PDA

View Full Version : Montreal or Toronto?

KLang
04-10-05, 12:47 PM
It's finally time to pick out a replacement for RoadAmerica. My wife said she'd like to go to one of these two races as we've never visited either place. So if you had your pick which would you chose? How is motel availability close to the track? Likelyhood of getting good seats at this point? etc....

Rogue Leader
04-10-05, 01:20 PM
I went to Montreal Last year, and I got really good seats in like June I think I odered them..... It was an amazing experience, get the Paddock pass the whole 3 days are just kickass!

Wingnut
04-10-05, 01:31 PM
It's finally time to pick out a replacement for RoadAmerica. My wife said she'd like to go to one of these two races as we've never visited either place. So if you had your pick which would you chose? How is motel availability close to the track? Likelyhood of getting good seats at this point? etc....

I've been to both and I'd have to say that hands down, Montreal is the better race. Both are great cities, but the race itself is better in PQ. Probably quite easy still to get great seats. We always sit in the hairpin (Bronze tickets) and have a blast.

Hotwire and Priceline are the best bets for hotel rooms (no motels that I'm aware of). Oh, and you don't have to worry about driving to the track in Montreal, either, you just hop on the Metro and it takes you right to Parc Jean Drapeau (no cars allowed) The nightlife is fantastic, too.

KLang
04-10-05, 02:02 PM
(no motels that I'm aware of)

:o I incorrectly use motel and hotel interchangeably. I mean a Marriot or Hyatt or place like that, hopefully near the track and restaurants and nightlife.

pferrf1
04-10-05, 02:18 PM
Montreal - hands down

oddlycalm
04-10-05, 02:37 PM
It's a win either way, but I'd have to pick Montreal. I love visiting Toronto, but the course there just isn't in the same league as it's a street/parking lot course. After you go to Montreal for the Champcar race, I predict you will be juicing to be there for the F1 race the following year as well. If you decide to, make your reservations real early for that one.

Just asked my wife to check the female take and she said "Montreal, there's more to do and more good restaurants."

oc

Dr. Corkski
04-10-05, 03:44 PM
You can't really go wrong with either but I would just go to Montreal for the road course.

skinny puppy
04-10-05, 03:55 PM
I have been to both, and both were a blast. If you wanna go to a race with an international feel, go to Montreal. Toronto is great but kinda like any other 'American' city. As for tickets, GA for Toronto, there are alot of great places to walk too. For Montreal try to get a ticket in the Turn 1 area. (Oh and just an fyi, if you 'think' you can speak french, don't try in Montreal unless you are fluent! ;) )

Jervis Tetch 1
04-11-05, 12:22 PM
Why can't we have both?

KLang
04-11-05, 02:59 PM
Thank you all for the responses.

After more discussion with the wife we decided the Montreal date is too close to the Las Vegas date for us, so it looks like we are going to go to Toronto.

Looking at a map online it looks like the Hotels are a little ways from the track. Is there public transportation of some sort or is a rental car preferred?

I'm looking at the Radisson, Sheraton or the Cambridge Suites. Anyone have any experiance with these or suggest an alternative?

goldpanracing
04-11-05, 06:22 PM
you can catch street car from downtown to the race at exhibition place

Dr. Corkski
04-11-05, 06:31 PM
Toronto's public transportation system is excellent. Street car will get you to and from the track. In fact you are probably better off not driving.

IIRC a lot of teams stayed at the Sheraton, though I think fourrunner would know this better than I do since I think he stayed there as well. Make sure you pay a visit to the Lone Star Grill while you are there, I hear they are great for birthday parties. :D

slashman
04-11-05, 06:43 PM
KLANG.. Check your Pm's

fourrunner
04-11-05, 08:54 PM
Toronto's public transportation system is excellent. Street car will get you to and from the track. In fact you are probably better off not driving.

IIRC a lot of teams stayed at the Sheraton, though I think fourrunner would know this better than I do since I think he stayed there as well. Make sure you pay a visit to the Lone Star Grill while you are there, I hear they are great for birthday parties. :D

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza the first two years I went ( Now the Inter-Continental ... its adjacent to the Convention Centre, and a quick cab ride to the Race .... ( Cabs are quicker than the Subway, especially on raceday and not that expensive, although you have to tip )

The Renaissance Hotel attached to the Sky Dome is closer to the Race ... The "Nut" family stayed there more than once, so it must be OK

None of these options is cheap .... I found though that I spent little time in the room, but the amenities were very nice.

Cheaper rooms are available but further away ...

But Toronto is an easy City to get around in !

It's a Nice City to walk in too

Check Expedia.com for a list of hotels at varying prices

I think I'm going this year, but I might try other races!

I'll figure it out in a month or so!

cyclepath
04-11-05, 10:05 PM

Your Birthday this time cork???? ;)

ncmlj
04-11-05, 10:57 PM
I stayed at the Crowne Plaza the first two years I went ( Now the Inter-Continental ... its adjacent to the Convention Centre, and a quick cab ride to the Race .... ( Cabs are quicker than the Subway, especially on raceday and not that expensive, although you have to tip )

The Renaissance Hotel attached to the Sky Dome is closer to the Race ... The "Nut" family stayed there more than once, so it must be OK

None of these options is cheap .... I found though that I spent little time in the room, but the amenities were very nice.

Cheaper rooms are available but further away ...

But Toronto is an easy City to get around in !

It's a Nice City to walk in too

Check Expedia.com for a list of hotels at varying prices

I think I'm going this year, but I might try other races!

I'll figure it out in a month or so!

I stayed at Crowne Plaza also but, I didn't use a cab or subway I just walked it, it wasn't really that far and was plenty to view on my walk. After all day at the track though wifes feet got tired so I gave her piggy back ride. I don't think it's much over a mile from Crowne Plaza to the track. By the time you get a cab and thru the traffic you could probably be back walking. Oh and the hotel I have to say it was pretty damn nice.

RHR_Fan
04-11-05, 11:22 PM
We have stayed at the SkyDome in the past and we would walk to the track. Depending on how fast you walk it would take about 30-40 minutes (from SkyDome) to get there. You'd have to get up and leave earlier, but I didn't mind it. It's a nice walk, especially by the waterfront, on the Quay. I'd always stop and buy a Toronto Sun to see which driver was the Sunshine Boy. Unless Paddock passes are free, I wouldn't get them. They're nice, but it can get SO crowded in there and seeing drivers is hard to do.

~Nicole

ncmlj
04-12-05, 06:28 PM
We have stayed at the SkyDome in the past and we would walk to the track. Depending on how fast you walk it would take about 30-40 minutes (from SkyDome) to get there. You'd have to get up and leave earlier, but I didn't mind it. It's a nice walk, especially by the waterfront, on the Quay. I'd always stop and buy a Toronto Sun to see which driver was the Sunshine Boy. Unless Paddock passes are free, I wouldn't get them. They're nice, but it can get SO crowded in there and seeing drivers is hard to do.

~Nicole

Paddock pass? or pit pass? I would get the paddock pass but, the pit pass was useless if you ask me.

RHR_Fan
04-12-05, 10:49 PM
Paddock pass? or pit pass? I would get the paddock pass but, the pit pass was useless if you ask me.

I did mean the paddock pass. They are nice and can provide autograph opportunities. Maybe I'm just used to easier access at other races (ie RA). I guess if it's your first time going and if you can afford it, go for it.

~Nicole

Wingnut
04-13-05, 10:11 AM
I did mean the paddock pass. They are nice and can provide autograph opportunities. Maybe I'm just used to easier access at other races (ie RA). I guess if it's your first time going and if you can afford it, go for it.

We're the opposite. We ALWAYS get paddock passes for Toronto. It's crowded but the photo ops are great and quite a bit of driver access. We don't bother for Montreal because it's so narrow and SUCH a long hike; not worth it, IMHO.

KLang
04-13-05, 10:17 AM
Thanks all for the help! :thumbup:

I've got air and Motel (Holiday Inn on King) reservations made. No rental car.

Now I can't decide on the Gold or Silver stands. I know we won't use the seats much on Friday or Saturday but I do like to have a reserved seat on race day. Got to have paddock access, wouldn't be a proper race weekend without it.

Has anyone tried one of the Club hospitality packages? Worth it?

ncmlj
04-13-05, 05:16 PM
Thanks all for the help! :thumbup:

I've got air and Motel (Holiday Inn on King) reservations made. No rental car.

Now I can't decide on the Gold or Silver stands. I know we won't use the seats much on Friday or Saturday but I do like to have a reserved seat on race day. Got to have paddock access, wouldn't be a proper race weekend without it.

Has anyone tried one of the Club hospitality packages? Worth it?

I did the Gold package I thought it was great sitting right above the pits. I had seats at the top but, really I don't think it matters high or low. If I go again this year which I am working on, it will be GOLD!