PDA

View Full Version : LB future to be decided......

Wally
04-09-05, 01:59 PM
"By the end of May according to Long Beach GP President Michaelian"

Lets see about the 27th or 28th at a track somewhere in the Midwest..... :shakehead

Racing Truth
04-09-05, 03:43 PM
Where did you see that, 'cuz if true, that's a good find (and I don't mean in a positive way)?

IF they are going IRLing, I would guess "Carb" Day would be the day.

Michaelhatesfans
04-10-05, 02:45 AM
Or it could be that KK and the boys want to piss on their parade...

FanofMario
04-10-05, 12:06 PM
It is all about the Yen. Toyota I'm sure is going to flex their muscles at Long Beach. :shakehead

fourrunner
04-10-05, 04:33 PM
If Champ Car isn't gonna get LB ... we'll have a feeling long before the announcement !

SurfaceUnits
04-10-05, 05:00 PM
why does yoda care when they're gone

TravelGal
04-11-05, 12:00 AM
why does yoda care when they're gone

This is a good point, if true. But, it's the dealers' association and the city and Dover Motorsports that are negotiating.

Personally, I see another Portland. You wan the IRL? Great have at it. OH! The couldn't pull it off, okay well, if you really want us to do it we will. Or words to that effect.

Lots of posturing going on here. That's the only thing that's clear.

FRANKY
04-11-05, 12:23 AM
This is a good point, if true. But, it's the dealers' association and the city and Dover Motorsports that are negotiating.

Personally, I see another Portland. You wan the IRL? Great have at it. OH! The couldn't pull it off, okay well, if you really want us to do it we will. Or words to that effect.

Lots of posturing going on here. That's the only thing that's clear.

I think this will be a battle about check books. However TG's checkbook didn't do the job last time he pulled it out, it could easily go CC's way.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-11-05, 12:18 PM
Why have head cheese when you've already got steak and lobster? :confused:

oddlycalm
04-11-05, 03:18 PM
Speed News reported last night that TG is offering to pay Dover $21 million to race there as opposed to collecting a fee. :saywhat: Further news was that the Long Beach City Council is drafting a letter to be approved at a meeting Thurday requesting CCWS contract be extended, however Dover is not contractually obligated to follow their wishes. Apparently, a chance to put $23 million (TG's cash plus the CCWS sanctioning fee savings) in their pockets is something Dover believes it has a fiduciary obligation to it's shareholders to look at seriously.

Dover's head is the one being put on the block as this is a lose/lose for them. If they say no to the Tonybucks/Yen, they face shareholder lawsuits for breach of fiduciary obligation, yet if they cave in to TG and the event bombs (highly likely according to surveys and fan sentiment), they face potentially terminal problems with a city council that asked them to stick with CCWS, not to mention their golden goose gets killed in the process. Kalkovan has said they will not negotiate for the event, and that was the same position they took with Portland. That's a gutsy move, and one that also puts the ball squarely in Dover's court.

The sad irony is that it's a win/win for TG. The risk for TG is not financial, as we can be sure the money is coming from Toyoda and Honda. On one hand he gets a premier event away from arch rival CCWS. His worst case scenario is that the LBGP declines drastically in stature and in doing so props up his i500's stature as a premier US event. :shakehead That was his grandaddy's strategy; let there be other events, just don't allow any of them to get big enough to threaten the stature of Indy as the premier race. On the other hand, if Dover turns him down, he can foment shareholder problems for Dover management and try again with a management that has been "tenderized" by shareholder suits.

Did I mention what a steaming turd TG is?

oc

cameraman
04-11-05, 03:29 PM
The risk for TG is not financial, as we can be sure the money is coming from Toyoda and Honda. Why would either of them contribute to the cause if they are leaving the IRL after 2006?

RichK
04-11-05, 03:33 PM
Apparently, a chance to put $23 million (TG's cash plus the CCWS sanctioning fee savings) in their pockets is something Dover believes it has a fiduciary obligation to it's shareholders to look at seriously.
oc

Unless TG plans on paying this much every year, perhaps The City of LB has a case that lost monies over the years with the .4RL could exceed the $23 million over time.

fourrunner
04-11-05, 03:46 PM
Let's hope Tony uses the same Lawyers he used for the CART Buyout ! :)

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 04:35 PM
Wait, that moron is offering more for Long Beach than he did for CART's assets? :shakehead

eiregosod
04-11-05, 04:49 PM
$21m to buy LB. he only offered $13m for CART , put that one into perspective.

If it is Yoda/Honda bucks that are behind it, they must want to diminish the stature of the race, so the LB crowd might venture to Fontana for the stock cars

Hard Driver
04-11-05, 04:54 PM
Toyota no Pressure (http://http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=2033720)

Jim Michaelian, president and CEO of the Long Beach event, said the decision on the return of Champ Car or the move to IRL will be made within 30 to 60 days following Sunday's featured race.

Les Unger, head of motorsports for longtime event sponsor Toyota, which formerly provided engines to the CART series and now supplies them for IRL teams, said the company has not tried to steer Long Beach toward either series.

"We'll never do that,'' Unser said. "There's been only seven years out of the 31 we've been associated with this event when we as a manufacturer have been involved as an engine maker in the key event here.

"We have confidence in the people who run this event to let them make that decision. We aren't putting any pressure on them either way.''

So Toyota says they are not selecting sides. But are they giving money to Tony to subsidize the IRL bid?

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 04:57 PM
So Toyota says they are not selecting sides. But are they giving money to Tony to subsidize the IRL bid?

When they are likely to leave after '06, if not '05?

NismoZ
04-11-05, 06:05 PM
I hear KK is offering to move Cosworth to Long Beach from nearby Torrence(jobs!)...maybe that's as good as a bunch of money upfront? Think in the long term, LB, Dover, etc.

Michaelhatesfans
04-11-05, 06:45 PM
Tony,

Don't f**** with KK. He will pulverise you. Every time. You're a slow learner.

Yours,

Michaelhatesfans

skaven
04-11-05, 06:50 PM
I hear KK is offering to move Cosworth to Long Beach from nearby Torrence(jobs!)...maybe that's as good as a bunch of money upfront? Think in the long term, LB, Dover, etc.

I have a bad feeling about Long Beach, but I think it is a grand offer by KK to move the Cosworth jobs to Long Beach.

KK is willing to invest in the race and the community. I imagine the local buzz in Long Beach would be strong when the champcars are all powered by engines made there in town. I'm sure many Socals would continue to take "ownership" of their event and it would grow year after year. That needs to be done at all races, not just Long Beach.

We might lose Long Beach yet, but as long as KK is around, I think we're ok.

I think KK gets it.

Andrew Longman
04-11-05, 06:56 PM
I think it is equally possible that a Dover announcement on LB in May is timed to an announcement by Toyota that they are leaving the IRL.

All this squawk about Toyota this week is timed nicely to counter the IRL pitch for LB. Coincidence? Naw.

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 07:25 PM
Does Chris Pook still have any influence at Dover?

Jervis Tetch 1
04-11-05, 07:28 PM
Does Chris Pook still have any influence at Dover?
According to Ballard at the Indy Star he still does have some power. Guess we'll find out.

Spicoli
04-11-05, 08:09 PM
Ya'll need to look at the big picture:

1. 85% of the crowd at LBGP says yes to CCWS, and F-IRL.
2. EARL Gomerati are publicly stating today they are "not trying to steal anything", and are not getting into a "bidding war".
3. EARL Gomerati are saying if they do not get LBGP, no big deal one way or the other.
4. Unger stating that the sponsorship is NOT dependant on Yoda fielding cars their in the title class.
5. KK is working the "lobbying" route hard. Reports from those at the race are VERY positive.
6. Yoda is leaving EARL.

We're in the catbird seat. You never know until the fat lady sings, but I truly believe this one is in the bag for us. :thumbup:

fourrunner
04-11-05, 08:22 PM
Unless there is a "Spite" motive in ISC's decision (which wouldn't benefit anybody)... I can't see this going anyway but ChampCars !

I would hope Long Beach would find "Toxic Waste" under the Streets where the Race is held, thus needing to tear it up for the forseeable future ...

Should IRL prevail ;)

nrc
04-11-05, 10:11 PM
It's interesting that the rumor started as KK buying Long Beach and then it turned around the other way. Both sides deny it.

Here's my theory. The IRL denies trying to buy Long Beach because they didn't. Instead it's Andretti/Green's promotional company with support from Honda and a silent partner who happens to have a mailing address at 16th and Georgetown. This might make some sense because even if Honda does decide to bail, they'd love to strip Toyota of their premiere SoCal event as a lovely parting gift.

So they start talking to Dover but Champ car gets wind of it and warns Dover that they'll rain down seven kinds of SEC hellfire on them if they try to make a deal under the table. Dover abruptly breaks off talks leading the IRL to assume that Champ car has countered their offer and won. Thus RB's bar room rumor.

In summary: Colonel Mustard in the Library with a rope.

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-05, 10:44 PM
Unless there is a "Spite" motive in ISC's decision (which wouldn't benefit anybody)... I can't see this going anyway but ChampCars !

I would hope Long Beach would find "Toxic Waste" under the Streets where the Race is held, thus needing to tear it up for the forseeable future ...

Should IRL prevail ;)

What does ISC have to do with it?

indyfan31
04-11-05, 11:38 PM
Les Unger, head of motorsports for longtime event sponsor Toyota, which formerly provided engines to the CART series and now supplies them for IRL teams, said the company has not tried to steer Long Beach toward either series.

"We'll never do that,'' Unser said. "There's been only seven years out of the 31 we've been associated with this event when we as a manufacturer have been involved as an engine maker in the key event here.

Does the AP not have an editor or copy checker that can tell the difference between Ungar and Unser?

stroker
04-12-05, 12:10 AM
Does the AP not have an editor or copy checker that can tell the difference between Ungar and Unser?

What, you're looking for accuracy from AP?

fourrunner
04-12-05, 01:16 AM
What does ISC have to do with it?

Doesn't ISC own everything ... I have them fused in my brain!

I meant Dover Motorsports of course!

DagoFast
04-12-05, 05:23 PM
It's interesting that the rumor started as KK buying Long Beach and then it turned around the other way. Both sides deny it.

Here's my theory. The IRL denies trying to buy Long Beach because they didn't. Instead it's Andretti/Green's promotional company with support from Honda and a silent partner who happens to have a mailing address at 16th and Georgetown. This might make some sense because even if Honda does decide to bail, they'd love to strip Toyota of their premiere SoCal event as a lovely parting gift.

So they start talking to Dover but Champ car gets wind of it and warns Dover that they'll rain down seven kinds of SEC hellfire on them if they try to make a deal under the table. Dover abruptly breaks off talks leading the IRL to assume that Champ car has countered their offer and won. Thus RB's bar room rumor.

Thats my bet as well. If LB goes to the darkside, Fonduh's name will be all over it. Toeknee is just their errand boy. :gomer:

Ferdman
04-12-05, 05:28 PM
Thats my bet as well. If LB goes to the darkside, Fonduh's name will be all over it. Toeknee is just their errand boy. :gomer:

You mean Tony George is just Honda's little b*tch? OK, I get it.

racer2c
04-12-05, 05:31 PM

You are a clever man nrc. :thumbup:

mueber
04-12-05, 05:32 PM
I don’t know where the money is coming from, and I don’t care. Furthermore, Champ Car can’t afford a biding war.

Champ Car should make an offer that is fair to all sides, and if tony “pays” to race at Long Beach, politely let them know we will still be here when Boy George self destructs.

BTW: Have tickets for Cleveland and Milwaukee, and Sunday got a call from my brother out in Colorado asking if I want to come out for the Grand Prix of Denver. I said, "yes" of course.

mueber
04-12-05, 05:42 PM
I don’t know where the money is coming from, and I don’t care. Furthermore, Champ Car can’t afford a biding war.

Champ Car should make an offer that is fair to all sides, and if tony “pays” to race at Long Beach, politely let them know we will still be here when Boy George self destructs.

BTW: Have tickets for Cleveland and Milwaukee, and Sunday got a call from my brother out in Colorado asking if I want to come out for the Grand Prix of Denver. I said, "yes" of course.

Cart Champion
04-12-05, 07:49 PM
Making a decision around May 27th, 28th? Somethings rotten in Long Beach and its not garbage. :gomer:

RARules
04-12-05, 11:28 PM
To the Long Beach organizers:

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Beware the "Portland effect".