PDA

View Full Version : Good Job Champ Car

nrc
04-10-05, 10:12 PM
Hats off to Champ car. They installed quite a few new people this year and things seemed to run very smooth. Cautions seemed to be reasonbly quick. Eliminating the pit windows put more strategies in play without appearing to hurt the racing.

Good job. :thumbup:

Don Quixote
04-10-05, 10:15 PM
Agreed. Looking forward to a great season! I agree with chop that this is one of the best, and most competetive grids ever. :thumbup:

dando
04-10-05, 10:30 PM
I concur. The revamped race control appeared to do quite well (read as they were invisible). :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

devilmaster
04-10-05, 10:53 PM
Agreed. If the plan is to have more local yellows and less FCYs, plan to put a starter in the cars....

All in all, it was a good clean race, everyone got through T1, we saw passing, different fuel strategies....

Only complaint, someone slap Marshall's wrist for getting in the way on the last restart....

Steve

Turn7
04-10-05, 10:53 PM
I think it needs work but, I still enjoyed watching. The production company will need to work on quite a few things. Hopefully they will watch the tape and learn for the next production from their mistakes.

I am expecting better things this year over last. Under the circumstances, they got a pass for bush league antics and quality last year. They have had a year to solidify things. I will consider the same old same old a failure this year.

The field of drivers has improved vastly. Race control did a fantastic job. Bridgestone didn't drive me insane with the same ad spot over and over. I liked the graphics with the exception of when they would display the the field in increments of 4 in the upper left going vertically down. That took up too much room and often times blocked the direction that the camera was panning.

Lastly, Race Director doesn't suck when you no longer have an account. :p

Sean O'Gorman
04-10-05, 11:05 PM
TV footage was good, but I've gotten so used to the scrolling standings across the top of the screen that it sucks not having it. Plus you could never tell what lap they were on.

Anyone know how long it takes before the race gets put up on race director? I'm mailing the tape out to someone on another forum who lives in Japan. :)

Hard Driver
04-10-05, 11:54 PM
:thumbup:
I prefer a road course over a concrete canyon street course, even Long Beach But considering that, that race was great. :)

Some actual passing on the track for the lead and podium. The option tires and open pit windows made for some interesting strategy angles, which should be part of racing. And the Cosworth power button (P2P) really did make for some passing. :cool:

Hard Driver
04-10-05, 11:58 PM
I liked the graphics with the exception of when they would display the the field in increments of 4 in the upper left going vertically down. That took up too much room and often times blocked the direction that the camera was panning.

I would also vote for the running order scrolling along the bottom. That block in the upper left often was were I was trying to look.

FRANKY
04-11-05, 12:25 AM
Lastly, Race Director doesn't suck when you no longer have an account. :p

:laugh:

jonovision_man
04-11-05, 08:52 AM
TV footage was good, but I've gotten so used to the scrolling standings across the top of the screen that it sucks not having it. Plus you could never tell what lap they were on.

The director also missed a few key moments, had to pick them up on replay... and they were pretty obvious ones, like PT on Junky after the restart... we all knew he was going to take a stab.

Can't complain too much though, compared to last year it was really quite good.
jono

Spicoli
04-11-05, 09:03 AM
I concur. The revamped race control appeared to do quite well (read as they were invisible). :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Its my understanding that Tony Cottman called the shots in race control. I think we made out like bandits in the "Lopes-Cottman" exchange. :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
04-11-05, 09:42 AM
I enjoyed the race and thought the coverage was pretty good. I miss the scrolling running order though. The block graphic in the upper left hand with the animated "sparklies" was very annoying. More coverage of the racing back in the pack would be good. Their choice of musical bumpers was amusing and the feature segments about AJ and the Ronald McDonald House were good- MUCH better than the stupid Spike features.

**Bring back the scroll, please. It was one of the best things about last year's broadcasts. I liked seeing the amount of P2P remaining and individual lap times and lap speeds.

KobySon
04-11-05, 09:52 AM
I enjoyed the race and thought the coverage was pretty good. I miss the scrolling running order though. The block graphic in the upper left hand with the animated "sparklies" was very annoying. More coverage of the racing back in the pack would be good. Their choice of musical bumpers was amusing and the feature segments about AJ and the Ronald McDonald House were good- MUCH better than the stupid Spike features.

**Bring back the scroll, please. It was one of the best things about last year's broadcasts. I liked seeing the amount of P2P remaining and individual lap times and lap speeds.

These comments are so great. I just met one of the guys who designed that look last year. I'll definitely pass this link to him, I know he'd get a kick out of it.

kk

Fitti Fan
04-11-05, 10:49 AM
I enjoyed the race and thought the coverage was pretty good. I miss the scrolling running order though. The block graphic in the upper left hand with the animated "sparklies" was very annoying.

Agree with you on those points. The colors made the graphics so difficult to read. No need to get all fancy pants guys. Keep it nice and simple so it's readable.

Now just have to wait until the next one. Dang!!!

Andrew Longman
04-11-05, 11:09 AM
I had a blast.

The weather was great in Jersey and for the first time this Spring I had all the windows open and fresh air blowing through the house.

I had the race on, my laptop up with several Race Director pop ups on. The sound of turbos screaming up through the gears

Total sensory pleasure. (just missing the smell of methanol. Can you get a methanol scented candle or something? :gomer: )

Did anyone notice on Wilson's in car camera (on RD) his banzai pursuit of Junky at the end? He nearly lost it several times trying to get that podium. Good stuff.

chop456
04-11-05, 11:20 AM
Good job, and it's only going to get better. :thumbup:

RichK
04-11-05, 11:35 AM
Great race. Great field. Great cars. :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
04-11-05, 12:12 PM
Another A-1 effort. I had a great time and it was great seeing old friends and recognizable faces. The race was good and yes, there was passing.

The crowds were heavy all three days and that's something the I*L can't say.

Champ Car forever.

:D :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 12:59 PM
I have one minor complaint, and I just know this is going to get blown out of proportion, but I'm going to say it anyway.

The track surface just looks absolutely horrible with all the tire marks left on track by the drifters. It looks like every car must've spun at least 100 times. :rolleyes:

devilmaster
04-11-05, 01:08 PM
But......

I thought you liked drifting? :confused:

;)

Racing Truth
04-11-05, 01:09 PM
:thumbup:
I prefer a road course over a concrete canyon street course, even Long Beach But considering that, that race was great. :)

Some actual passing on the track for the lead and podium. The option tires and open pit windows made for some interesting strategy angles, which should be part of racing. And the Cosworth power button (P2P) really did make for some passing. :cool:

The tires were a GREAT addition. :thumbup:

ONLY complaint: Derek Daly really needs to calm down, just a touch. Enthusiasm is great, but it really was a tad much for me.

Overall, A.

RichK
04-11-05, 01:10 PM
I have one minor complaint, and I just know this is going to get blown out of proportion, but I'm going to say it anyway.

The track surface just looks absolutely horrible with all the tire marks left on track by the drifters. It looks like every car must've spun at least 100 times. :rolleyes:

I thought so too. It was strangely distracting!

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 01:15 PM
But......

I thought you liked drifting? :confused:

;)

Actually, its funny, when I was at the Boneyard yesterday I was talking to someone in Champ Car gear since he was the only Champ Car fan there apparently, and he asked me what I thought of drifting. I found out 5 minutes later that he is the marketing guy for the Cleveland GP. :D

oddlycalm
04-11-05, 01:22 PM
Overall, a good race though. Clearly CCWS is paying attention and listening, and organizations that do that eventually get it right. As mentioned by others, race control did a cracking job and the yellow flags were necessary and shorter than in the past. :thumbup:

Considering it was a street race, the amount of contact was minor. With the exception of a couple rookies, the drivers showed seriously good car control.

oc

Racing Truth
04-11-05, 01:46 PM

I kept wondering about that. Didn't distract me, but now it makes sense./

Napoleon
04-11-05, 02:00 PM
Actually, its funny, when I was at the Boneyard yesterday I was talking to someone in Champ Car gear since he was the only Champ Car fan there apparently, and he asked me what I thought of drifting. I found out 5 minutes later that he is the marketing guy for the Cleveland GP. :D

They are having a drifting demo at the CGP this year.

oddlycalm
04-11-05, 02:10 PM
They are having a drifting demo at the CGP this year. Hey, if it gets the import tuner crowd to buy tickets and get exposed to the racing, then great. That's the biggest demographic in the performance automotive market and no racing organization has been able to crack it. Gearheads are gearheads, and once they get around Champcars some of them are going to get hooked on them. Pretty good guerrilla marketing if you ask me.

Yeah, I know, drifting for no reason is lame, but unless someone shows them the way to the racetrack they clearly aren't going to learn any better themselves.

oc

RichK
04-11-05, 02:27 PM
Cosworth is also going after the import crowd...

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 04:26 PM
Cosworth is also going after the import crowd...

But a Focus isn't JDM so it'll get completely overlooked by typical drift fans, just like the Mopars and GTO that were winning in Formula D last year but were getting booed for being American. :rolleyes: