includes looking at different venues, which may make the IRL look at road courses.

And that may make the series look like that other series. Only different.

Richard Biebrich can be reached at rbiebrich@sun-sentinel.com

Make sure you tell DICK what you think of his "article".

pchall
02-28-03, 05:10 PM
Please link to the article itself.

Now that I've hunted up the article and seen the rest of the stuff at that site is basically Fred Nation driven pr drivel, I'd suggest that that FL CART fans politely write to the guy explaining why they won't be at Homestead.

sundaydriver
02-28-03, 05:17 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/motorracing/sfl-irl27feb27,0,1668520.story?coll=sfla-sports-motorracing

nrc
02-28-03, 05:53 PM
This really has very little to do with CART, but hasn't it been said that the IRL's attendence "growth" was achieved by adjusting their 2001 estimates downward?

Spicoli
02-28-03, 08:16 PM
Yeah Mark C over at AR1 did a little investigating journalism. If you haven't seen it:

Artificial Dissemination
by Mark Cipolloni
February 13, 2003

On Monday February 3, 2003, IRL President and CEO Tony George, Senior Vice President of Racing Operations Brian Barnhart and Senior Vice President of Business Affairs Ken Ungar delivered a State -Of-The IRL presentation in Fontana, California. During that presentation Ken Ungar stated: IRL TV ratings increased 17 percent on ABC and 31 percent on ESPN in 2002, and attendance was up 9 percent last year. Was this a case of artificial dissemination?

I contacted Fred Nation of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to verify where Ken Ungar's information came from because the data I had didn't bear out those claims. Nation stated, "the TV ratings information comes from Nielsen. We were up on ESPN, down on ESPN2 (up on the ESPN networks overall) and up on ABC. The ABC figure excludes the Indy 500, which was down 1 point from the year before. The total for ABC races outside of Indy was up. The attendance figures are taken from media estimates. Our total figure is 1,016,740. Atlanta dropped off the schedule. Fontana, Nazareth and Michigan were new. Pikes Peak, Nashville and Chicagoland attendance figures, according to media figures were down. All others had increases."

According to the 2000, 2001, and 2002 IRL year-end sponsors report published by Joyce Julius (a respected independent sponsor evaluation firm), the conclusions are totally inconsistent with the IRL claims that the series is growing. I am not sure where Ken Unger gets his information, but according to the Joyce Julius report, supported by pages of exhaustive data, the IRL went down in performance in every measurable category as summarized below.

Summary of Joyce Julius Report:

Year 2000: 10 events/ Estimated Attendance--830,314/ Viewing
Households per event-- <no data>/ in-focus exposure time-- 47:00:16/ # sponsor mentions--2,299/ $ value based on cost per 0:30--$175,330,660

2001: 14 events (+Up)/ Estimated Attendance--1,160,700 (+Up)/ Viewing
Households per event--1.557m/ in-focus exposure time-- 65:33:40 (+Up)/ # sponsor mentions-- 2,421 (+Up)/ $ value based on cost per 0:30-- $208,099,510 (+Up)

2002: 16 events(+Up)/ Estimated Attendance--1,017,476 (-Dn)/ Viewing Households per event--1.509m (-Dn)/ in-focus exposure time-- 42:59:56 (-Dn)/ # sponsor mentions--2,138 (-Dn)/ $ value based on cost per 0:30--$185,345,845 (-Dn)

According to this National Speed Sport News article by Steve Mayer, attendance at Indy Racing League races rose by 8.8% in 2002, after the league revised and lowered its series attendance for 2001. In contrast, an independent third party estimated that while the year-over-year IRL race day attendance was static, the per race average fell by 13.4%.

The Mayer article goes on to say that the IRL held 14 events in 2001, and increased its number of races to 16 in 2002. During last week's IndyCar Series State of Sport Address, Ken Unger, the IRL Senior Vice President of Business Operations, stated, "Because of the hard work of our promoter partners and the league staff, attendance grew by 9% from 2001 to 2002, with some of our tracks experiencing significant growth."

After making adjustments, the IRL estimated that 934,700 fans attended its tracks on race day in 2001. In 2002, the IRL estimated, 1,016,740 spectators attended its races. Joyce Julius Associates, a highly respected independent sponsorship-evaluation firm, tabbed estimates for the 2001 14-race season at 1,160,700 attendees.

Its estimate for the 16-race 2002 series was 1,017,476 people. According to JJA, the average number of IRL race-day fans declined by 19%% from 75,764 in 2001 to 63,539 in 2002. The IRL estimated a 5.7% decline of 3,172 fans per race from an average of 66,764 spectators in 2001. JJA derives its estimates from media reports, as does the IRL. The IRL, however, after Unger was appointed a year ago, introduced a new methodology, and retroactively applied the system to 2001 (so in fact 2001 may have been worse than previously reported).

IRL Accounting
2002 attendance for 16 races: 1,017,476 = 63,592 per race
2001 attendance for 14 races: 934,700* (adjusted down by IRL) = 66,764 per race

Joyce Julius Associates Accounting
2002 attendance for 16 races: 1,017,476 = 63,593 per race
2001 attendance for 14 races: 1,160,700 = 75,764 per race

Fred Nation provided the IRL's side of the story to Mayer - "When Ken took over business affairs at the end of 2001," explained Fred Nation, executive vice president of communications of the IRL, "he looked at the numbers provided in 2001 and determined that it was not the way to present them. They were too high." "We decided," Nation continued, "that the report which we would submit would be the average of all of the media reports. We then went back and recalculated the 2001 figures early last year, using that method."

CART reported attendance for 2002 at 2.6 million, or about 2.6 times more than the IRL, a significant amount. CART gets a big attendance on all three days of a race weekend, whereas the IRL only gets people to show up on race day, which is one of the reasons why CART attendance dwarfs that of the IRL. Fans find it boring to attend oval events on Friday and Saturday, with cars just droning around in circles. Such is not the case for street and road courses where the "event" keeps fans entertained all three days.

What's puzzling, and somewhat frustrating in all this is the fact that many reporters regurgitate artificially disseminated information and spout the IRL is winning the war, when in fact their race attendance is decreasing while CART's is increasing. Whereas before the CART/IRL split TV ratings and the overall health of open wheel racing in America was thriving (back in 1995), the split, which all sensible people of good will forecast might destroy the sport, has caused the two sides to flounder while NASCAR and the France family are laughing all the way to the bank.

Tony Hulman must be turning over in his grave.

Detail from Joyce Julius report 2001 vs. 2002

2002 IRL Event Summary - from Joyce Julius

pchall
09-22-03, 08:13 PM
Whoa! Time warp!

oddlycalm
09-23-03, 10:17 PM
TG's minions have obviously studied the 'big lie' theory. If you tell a lie that is big enough, and repeat it often enough, it will eventually be accepted as fact by a large number of people. Since most local newspapers simply print a thinly veiled press release with only minor alterations, for the most part they get away with it.

The title 'Indy Racing Series zooms by CART' has been used on several articles I've seen in local papers, and is very likely lifted whole right out of the EARL press kit.

The discouraging thing is that if it's this easy for these rubes, how tough do you think it is for corporations and election campaigns that have PR pros with hundreds of media contacts they have known for years...?

oc

RedLine
09-24-03, 10:43 AM
I have mixed emotions about OC consistently providing a source for anti-CART articles.

I can understand how someone might want to vent about clueless writers, but if the drivel wasn't posted here I wouldn't even know about it. I'm better off not even knowing.

I did click on this thread, but saved myself the disgust from reading the piece.

Just a thought.

pchall
09-24-03, 12:36 PM
Part of the interest in this preseason article has been generated by the same writer doing a more positive piece for the Sun-Sentinal earlier this week.

RedLine
09-24-03, 12:38 PM
How about a link to the positive piece?

I'd be glad to read that one.

RaceGrrl
09-24-03, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by RedLine
How about a link to the positive piece?

I'd be glad to read that one.

Miami link (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2529)

RedLine
09-25-03, 09:45 PM
Thank you!