PDA

View Full Version : Is Champ Car intentionally trying to embarass some of these people?

rabbit
04-14-05, 03:53 PM
Last week it was Sammich. Now take a look at today's Photo of the Day:

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2005/By400/20050412P_0001.jpg

:rofl:

Michaelhatesfans
04-14-05, 03:58 PM
Who's that behind those Foster Grants?

Greg B
04-14-05, 04:38 PM
Who's that behind those Foster Grants?

Pete Rose?

cart7
04-14-05, 04:46 PM
Looks like a short James Garner, just without the talent. :laugh:

JohnHKart
04-14-05, 04:46 PM
That's funny.....He was young then but he still looks old!

John

NismoZ
04-14-05, 04:57 PM
Is that the car he tumbled with Unser at Michigan? Unreal wreck. "...and they walked away!" :)

Wheel-Nut
04-14-05, 05:01 PM
Looks like he just finished a Bryant sausage and can't seem to get the smell out of his nose.

rabbit
04-14-05, 05:17 PM
I kept looking at that picture trying to figure out who it reminded me of. It just dawned on me.

Andy Griffith Show - "Opie and the Spoiled Kid" (http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/tuner.php?channel=26&format=tv&theme=guide)

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/andyspoil1.gif"Give me back my bike!"
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2005/By400/20050412P_0001.jpg

JLMannin
04-14-05, 05:20 PM
Is that the car he tumbled with Unser at Michigan? Unreal wreck. "...and they walked away!" :)

I don't think Chip walked for a while after the MIS crash.

oddlycalm
04-14-05, 05:51 PM
Is Champ Car intentionally trying to embarass some of these people? The pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

oc

Gnam
04-14-05, 06:00 PM
He doesn't make a very good Grid Girl. Good thing there was an opening for a traitor-scumbag-owner.

SID
04-14-05, 08:15 PM
Embarass some of these people?

Ummmmmm.......... YES !

I have a theory why Cheap was so slow in that car. All he could see in the rearview was that Pizza Hut logo, and he just couldn't make himself accelerate away from it.....

Ed_Severson
04-14-05, 09:16 PM
I don't know that they're trying to embarrass anybody so much as it is an attempt to remind folks who the rightful owner of open-wheel history is.

Those clowns at 16th and Georgetown can blather on all they want about it, but all the history at Indianapolis that's worth a damn happened with Champ Cars running the race.

Rob
04-14-05, 10:48 PM
IIRC he drove for Pat Patrick that year.

devilmaster
04-15-05, 12:28 AM
I have a theory why Cheap was so slow in that car. All he could see in the rearview was that Pizza Hut logo, and he just couldn't make himself accelerate away from it.....

The only reason to have a phone in your car, is so you can order a pizza, then outrun it until its free....

Michaelhatesfans
04-15-05, 12:52 AM
No, that photo is of an '86 March (my favorite design), and his Big One at Michigan was in '84. This must have been part of his comeback.

lone_groover
04-15-05, 08:29 AM
Chip kinda looks like Beavis too.

:gomer:

Skater_36
04-15-05, 09:18 AM

Wasn't he driving the Old Milwaukee car when he had his accident? Pretty sure it was a dark red with white sponsor lettering. I think he was in rough shape for a while after that and it accelerated his move to team owner.

Andrew Longman
04-15-05, 09:52 AM
Those clowns at 16th and Georgetown can blather on all they want about it, but all the history at Indianapolis that's worth a damn happened with Champ Cars running the race.

Yup

I've seen other promo stuff from Champ Car that featured old Indy shots. They do seem to be co-opting the Indy history.

Gnam
04-15-05, 12:04 PM
Chip kinda looks like Beavis too.

:gomer:

Ha Ha!

http://www.acmeanimation.com/BEAVIS~1.JPG

theunions
04-18-05, 02:56 AM
Wasn't he driving the Old Milwaukee car when he had his accident? Pretty sure it was a dark red with white sponsor lettering. I think he was in rough shape for a while after that and it accelerated his move to team owner.

Yes, the #40 March 84C.

Thereafter he only raced thrice more IIRC: Indy '85 (w/AJ), '86 (in this Machinists entry) and Le Mans '86 (w/Sauber Mercedes).

SID
04-18-05, 10:00 PM
Yes, the #40 March 84C.

Thereafter he only raced thrice more IIRC: Indy '85 (w/AJ), '86 (in this Machinists entry) and Le Mans '86 (w/Sauber Mercedes).

Refrresh my memory: Was that the March that wouldn't turn left at Indy that year?

theunions
04-19-05, 02:04 AM
Refrresh my memory: Was that the March that wouldn't turn left at Indy that year?

Do you mean Chip's specifically or the 84C chassis in general? Chip's month in general was about as fairly unremarkable as the 84C's in general was remarkable.

Or are we talking about '85 or '86 instead?

Clown
04-19-05, 02:09 AM
I don't know that they're trying to embarrass anybody so much as it is an attempt to remind folks who the rightful owner of open-wheel history is.

Those clowns at 16th and Georgetown can blather on all they want about it, but all the history at Indianapolis that's worth a damn happened with Champ Cars running the race.Gotta agree; and its quite a good idea.
:p @ IRL

SID
04-19-05, 06:36 AM
Do you mean Chip's specifically or the 84C chassis in general? Chip's month in general was about as fairly unremarkable as the 84C's in general was remarkable.

Not Chip's specifically. One year they were having problems with all of the March chassis in turns 1 & 3. They just didn't want to turn at the end of those long straights. I just can't remember what year (I guess I'm geting old....)

theunions
04-19-05, 07:30 PM
Not Chip's specifically. One year they were having problems with all of the March chassis in turns 1 & 3. They just didn't want to turn at the end of those long straights. I just can't remember what year (I guess I'm geting old....)

Doesn't ring a bell offhand...

Badger
04-23-05, 09:14 PM

I believe it was the 87 March that was difficult to set up. They did not run well with the new radials that ran at Indy for the first time.