PDA

View Full Version : Monterrey

nrc
04-14-05, 11:19 PM
May 22. Every time I see that I shake my head six weeks between races. Ouch. For all the good stuff they got done this season I guess they had to leave something for next year.

Unfortunately at the end of our six week wait we get a tape delayed race at 11PM on Speed. Originally it was moved to Saturday to get an NBC slot but the promoter balked so we get what's left.

I guess there has been at least one story in the Mexican press that claimed that Monterrey was on shakey ground with it's contract possibly not being renewed for next year. Forsythe reportedly denied that. Anyone got the scoop?

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 11:56 AM
No big loss if that track goes away, I hated the layout from the beginning.

cameraman
04-15-05, 12:05 PM
No big loss if that track goes away, I hated the layout from the beginning. Losing a profitable race would not be a big thing? :saywhat:

RaceGrrl
04-15-05, 12:16 PM
I hate the wait between races too- this has to be fixed for next season. It's ridiculous to have 6 weeks between events.

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 12:17 PM
Losing a profitable race would not be a big thing? :saywhat:

Sorry, I must've missed how the profitability makes the race more enjoyable to watch. :saywhat:

RaceGrrl
04-15-05, 12:19 PM
Sean, believe it or not, CCWS isn't only about the races YOU like to watch. They have to be profitable as well. I thought you'd already figured this out.

Al Czervik
04-15-05, 01:05 PM
No big loss if that track goes away, I hated the layout from the beginning.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are there any tracks that CC races on that you DO like?

nrc
04-15-05, 01:08 PM
Sorry, I must've missed how the profitability makes the race more enjoyable to watch. :saywhat:

Maybe not. But profitiability is the only way we're ever going to get races like Road America back.

I think you're proposing to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Sure the track has some issues, but it's a wide open park and given a healthy, ongoing event there's no reason those problems couldn't be fixed. Portland has had the exact same problem for years.

RaceGrrl
04-15-05, 01:14 PM
I don't believe in being a cheerleader, but I don't believe in bitching about every 'profitable' race either. This series needs more than just our favorite road courses to survive. Whining about it won't help.

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 01:14 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but are there any tracks that CC races on that you DO like?

Milwaukee, Cleveland, Montreal, Portland, Vegas (only with the right wings), and Mexico City.

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 01:17 PM
Maybe not. But profitiability is the only way we're ever going to get races like Road America back.

I still don't see that logic.

"Well, we were unprofitable when we had Mid-Ohio, Road America, and Laguna Seca, and once we replaced them we started making money again, so instead of adding more international street races, lets bring back Mid-Ohio, Road America, and Laguna Seca!"

It doesn't make sense.

All I've been trying to say is if they gave the good courses another shot and built the series around them, they'd have a better chance of bringing back the fans through good on track action. Maybe it is too late for that, but I've never heard of any racing series getting more popular as the racing got more boring and harder to follow (due to the usual airtimes).

nrc
04-15-05, 01:44 PM
I still don't see that logic.

You're assuming that you have a better understanding of the potential and benefits of those events than Champ car does. I don't believe that. They understand the benefits and they understand the economics of what they're doing.

RichK
04-15-05, 01:47 PM

Maybe the same way you enjoy knowing GrandAm competitors can afford to race? :p

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 03:03 PM
Maybe the same way you enjoy knowing GrandAm competitors can afford to race? :p

Well, last I checked, 25 car races are better than 4 car races. :)

nrc
04-15-05, 03:12 PM
Well, last I checked, 25 car races are better than 4 car races. :)
What has that got to do with 19 car races?

FCYTravis
04-15-05, 03:21 PM
If they ditch Monterrey, maybe they can put together a street race in Tijuana. As much as I dislike street races, I think they could put on a better show in TJ than at that sterile, boring and flat Parque Fundidora. Has there *ever* been an interesting Champ Car race there?

RaceGrrl
04-15-05, 03:58 PM
The last few times CC raced at MidOhio, there wasn't a lot of passing either. It's the whole package, and Fundidora looks great on TV. I enjoy watching that race BECAUSE it's so beautiful.

Don Quixote
04-15-05, 04:34 PM
The last few times CC raced at MidOhio, there wasn't a lot of passing either.
Ah, but you forget the jimmycar. ;)

Michaelhatesfans
04-15-05, 04:49 PM
May 22.
Wouldn't it be a shame if Sebastian and Bruno came down with Montezuma's Revenge and couldn't drive the following weekend?

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 06:21 PM
The last few times CC raced at MidOhio, there wasn't a lot of passing either. It's the whole package, and Fundidora looks great on TV. I enjoy watching that race BECAUSE it's so beautiful.

Really? I remember the last time I watched a Champ Car race at Mid-Ohio it was really good. I'll give you the year before, but then again, what Champ Car race WAS good in 2002?

nrc
04-15-05, 09:57 PM
Really? I remember the last time I watched a Champ Car race at Mid-Ohio it was really good. I'll give you the year before, but then again, what Champ Car race WAS good in 2002?
If you can't answer that question for yourself then you're not much of a Champ car fan.

Sean O'Gorman
04-15-05, 11:19 PM
If you can't answer that question for yourself then you're not much of a Champ car fan.

Seeing as I went to 1/6th of the '02 schedule on my own dime, I beg to differ.

Spicoli
04-16-05, 12:52 AM

dood, its not all about YOU!

do people avoid you at parties?

http://regula1.nebraska.edu/2003Review/IMG_0366.JPG

fourrunner
04-16-05, 12:59 AM
Looks like Derick Daly & Sir Frank Williams (After the Miracle) ! ;)

Dr. Corkski
04-16-05, 02:14 AM
Sorry, I must've missed how the profitability makes the race more enjoyable to watch. :saywhat:You are supposed to enjoy all the big new Mexican sponsors plastered all over sidepods this year. :gomer:

nrc
04-16-05, 04:19 AM
A Champ car fan should be able to come up with one good race from 2002. A great one, in fact. Saying otherwise suggests that you're just complaining to hear yourself complain.

JohnHKart
04-16-05, 05:54 AM
I hate the wait between races too- this has to be fixed for next season. It's ridiculous to have 6 weeks between events.

One of LGBGP's Michaelian's complaints was what you say and also the fact that the season starting at Long Beach gives no time to build name recognition. Nascar's been racing since mid Feb, IRL since March 6, F1 since March 6. Starting the season on April 10 is a joke.

John

Dr. Corkski
04-16-05, 06:40 AM
A Champ car fan should be able to come up with one good race from 2002. A great one, in fact. Saying otherwise suggests that you're just complaining to hear yourself complain.In terms of on track action, 2002 was a pretty bad year, well, unless your name happens to be Cristiano da Matta. The only real memorable race was Fontana that year and as good as that was even that was due to a NASCAResque rule and a slightly better version of the Hanford Device.

What makes no sense in defending the lesser Monterrey is that sponsorship from Mexico this year seem to have dwindled from the last 2 years anyway, just as Australia is upping its funding to a 2 car team. It would make a lot more sense to get a 2nd Oz race, at a decent track like Adalaide, instead of a ****ty 2nd race in a country pulling back its support for Champ Car.

Forza Lancia
04-16-05, 10:58 AM
I've been to CART/ChampCar races at both Mid-Ohio and Monterrey, and I enjoyed both. The Monterrey circuit has some good spectator vantage points and is set in a very pleasant park-like setting (and unique, too, as all the old steel foundry equipment is still there, as a museum to the industry). The food is wonderful, the atmosphere is great, so I hope OWRS keeps it on the schedule.
By the way, the race was good the year I was there (2003) -- I don't think I watched the television broadcast, but there was lots of passing and other on-track action, even if not for the lead.

RTKar
04-16-05, 11:10 AM
We should be asking, How do you get domestic fans back, how do you increase TV ratings?...certainly not with 6 weeks between races and 11pm tape delayed broadcasts. What makes or breaks a sport is TV,so should CCWS court a domestic TV audience or one overseas...maybe both? As I see it, the only reason to race overseas is to stay in the black and to fund the fallen races bringing them back to what they once were, which ultimately would improve domestic television ratings. The core fanbase is right here...North America; Mexico,Canada,the US -the west coast and the midwest.The ball appears to be in CCWS's hands with T& H's impending dumping of the earl, now is not the time to "eff" it up with poor management.