PDA

View Full Version : What, no comments about PLN on the Tonight Show?

theunions
04-09-05, 04:33 PM
Best: Memo wasn't (entirely) anonymous.
Second best: Sandra Oh got completely bumped off the show. :rofl:
Third best: IRL smackdown.

Worst: Why did Paul have to say Mario NEVER won Long Beach...when Mario won THRICE driving for Newman-Haas alone? :saywhat:

nrc
04-09-05, 04:42 PM
Because I just watched it. :)

Newman is indeed the man. Class, grace, and very humble. He managed to talk about Champ car and racing and still keep it interesting for the masss. His IRL comment may be lost on most Americans, but hopefully it will be heard loud and clear in Long Beach.

I was hoping for a little bit more spectacular launch for the exit, but I he went easy out of deference for the tight confines of the parking lot. He did managed to set car alarms off, though. :)

nrc
04-09-05, 04:52 PM
More good news. This story says that Newman plans to remain in team ownership although he will retire from acting and driving.
http://grandprix.motorway.com/Stories/0,1413,275%257E27293%257E2803182,00.html

Sean O'Gorman
04-09-05, 06:03 PM
What did he say?

dando
04-09-05, 06:14 PM
PLN = One. :cool: Dude.

-Kevin

nrc
04-09-05, 06:20 PM
What did he say?

Something along the lines of Champ car is the greatest racing in NA and Long Beach should look at the impact on other venues that have switched events.

theunions
04-09-05, 06:59 PM
PLN: "Some other series is trying to take over. It would be too bad. They oughta do an economic impact study on what's happened when IRS - I mean IRL - when they come to other towns."

Leno: "Well, I hope it stays with the Champ Car series."

PLN: "Yes."

Leno: "I hope it will."

Dr. Corkski
04-09-05, 08:45 PM
Leno karts like Ank. :D

dando
04-09-05, 11:02 PM
Leno karts like Ank. :D
He wasn't that bad, was he? :gomer:

-Kevin

Gary
04-09-05, 11:10 PM
He wasn't that bad, was he? :gomer:

-Kevin

PLN got him with a hole shot, after which Leno never had a chance. Amazing reaction time for an 80+ year old. Did some nice slides, too. Hallway racing is a little like street racing in that you need LOTS of skill & guts to make a pass.

G.
04-10-05, 01:44 PM
Both are car guys, PN is a pro.

Now, do you really think that JL is going to beat the Legendary Paul Newman in a race on TV?? Leno threw the race, let Paul get the jump. JMO. I mean, it's Paul freakin Newman!

It would be interesting to have them do it for real, no cameras. Still think that Paul would win but...

It did shock me to hear that the earl is actively going after the race. I mean, I knew it, but to hear it out loud... :shakehead

oddlycalm
04-10-05, 03:02 PM
It did shock me to hear that the earl is actively going after the race. I mean, I knew it, but to hear it out loud... :shakehead I'm assuming that the EARL approach is similar to what they tried in Portland, and if so the organizers were offered the EARL for free or, close to it. :mad:

Good for PLN for saying it out loud to millions, even if most didn't understand, it will have an effect on those that do. The EARL has had it's shills in place and has been conducting a whispering campaign with the local officialdom for a couple years, but since St. Pete it's been the out in the open, gloves off, full court press. You can count on Toyota (race sponsor) and Honda to have both been very heavy handed in their arm twisting as well. So far CCWS has won the showdown at the bankruptcy and over Portland, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

oc

Dave99
04-10-05, 10:11 PM
Just in case anyone missed the show, NBC typically reairs The Tonight Show episodes the week after their original airdate. In other words, look for the PLN show to repeat in the early hours of April 16th.