PDA

View Full Version : My daughters first date.....

rocket
04-11-05, 07:57 PM
And so it starts, she called me tonight to ask if she could call one of the boys she met during spring break. I thought the boy was supposed to ask me...anyhow she lives with her mom and mom was like, go call your dad and ask him. I said I wasn't gonna say no so go ahead and ask him out for pizza. That's her plan anyways. At that point I asked to speak with the ex, I asked her if I should shoot myself now or later. The ex was like she seems young to be interested in boys (she'll be 12 this year), but she is much more mature (mentally, and somewhat physically) than most kids her age. She already has a, dah...dah.....a training bra :shakehead

I just want her to stay daddy's little girl forever.

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 08:08 PM
Wait, you of all people are complaining about your daughter's first date?

If I was your size, I'd consider the act of intimidating some obnoxious, Ank-like 12 year old the highlight of my parenting career. :D

Lizzerd
04-11-05, 08:30 PM
I think you should give the young man the opportunity to meet you first. No, let me rephrase that. The young man should be required to meet you first. Something tells me he would behave himself afterwards.

racer2c
04-11-05, 08:31 PM
I feel your pain man. My girl is 14 and very cute. Her mom and I are pretty old fashioned it seems when it comes to our daughter and 'boyfriends'. We have had a mandate that she will not go on unsupervised 'dates' until she is 16 and even then we need to know the boy and be comfortable with the situation. Of course she has male friends at school. I know there is one boy who follows her around like a puppy, but she claims she only likes him as a friend. She's been pretty understanding about the issue, because she trusts how we have phased 'growing' aspects in, such as, when she was 12 she was allowed to start wear fingernail polish to school, but no red and it had to 'go' with what she was wearing. Then the next year she was allowed to wear lip gloss. The next year a dab of perfume. Her mom is really doing good on that end (I don't get involved). The same thing with jewelry.
Compared to her friends, you would think we are raising a little nun. Most of her female school mates started wearing makeup in the fifth grade and have had boyfreinds for many years. At 14, you would think that some of them are planning for careers on street corners. I'm not exaggerating either. But I digress, back to boys. I've had many heart to heart talks with my daughter about how boyfriends are a fact of life no matter how much I don't like it yadda yadda. But my point to those talks revolves around not letting the boys be the central focus of her life and to keep her eye on her goals. She has a goal of becoming an equine veterinarian. A goal she has had for many years. I dread her high school years immensely. The past year or so I've really been letting her mom handle things along these ends which is OK by me because now mom is the bad guy!

oddlycalm
04-11-05, 09:04 PM
Kids are all different and it's not a one size fits all situation. We had a level headed girl that was mature for her age and didn't allow herself to get victimized by anyone, regardless of gender or size, so it was an easier challenge than some face. Our approach was that if the cops aren't at the door, there are no irreversible body modifications and there aren't any unwanted pregnancies, it's a successful mission. She did all the usual teenage stuff, hated school and got average grades. We didn't bust her cookies, so she wasn't afraid to tell us what was up. A less confident and assertive kid would be a different story.

Sure enough, at age 31 she's got her masters in a technical field, a great career, and is generally too tired at the end of the week to consider having much of a social life, let alone kids of her own. We do enjoy occasionally embarrassing her by pulling out pictures of the experimental haircuts, dumb makeup days and goofy clothes from her teenage years, but then that's what parents are for isn't it...? ;)

oc

B3RACER1a
04-11-05, 09:06 PM
I dont have this problem yet...lol. But, from a young man's prospective. Whenever I went on a first date, I usually tried to get to know her parents or at least know who they were before I asked them out. I guess I'm just old fashioned too. It just made things a bit more comfortable for me to know that her parents knew who I was, and approved. :thumbup:

You're doing a good thing. If he doesnt want to meet you, even if he is this young (but goes for any age), there is something wrong! Even if you dont like each other, there should be some show of repect there.

Paintergeek
04-11-05, 09:28 PM
I fear that I will be in the same situation soon. I am immensely worried about that time as it approaches.(My girl is 9 this year). But I know how young I was when I first began having a 'goal' to meet with girls I went out with. I knew what went where, and where I wanted to be, and was only 10/11. So, as mentioned in an earlier thread, I guess I am being paid back for those days by having girls of my own. My biggest fear is not the dating, but the 'kind' of boys. I know I was the girls' parents worst nightmare, Long-haired metal head. But my biggest fear is the, Um........Whats the PC term for it.......Wannabe's? Theres another w-word that rhymes with digger that comes to mind first. Another big fear is the cars/bikes/scooters popular today. (I sound like an old man and just turned 30 a couple weeks ago!). But it seems scooters and moped are EVERYWHERE now, and usually going 20MPH on public roads with two preteens on it.

Again, I feel your pain, and will share it shortly. But shes a smart girl who really eats up the anti-drug programs, so maybe the other programs will stick too. Plus, we openly discuss things like this, and cigarettes, and dont deny that we have tried them. We try to teach that most things arent that bad if you dont abuse it, Like Cake, and cookies and Soda. Everything in moderation. My life motto.

Except boys. No boys :)

RaceGrrl
04-11-05, 10:00 PM
I can't believe Brit is already 12. I'm sure he'll be a perfect gentleman after you answer the door when he arrives.

Thank god we didn't have kids! :eek:

rocket
04-11-05, 10:28 PM
I can't believe Brit is already 12. I'm sure he'll be a perfect gentleman after you answer the door when he arrives.

Thank god we didn't have kids! :eek:

The age thing is what freaks me out the most. I'm not really a sentimental type of guy unless it concerns Brit. I just can't bear the fact that she is growing up, and before I know it I'll be giving her away at her wedding. When I think about everything that has happened, divorce etc. The ex and myself handled that without any of the usual BS and we do get along just fine now. The fact that Brit lives with mom though, I sometimes feel makes my bond with her that much stronger when we are together...probably since I don't get to experince that type of thing on a daily basis. Anyway one of the things that I enjoy the most is giving her new experiences. Like going to Mexico, (we'll do that again next year) down there she gets to see whales, and a whole new environment, fiestas and parties, hell last time there she even tried a shot of Tequila. She hated it, hopefully that attitude sticks. We scored tix through my work for the corporate skybox at a Bulls game this year. Going to the USGP...and Cleveland this year...she likes going to the races with Dad. Over the next 2 years as well as going to Mexico, we will be going to Alaska and taking a trip to Florida to swim with the dolphns at Discovery Bay.
These are the things I will miss the most, being able to share the new experiences with her, and seeing how she just takes it all in. It's hard to describe, but you can almost see them growing right in front of you.

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 10:41 PM
Since I always seem to screw things up after the first date, I've only met the parents of one girl, and that was before homecoming dance back in 11th grade. It apparently didn't go too good. Let me put it this way: The way I act on these forums is the way I act pretty much everywhere. :D One of these days I'll find a girl with low enough self-esteem that I can get away with those kinds of things. :)

dando
04-11-05, 10:57 PM
she'll be 12 this year
I feel for ya, rocket. I've got 10+ years to go to get to that stage, and I'm planning to enjoy as much of it as I can. In the meantime I'll be polishing my shotgun... ;)

-Kevin

B3RACER1a
04-11-05, 11:34 PM
....and I'm not afraid to go back to jail!

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-12-05, 12:11 AM
Hmmmm,'

Should I feel lucky here?

Amanda is rather unique. Enough said or else I will get into trouble.

Yes, I do feel very lucky.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-12-05, 10:06 AM
And so it starts, she called me tonight to ask if she could call one of the boys she met during spring break. I thought the boy was supposed to ask me...anyhow she lives with her mom and mom was like, go call your dad and ask him. I said I wasn't gonna say no so go ahead and ask him out for pizza. That's her plan anyways. At that point I asked to speak with the ex, I asked her if I should shoot myself now or later. The ex was like she seems young to be interested in boys (she'll be 12 this year), but she is much more mature (mentally, and somewhat physically) than most kids her age. She already has a, dah...dah.....a training bra :shakehead

I just want her to stay daddy's little girl forever.Guess it's true that girls mature faster than boys.

My son, 12, still hasn't gotten to the point of noticing girls. He's more interested in the new Star Wars film coming out.

But a few have noticed him. The ex called me the other day saying that two of them walked by his Little League practice and shouted out his name and waved. She told me he turned red, gave a perfunctory wave of the hand, put his hat lower on his head, then proceeded to muff the ground ball that he usually grabs.

Call me stoopid, but it sort of bugs me, I mean I was into girls when I was 10.

FTG
04-12-05, 10:22 AM
I guess this would be a bad place to mention that young girls are increasingly willing to perform oral sex at younger and younger ages. Forget that I mentioned it.

indyfan31
04-12-05, 12:13 PM
Not to rain on the parade of well wishes, but a 11-year-old on a date? Even a play-date? That would give me the willies. Not that anything would happen, just that it sets a behaviour pattern way too early in life.
Now I don't know your child of course, and I don't have kids myself, but just say this to yourself: An 11 year old girl on a date and see if it makes sense.
(I'll get off the soapbox now)

Hard Driver
04-12-05, 01:14 PM
Not there yet. Oldest son is 10 and daughter is 5. He has no interest in girls at all...yet. Although he does know which ones look pretty.

I don't think you need to worry about the first date at 11 almost 12. It is the car dates in a couple of years that should worry you.

Turn7
04-12-05, 02:52 PM
Dude are you insane?

Lock her up in the basement for the next 6 years. I got a 13 year old that has been incarcerated for the last year now and it isn't so bad. Don't give in, don't do it. :p

Turn7
04-12-05, 02:54 PM
Not to rain on the parade of well wishes, but a 11-year-old on a date? Even a play-date? That would give me the willies. Not that anything would happen, just that it sets a behaviour pattern way too early in life.
Now I don't know your child of course, and I don't have kids myself, but just say this to yourself: An 11 year old girl on a date and see if it makes sense.
(I'll get off the soapbox now)

Keep going preacherman, we aren't tired. :thumbup:

Brickman
04-12-05, 03:34 PM
Man-O-man I'm glad I lucked out with my daughter during the early dating years. Personally no dating before 16.

My brother on the other hand is sending his daughter to an ALL GIRL SCHOOL because she is sooooo boy crazy.

cart7
04-12-05, 03:38 PM
I thankfully never had a daughter, though I'm sure I'd be a real pain in the arse when it came to dating boys. I'm not so sure about 12 year old's dating unless there was some sort of parental chaperoning involved, but then again I'm old school and old fashion.

Sean O'Gorman
04-12-05, 07:23 PM
Just a thought here, but IMHO the more you discourage dating, the more tempted they are going to be to do "bad things" (whatever those are).

Ankf00
04-12-05, 07:44 PM
Guess it's true that girls mature faster than boys.

My son, 12, still hasn't gotten to the point of noticing girls. He's more interested in the new Star Wars film coming out.

But a few have noticed him. The ex called me the other day saying that two of them walked by his Little League practice and shouted out his name and waved. She told me he turned red, gave a perfunctory wave of the hand, put his hat lower on his head, then proceeded to muff the ground ball that he usually grabs.

Call me stoopid, but it sort of bugs me, I mean I was into girls when I was 10.

next thing he's going to tell you he likes barbie dolls and skin tight pink button up shirts ;)

Sean O'Gorman
04-12-05, 11:02 PM
And the Texas Longhorns

anait
04-13-05, 10:17 AM
We'll be diving into the teen dating waters in a few years. Our oldest daughter is 12, but thankfully hasn't started being really 'into' boys. Her best friend is a boy (he and his parents are very close friends of ours), three years older, but she has NO dating interest in him, nor he in her. He's got some very difficult medical problems, medications to struggle with...the two kids are more like brother and sister, literally, than anything else. We are very open talking with our daughter about him, and about all her friends and acquaintances.

There's another kid in her class at school that seems a really good match for her, interest-wise, intellectually-wise, even 'size-wise'...(our daughter is bigger and taller than me, built like a brick ****-house - in a very athletic way - and is on her way to being at least 6' tall...she can already pass for a university student)... But when we tease her about him, she just rolls her eyes, makes gagging noises... :D She is definitely not wanting to date yet.

However - if she's her father's and mother's daughter, we will have many many many sleepless nights once she does get interested. :eek: Dang. Well, I can be a very intimidating little woman when I want to be...I guess I should start convincing mr anait to work on his own death glare for the college boyfriends.... :p

TKGAngel
04-13-05, 12:14 PM
My brother on the other hand is sending his daughter to an ALL GIRL SCHOOL because she is sooooo boy crazy.

Speaking as someone who went to an all girls school, it really doesn't help matters. Most all-girls schools do have a brother school, and there's always the announcements about the latest dance/football game/play, not to mention the fights over window seats on the days when the cute lawn mower man comes...

Warlock!
04-13-05, 12:33 PM
Speaking as someone who went to an all girls school, it really doesn't help matters. Most all-girls schools do have a brother school, and there's always the announcements about the latest dance/football game/play, not to mention the fights over window seats on the days when the cute lawn mower man comes...
I still have dreams about being in an all-girl school.

Joelski
04-14-05, 01:54 PM
Joe,

Watch Bad Boys 2 prior to meeting this fine young man. ;)

Your friend,

Joelski

Dr. Corkski
04-14-05, 02:15 PM
Just make sure your daughters' dates never take her to a Mexican fast food restaurant, metal concerts, and hockey games at Madison Square Garden. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
04-14-05, 04:11 PM
Just make sure your daughters' dates never take her to a Mexican fast food restaurant, metal concerts, and hockey games at Madison Square Garden. ;)

As if they didn't have enough to worry about before you brought him up... :eek:

Ankf00
04-14-05, 11:42 PM
dude, wtf....

priority #1: make sure 1st date isn't OGorman :gomer:

after that you got it made :cool: