PDA

View Full Version : Sears Point for Dummies

pchall
04-12-05, 09:04 PM
This is apparently the track configuration the crapwagons are testing on today and tomorrow.

http://www.racingcircuits.net/UnitedStates/ca/Sears%20Point%202001%20Temporary.gif

Jervis Tetch 1
04-12-05, 10:01 PM
Dumbed down and ole Sham still flatspots his tires. BTW take note of who had the 15th fastest time.

IRL IndyCar Series
Infineon Raceway Open Test

SONOMA, Calif. - Results Tuesday from the IRL IndyCar Series Infineon Raceway Open Test on the 2.26-mile Infineon Raceway, with car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine and speed:

1. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Toyota, 105.418
2. (33) Ryan Briscoe, Panoz-Toyota, 104.610
3. (27) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 104.461
4. (15) Buddy Rice, Panoz-Honda, 104.159
5. (8) Scott Sharp, Panoz-Honda, 103.981
6. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 103.978
7. (9) Scott Dixon, Panoz-Toyota, 103.892
8. (26) Dan Wheldon, Dallara-Honda, 103.697
9. (6) Sam Hornish Jr., Dallara-Toyota, 103.670
10. (51) Patrick Carpentier, Dallara-Toyota, 103.560
11. (7) Bryan Herta, Dallara-Honda, 103.398
12. (17) Vitor Meira, Panoz-Honda, 103.389
13. (10) Darren Manning, Panoz-Toyota, 103.387
14. (24) Jeff Bucknum, Dallara-Honda, 102.752
15. (20) Roberto Moreno, Dallara-Toyota, 102.659
16. (16) Danica Patrick, Panoz-Honda, 102.648
17. (55) Kosuke Matsuura, Panoz-Honda, 102.330
18. (24) Roger Yasukawa, Dallara-Honda, 99.226

SAM HORNISH JR. (No. 6 Marlboro Team Penske Dallara/Toyota/ Firestone): "The Marlboro Team Penske car handled well today. I flat-spotted a set of tires early this afternoon, so unfortunately, we couldn't do a sticker run late in the day, which would've helped us gain a little more speed. I'm looking forward to a full day tomorrow, and hopefully, we'll be a little faster than we were today."

:gomer:

Brickman
04-12-05, 10:09 PM
This is apparently the track configuration the crapwagons are testing on today and tomorrow.

http://www.racingcircuits.net/UnitedStates/ca/Sears%20Point%202001%20Temporary.gif

How did you come up with that conclusion??

Brickman
04-12-05, 10:25 PM
What they originally intended was to run the track as the NASCAR circuit. Going from turn 4 to 7 and using the outer portion (similar to Riverside Raceway turn 8) and then using a chicane that isn't shown but is between 8 and 9.

They changed their mind in November (I missed that) and added the carousel.

They tested the same configuration they will run, turning right after the NHRA building marked on the map between 10 & 11.

pchall
04-12-05, 10:27 PM
How did you come up with that conclusion??

Reports elsewhere that the cars were skipping T10 through T1, but still running the carousel that the NASCAB boys like to avoid. That really can only be explained by them using the motorcycle circuit.

I see this as a major benefit for the IRL. Most of the granstand seating will be on the unused part of the track and justifiably closed so they want have to be embarrassed by the emptiness. Meanwhile, all the people with freebie tickets will be give free camouflage hats and vests so GA will very hard to count.

Brickman
04-12-05, 10:31 PM
Reports elsewhere that the cars were skipping T10 through T1, but still running the carousel that the NASCAB boys like to avoid. That really can only be explained by them using the motorcycle circuit.

OK... they were just skipping turn 11...

Oh and as far as the "NASCAB like to avoid"thing... It was re-designed to shorten the course from 2.52 miles (97.+ Sec.Laps) to 1.949 miles, but increase the Cup race length from 74 to 112 laps, which in Brutons mind meant more views for the fans buck.

I believe Gordon holds the qualifying record @ 94.303mph 75.968 seconds Helio clocked in at 105.418 mph, 77.1782 seconds.

It's original configuration was the first 9 years, they've had "The Chute" the last 7.

The IRL definately picked the better course as anyone who has watched races there can tell you.

JoeBob
04-12-05, 10:33 PM
Sam forgot to mention his 4 spins.

Brickman
04-12-05, 10:36 PM
Here is a pic of the chicane.

http://www.indycar.com/schedule/images/04infineon_winner.jpg

Brickman
04-12-05, 10:38 PM
Sam forgot to mention his 4 spins.

Helio must not have given him his set up.... yet. ;)

eiregosod
04-12-05, 10:41 PM
I see this as a major benefit for the IRL. Most of the granstand seating will be on the unused part of the track and justifiably closed so they want have to be embarrassed by the emptiness. Meanwhile, all the people with freebie tickets will be give free camouflage hats and vests so GA will very hard to count.

:rofl: :rofl:

Brickman
04-12-05, 10:54 PM
Here is a nice aerial view so you can see where they ran today. You can make out the turn I earlier mentioned.

http://www20.brinkster.com/barandgrille/infineontrack.jpg

cart7
04-13-05, 05:27 AM
So help me out here. They're only skipping T11, the hairpin, and using the rest of the track ala Nascar? Or are they using the layout shown here, Infinion track map (http://www.infineonraceway.com/images/2004GeneralMap.lg.jpg) less the hairpin?

cart7
04-13-05, 05:35 AM
Oh look, D & R hired a gun. :rofl:

Jeff Bucknum:

Birthplace: Glendale, California, USA
Residence: Lake Havasu, Arizona, USA
Marital Status: Married
Class: Indy Cars, Prototypes

This year Jeff Bucknum will try doing it all: the 24 Hours of Daytona, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Indianapolis 500, a full American Le Mans Series season as a world-class prototype driver, and for good measure, surf a monsterous 30-foot wave off the coast of California at a surf spot called Mavericks.

Why the wave? Jeff actually started his professional career as a surfer on the pro tour. Small waves didn't deliver enough speed, and eventually big ones didn't either, so Jeff moved into auto racing. The transition came somewhat naturally as Jeff's father Ronnie raced successfully in the 1960s in Indy cars, as the first Formula One driver for Honda, and in sports car racing with Roger Penske, with a win at the 12 Hours of Sebring plus a third place finish at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The younger Bucknum started in karts and won many races and championships. In 1992 Jeff went through the Skip Barber Racing School, and went on to win his first two Skip Barber Formula Ford races in 1993. He finished a close second in the 1994 Skip Barber Championship, with multiple wins and podium finishes. Later that year, Jeff was selected as one of ten drivers in the United States to compete in the Barber Dodge Big Scholarship Shoot-Out, of which he was runner-up.

Jeff made his pro racing debut in the Barber Dodge Pro Series at Phoenix International Raceway. He qualified on the front row and finished a solid third place. In just his seventh start of the Barber Dodge Pro Series, Jeff was victorious at Mid-Ohio, the same track where his father won in the Sunoco Chevrolet Camaro 28 years earlier.

Between the 1995 and 1996 seasons, Jeff was hired to test over 1500 miles in an Indy Lights car for Superior Performance Racing, in preparation for the 1996 Indy Lights season. Without adequate sponsorship for Indy Lights, Jeff raced a second year in the Barber Dodge Pro Series.

In 1998 Jeff was asked by Worldspeed Motor Sports to drive in the Star Mazda Pro Series were he picked up eight podium finishes, including one win, and placed third overall in the championship. Then returning for a second year in 1999, Jeff finished on the podium 12 times, with two wins, and second in the championship.

From 1999-2001, Jeff focused his energies on launching Team Bucknum Racing, the most successful privateer Star Mazda Series team in 2004. The team won four of the first six championships available to it in the Star Mazda Series in 2000 and 2001.

In January 2001, Jeff was invited to race the 24 Hours of Daytona for TRP Racing in an SRII Lola Nissan. Although he had never raced at Daytona or been in a SRII car before, Jeff was able to set the fastest lap times in class during each practice session. Jeff set the fastest race lap in the SRII class.

Jeff returned to a full-time seat in his team's LMP 675 in 2001 with an entry in the American Le Mans Series where he finished 3rd in the drivers points championship and won three times with co-drivers Chris McMurry and Bryan Willman at Mid-Ohio, Trois-Rivieres and Mosport. In 2003, Jeff raced in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and finished second (Mosport) and third (Trois-Rivieres) in ALMS races. In 2004 he scored multiple podiums and in 2005 is driving the exotic Courage C65 prototype for Miracle Motorsports.

Jeff resides in Lake Havasu, Arizona with his wife Suzanne and three kids Spencer (5), Ashley (3) and Dylan (1).

Jervis Tetch 1
04-13-05, 09:42 AM
Sam forgot to mention his 4 spins.Are you kidding me? Do tell!

JoeBob
04-13-05, 10:55 AM
So help me out here. They're only skipping T11, the hairpin, and using the rest of the track ala Nascar? Or are they using the layout shown here, Infinion track map (http://www.infineonraceway.com/images/2004GeneralMap.lg.jpg) less the hairpin?

They're skipping T11 and using the hairpin. They're using the carousel instead of the chute (as shown). At 8A they're taking that straight parallel to the dragstrip leading to the chicane.

JoeBob
04-13-05, 10:56 AM
Are you kidding me? Do tell!

That's about all there is to tell. He didn't hit anything, just had 4 "incidents" during the first day of testing.

pchall
04-13-05, 11:25 AM

I thought they were doing the carousel of old [and not using the NASCAR cheater chute that gives them a much easier and short lap] but skipping a bit more than the hairpin based on some reports. The motorcycle circuit seems to match what has been reported... Perhaps we will never know... it's not as if the IRL wants its crapwagons to have times comparable to any other form of racing. ;)

Brickman
04-13-05, 11:53 AM
Perhaps we will never know...

Not if you keep plugging your ears and closing your eyes, and you titled the thread. ;)

The only thing unknown is if they were using the chicane (seen in AMA course) but they are definately using the shorter hairpin.

As RichK pointed out last year when someone asked if CART ever ran there, "Think about Turn 11 (the last hairpin before the start/finish). Now think about a Champcar barrelling towards this turn at 160mph, with no brakes. Car hits tire wall, flips up and over tire wall into the hospitality tents. I've seen lesser formula cars go up and over the tire wall into the pit lane."

Which is why they went to the shorter hairpin.

With all the rain we have had this year, that place sure looks nice green.

extramundane
04-13-05, 12:11 PM
Oh look, D & R hired a gun. :rofl:

Bucknum's a pretty decent sportscar guy (anyone who can squeeze the speed he got out of his old Pilbeam can't be too bad), but I don't see him doing much in open-wheel. Apparently he's on a quest to supplement his ALMS schedule with as many once-great races that are pale shadows of their former selves as possible...

pchall
04-13-05, 01:34 PM
The only thing unknown is if they were using the chicane (seen in AMA course) but they are definately using the shorter hairpin.

Thanks for the additional bit of data. I'll check the track maps again.

BTW, it takes very little to get your little pink knickers in a twist, doesn't it? :p

Brickman
04-13-05, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the additional bit of data. I'll check the track maps again.

BTW, it takes very little to get your little pink knickers in a twist, doesn't it? :p

Just funnin around. It could be worse, Spicoli could have been the one correcting you! :D

RichK
04-13-05, 02:24 PM
It's like they tried to take all the challenge out of Sears Point. They had to (in the name of safety), but straight-lining the hardest part of the esses, and missing Turn 10 (one of the few balls-out turns in the USA) really emasculates the track.

The IRL circuit is like a lumpy Hungaroring, IMO.

Chief
04-13-05, 02:28 PM

The more things change the more they stay the same.... :D

Spicoli
04-13-05, 02:44 PM
Just funnin around. It could be worse, Spicoli could have been the one correcting you! :D

huh?

http://www.dvdtown.com/media/screenshots/small/3513.jpg

Brickman
04-13-05, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=RichK]It's like they tried to take all the challenge out of Sears Point. They had to (in the name of safety), but straight-lining the hardest part of the esses, and missing Turn 10 (one of the few balls-out turns in the USA) really emasculates the track.

[QUOTE]

Nah... they originally were going to use the Chute, which really takes the challenge out. They only changed to the tighter turn 7 than the sweeping turn 7. I'm pretty sure it's the same old esses. They are still getting on the binders like turn 11 but just 150 feet sooner? But you've driven it, so I will trust your judgement.

RichK
04-13-05, 03:29 PM
Nah... they originally were going to use the Chute, which really takes the challenge out. They only changed to the tighter turn 7 than the sweeping turn 7. I'm pretty sure it's the same old esses. They are still getting on the binders like turn 11 but just 150 feet sooner? But you've driven it, so I will trust your judgement.

It sounds like JoeBob was there, or knows someone who was there. If they are using the AMA chicane after 8A (shown in pic in this thread), then Turn 10 is not a high speed, scary turn. Also, (IMO), the hardest part of the esses is after you get some speed up, into 8A and 9. The first part of the esses is the easy part.

Brickman
04-13-05, 03:52 PM
It sounds like JoeBob was there, or knows someone who was there. If they are using the AMA chicane after 8A (shown in pic in this thread), then Turn 10 is not a high speed, scary turn. Also, (IMO), the hardest part of the esses is after you get some speed up, into 8A and 9. The first part of the esses is the easy part.

I agree. They originally had it in their scheduled course.

Brickman
04-13-05, 04:02 PM
http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/build_photo.php?photo_id=15339&size=medium

There be cones...

JT265
04-13-05, 04:04 PM
What did Mumbles set the mandatory wing angle at for this historic moment Bricky?

rabbit
04-13-05, 04:07 PM
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=181811

Brickman
04-13-05, 04:11 PM
What did Mumbles set the mandatory wing angle at for this historic moment Bricky?

His driver is 6 seconds off the pace and the only one who hasn't broken 100 mph average.... so I'm guessing it may be no wings. ;)

rabbit
04-13-05, 04:16 PM
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/irl/2005/spt/irl-2005-spt-kd-0146.jpg

Gnam
04-13-05, 04:26 PM
HA Ha! The noise must be bad for the grapes. Turns red wine to vinegar. (http://www.motorsport.com/photos/popup.asp?N=4&I=irl/2005/spt/irl-2005-spt-tc-0105.jpg&FS=IRL&SN=1_63.194.151.136:24505&S=IRL)

Sean O'Gorman
04-13-05, 04:49 PM
The IRL circuit is like a lumpy Hungaroring, IMO.

Minus the erotic camping, of course. ;)

JoeBob
04-13-05, 05:08 PM

Yeah, they were originally going to use The Chute, The Hairpin, and straightline the esses. It was later on that it was announced they'd be using The Carousel.

Don Quixote
04-13-05, 05:22 PM
rabbit, nice pic. :rofl:

Brickman
04-13-05, 05:30 PM
Yeah, they were originally going to use The Chute, The Hairpin, and straightline the esses. It was later on that it was announced they'd be using The Carousel.

I'm glad they added The Carousel, not sure the chicane is a great idea, when Bruton originally planned his changes he was going to add the chicane eliminating the esses, and he was going to bank the final turn.

I think I know where he gets his ideas. ;)

http://www.cirrusgallery.com/cirruspics/Moore/Moore_installation_racetrack_detail04_full.jpg

Spicoli
04-13-05, 05:39 PM
HA Ha! The noise must be bad for the grapes. Turns red wine to vinegar. (http://www.motorsport.com/photos/popup.asp?N=4&I=irl/2005/spt/irl-2005-spt-tc-0105.jpg&FS=IRL&SN=1_63.194.151.136:24505&S=IRL)

Christ almighty is that hilarious.

Someone please put the EARL out of its misery. :gomer:

pchall
04-13-05, 07:31 PM
Interesting pics of the track -- a lot different from the place I saw in the early 80s. How many years more before Sears Point is comepletely Brutonized into a 1.5 mile D oval? :(

RichK
04-13-05, 07:59 PM
Interesting pics of the track -- a lot different from the place I saw in the early 80s. How many years more before Sears Point is comepletely Brutonized into a 1.5 mile D oval? :(

I remember the early rumors were that he planned on just that.

I must say, though, that the "new" Sears Point is very nice. The grandstands, and especially the terraced seating are well done.

The chute sucks, but at least they didn't bulldoze the Carousel in the process.

Brickman
04-13-05, 08:07 PM

Nahh he's done. No D. He spent 50 million. In all honesty he made some great improvements. Coming from my home track of Riverside it was always difficult to get use to the poor sight lines around the track. He basically shaved some hills. Made great improvements for fans, no more swaying foot bridges, garages for teams instead of Pop Up Canopies. For NASCAR events instead of the motorhomes having the best seats ringing the track, he put built stonework into the hills. Widest most comfortable seats (with your cushion) and legroom in NASCAR.

I don't agree with The Chute, whereas before the real racers would be up there and the less skilled would fall behind, now the playing field is leveled. And they built the main grandstand in line with the track like they did the Press Box at Riverside, an angle would have generated better sight lines. He made a lot of improvements I thought were needed way back in 90'.

Now as for driving it I'm guessing that RichK would say they miss the old shifting marks because the landscape has changed.

Here's a great picture of showing how well it has all blended in. Come June and August it will have the typical California brown back.
http://www.nsxfiles.com/images/sears_3_02_track.jpg

RichK
04-13-05, 08:10 PM
Now as for driving it I'm guessing that RichK would say they miss the old shifting marks because the landscape has changed.

After the hills got chopped up, most of us would've sworn that the actual track surface had changed.

I forgot to mention that Turn 1 sucks big time now. It's bordered by an inside wall, so that you can't pass "in the grass" (literally) going up the hill. That used to be a great spot for intimidation.

Sean O'Gorman
04-13-05, 08:44 PM
I forgot to mention that Turn 1 sucks big time now. It's bordered by an inside wall, so that you can't pass "in the grass" (literally) going up the hill. That used to be a great spot for intimidation.

That's ok, you still have the outside of the turn.

http://www.team-orange.com/personal/thewheel100k.jpg

:laugh:

Turn7
04-13-05, 09:54 PM

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/irl/2005/spt/irl-2005-spt-kd-0201.jpg

racer2c
04-13-05, 10:04 PM

Well, it is a Honduh. They need to do something to attract the ricer kiddies.

:rofl:

JoeBob
04-13-05, 10:24 PM
Here's Sam's quote on today's testing. It pretty much speaks for itsself.

We were trying to make adjustments to improving the handling of the car on the low speed turns, and I ended up getting loose in the faster turns. The backend came around on me, and I spun into the wall, ending our day. Obviously, I'm disappointed that we didn't get in a full day of testing, but we were able to make some adjustments to the Marlboro Team Penske car this morning and found a little more speed. We were definitely headed in the right direction. Now we just have to keep focused on what we need to do when we come back in August.

Sean O'Gorman
04-13-05, 10:30 PM
Hey, I have that same muffler on my 130 hp MR2! :laugh:

RichK
04-14-05, 01:35 PM
That's ok, you still have the outside of the turn.

:laugh:

I need to relocate that picture on my website..... :mad: :cry:

Wally
04-14-05, 03:36 PM
Hey, I have that same muffler on my 130 hp MR2! :laugh:

Yeah and the FMF is the same one I run on my 58hp Yamaha 450..... :gomer:

Napoleon
04-14-05, 04:08 PM
The only time I have seen a race car with a muffler is at Waterford near Detroit where they do some club racing.

What a joke.

:rofl:

rabbit
04-14-05, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, as urban sprawl places new homes next to existing race tracks, mufflers are likely to see widespread use in the future. Some dirt tracks, including my local track, are having to look at running mufflers on Sprint cars etc. because the locals are circulating petitions complaining about the noise.

Memo to people building new homes: IF YOU DON'T LIKE LOUD NOISE, DON'T BUILD YOUR HOUSE NEXT TO A RACE TRACK THAT HAS BEEN THERE FOR 70 YEARS AND THEN BITCH ABOUT IT! :flame:
/rant over

Wheel-Nut
04-14-05, 04:17 PM

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/irl/2005/spt/irl-2005-spt-kd-0201.jpg

Freakin' Ricers!!

oddlycalm
04-14-05, 05:15 PM
Someone please put the EARL out of its misery. :gomer: That's about all I have to say as well. Formula L for lame.

oc

Easy
04-14-05, 05:29 PM
They use those Supertrapps when not on track (pickling, warm-up...) because those 3.0's are so obnoxiously loud. (Not as in, "Wow, that's loud, awesome!" but rather, "oh my God, thats really loud, ouch.")

Wheel-Nut
04-14-05, 06:28 PM
I wonder if they sound like this [someone insert the ring a ding ding link] Ring a ding ding [/someone insert the ring a ding ding link]

Spicoli
04-15-05, 07:57 AM
http://home.cfl.rr.com/ocalacomputers/site1031.gif

Andrew Longman
04-15-05, 10:26 AM
Memo to people building new homes: IF YOU DON'T LIKE LOUD NOISE, DON'T BUILD YOUR HOUSE NEXT TO A RACE TRACK THAT HAS BEEN THERE FOR 70 YEARS AND THEN BITCH ABOUT IT! :flame:
/rant over

Tell that to the neighbors of the now defunct Flemington and East Windsor NJ race tracks. :flame: