PDA

View Full Version : Race Director SUCKS!

Turn7
04-08-05, 02:47 PM
Don't waste your money.

I did and am totally regreting it.

No Friday Video.
No Saturday morning video.
No Refunds.

What do you get? A track map that doesn't work and a bunch of excuses about working the kinks out.

racer2c
04-08-05, 02:50 PM
All I need is live timing and I'm happy. Until the race that is.

Turn7
04-08-05, 03:00 PM
They are offering that for free.
http://gmsleaderboard.vfx.com/ChampCar/Free_LiveTiming.asp

Audi_A4
04-08-05, 03:05 PM
what!? no video ... good thing I didnt pay for it .. I was .. this close

Turn7
04-08-05, 03:10 PM
supposedly, video on practice 3 and sat. qual.

we'll see if that happens. :shakehead

KLang
04-08-05, 03:11 PM
From the CCWS forums:

All please note:

1) There will be no video sessions on Friday's as the television team is not setup to provide us feeds until the Saturday sessions.

2) Timing and Scoring will be available for all sessions.

3) Telemetry will be available for all video sessions.

"The Race Director"
Administrator

I don't think the telemetry was working right for the first session. Hopefully they will get that fixed.

Turn7
04-08-05, 03:23 PM
They banned me from the champcar.ws forum for complaining about the race director service. :shakehead

RichK
04-08-05, 03:31 PM
The admin just said to privately message him if you want a refund.

Sean O'Gorman
04-08-05, 03:35 PM
Yeah I set up my laptop and was all set to start watching some practice here at work and then I find out there is no video footage today. :(

G.
04-08-05, 03:37 PM
They banned me from the champcar.ws forum for complaining about the race director service. :shakeheadThey banned A Banner??

Turn7
04-08-05, 03:39 PM
^^^

Yup.

G.
04-08-05, 03:47 PM
Guess they want a gomerforum for CC. Must. Tow. Company. Line.

SOG, whatever you do, don't post anything about Grand Am over there! :p

Racing Truth
04-08-05, 04:02 PM
Guess they want a gomerforum for CC. Must. Tow. Company. Line.

SOG, whatever you do, don't post anything about Grand Am over there! :p

Oh, I don't know, I think a long exposition on the inherent greatness that is Grand-Am is ALWAYS in order! ;) :D j/k

Andrew Longman
04-08-05, 04:03 PM
Last year they did not have video for all sessions and so I was not shocked that it wasn't on today. Surprised and disappointed yes, especially since all their advertising gave another impression (to me at least).

I can see not having video if the network isn't already out there paying for cameramen and the chopper needed for the in cars, but at least pump in the car to crew radio. That take's nothing but hardware.

Telemetry did not seem to work, but I'll grant them one session (maybe two) with the actual cars actually on track to sort that out.

I was just glad to check out anything new about an actual champ car actually putting down lap times. Its been a long winter. And we shouldn't slam it too much because only increased memberships will improve the amount of coverage we get from it.

And T7, I understand your frustration, and while I don't know what or how you said it on their forum you have to understand that they don't want people "disturbing the customers". ;)

tllips
04-08-05, 04:05 PM
Wasn't there a webcam that showed live pictures of Long Beach? Anybody remember this or was I dreaming?

Not that it gave you race coverage like TV or Race Director, but I remember occasionally being able to see a car go by.

G.
04-08-05, 04:08 PM
They banned A Banner??Hey, waitaminit. If they banned you, then you cannot send a PM to the admins to get a refund....

Brilliant!

GOFAST1
04-08-05, 04:19 PM
I could live without race director but for 24 bucks I put my foot where my mouth is and give my support to my favorite racing formula in time of rebuilding.GO A.J.

KLang
04-08-05, 04:31 PM
They banned me from the champcar.ws forum for complaining about the race director service. :shakehead

Maybe if you send RaceChic a sweet email she will let you back in. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
04-08-05, 05:04 PM
Maybe if you send RaceChic a sweet email she will let you back in. ;)

Pfft, good luck. Despite the rule that everyone has to share avatars, she wouldn't let me use the special Race Chic avatar. :cry: :)

KLang
04-08-05, 05:05 PM
Looks like the telemetry is working now. :thumbup:

I agree they need to give us some sort of audio feed.

nissan gtp
04-08-05, 07:27 PM
Pfft, good luck. Despite the rule that everyone has to share avatars, she wouldn't let me use the special Race Chic avatar. :cry: :)

I seriously doubt you have the bod for it :laugh:

nissan gtp
04-08-05, 07:28 PM

And T7, I understand your frustration, and while I don't know what or how you said it on their forum you have to understand that they don't want people "disturbing the customers". ;)

aren't we the customers ?

fourrunner
04-08-05, 08:21 PM
If things are shaky this weekend on Race Director, I'm out $1.78 for this race

I just wrote a Big check to the IRS for last years taxes ... Now you want to talk about getting SCREWED ... And there isn't a number to call to get your money back!

Race Director will settle out ! :thumbup:

trish
04-08-05, 08:34 PM
Don't waste your money.

I did and am totally regreting it.

No Friday Video.
No Saturday morning video.
No Refunds.

What do you get? A track map that doesn't work and a bunch of excuses about working the kinks out.
World Pay doesn't give you a refund?

dando
04-08-05, 08:38 PM
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, considering it's the first race. Plus, $25 out of my pocket to support the series I love, and drive a stake further into FTG's 'heart', is well worth it for me. :thumbup:

Now get back to me tomorrow if RD still has issues like today. :saywhat:

-Kevin

trish
04-08-05, 08:50 PM
Wasn't there a webcam that showed live pictures of Long Beach? Anybody remember this or was I dreaming?

Not that it gave you race coverage like TV or Race Director, but I remember occasionally being able to see a car go by.It was here (http://grandprix.motorway.com) last year but it doesn't look like there is one for this year.

Fitti Fan
04-08-05, 08:54 PM

Have you really been banned? Any warnings? Why exactly did you get banned?

Dr. Corkski
04-08-05, 10:12 PM
I seriously doubt you have the bod for it :laugh:He has the femininity for it. :gomer:

Twisty Bits
04-09-05, 12:32 AM
I'm gonna be working some weekends, perfect time killer at work, money well spent

CART License
04-09-05, 03:40 AM
Sounds like the poor sole spent his last two cents, if CC won’t refund the riches I personally will!! Do you except PayPay ?

Turn7
04-09-05, 08:36 AM
Sounds like the poor sole spent his last two cents, if CC won’t refund the riches I personally will!! Do you except PayPay ?
:rolleyes:

Turn7
04-09-05, 08:42 AM
Have you really been banned? Any warnings? Why exactly did you get banned?

Yup. no warning. I complained that the Race Director service sucked. They offered a refund. I accepted it. As soon as I accepted the offer of a refund, I was banned from the forum.

My posts are still there, so it couldn't of been that I personally attacked anybody or used foul language. They just got their panties in a wad because their **** wasn't in order. Instead of apologizing for the misfortune, they started making excuses and saying "you got to expect bugs". BS, I am a software engineer. You don't deliver a pay product and expect your user base to be your functional test group and then not want to hear about the problems they encountered.

I have seen better delivery from a high school student project than this official Champ Car product.

KLang
04-09-05, 10:02 AM
I suspect it was a combination of 'This F'n sucks' and the now deleted post that started out with 'WTF?'.

They aren't taking any guff off anyone it seems. After watching the various forums over the years I can't say that I blame them.

fourrunner
04-09-05, 11:06 AM
I suspect it was a combination of 'This F'n sucks' and the now deleted post that started out with 'WTF?'.

They aren't taking any guff off anyone it seems. After watching the various forums over the years I can't say that I blame them.

You have to remember that the first go round at the Forums over at Champ Cars Site a couple month's ago lasted only a day because of craziness..... So they're being more careful ... But Maybe TOO CAREFUL.

dando
04-09-05, 11:17 AM
Yup. no warning. I complained that the Race Director service sucked. They offered a refund. I accepted it. As soon as I accepted the offer of a refund, I was banned from the forum.

My posts are still there, so it couldn't of been that I personally attacked anybody or used foul language. They just got their panties in a wad because their **** wasn't in order. Instead of apologizing for the misfortune, they started making excuses and saying "you got to expect bugs". BS, I am a software engineer. You don't deliver a pay product and expect your user base to be your functional test group and then not want to hear about the problems they encountered.

I have seen better delivery from a high school student project than this official Champ Car product.

Um, kinda hard to properly coduct an integration test b4 the first race, and with a new broadcast partner, eh? Chill, d00d. If you would prefer, the .1RL has a fantastic free live timing & scoring utility... :shakehead

-Kevin

nrc
04-09-05, 12:24 PM
Since audio/video is a big chunk of what subscribers are paying for now that timing is free, I think it's reasonable to expect something on Friday. Set up a static web cam pointed down pit row and pipe in audio from the track PA.

KLang
04-09-05, 01:40 PM
Since audio/video is a big chunk of what subscribers are paying for now that timing is free, I think it's reasonable to expect something on Friday. Set up a static web cam pointed down pit row and pipe in audio from the track PA.

Agreed. I think they'll come up with something before the next domestic race. I think last year the only reason we had the Friday coverage we did for the US and Canada races was because HDNet was there all weekend.

nrc
04-09-05, 01:56 PM
Also, the telemetry app doesn't work at all on my Firefox/Linux system at all. Just a window with timing below an black box with two "choose" buttons that don't work. Obviously not a supported platform but using java there's no reason it shouldn't work.

KLang
04-09-05, 05:03 PM
I've got video on camera 1 but no audio so far.

KLang
04-09-05, 05:04 PM
Audio now. :thumbup:

Ah, the sweet sounds of Champcar. :cool:

Andrew Longman
04-09-05, 06:10 PM
Son and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Telemetrt never did work, but cameras, audio, radio and timing was a blast even if imperfect. :thumbup:

cameraman
04-09-05, 06:32 PM
The video now works when using a Macintosh in the main window but it can't function as a pop up. That alone is a huge improvement over last year. Unfortunately the car radio tries and fails to open as a pop up. That might be fixable.

Can you view video and listen to the radio at the same time on a pc? The video has sound so does the radio override the audio from the video?

nissan gtp
04-09-05, 06:58 PM
You have to remember that the first go round at the Forums over at Champ Cars Site a couple month's ago lasted only a day because of craziness..... So they're being more careful ... But Maybe TOO CAREFUL.

:D a bunch of second graders could have done a better job with the first try

they got it right this time, forum is ok so far, not gonna be possible to loosen it up much, otherwise they'll get another disaster

trish
04-09-05, 07:08 PM
The video now works when using a Macintosh in the main window but it can't function as a pop up. That alone is a huge improvement over last year. Unfortunately the car radio tries and fails to open as a pop up. That might be fixable.

Can you view video and listen to the radio at the same time on a pc? The video has sound so does the radio override the audio from the video?
Yes you can listen to different audio at the same time, there is no override.

KLang
04-09-05, 08:35 PM
Anyone else think the video quality is better this year? Mine was rock solid all through practice and qualifying. Last year it was usually pretty shaky on my satellite connection. Might be improvements in windows media player I suppose but today the quality was great.

EDwardo
04-09-05, 09:01 PM
Overall, I thought the quality was very good. There were some digital artifacts and the buffering was a bit slow. (I have a 110mbps cable connection)

The turbos sounded awesome. The little picture in a picture was interesting even though there were periods of sky and concrete. I spent a lot of time with Bourdais' incar camera and was treated to some hair raising laps.

It wasn't perfect but hey, its the internet!

ncmlj
04-10-05, 11:02 AM
Overall, I thought the quality was very good. There were some digital artifacts and the buffering was a bit slow. (I have a 110mbps cable connection)

The turbos sounded awesome. The little picture in a picture was interesting even though there were periods of sky and concrete. I spent a lot of time with Bourdais' incar camera and was treated to some hair raising laps.

It wasn't perfect but hey, its the internet!

110 mbps??????? Are you serious? Who do you get your cable from? I am at 3mbps I had no problems. I think I spent my money well. Ya wasn't happy with Friday but, Friday has passed :)

RaceGrrl
04-10-05, 01:39 PM
I enjoyed RD yesterday, but couldn't run it in Mozilla, which stinks. It also hung up on me a couple of times and I had to close IE and restart it again to resume coverage.

I hate the user interface. It's far too busy and someone who isn't very familiar with their browser might have trouble with it.

Overall, I like having the extra features but I feel like the bugginess of the program and the gimmicky feel of the interface is something that CCWS should have done better on.

EDwardo
04-10-05, 02:01 PM
110 mbps??????? Are you serious? Who do you get your cable from? I am at 3mbps I had no problems. I think I spent my money well. Ya wasn't happy with Friday but, Friday has passed :)

Time/Warner Roadrunner! :)

devilmaster
04-10-05, 02:09 PM

Can't stress this enough! Use the resources already at your disposal....

If done right, RD is the hallmark for geeks on what is possible out there.... A few articles in a wired mag would be some good coverage....

dando
04-10-05, 04:24 PM
BTW, it's working flawlessly now. :thumbup:

-Kevin

fourrunner
04-10-05, 04:26 PM
It's Race Time ... Race Director is working Flawlessly !! :thumbup:

dando
04-10-05, 04:44 PM
It's Race Time ... Race Director is working Flawlessly !! :thumbup:
Jinx. ;)

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
04-10-05, 07:45 PM
And if you had RD you would have seen the start.