PDA

View Full Version : Kalkhoven plays hardball in LB

nrc
04-09-05, 02:05 PM
Kalkhoven is talking about the possibility of another race in the LA area if Long Beach doesn't stick with Champ car. Good to know that he recognizes the importance of the race, but worrisome that he thinks he has to play that card.

http://grandprix.motorway.com/Stories/0,1413,275%257E27293%257E2807765,00.html

Interesting that KK says that the IRL tried to buy the LBGP Association. It's also interesting to speculate that part of the reasoning for San Jose might be setting up the infrastructure to either take over the LBGPA or create a new street race in LA. Maybe Champ car is finally thinking two steps ahead instead of two steps behind.

pchall
04-09-05, 02:13 PM
Since there is obviously no way to negotiate with TG about anything on equal terms without wasting jet fuel, at least Kahlkoven and Forsythe are thinking proactively and ahead.

Ed_Severson
04-09-05, 02:28 PM
Well, after reading halfway through the article and finding this steaming pile of **** ...

"Increasingly, race teams, like Penske and Ganassi, and name drivers, from Andretti to Unser, began to defect, often reluctantly."

... I quit reading because now I know I can't believe a word from this idiot's pen.

Reluctantly, my ass. :thumdown:

oddlycalm
04-09-05, 02:58 PM
The biggest issue the Long Beach organizers should consider is the recent non-event in Phoenix. The prospect of being left with Marlo Klain's wedding party rather than the LB Grand Prix crowd should be a very real concern to the race organizers. Even if the attendence fell by only 1/3 it would kill any economy they would have realized from TG underbidding. A particularly well organized competing race a few miles away and a few weeks earlier could gut Long Beach and leave it as a memory in a few years.

Putting a gun to the head of the organizers is a strategy that can backfire, although I suspect the organizers fully grasp the context is a fight for survival. The fact CCWS felt they needed to play that card is simply an accurate reflection of the nature of TG's underbidding effort I imagine. Putting on the race for free just to hold onto it isn't really an option for CCWS. The fact remains that a well organized race a few miles away and a month earlier could easily gut Long Beach, and the organizers will have to consider that seriously.

In the end, the fact K&F invested in Cosworth, a local employer, might also be the deciding factor. If Kalkovan and Forsythe grow Cosworth in the tuner market as they forsee, the LA operation will seriously expand in coming years, and that would mean more traffic for the port. Virtually all the tuner parts come from Asia, and they come into the container docks at Long Beach. The entire purpose of this race is to generate business for the city. TG fits into that picture not at all.

oc

Racing Truth
04-09-05, 03:31 PM
From another April 9 article in the same publication:

"In the unfortunate event that we are not back next year, we know our fans in the L.A. area like to see Champ Car. So we'll hold (a race) for them," said Kalkhoven, who is the most influential and vocal of the three team owners who run Champ Car.

I like the effort and dedication, but this is wishful thinking. Does anyone really believe most Angelinos are committed sporting diehards that just have to have Champ Car?

I point this out to show that there should be concern b/c methinks KK would not be making such a comment if he wasn't worried.

That said, a great crowd, good race ought to give us the edge, so everyone who wants CC at LB should show, IF THEY CAN DO SO.

To the original article, well, wouldn't surprise me a bit, but we have about 3 different versions of this floating out there, so who knows.

DaveL
04-09-05, 04:25 PM
The .1RL is tripping all over themselves to get a street race .

The irony in all of this is too delicious to begin stating.

nrc
04-09-05, 04:35 PM
I like the effort and dedication, but this is wishful thinking. Does anyone really believe most Angelinos are committed sporting diehards that just have to have Champ Car?

Paul Newman seems to think so. :) Perhaps a banner flying over Long Beach would have been money better spent than a banner flying over St. Pete.