PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Beijing race promoter signed

SurfaceUnits
04-12-05, 09:47 AM
Date 2005-04-10

CHAMP CAR ANNOUNCES SIGNING OF MOU WITH BEIJING STATE ASSETS MANAGEMENT COMPANY FOR 2006 RACE IN BEIJING CHINA.

Late yesterday, in what can only be described as a historic moment for a U.S. based racing series, Champ Car World Series officials led by Series Co-Owner Kevin Kalkhoven and Team Owner Paul Newman signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with (BSAM) Beijing State-owned Asset Management Company Chairman Li Aiqing as the prospective promoter for a Champ Car race in Beijing China starting in 2006.

Last month Champ Car announced the first step towards securing a race in Beijing by signing an agreement with the Beijing Auto and Motor Sports Association which is the only Beijing Government designated agency allowed to approve races for Beijing. Champ Car also identified Goldenport Motor Park as the location for the race up to the 2008 event. Goldenport is the first national privately-owned race circuit in China.

Team Owner Paul Newman, who to the delight of those in attendance ceremonially signed the MOU for Series Co-Owner Kevin Kalkhoven, said; "This is a magnificent day for the Champ Car and great example of the vibrancy and health of the World Series. We have a new and dynamic partner in Beijing State Asset Management Company and look forward to working with them on bringing the excitement of Champ Car racing to the Chinese public."

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=181572&FS=CHAMPCAR

pchall
04-12-05, 11:17 AM
Does signing an MoU really make the BSAM the promoter? It sounds more like the BSAM just used the old "Mandarin chop mark" to give a bureaucratic okay the race. I bet there will be another promoter showing up representing the Chinese motor industries.

pferrf1
04-12-05, 02:29 PM
I think you may be confusing BAMS with BSAM.

BAMS is the governmental approval authourity for the motorsports event. BSAM has just become the selected promoter for the event.

At least that's my take.

pchall
04-12-05, 04:26 PM
At least that's my take.

I suck with acronyms. The only one I don't mess up is FTG! :D

SurfaceUnits
04-13-05, 09:11 AM
The track:

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/Asia/goldenport.html

nrc
04-13-05, 10:29 AM
Glad to see the 2 mile distance. Other sources put it shorter than that. Hope they've got plenty of run-off for turn one. It looks very much like Portland's original turn one.