PDA

View Full Version : The view from race control

KLang
04-13-05, 11:04 AM
In case you aren't visiting the new champcar forums there is an informative thread about the actions of race control at Long Beach.

http://forums.champcar.ws/phplive/forums/showthread.php?t=616

racer2c
04-13-05, 11:20 AM
Will they ban me if I read it? :cool:

TravelGal
04-13-05, 12:13 PM
Thanks for putting that up. I checked early yesterday and there was nothing on the page yet.

Interesting read but....

They were "extraordinarily pleased" that Bourdais did what he should do. Apparently others do not?

And,

"Race control tried everything they could .... but it was to no avail?" It might have been a rookie driver but you can't tell me the team was that unaware. How about a 10 second penalty for the NEXT race?

KLang
04-13-05, 12:36 PM
Race control tried everything they could .... but it was to no avail?" It might have been a rookie driver but you can't tell me the team was that unaware. How about a 10 second penalty for the NEXT race?

I agree there should be a penalty of some sort. His actions might have altered the outcome. I don't really think Tracy had enough for SB at that time but now we will never know.

pchall
04-13-05, 01:37 PM
I agree there should be a penalty of some sort. His actions might have altered the outcome. I don't really think Tracy had enough for SB at that time but now we will never know.

This is a very interesting feature on the site that gives some additional insight to the race, whether you believe it or not. [BTW, I think Bourdais had Tracy covered and the question is moot.]

Now if the IRL Race Control would only supply the same kind of insight into all the yellows for Jacques DeBris... ;)

nrc
04-13-05, 01:41 PM
They were "extraordinarily pleased" that Bourdais did what he should do. Apparently others do not?

I think that may be a new procedure to try and speed up the yellows. In the past if the leader had already passed before the pace car got out they would have just waited for him to come around on the next lap.

JoeBob
04-13-05, 01:53 PM
In the past, when there was a FCY and the pits did not close, the leaders would try to get to the pit lane as quickly as possible to keep whatever gap they had.

You didn't want to be behind the pace car until after your pitstop - slowing down to let it catch up would have increased your chances of being passed in the pit lane.

G.
04-13-05, 01:59 PM
"Race control tried everything they could .... but it was to no avail?" It might have been a rookie driver but you can't tell me the team was that unaware. How about a 10 second penalty for the NEXT race?Driver may not have known. Radio communications are really a beyoch at LB. They may not have been able to tell the driver until he was really close to the pit stand (past pit entrance), then he would need another lap until he could duck down into the pits to get outta the way. Green thrown on that lap.

This is just a guess at a possible scenario, based upon real-life experience at LB doing comms.

TravelGal
04-14-05, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the additional insights on the Bourdais thing. And I agree that Tracy was toast anyway but you still want to KNOW.

As for the communications, probably right but still frustrating. I know I had an H of time with my scanner this year. Worse than most years at LB. If I hadn't had my trusty *old* scanner doing the same thing, I would have returned this new one immediately. Kept cutting out on me, as if the batteries were lose in the case.