PDA

View Full Version : Indy Star on Kalhoven Injury / funny Vasser comments

Paintergeek
04-09-05, 10:48 AM
I hope this is OK in this forum. If not, Feel free to move it.

Snippet from todays Indy/Star

"Kalkhoven has his right arm in a sling after what he described as a hit-and-run collision with a snow boarder two weeks ago while skiing in Aspen, Colo. "My arm is broken in seven places and it tore the whole rotator cuff off," he said. "The only good thing is that I get to take a lot of great pills. Legally." . . . Veteran driver Jimmy Vasser was amused by the comments coming out of St. Petersburg, Fla., last week after the Indy Racing League's first street race. "It was like they invented it," the 1996 CART champion said. "They're morphing into what CART used to be. What does that tell you? That the IRL failed with the business model it started with."

rabbit
04-09-05, 11:08 AM
"They're morphing into what CART used to be. What does that tell you? That the IRL failed with the business model it started with."Ding! Ding! Ding!

Johnny, tell him what he's won!

Spicoli
04-09-05, 01:03 PM
Jimmy is da man.

Those jacktards in EARL can steal, buy, copy everything that we do, and they are still a second rate sack of losers, wannabees and apologists. they are so far down the addiction to the KoolAid that they can;t see what utter fools they are.

The .1RL (sorry, .4RL this week :rolleyes: ) is the stupid answer to an even stupider question that nobody asked.

spinner26
04-09-05, 01:29 PM
It's nice to here Snake say that, but didn't we already know this? duh! :saywhat:

KLang
04-09-05, 01:42 PM
My arm is broken in seven places and it tore the whole rotator cuff off

OW! :eek: :cry:

pchall
04-09-05, 02:24 PM
OW! :eek: :cry:

Snowboards have basically chased me off the local bunny hill facilities since I've got way too much titanium screwed into me already to risk a major hit by a dude on a board. And this was when I was just getting really good again in the short swing and jet mambo on my 210 Rossis -- parallel skiing is tough when your bod' can't remember which leg is now shorter than the other.

Opposite Lock
04-09-05, 02:51 PM
Jimmy is da man.

Yes. Yes he is. :thumbup:

but who calls him "Snake"?

oddlycalm
04-09-05, 03:09 PM
"Kalkhoven has his right arm in a sling after what he described as a hit-and-run collision with a snow boarder two weeks ago" Hope he was able to get up and stick his pole in the eye of the drooler that did it. I'd really not like to see Kalkovan out of the game at this point.

"They're morphing into what CART used to be. What does that tell you? That the IRL failed with the business model it started with." Thanks for pointing that out publically to whoever was listening, and keep up the good words Jeemy. :thumbup:

oc

Winston Wolfe
04-09-05, 11:55 PM
I saw Jeemy get interviewed by none other than Robin Miller, and when he was asked about the start of the season and the importance of LB, Jeemy said something to the effect of "Look there was a poll taken by the LB Press Telegram, and 85% of the people said they want CART \ Champcar here. so I guess the fans have spoken"....

Jeemy gets it ! :thumbup:

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-10-05, 11:47 AM
I hope Kevin recovers fully and quickly.

I hope Jimmy keeps talking.

FanofMario
04-10-05, 12:02 PM
Let's give Jimmy a live mic on NBC today! :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
04-10-05, 01:41 PM
You can always count on Jimmy to be upfront about how he feels. Nice quote! :thumbup:

nrc
04-10-05, 03:47 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/04/10/990249-sun.html

KK ups the ante.

TravelGal
04-10-05, 11:56 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/04/10/990249-sun.html

KK ups the ante.

"But the general assumption in the racing industry is that if Champ Car loses Long Beach it might be the final battle lost to keep the series alive. "

This so completely asinine. IF you take it that losing LB will kill the series. If you take it that it's the last battle we'll ever lose, then I'll try to lower my blood pressure a little.

DaveL
04-11-05, 12:02 AM
Take a look at all of the things Champcar has lost in the last 4 years. These were near fatal blows. If anything, Champcar has learned how to react and stay a step ahead to keep alive. If they lose Long Beach Champcar will still be there whether the Gomers like it or not. They'll do something else and adapt like they've been doing since 2003. No one wants to lose Long Beach, but people, come on, Champcar has lost much more at worse critical moments. It will more than survive losing Long Beach if it happens.

nrc
04-11-05, 12:20 AM
I don't know whether it would be a fatal blow, but it would certainly damage the growing impression that they've turned things around and they're coming back.

FRANKY
04-11-05, 12:21 AM
"But the general assumption in the racing industry is that if Champ Car loses Long Beach it might be the final battle lost to keep the series alive. "

This so completely asinine. IF you take it that losing LB will kill the series. If you take it that it's the last battle we'll ever lose, then I'll try to lower my blood pressure a little.

I agree. Plus if they get the race, they will have to do better in crowd and racing, there would be a heap of bad press if they didn't keep the same crowds. I would be more concerned with Champ Car's replacement race.

SurfaceUnits
04-11-05, 01:16 AM
Seb blasted earl on indy gomervision 6 tonight. Said earl is bull(beep)siht and repeated Vasser's statements. :p

theunions
04-11-05, 02:22 AM
Seb blasted earl on indy gomervision 6 tonight. Said earl is bull(beep)siht and repeated Vasser's statements. :p

This after his on-site praise of St. Pete last week? :saywhat:

Andrew Longman
04-11-05, 08:49 AM
"A poll published in the Long Beach Press-Telegram yesterday showed overwhelming support for Champ Car -- 85% to just 10% for the IRL. "

That's actually stunning. How many men in the streets even know the difference? I guess quite a few.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-11-05, 12:15 PM
Jimmy has always told it like it is, whether it's the press, teammates, competitors or the fans.

The man has balls!

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-11-05, 07:06 PM
Jimmy has stood by the series through thick and thin. He has driven for a team owner who "made" him as former team member take a back seat to the outstanding rookie. He is a class act and very passionate for what he believes in.

RacinM3
04-11-05, 07:27 PM
Yep, Jimmy has been a long-time CART/Champ Car supporter. A couple of years back, when all the talk about going to Earl-spec motors in CART was happening, I ran into Jeemy at a LA Kings game. He was very clear about how he felt about going to the non-turbo engines. Suffice to say his comments on the issue were not supportive.

Opposite Lock
04-11-05, 08:03 PM
Jeemy quote from right around Portland last year:

"I feel strongly that Champ Car fans are dug in deeper in this 'war,' if you want to call it that, than anybody," Vasser said. "They are more dug in than the drivers who dance over and back the line. I can't tell a fan in Portland what they should or should not feel, but I know the Champ Car fans in Portland are loyal. A lot of them probably would not go to an IRL race. Those kind of fans are the reason Champ Car is still alive."

(I forgot to copy/paste the source when I added this to my CCWS quotes collection - sorry. :saywhat: )