PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the street races.

FRANKY
04-12-05, 12:37 AM
I had a highly entertaining discussion with a friend of mine who watched both St. Pete and Long Beach. He use to be a fan of CART but didn't see a single race last year when it was on Spike. I thought everyone got Spike but evidently he went without. He's a stick and ball fan but he's been a fan of racing his whole life.

So this weekend was his first Champ Car race in awhile, and we talked about the comparisons with St. Pete.

He didn't like the Red Tires/Black Tires , basically he thought it was like handicapping a car with a anvil while not handicapping the other, and vice versa. I thought it added strategy but he thought it was contrived to slow or speed a car up just between pit stops. No open wheel racing is pure anymore as we know, but he thought it was a farce.

He didn't like the push to pass either. Again he seemed to think it was more gimmick. Neither of us could remember if Sebastien used it in his pass on Tracy, I thought they use to show the time left on the PtP on TV in previous years, but I can't remember. He was happy they got rid of the mandatory pit stops, he hated it in 2003.

Over all he liked the St. Pete race better, but I think it's really to do with less gimicks. Very strange because he doesn't tend to watch momentum racing that the IRL has, he usually gives the VCR the weekend off. Also he thought the Champ Cars seemed to blend more visualy because they looked similar in paint schemes. Less distinctive sponsor colors? He didn't fuss about the TV production value. Something that almost everybody else is complaining about. I told him he liked St. Pete better because he actually hadn't seen them race the right way and so he spent more time paying attention. I also told him I think the St. Pete track is overall a better track for racing, and it may bring out the better perception.

Ziggy
04-12-05, 07:07 AM
Tell him most Lemmings prefer Grape

He does not understand the red/black tire issue, yet knows about last season's mandatory pit stops?

Troll

trauma1
04-12-05, 09:25 AM
your buddy need Prozac now :rofl:

DagoFast
04-12-05, 11:05 AM
Ya know, to complain about too many champcars painted red/white is understandable. But to say any crapwagon looks better? I second the troll call. :gomer:

FRANKY
04-12-05, 11:31 AM
Tell him most Lemmings prefer Grape

He does not understand the red/black tire issue, yet knows about last season's mandatory pit stops?

Troll

Last Season? Cleveland 2003 :gomer:

Besides he understood the gimmick, just didn't like the idea of it.

pchall
04-12-05, 11:34 AM
Is there necessarily any difference between limited P2P and the old boost knob that got turned up when someone actually decided to race? As for the two rubber compounds, is this any different than when F1 races were greatly influenced by the variety of compounds tire makers would bring to a race weekend? I remember races when Goodyear would show up with qualifying rubber, and two more choices for race rubber.

racer2c
04-12-05, 11:36 AM
Is there necessarily any difference between limited P2P and the old boost knob that got turned up when someone actually decided to race? As for the two rubber compounds, is this any different than when F1 races were greatly influenced by the variety of compounds tire makers would bring to a race weekend? I remember races when Goodyear would show up with qualifying rubber, and two more choices for race rubber.

Great point. I always hated fuel conservation races, controlled by the fuel knob. :thumdown:

FRANKY
04-12-05, 11:38 AM
Ya know, to complain about too many champcars painted red/white is understandable. But to say any crapwagon looks better?

There is a difference between "blending" visualy and looking better. He knows the difference. I understood his points. I didn't fully agree.

http://k43.pbase.com/u15/darrylw/small/41961946.image009.jpg

http://mikami.image.pbase.com/u15/darrylw/small/41961935.image004.jpg

http://mikuna.image.pbase.com/u15/darrylw/small/41961960.image014.jpg

http://mikeli.image.pbase.com/u15/darrylw/small/41961971.image017.jpg

FRANKY
04-12-05, 11:42 AM
As for the two rubber compounds, is this any different than when F1 races were greatly influenced by the variety of compounds tire makers would bring to a race weekend?

Thanks. That's what I'll point out to him. I never took F-1 into consideration when discussing St. Pete Vs. Long Beach. And no I didn't say "Jane you ignorant slut" when comparing. :D

Ed_Severson
04-12-05, 12:10 PM
I have to agree with him on the so-called "option" tires. It's contrived and stupid.

What's wrong with just bringing two compounds to the track and letting the teams decide which they want to run? Why force them to use both?

Ziggy
04-12-05, 12:36 PM
Somehow we will try to press on without him

What's his take on fixed wing angles?
What's his take on "equal motors for all"?
What's his take on "American opertunity"?
What's his take on rev limiters?
What's his take on high bank ovals?

Hey, the IRL needs all the fans they can get, even buddies of yours

FRANKY
04-12-05, 02:32 PM
Somehow we will try to press on without him

What's his take on fixed wing angles?
What's his take on "equal motors for all"?
What's his take on "American opertunity"?
What's his take on rev limiters?
What's his take on high bank ovals?

Hey, the IRL needs all the fans they can get, even buddies of yours

I never said he wasn't a fan or won't watch or attend.

1. Doesn't like.

2. Talking about Champ Car?

3. Agrees that Atlantics is doing a good job for Americans.

4. Disdain (same for traction control)

5. Skips the 1.3 mile cookie cutters.