PDA

View Full Version : Shameless plug : Great 500 childrens book by my Dad / dedicated to Tony Bettenhausen

Paintergeek
04-09-05, 10:42 PM
Hello All.

I hate to 'use' the forum for a plug, But this is quite on-topic and I think would be of great interest to many of you, either for your own kids, or for a nephew/neice, or anyone who is growing up an open wheel / indy car fan.

My dad is an Author of a line of childrens books based around known holidays and events. He writes a ficticious account of how said event/holiday came to be. He writes and illustrates 100% of the books. I plugged his first book on 7G a few years back, and he is now on #5 with #6 already in the works.

What makes these books even more special is that each of the first four were named for his kids, and the fourth of the series is named for and based around...Well....Me! :thumbup: Whats even cooler is that this particular book is entirely based on my time with the Bettenhausen Motorsports team. There are numerous references to Tony B and to me throughout the book, usually tucked in the background. (such as the car is #16, and there is a racoon painting car parts on one page....:gomer:, and Salsa referring to Herdez taking over the team ) See this link for all of the historical facts hidden into a childrens book. It makes it fun for the adult reading it, and the child learns without even knowing it!

Hidden history and references in JP + the 500 mile race (http://www.peterjwelling.com/activities/#justin)

I also requested during the writing of the book to include a dedication to Tony B, His wife, and other two teammates and lifelong friends lost that horrible day, 2/14/00. He did so, and with great class.

The book is called Justin Potemkin and the 500 mile race, and fuses the classic tale of the Tortoise and the Hare and the Indy 500. It can be seen at Amazon.com and barnes and noble.com. Dad is a Hooiser native, IU grad, and still lives right here in Indy. Anyone interested in having a copy signed can contact me or write him directly via his website. It is really cheap on Amazon right now, and has an average rating of 5 stars.

Thanks for letting me show this off. I am incredibly proud of his accomplishments, and to be a part of this book and its storyline.

click here to see Justin Potemkin and the 500 Mile Race at Amazon.com. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1589801490/qid=1113099648/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/103-0646816-1823839?v=glance&s=books)

click here for Justin Potemkin's page of Peterjwelling.com (http://www.peterjwelling.com/books/justin/)

Thanks again.

Justin 'Paintergeek' Welling

nrc
04-09-05, 11:33 PM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-10-05, 12:07 PM
Justin,

What a wonderful idea. the book sounds very cool. Your dad must have great mind to interweave such unique concepts into a book for children.

Also, check your e-mail.

oddlycalm
04-10-05, 02:13 PM
It's a great childrens book 'geek. Since I first became aquainted with it we've given it as a give a number of times to young people on their birthdays, and it's always been well received by both the kids and their parents. It has a permanent place on my bookmark list on Amazon. :thumbup:

oc

Paintergeek
04-13-05, 07:11 PM
Shameless Bump :)

G.
04-14-05, 01:04 PM
what?

Page 22. A hodge podge. Let’s see, there is a salute to the IRL

My salute to the earl would prolly get me banned from posting...

G.
04-14-05, 01:52 PM
I also love the Amazon review from Feb 19, 2004. :laugh: Shameless plug indeed!

Best release by Mr. Welling to date, February 19, 2004
Reviewer: Justin Welling (Greenwood, IN United States)

I have been a big fan of Mr Wellings childrens books since a local grade school turned my daughter on to a copy of 'Andrew McGroundhog and his shady shadow'. I was then in touch with the author via his website (http://www.peterjwelling.com), and he notifies me of upcoming projects. This book, his latest, is my facorite to date because of my love for indy-car type racing. Although I am primarily a CART fan, this book is more 'general', and references 500 history in general, including a touching dedication to Tony Bettenhausen. His works are so refreshing compared to most childrens books, which are repetitive and boring. A must have for anyone with children, and a thirst for challenging reading that teaches AND entertains, something that is hard to accomplish and rare to find. A five star read. Cant wait to find out whats next.........

(ok, 'geek, a bit of funnin on ya. I ordered the book. Seriously. Thanks for the head's-up. Again, seriously.) :thumbup:

Paintergeek
04-14-05, 07:55 PM
I also love the Amazon review from Feb 19, 2004. :laugh: Shameless plug indeed!

Best release by Mr. Welling to date, February 19, 2004
Reviewer: Justin Welling (Greenwood, IN United States)

I have been a big fan of Mr Wellings childrens books since a local grade school turned my daughter on to a copy of 'Andrew McGroundhog and his shady shadow'. I was then in touch with the author via his website (http://www.peterjwelling.com), and he notifies me of upcoming projects. This book, his latest, is my facorite to date because of my love for indy-car type racing. Although I am primarily a CART fan, this book is more 'general', and references 500 history in general, including a touching dedication to Tony Bettenhausen. His works are so refreshing compared to most childrens books, which are repetitive and boring. A must have for anyone with children, and a thirst for challenging reading that teaches AND entertains, something that is hard to accomplish and rare to find. A five star read. Cant wait to find out whats next.........

(ok, 'geek, a bit of funnin on ya. I ordered the book. Seriously. Thanks for the head's-up. Again, seriously.) :thumbup:

Oh dear. Guilty Guilty Guilty! I coulda sworn I used a fake name! DOH! Maybe I pseudonymed another site. Oh well, The review is 100% honest, Except that I coulda just said "dad" instead of "the author" :o

G.
04-14-05, 08:28 PM
Oh dear. Guilty Guilty Guilty! I coulda sworn I used a fake name! DOH! Maybe I pseudonymed another site. Oh well, The review is 100% honest, Except that I coulda just said "dad" instead of "the author" :oNo man, check it. Under your name it has some logo like this:

REAL NAME tm
You are registered there, somewhere, and it replaced your fake name with your, well, REAL NAME (tm).

And really, who wouldn't do that for their dad, ferchrissakes.

And I did buy it. Let you know what the 7 yr old thinks about it (should get it next week).

lone_groover
04-15-05, 08:25 AM
Just in time! I have to try to be nice to a 5 year old kid (temporarily, I hope), and I'm clueless as to what they require.

Thanks for the heads-up, 'geek.

:thumbup: :)

anait
04-15-05, 09:07 AM
Looks great! :thumbup: All the reader's reviews I read seem to agree with your assessment...except the Library Book Reviewer, who must not be a race fan... :rolleyes: :D

G.
04-20-05, 01:21 PM
Got the book Monday, read it to g. last night. He liked it!

Wish I knew more about Russian history though...

Paintergeek
04-20-05, 07:06 PM
Great! Glad you / he liked it. I posted that one as its on topic, but the earlier ones in the series like McGroundhog and le Souffle are even better. Also, the neat part, is each time you read it, you find or 'get' new stuff. I watched the book be written and still find new stuff when I read it.And of course, Dad doesnt fill me in . He lets me find em.

Got the book Monday, read it to g. last night. He liked it!

Wish I knew more about Russian history though...