PDA

View Full Version : Moto GP (spoilers)

Rogue Leader
04-10-05, 03:54 PM
Did anyone see the end of that!?!?!?!??! HOLY CRAP

eiregosod
04-10-05, 05:04 PM
I'm now wishin I got out of bed before 2pm to see it though. must check for highlights!

RichK
04-11-05, 11:39 AM
Best. Race. Ever. (or one of them!)

I had my podium pick come true until Nicky let me down....AGAIN! :cry:

lone_groover
04-11-05, 11:51 AM
Good thing Brainfart don't run the GPs, because those boys change their lines, block, and NEVER listen to their spotters!

:p

oddlycalm
04-11-05, 02:26 PM
Rogue Leader, you might wanna change the title of your thread to "The Best Race Of The Year." That last lap was one for the books. :thumbup: Pass for the lead, repass, contact and pass.... I have the race on Replay and must have watched the last lap a dozen times now, a couple of them with the passes in slow motion. Wooooohooooo!

People that didn't watch missed what might very well end up being the best race of the year of any kind. No wonder why the popularity of MotoGP is soaring at a time when ratings and attendance for most racing series are stagnent.

Hayden had a solid podium in the bag with 7 to go, and had even passed Rossi once for 2nd. He was definitely sliding the bike less than last year, but he still couldn't keep his tires under him. Hope he didn't get busted up when he came off. I figure he has one more season to show some results. He is able to stay with the fast guys, but he still has to destroy his tires to do it. Since he likely has the best ride in the field, my take is that he has a way to go yet.

oc

RichK
04-11-05, 03:35 PM
My outsider opinion is that Nicky has a mental block. He commits many unforced errors.

jons
04-11-05, 10:42 PM
Here in Seattle, the MotoGP ended just before the Long Beach GP. I tried to watch the Champcars, but had to record it for later. Nothing could match the race I just saw! :cool: It turned out that Long Beach was good, but...
It will be a great season if Sete takes it to Rossi like he did yesterday. Seems nobody else can. We will see. :thumbup: Jeeze, the next race is this Sunday too! Can't wait!

Rogue Leader
04-11-05, 10:51 PM
I agree oddlycalm....

I jumped out of my seat watching that.... It was unbelieveable!

The Doctor
04-12-05, 10:45 AM
Found these pictures on 'Soup. They say it all.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/2005mgp/jerez/2/3_ms8.jpg

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/2005mgp/jerez/2/4_11.jpg

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/2005mgp/jerez/2/5_87.jpg

Although I will say that it was an amazing last lap that had me out of my chair and yelling, I would've preferred a cleaner last pass. But Sete did leave the door open and The Doctor pounced. Sete again gets pushed around by Rossi even when he leads most of the race. Bodes well for a great season-long battle, though.

Val is going to need an armored car to travel in for Barcelona, though. :laugh:

Wally
04-12-05, 10:50 AM
Two things surprised me after that corner.
Both riders stayed on two wheels
Sete took the high road at the post race interview.

Other than that it was just racing. :thumbup:

RichK
04-15-05, 02:14 PM
Some good stuff from MotoGP.com:

Gresini speaks up after FIM President’s letter
News, 15/04/05

Movistar Honda team manager Fausto Gresini sent an open letter to the media on Thursday night in response to a private letter sent by FIM President Francesco Zerbi to MotoGP riders Valentino Rossi and Sete Gibernau following last weekend’s clash during the Jerez race.

Mr Zerbi´s letter had invited the riders to reflect upon the incident, and to remain as positive examples for all MotoGP fans – asking them to fight fairly and without will of revenge. The FIM President also wrote that he didn’t see any infringement to the rules, but stressed that this kind of situation shouldn’t be repeated.

The comments made by Gresini were:
“I fully agree with President Zerbi about the fact that sportsmanship is the most important thing. There’s no room for bitter feelings between two great riders, but in the meantime, I’m still perplex.”

“In this letter, Sete and Valentino are treated equally as if Sete had some responsibility in the facts, and I can’t agree with that. I believe there is a contradiction when the FIM president writes ‘there isn’t anything to reproach you for from a legal point of view’, and then warns that what happened in Jerez must not occur again.”

“It means that we’re still far from a situation where all have equal rights, in a sport as dangerous as ours,” concluded the Italian manager.

To what Zerbi replied

FIM President responds to Gresini’s open letter
News, 15/04/05

M. Francesco Zerbi, President of the FIM (Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme) has replied to a press release issued on Thursday night by the Movistar Honda team, in which team manager Fausto Gresini publicly responded to a prior private letter sent by the sport’s governing body in relation to the incident involving his rider Sete Gibernau and Gauloises Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi. The Movistar Honda team press release also included the original and confidential text.

Here is the reply by M. Francesco Zerbi:

Dear Mr Gresini,

I should not respond personally to your open letter given to the press, but through the intermediary of my lawyers; however, considering that I subscribe to the rules of courtesy and that I believe private life is a right that no-one can deny, I am not going to enter into a controversy – an easy one given the ridiculous arguments in your letter.
The only thing that I want to stress and which, as a man, mortifies me is that I am mistaken in my judgment of men. And that I say on an individual level far more than on an institutional level.

With much bitterness,

Francesco Zerbi
FIM President

NB: I am sending this letter to the press because your employee, by violating all principles of education, more so than of law, did not hesitate to betray the confidence that had been granted to him.

oddlycalm
04-15-05, 02:40 PM
Great pics! Considering the fact that Rossi did a bank shot off Sete (who held the racing line) on the last pass, and considering the stakes involved, I figured there would be some high level fear and loathing in the aftermath. :D

Looking forward to Estoril. Hopefully Hayden's attention span will allow him to finish this week...

oc