PDA

View Full Version : top yoda team leaving earl?

Spicoli
04-09-05, 05:24 PM
headlines at marxie's spyplanes R us. anyone have anything on this? :confused:

CHAMPCARS4EVER
04-09-05, 06:08 PM
Well, there's only really two Toyota teams that could be considered "prominent" in the EARL. It's either FRP or FCG.
UnderaCheever's team wouldn't be considered "prominent" by any definition.

nrc
04-09-05, 06:25 PM
I imagine that we'll hear a lot of this kind of thing as everyone tries to apply pressure for the engine rules that they want.

DaveL
04-09-05, 06:33 PM

I object. They are a first rate backmarker filler operation.

Spicoli
04-09-05, 06:54 PM
Overheard in Long Beach - II Word in Long Beach is that a prominent Toyota team has all but made the decision to leave the league after 2005. We are also hearing that Andretti Green Racing is considering starting a Grand-Am team with Honda, though that is unsubstantiated at this time. We will know for sure if and when they open another shop in the Charlotte area.

nissan gtp
04-09-05, 07:03 PM
hahaha

I'd love it if cheep would bail :D

and Target goes back to Champ Car too damnit :thumbup:

Spicoli
04-09-05, 07:24 PM
its ganasti.

:D

they didn't have what it takes to compete. the grammys were on. Tiger is on TVgolf. Chip was never one of us.

FCYTravis
04-09-05, 07:41 PM
So will they drag out the Auroras and 1GCWs to fill the field?

dando
04-09-05, 10:59 PM
Reading b/w the lines....IF FCG leaves the .1RL, the Toyo Yen must be drying up fast.

-Kevin

extramundane
04-09-05, 10:59 PM
Makes sense, given the Ganassi-Toyota-NASCAR rumors I've heard here in town. I wouldn't be surprised if he was running 3 or 4 cars in Grand-Am next year too.

dando
04-09-05, 11:00 PM

How 'bout Kool Aid consumption? :gomer:

-Kevin

DagoFast
04-10-05, 12:39 AM
Poor Chip! He may have to forage under Nascar grandstands for food soon. :gomer:

Kiwifan
04-10-05, 02:05 AM
When I was walking the Pit lane in Surfers last year a young lady said "don't be surprised "if" Toyota aren't in the IRL after 06. You "may" see Scott race again. ;)" I took that to mean she knew more than me but that's not hard to do these days. lol

Sadly I won't be able to see the race (LB) this year, the first time in 9 years I won't have to get up at 5am. However, if Dixon and Toyota do come back then SKY will no doubt broadcast the races again. I hope.

Interesting times.

Rusty.

Spicoli
04-10-05, 02:19 AM
http://www.hetemeel.com/archive/haha%20flysin%20is%20bloody%20wanker%20to%20the%20 MAX!!!%20SORTED!!.jpg

dando
04-10-05, 02:29 AM
Sadly I won't be able to see the race (LB) this year, the first time in 9 years I won't have to get up at 5am.

Dat just plain sux. :(

Is RD an option for y'all down underish?

-Kevin

Spicoli
04-10-05, 02:57 AM
riginally posted by Jim Wilke
No, the promoter does - which, in this case, is KK Entertainment.

Let's say he spends:
$2 million to prepare a course for the GP of Tulsa.
$1 million for TV.
$2 million for cars per race (18 cars X $4 million per season = $72 million. Subtract $40 million for pay drivers' money and some sponsors)
$1 million just because; series administration, insurance, transportation, legal, accounting, garbage, a thousand other things.

That's $6 million in expenses, give or take. Now, we open the gates at Tulsa. Lotsa folks on Friday and Saturday, 60,000 paying $50 a head on Sunday. Figure $4 million at the gate, another $500,000 in concession profits, parking and the like. Hmm, looks like we're down $1.5 million.

I'm missing something.

cart7
04-10-05, 05:57 AM
It seems to me Cheap's been doing the most bitchin about cost even though he's putting low budget drivers in the seats. Wasn't it late last year he said the RR kits were too expensive, that they should modify the cars just enough to get them to turn right and leave it at that? Too bad for them if it's true. That's 3 cars gone. :laugh:

nrc
04-10-05, 11:47 AM
I'm missing something.

Event sponsorships and hospitality. Somewhere along the line it was mentioned how many corporate chalets have been sold in Edmonton and how much they were going for. It added up to a pretty good chunk of change.

It's amazing. Lemmings change in and out of their "street race lover" costumes quicker than Superman in a phone booth.

spinner26
04-10-05, 11:58 AM
Not to get too far off topic but..................... Do you suppose Rog and or Cheap could be going yoda in NASCAB? I mean Cheaps in pretty deep with yoda and Rog is tied to them pretty well also, just thought since circle jerkin is yodas new thing they might pay Rog and Cheap to leave Dodge?

Spicoli
04-10-05, 12:01 PM
Not to get too far off topic but..................... Do you suppose Rog and or Cheap could be going yoda in NASCAB? I mean Cheaps in pretty deep with yoda and Rog is tied to them pretty well also, just thought since circle jerkin is yodas new thing they might pay Rog and Cheap to leave Dodge?

Gee, ya think? :gomer:

Hot Rod Otis
04-10-05, 12:15 PM
Let me guess, Red Bull Team Cheever is gonna move to Champcar. :p

Racing Truth
04-10-05, 12:39 PM
Let me guess, Red Bull Team Cheever is gonna move to Champcar. :p

:laugh: :laugh:

"And you can put it on the BOOOAAARRDDD, YESSSSS!!"

cart7
04-10-05, 05:14 PM
Saw on the other board that Gordon Kirby is calling this as well with Toyo announcing right after Indy and Honda doing the same at the end of the season they'll follow. Things just keep getting more interesting. :gomer:

Maybe Billy Roe will finally get another much deserved opportunity again.

dando
04-10-05, 05:16 PM
Saw on the other board that Gordon Kirby is calling this as well with Toyo announcing right after Indy and Honda doing the same at the end of the season they'll follow. Things just keep getting more interesting. :gomer:
Go listen to the roundtable audio on the CCWS site. There's a link to it in the CCWS forum here.

-Kevin

redmist
04-10-05, 06:36 PM

Maybe Billy Roe will finally get another much deserved opportunity again.
as we speak, billy roe is polishing his helmet. figuratively and literally. ;)

Eagle104
04-10-05, 06:48 PM
^ :laugh:

Spicoli
04-10-05, 07:52 PM
as we speak, billy roe is polishing his helmet. figuratively and literally. ;)

And you know what? THAT is not a bad thing. :thumbup:

game set match bitches.

eiregosod
04-10-05, 08:04 PM
All we await is for Penske to say that joining the EARL was the worst business decision of his career!

trauma1
04-11-05, 08:53 AM
you called this months ago as i recall, and spyplane claimed it as his scoop after that

Spicoli
04-11-05, 09:00 AM
you called this months ago as i recall, and spyplane claimed it as his scoop after that

Thanks. I think its all coming down soon.

trauma1
04-11-05, 09:12 AM
my brain still has some brain cells after this weekend, :rofl:

dando
04-11-05, 11:20 AM
I think its all coming down soon.
The House of Cards? :) FTG! :flame:

-Kevin

Accipiter
04-11-05, 04:49 PM
If both Toyota and Honda go, Kahlkoven could effectively kill the IRL by shutting down the Cosworth IRL program, couldn't he?

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 05:00 PM
If both Toyota and Honda go, Kahlkoven could effectively kill the IRL by shutting down the Cosworth IRL program, couldn't he?

The Cosworth IRL program should be going away after '05 anyway.

FRANKY
04-11-05, 05:02 PM
Just passing along what was passed along which was passed along. (Too many friends)

First Long Beach:

"Rumor is being presented as fact without anyone even asking for the IRL's side of the story," said one IRL official.

With regards to reports that the IRL has offered $25million to purchase the Long Beach event from Dover Downs Motorsports, the reply was pretty clear. "The IRL is not interested in purchasing an event."

Another high ranking IRL source took it a bit further, "There have been absolutely no discussions about purchasing the event. And we have no interest in purchasing the event."

The IMS/IRL are also not interested in purchasing Dover Downs Motorsports.
The IRL would "like to be chosen to have the Long Beach event"

One IRL official did concede that as much as they want to race at Long Beach, if they don't get the race "it won't be the end of the world".

Toyota and Honda:

The IRL will have a new engine spec beginning in '07 and all the manufacturers are highly interested in finding out what those rules will be. Everyone wants a more affordable spec, but that is where the agreement stops. GM wants something "production based", while Honda wants the ability to develop technology and train engineers.

A Honda official sent along the following response to our query - "Our only official position is that we are contracted through 2006, and fully support the series and its goals, as evidenced by our effort in St. Petersburg last month.

I didn't add anything just cut and pasted what was sent to me.

Spicoli
04-11-05, 05:24 PM
Just passing along what was passed along which was passed along. (Too many friends)

First Long Beach:

"Rumor is being presented as fact without anyone even asking for the IRL's side of the story," said one IRL official.

With regards to reports that the IRL has offered $25million to purchase the Long Beach event from Dover Downs Motorsports, the reply was pretty clear. "The IRL is not interested in purchasing an event."

Another high ranking IRL source took it a bit further, "There have been absolutely no discussions about purchasing the event. And we have no interest in purchasing the event."

The IMS/IRL are also not interested in purchasing Dover Downs Motorsports.
The IRL would "like to be chosen to have the Long Beach event"

One IRL official did concede that as much as they want to race at Long Beach, if they don't get the race "it won't be the end of the world".

Toyota and Honda:

The IRL will have a new engine spec beginning in '07 and all the manufacturers are highly interested in finding out what those rules will be. Everyone wants a more affordable spec, but that is where the agreement stops. GM wants something "production based", while Honda wants the ability to develop technology and train engineers.

A Honda official sent along the following response to our query - "Our only official position is that we are contracted through 2006, and fully support the series and its goals, as evidenced by our effort in St. Petersburg last month.

I didn't add anything just cut and pasted what was sent to me.

How funny.

Baghdad Bob could take lessons from these people.

BTW - where's Fred been lately? :saywhat:

Wheel-Nut
04-11-05, 06:25 PM
. . . .

BTW - where's Fred been lately? :saywhat:

Helping Billy Roe polish his helmet??